Wiki Posts
Search

Swiss first class bookable!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2017, 5:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by roder
Was booked on a Monday DUB-ZRH, Overnight layover in ZRH; then Tuesday ZRH-LAX-SFO

No direct contact from Aeroplan or LX, but this morning received an updated e-ticket, for a Tuesday flight DUB-YYZ (AC A330J) YYZ-SFO (AC A320J). Both Segments are in I class, and were not available- so they must have opened them.

I'm really unhappy for a few reasons:

1) If i was going straight back to the US, I would want to leave Dublin on Monday, not Tuesday
2) I would much rather have taken a longer layover in YYZ and flew the 767 to SFO so I can get a lie flat the whole way vs the A320
3) They did not refund me any miles for the trip
4) The A330 product looks weak. I wish it was the 77W or 787, but I'm not sure there's anything that can be done there (unless I try to go to LHR instead)

Should I call Aeroplan and try and have them adjust this to a more acceptable itinerary? I'm still holding out a very small degree of hope for a more acceptable resolution (a First Class resolution) but I feel like that's increasingly unlikely. More importantly, I don't want to lose my ability to reverse transfer to AMEX at a later date in case I find a better option via other means. Thoughts on next steps? I did file a DOT complaint as well FWIW.
So you bought a luxurious swiss watch (LX F) and got a $5 timex (AC J)
You can absolutely call and demand a different routing that is more acceptable to you. They can open up AC space only though, unless something else is available.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 9:13 pm

Programs: LT Marriott Titanium, AC SE
Totally luck of the draw, but I spoke to 3 different agents (supervisors) who were unwilling to open up AC space.

Some other choice quotes from Aeroplan:

* Air Canada sells Executive First and that's equivalent so First on other airlines so obviously we can't open that up. (How come it maps to J and not F or O?)
* Aeroplan has never honored Swiss mistake fares (oh really? What about the winter and summer releases?)
* You owe Aeroplan $30 for cancelling the flight online (Wait, you want to charge me money to cancel a supposedly unbookable flight?)

As stands, my tickets are in purgatory. Have to wait for award space to open up though I can refund and have points returned to Amex anytime up to departure.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 9:14 pm

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
Has anyone here actually tried to insist on Aeroplan booking you into real "F" or "A" class on LX or LH?

I remember some time ago, some people were able to get booked into "F" class on SQ for service recovery due to some kind of error.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 9:24 pm

Programs: AC 100K SE (*G), Marriott P, SPG G, Hilton D
So, I called in today because I've been tired of waiting for a call.

I got re-booked onto the following:
BCN-FRA LH J
FRA-ICN OZ F
ICN-LAX OZ F
LAX-YVR AC J

On the bright side I get TWO 10+ hour F flights and they are ignoring MPM rules for this re-booking.
I will keep an eye out for LH F availability and switch to that if it opens up.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 9:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by daniellam
Has anyone here actually tried to insist on Aeroplan booking you into real "F" or "A" class on LX or LH?

I remember some time ago, some people were able to get booked into "F" class on SQ for service recovery due to some kind of error.
I haven't yet, but I may. I'm T-18 from departure, and the SFO-FRA LH flight I want is F7, so I have reasonable hopes that I can just get that through regular O space.

But my return dates (5 day range) don't have any I/O space for the TATL segment, which is simply not acceptable. Not that J would be acceptable anyway, but Y certainly is not.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 9:49 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, United Premier Silver
Originally Posted by dafonz
Totally luck of the draw, but I spoke to 3 different agents (supervisors) who were unwilling to open up AC space.

Some other choice quotes from Aeroplan:

* Air Canada sells Executive First and that's equivalent so First on other airlines so obviously we can't open that up. (How come it maps to J and not F or O?)
* Aeroplan has never honored Swiss mistake fares (oh really? What about the winter and summer releases?)
* You owe Aeroplan $30 for cancelling the flight online (Wait, you want to charge me money to cancel a supposedly unbookable flight?)

As stands, my tickets are in purgatory. Have to wait for award space to open up though I can refund and have points returned to Amex anytime up to departure.
Weird that they are opening up space on AC metal for some people but will refuse for others.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 9:52 pm

Originally Posted by daniellam

They offered to put people in CA F.

Alternatively, LH F can be had <2 weeks in advantage.

LX F simply shouldn't have been allowed to be available for Non-M&M-Super Elite members. If a store is left open overnight accidentally, you can't walk in and take everything without the police later coming to look for you.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 9:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by YuropFlyer

LX F simply shouldn't have been allowed to be available for Non-M&M-Super Elite members. If a store is left open overnight accidentally, you can't walk in and take everything without the police later coming to look for you.
There are analogies I would accept. That is not one.

