Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Amex MR > Aeroplan for use on UA flights, TK*G

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amex MR > Aeroplan for use on UA flights, TK*G

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2017, 1:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: TK *G, Spirit Gold, Marriott Plat, Hilton HHonors Gold, Amex Plat, Chase SR
Lightbulb Amex MR > Aeroplan for use on UA flights, TK*G

I received an offer for an Amex MR 20% transfer bonus to Aeroplan. I have about 300K MR and I primarily fly UA. I have TK*G. Before I decide whether to proceed with the transfer, I have few questions for the experts:

1) How easy is it to redeem Aeroplan miles for UA flights? Can this be done online? Is availability restricted?
2) Can I use a TK*G frequent flyer number to book a UA flight on the Aeroplan website (to ensure that I receive *G benefits)?
3) How do the Aeroplan award redemption rates compare to UA redemption rates for UA flights specifically? I have no plans to fly AC.
4) What happens when Aeroplan no longer partners with Air Canada once I transfer these miles? Will they convert to whatever Air Canada's program is? I suspect that I would want to spread out using these miles over several years so I can continue to credit revenue flights to TK to maintain *G.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 1:42 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Originally Posted by safra1
I received an offer for an Amex MR 20% transfer bonus to Aeroplan. I have about 300K MR and I primarily fly UA. I have TK*G. Before I decide whether to proceed with the transfer, I have few questions for the experts:

1) How easy is it to redeem Aeroplan miles for UA flights? Can this be done online? Is availability restricted?
Availability is restricted. Even on AC flights there are only a set number of seats for points redemption unless you have AC highest status. AC prefers to show AC flights first and flights from some partners like LH. However all programs have restrictions. You also also not that surcharges are very high on most airline partners and low on very few (UA, LX, etc).
2) Can I use a TK*G frequent flyer number to book a UA flight on the Aeroplan website (to ensure that I receive *G benefits)?
Not 100% sure if you can add it but likely after the booking is made. In any case, you can always show the card at check-in, lounge, etc to receive benefits.
3) How do the Aeroplan award redemption rates compare to UA redemption rates for UA flights specifically? I have no plans to fly AC.
I believe based on what I have read here that UA charges less in surcharges than the AC/AE program.
4) What happens when Aeroplan no longer partners with Air Canada once I transfer these miles? Will they convert to whatever Air Canada's program is? I suspect that I would want to spread out using these miles over several years so I can continue to credit revenue flights to TK to maintain *G.
No answer to this other than wait and see. If you do redeem, only redeem enough to book the flights you want. Not advisable to transfer points with the hope of using them in the future.

EDIT - Other answers and in your original post by points.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 1:44 pm

Programs: AC; Fairmont Plat; Accor Plat; SPG Plat, BA Gold; A3*G; AB Gold;
Originally Posted by safra1

Answering only 1, 2 and 4

1) Availability for Aeroplan booked UA flights is identical to what you'd find on the UA site as "Saver Awards". There are no additional restrictions that I'm aware of. These options may not show online, but if they're available in Saver on the United site, you should be able to book them through the call centre (and pay the $30 fee to do so).
2) You can easily add your TK*G in UA's Manage My Booking. Aeroplan bookings now give OAL PNR's so you'll get a UA PNR for your flights, and in then add your TK*G number there.
3) No idea, as I don't follow UA's redemption schedule. Be aware that if you book airlines other than UA (and select other airlines) - there are hefty YQ fees to pay on your redemptions. Not sure what the exhaustive list is any longer, but for sure on AC/LH you'll have to pay steep YQ.
4) There is no consensus on what will happen in 2020, but I'd be extraordinarily surprised if there was any transfer of miles from Aeroplan to the new program - especially for non-AC elites.

Last edited by jantaoYVR; Nov 27, 2017 at 1:46 pm Reason: Added additional info to point 1

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.