Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question: Can I share my checked baggage allowance in J with a travel companion in Y?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question: Can I share my checked baggage allowance in J with a travel companion in Y?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2017, 2:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GO, CX SL
Can I share my checked baggage allowance in J with a travel companion in Y?

I have tried to search but did not come across anything that covers my situation.

In January, I will be flying YYC-YVR-SFO in J with 2 bags checked baggage allowance. My travel companion is doing YYC-YVR only in Y. Since I only have 1 bag to check in, could I use my remaining allowance to check my companion's bag in? Would it be additionally difficult that he only going to YVR?

My gut is saying they will have issues with this. If it's not possible, I can take both bags with me to SFO (we're meeting up in HND the next day). Any insights into this situation would be greatly appreciated. I have no status in *A.

Many thanks for entertaining my post!
Old Dec 3, 2017, 2:31 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Worst case they check it under your name. I'd ask:

1) can I share my luggage allowance with him even though we're going to different final destinations?
If no:
2) can you just short check his bag to YVR under my name? (Works best if you have your own bag which will be checked all the way to SF)
If no: 3) can you ask your supervisor if they're ok with it.

I wouldn't suggest taking someone else's bag with you across a border unless you trust them unconditionally
Old Dec 3, 2017, 2:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pewpew
Worst case they check it under your name. I'd ask:

1) can I share my luggage allowance with him even though we're going to different final destinations?
If no:
2) can you just short check his bag to YVR under my name? (Works best if you have your own bag which will be checked all the way to SF)
If no: 3) can you ask your supervisor if they're ok with it.

I wouldn't suggest taking someone else's bag with you across a border unless you trust them unconditionally
Thanks pewpew, I wouldn't hesitate taking my companions's bag with me since we're travelling for a month together and will be living pretty much in each others' pockets, but definitely a good warning to consider.

From your suggestions, we'll approach the check in desk together and run through the options as stated above. Much appreciated for your help!
Old Dec 3, 2017, 5:21 am

Programs: AC E75K, Amex Plat, NEXUS, Aman-user (not really a -junkie)
You'll have more probability of this working if you do the same thing with both bags and don't bother revealing that one bag isn't yours IMO.

​​​​​​Alternatively, check in both bags but short check one to YVR.

If you say you are using your baggage allowance for someone else, that will likely fail.
​​​​​
Old Dec 3, 2017, 5:30 am

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
short check both bags

Originally Posted by xray
You'll have more probability of this working if you do the same thing with both bags and don't bother revealing that one bag isn't yours IMO.
​​​​​​Alternatively, check in both bags but short check one to YVR.
If you say you are using your baggage allowance for someone else, that will likely fail.
​​​​​
My advice is similar, more risk averse. Tell the AC agent you want to short check both of "your" bags to YVR. Watch them put the correct baggage tags (incl. Priority tags, BTW). In YVR, go with your companion to retrieve both bags (NB In YVR, they do check tags so bags aren't lifted). Then, you go upstairs and re-check in your bag to your final destination.

This approach adds a few extra minutes to your time landside in YVR - and adds considerably to your peace of mind.
canopus27 and canadiancow like this.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 12:30 am
Original Poster

Would 1hr15 allow me enough time to reclaim baggage and then check in? I'll also need to complete pre-clearance which was a pain last time I did it in YYZ.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 6:23 am

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold
Originally Posted by towski
Would 1hr15 allow me enough time to reclaim baggage and then check in? I'll also need to complete pre-clearance which was a pain last time I did it in YYZ.
1:15 hrs from scheduled arrival to scheduled departure? I'd say it is close to impossible even at a relatively efficient airport like YVR. I fly through YVR regularly and while I sometimes had may bags within minutes after arrival I also had several incidents with wait times of 45+ minutes (not just me but everyone on the same flight).

As for pre-clearance, so far I have had very good experiences at both YVR and YYZ. Very fast and efficient. If you go landside at YVR queues at the US security checks can be very long though. Nexus speeds up the process significantly, being in C without Nexus does not really help.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 8:51 pm

Programs: Aeroplan E50/MM, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
​​​​​[/QUOTE]

I think it might raise alarm bells with all the security concerns these days.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 8:56 pm

Programs: Aeroplan E50/MM, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
Originally Posted by towski
This would be a very very close call in my experience, even if very smooth sailing. What if you got a random from US security? What if the inbound was delayed? What if security lines were long....... Raises my anxiety and I’m not on your PNR. Besides, wouldn’t leave you any time for the super duper MLL transborder lounge at YVR.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 9:25 pm

I'd say try short checking 1 bag. Just say you have things you want to leave with a family member in YVR but won't have time to recheck your 2nd bag in YVR.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 6:36 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Given both the $28 cost to check a domestic bag (<= 23kg), the meeting in SFO for HND the day after, and the 1h15 connection I‘d really query the value of attempting to do this.

I’d take them both to SFO, or if needed in YVR pay. Less stress as you sit waiting to leave YYZ wondering if you’ll misconnect.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 8:35 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by Bartolo
​​​​​
I think it might raise alarm bells with all the security concerns these days.[/QUOTE]

Any time I have checked in with someone else with me. They check in agents don't pay that much attention to making certain the baggage tags are assigned correctly to each passenger.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 9:28 am

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
I would recommend that, when you check in, you let the GA know what you are doing and why. The GA may do it for you, or may say no. It is hit and miss. I don't believe that the concerns with regards to security, etc, are valid. It is someone else's bag, being carried by that someone else, just being checked in under your name. I have checked family member bags for TB flights under my name many times. They have always traveled to the same destination, though.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 9:34 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Simply check both bags to SFO under your name and be done with it. You are meeting up there and flying onwards for 2 month together.

There is not enough time for you to reclaim bags, recheck, pass through CBP Preclearance, and security and make it to your departure gate.

The downside risks far outweigh this and even the $28 for checking a bag.

No, you can't share an allowance. Even with someone traveling with you.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 2:16 am
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for their input, I think I'll just take them both with me to SFO, seems the easiest method considering my travel buddy won't need his bag until we reach HND anyway.

I'm considering the option to short check the bag but there are a few uncertainties that I'm not willing to deal with at this stage.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.