It's more like I go into a store, pick up a product, take it to the cashier, they scan the barcode, it comes up at the expected price, I pay, and walk out.

You're talking about theft. I was on the phone with the seller when I paid the price they asked.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 10:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by canadiancow

It's more like I go into a store, pick up a product, take it to the cashier, they scan the barcode, it comes up at the expected price, I pay, and walk out.

You're talking about theft. I was on the phone with the seller when I paid the price they asked.
And my telephone sales person was a supervisor.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 10:23 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
If a store is left open overnight accidentally, you can't walk in and take everything without the police later coming to look for you.
Any of the millions of Aeroplan members shopping for a reward flight for those few hours would’ve seen LX F seats availablility. Sometimes we should remember that FT is not terribly representative of the wider world of frequent flyers.

A more appropriate analogy would be walking into a store that you may or may not know is usually open overnight, taking something from the shelf, paying the asking price, and walking out. The party forcefully taking it back — without explanation, communication of any kind or even coordinating a refund — is in the wrong.
atcanobbio likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 11:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
Originally Posted by nli007
Weird that they are opening up space on AC metal for some people but will refuse for others.
It must be in their rule book that asking AC to open space is done only if the customer insists, so it depends on the agents discretation and mood, such procedure also requires that the agent involves their supervisor

I propose a counter analogy from Quebec's Price Accuracy Policy regulation:
The Price accuracy policy provides for compensation if the price requested at the cash register is higher than the price indicated in the store. The merchant must:
  • give you the good for free if the item costs $10 or less;
  • sell you the good at the displayed price minus $10 if the good costs more than $10.

Last edited by MasterGeek; Dec 9, 2017 at 11:10 pm
Old Dec 10, 2017, 6:32 am
Suspended

Programs: AC
Originally Posted by canadiancow

And in some cases, the cashier saying something along the lines of "wow, you got a great deal. Congratulations!"
Old Dec 10, 2017, 8:34 am

Don't have a dog in this fight and not an active aeroplan patron but have been following this issue. Two thoughts come to mind -
1. Aeroplan seems to be relying on language that their award terms specifically prohibit LX F bookings. Does Aeroplan also have language that says the the terms and conditions of the program can be changed at their discretion without notice ? It appears that LX bookings have been allowed in the past despite the no LX F language so would that have been a precedent setting event where the terms and conditions were changed without notice ? Would love to hear the opinion of any legal professionals on here as I am not a legal professional.
2. I remember seeing stories about a gentleman in Canada who is a tenacious passenger rights advocate and has had great success representing passengers - I think his name was Gabor - has anyone reached out to him ?
Old Dec 10, 2017, 8:57 am

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Mister Nice
2. I remember seeing stories about a gentleman in Canada who is a tenacious passenger rights advocate and has had great success representing passengers - I think his name was Gabor - has anyone reached out to him ?
You would have made it much easier if you had included "his" contact information.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 9:08 am
Original Poster

So after discussing this situation with a friend who practices law....

I will be filing in small claims court, with the focus on the fact that negligence lies with their agent who made the booking.

My original ticket was:
YYZ-YUL AC J
YUL-ZRH LX F
ZRH-CDG LX J
CDG-BKK TG F

My ticket now is:
YYZ-CDG AC J
CDG-BKK TG F

The oneway F award which I paid was 107.5K AP points. The cost of a oneway J award is 77.5K. The difference being 30K points.

The total distance from YYZ-BKK is 9629mi - 307mi for the YYZ-YUL J portion - 297mi for the ZRH-CDG J portion = 9025mi of that 3737mi is for the YUL-ZRH F portion which = 41% of the total distance.

What I will claim is a prorated amount of 12,300 AP points (41% of the 30K class difference) to be credited back to my account or the dollar value of those points ($555.96) based on Aeroplan's own selling rate of .04 cents plus tax per point.

My travel is over New Years and depending on if LH F opens up on the return I will also be claiming my return flights as-well all on one claim.

Currently, I have:

BKK-CDG TG F
CDG-YYZ AC J

My original ticket was:

BKK-BOM AI J
BOM-ZRH LX F
ZRH-ORD LX F
ORD-YYZ AC J

BTW: Aimia has global offices for serving them with legal notice

Toronto
130 King Street West
Toronto, ON M5X 1A9

Minneapolis
100 North Sixth Street, Suite 650C
Minneapolis, MN 55403
Phone: 763.445.3500

Newark
1501 Casho Mill Rd. #14
Newark, DE 19711

https://www.aimia.com/en/contact/global-offices.html

To list a few.

Last edited by imverge; Dec 10, 2017 at 9:21 am Reason: added contact info

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.