Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Use Aeroplan for award flights? AMEX cards do not cover you for insurance

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2017, 5:11 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AC

Did you know that if you have ANY Amex card that if you do a flight redemption with Aeroplan that none of the AMEX cards cover you for insurance? Flight delay/baggage insurance/flight cancellation etc?

That surprised me. CIBC/TD Aeroplan branded credit cards' T&C's indicate that insurance for the above kicks in if you do redeem points using Aeroplan for flights.

I guess I can't get rid of my CIBC/TD card then as the $120 annual fee is worth it just for insurance alone.

Well I guess I could cancel, signup ahead of my trip, and then cancel and get a pro rated annual fee back....I might just do that as I hate banks, despite working for one years ago.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 8:06 am

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by longtimeflyin
Did you know that if you have ANY Amex card that if you do a flight redemption with Aeroplan that none of the AMEX cards cover you for insurance? Flight delay/baggage insurance/flight cancellation etc?

That surprised me. CIBC/TD Aeroplan branded credit cards' T&C's indicate that insurance for the above kicks in if you do redeem points using Aeroplan for flights.

I guess I can't get rid of my CIBC/TD card then as the $120 annual fee is worth it just for insurance alone.

Well I guess I could cancel, signup ahead of my trip, and then cancel and get a pro rated annual fee back....I might just do that as I hate banks, despite working for one years ago.
Did not surprise me and there have been many discussions about this in the past. I always used CIBC Aeroplan card to book award flights.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 8:10 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Yes. Their website does mention that in not-very-fine print and it has been repeated bere numerous times.

Yes, provided you pay the taxes/fees with that card.

Do you not also have places you spend money that don't take Amex but do take Visa?
Old Nov 27, 2017, 8:34 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
see my similar discovery in 2015

My Tale of Woe, and cry for help ( Or why I may have to change my handle)
Old Nov 27, 2017, 10:32 am

If one didn't book award travel with a TD/CIBC Visa, how would you estimate the cost for travel insurance purposes? Is it only insurance for the amount paid?
Old Nov 27, 2017, 2:38 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Yes, provided you pay the taxes/fees with that card.
Common misconception. This is not the case as I suspected and confirmed after speaking with an adjuster. You absolutely are under no obligation to pay for the YQ and such with the card to be eligible. Simply being a cardholder is sufficient.

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Do you not also have places you spend money that don't take Amex but do take Visa?
I'm not sure what you mean. Yes, I do rarely shop at places that don't take AMEX and that's what I'm trying to figure out what I want to do. Pay $120 for the CIBC card again or use a no fee cashback card and call it quits.

Originally Posted by emustyle
If one didn't book award travel with a TD/CIBC Visa, how would you estimate the cost for travel insurance purposes? Is it only insurance for the amount paid?
I'm lost.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 2:52 pm

Common misconception. This is not the case as I suspected and confirmed after speaking with an adjuster. You absolutely are under no obligation to pay for the YQ and such with the card to be eligible. Simply being a cardholder is sufficient.
The CIBC agreement says this:

Trip” means a period of travel for which:
a) There is a Departure Point and a destination; and
b) There are predetermined and recorded beginning and ending dates; and
a) No less than 75% of the Common Carrier fare, hotel or similar accommodations have been charged to Your Card prior
to Your departure.
This definition is extended to include a Common Carrier ticket or accommodations obtained through the redemption of points
from the Card travel reward program.

Frankly, I would always charge the fees /taxes whatever to the CIBC card. Last thing I would want is to get into a protracted argument with them later.

PS-we all do agree that Amex covers nothing for an Aeroplan award.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mapleg
This definition is extended to include a Common Carrier ticket or accommodations obtained through the redemption of points
from the Card travel reward program.
Pretty sure the Aeroplan Amex says the same.

Same wording as non-Aeroplan cards, in which case Aeroplan tickets are clearly excluded.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 4:44 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Stranger
Pretty sure the Aeroplan Amex says the same.

Same wording as non-Aeroplan cards, in which case Aeroplan tickets are clearly excluded.
There are no Amex cards that cover an Aeroplan redemption. This is as per their insurance adjuster

Amex is apparently looking into changing or improving this
Old Nov 27, 2017, 7:31 pm

There are no Amex cards that cover an Aeroplan redemption. This is as per their insurance adjuster

Amex is apparently looking into changing or improving this
I will believe that when I see it. Amex has been "enhancing" their Canadian Platinum card the same way Aeroplan and AC have been enhancing Aeroplan and Altitude.

More for them, less for us is the motto.
longtimeflyin likes this.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 6:53 am

i got burned by AMEX during the IST coup...... Luckily Aeroplan / EVA Air picked up the tab..
Old Nov 28, 2017, 10:12 am

Originally Posted by global_happy_traveller
i got burned by AMEX during the IST coup...... Luckily Aeroplan / EVA Air picked up the tab..
Did they use the standard weasel clause of excluding conflicts, insurrections and the like?

Good to hear that AE/EVA ponied up.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 12:40 pm

What cards do provide this coverage?
Old Nov 28, 2017, 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by mapleg
Did they use the standard weasel clause of excluding conflicts, insurrections and the like?

Good to hear that AE/EVA ponied up.

no.... rather they claimed that i didn't pay my fare in full because it was Aeroplan reward points.
My issue with them was "your insurance company should have flagged this before process"
Old Nov 28, 2017, 2:40 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
I know this may only help a minority of folks on the AC forum, and it is not an AMEX, but to list a reference point:

the US issued chase sapphire reserve visa pays as long as any portion of the ticket (tax or any fee) is paid with the card. I have had two "upto $500 for meals, expenses such as clothing, rental car, taxi, hotel" for "delays in getting to my destination for of 6+ hours or overnight". It lists weather as an allowable cause as well.
I usully ask on twitter for a reason for delay/cancellation and use that to claim.

Warning that it is $500 "per ticket" but the agents denied my claim for the amount over $500 when multiple of my covered family members are on the same PNR. The PNR contains multiple ETKT#s, one per pax, but the terms and conditions do not spell out which to use.
canadiancow likes this.

Last edited by expert7700; Nov 29, 2017 at 10:00 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.