Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Swiss first class bookable!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2017, 9:01 am

Programs: AC E75K, Amex Plat, NEXUS, Aman-user (not really a -junkie)
Originally Posted by sgan317
There is a small pattern, people who booked via phone are still ok. Even if you had multiple tickets, if one was booked via phone, all of your tickets are still valid for some reason. Additionally it looks like time played a huge factor into this. A lot of people with canceled tickets booked and/or ticketed post 9 AM EST.
I already know of exceptions to the phone and online combination as well as people with cancelled tickets who booked before 9 am... see what I mean ?
canadiancow likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 9:23 am

Programs: AA EXP, WoH Globalist
Perhaps I'm overly optimistic (especially considering Swiss is notoriously inflexible and stubborn), but I think this one has a decent chance of being honored.
  • This wasn't a mistake fare. It was a redemption of miles at published levels for award inventory that was made public to a number of partners.
  • Aeroplan seems to be advocating (at least at a high level) for its customers, and Swiss claims it wasn't involved in cancelling the bookings (not sure how much I believe that)
  • Not all bookings have been cancelled. It seem that for the most part, only bookings that are exclusively LX-operated, to/from LAX/SFO, and made entirely online have been cancelled. One would think that whatever the resolution eventually is, it would beed to apply uniformly to all bookings.
At a minimum, it seems prudent to let this one play out.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 9:44 am

Programs: AA platinum , Hyatt Explorist, Marriott platinum , SPG Gold , Hilton Diamond
Not sure about the pattern

Mine is all LX and i booked online ... And still alive....Ex ORD ...Hopefully it wont be cancelled
Old Dec 4, 2017, 10:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Anegada
  • This wasn't a mistake fare. It was a redemption of miles at published levels for award inventory that was made public to a number of partners.
I keep seeing this, and it doesn't really make sense.

Mistake fares are "published". I don't know how to buy a ticket at a non-published price. The issue is that they publish something that shouldn't exist... Which is exactly the case here.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 11:14 am

Perhaps I'm overly optimistic (especially considering Swiss is notoriously inflexible and stubborn), but I think this one has a decent chance of being honored.
  • Aeroplan seems to be advocating (at least at a high level) for its customers, and Swiss claims it wasn't involved in cancelling the bookings (not sure how much I believe that)
  • Not all bookings have been cancelled. It seem that for the most part, only bookings that are exclusively LX-operated, to/from LAX/SFO, and made entirely online have been cancelled. One would think that whatever the resolution eventually is, it would beed to apply uniformly to all bookings.
I booked ZRH-ORD (a friend of mine booked the same flights) and both of ours were cancelled. Know someone who booked ZRH-JFK and was cancelled as well
Old Dec 4, 2017, 1:05 pm

It might seem that cancellation should apply to all bookings, but for those involving other airlines, they are due revenue as well. Cancel the entire booking and the other airlines need to be made whole. Sticky situation for sure which is probably why this is taking time to sort out.

I've checked in successfully for my 4-segment sequence starting tomorrow including LX on Wednesday. GLTA
Old Dec 4, 2017, 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by Varus50
It might seem that cancellation should apply to all bookings, but for those involving other airlines, they are due revenue as well. Cancel the entire booking and the other airlines need to be made whole. Sticky situation for sure which is probably why this is taking time to sort out.

I've checked in successfully for my 4-segment sequence starting tomorrow including LX on Wednesday. GLTA
I don't think any airlines are going to complain about not getting their $5 for F payment (assuming you don't fly)
Old Dec 4, 2017, 2:01 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AA EXP, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
So far mine are still booked. I actually found this independent of any blogs as I periodically check any mileage booking I have, because you never know. At the time, I had no idea Swiss F was restricted, I just saw that I could upgrade my existing bookings for 30,000 more miles, called in, transferred the points and paid the costs. Afterward, seeing this thread I realized this was a rare but not unprecedented occurrence. Then it blew-up in the blogs. If I could make a change back to my original booking, I would just to get rid of this anxiety but my Austrian flight is gone.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 6:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I keep seeing this, and it doesn't really make sense.

Mistake fares are "published". I don't know how to buy a ticket at a non-published price. The issue is that they publish something that shouldn't exist... Which is exactly the case here.
Where does it say it shouldnt exist?
Like where does it officialy say Swiss F excluded on the redemption chart?

This isn't the 30k RTW J tickets from 3 years ago, where it clearly was a mistake, and contradicted published charts, yet Aeroplan honoured.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by rankourabu
Where does it say it shouldnt exist?
Like where does it officialy say Swiss F excluded on the redemption chart?

This isn't the 30k RTW J tickets from 3 years ago, where it clearly was a mistake, and contradicted published charts, yet Aeroplan honoured.
Well, my point was more that where does anything say that a $600 F fare shouldn't exist?

However, to answer your specific question, https://www.aeroplan.com/use-your-mi...-rewards-chart says "SWISS First Class is not available for reward travel."
Old Dec 4, 2017, 6:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Well, my point was more that where does anything say that a $600 F fare shouldn't exist?

However, to answer your specific question, https://www.aeroplan.com/use-your-mi...-rewards-chart says "SWISS First Class is not available for reward travel."
​​​​​​That's actually quite amazing
Wonder why no similar exclusion with other FFPs.

And you sure they didn't just ad that this weekend, right?
Old Dec 4, 2017, 7:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rankourabu
​​​​​​That's actually quite amazing
Wonder why no similar exclusion with other FFPs.

And you sure they didn't just ad that this weekend, right?
Its been on the AP website for a couple of years now.. however that’s going to be very difficult for AP to fall back on when their own agents made bookings. You would think that a well informed trained agent would have seen a red flag and said Swiss F is not bookable and not proceed with the booking. Thank you baby Jesus that wasn’t the case.

If people had only booked online then I can see AP having more ground to stand on in cancelling tickets.

Last edited by imverge; Dec 4, 2017 at 7:15 pm
Old Dec 4, 2017, 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by imverge
Its been on the AP website for a couple of years now.. however that’s going to be very difficult for AP to fall back on when their own agents made bookings. You would think that a well informed trained agent would have seen a red flag and said Swiss F is not bookable and not proceed with the booking. Thank you baby Jesus that wasn’t the case.

If people had only booked online then I can see AP having more ground to stand on in cancelling tickets.
Aeroplan's corporate statement is that they're not canceling these.

It's only Swiss front line agents making that claim.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 7:34 pm

Programs: Free agent
Even if that statement were the law there is a difference between "not available" and "not allowed, not bookable, etc."

Oh yes they indeed were available.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by jmail1
Even if that statement were the law there is a difference between "not available" and "not allowed, not bookable, etc."

Oh yes they indeed were available.
Interesting point.

Either way, I don't think anyone is going to be fighting Aeroplan in this situation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.