Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Use Aeroplan for award flights? AMEX cards do not cover you for insurance

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Use Aeroplan for award flights? AMEX cards do not cover you for insurance

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2018, 3:00 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
O
Originally Posted by etgohomeok
Hey all, any advice for someone who accidentally paid YQ on an Aeroplan redemption with their Amex without thinking? Any further data on whether I can get the TD card and be covered without having charged the YQ to it (I bank with TD so I wouldn't have to pay the annual fee)? Can I call Aeroplan and have them change which card the YQ was charged to, or am I SOL and have to purchase insurance for the trip?
TD won’t cover it (I was going to get the card if they would and spoke to a friend who works there). My non AP card now claims they will cover me because I paid the entire cost of what I owed on the flight on that card.

However, I only care about the travel insurance part. Medical is not a concern. And I’m already gearing up to fight if it goes horribly wrong.

Is it within NA? Can OMW help?
Old Dec 12, 2018, 5:15 pm

Originally Posted by Clipper801
So the CSR covers you when flying on a FF points reward ticket? Wow. That's good!
​​​​​​
Only for their transfer partners, you are still SOL for an Aeroplan booking.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 5:15 pm

Programs: Air Canada A35K, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by jc94
O

TD won’t cover it (I was going to get the card if they would and spoke to a friend who works there). My non AP card now claims they will cover me because I paid the entire cost of what I owed on the flight on that card.

However, I only care about the travel insurance part. Medical is not a concern. And I’m already gearing up to fight if it goes horribly wrong.

Is it within NA? Can OMW help?
International mRTW to Bangkok with stops in Seoul and Munich and 23hr layovers in a bunch of other countries. Planning on only carry-on though so lost baggage shouldn't be an issue, which only leaves trip interruption and medical. If I can at least get medical then I might be okay taking my chances dealing with the airlines and Aeroplan if issues come up with the flights.

Last edited by etgohomeok; Dec 12, 2018 at 5:24 pm
Old Dec 12, 2018, 5:46 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
My work covers medical. I tried a bunch of others to cover the rest and had very little luck until I rang my card up again and got a different answer.

For medical only something like Blue Cross should work. Real pain though. Certainly adds to the cost of redemptions.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 8:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Points Poppa
Only for their transfer partners, you are still SOL for an Aeroplan booking.
Absolutely not true. As long as "a portion" was paid with the card, it's covered.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 2:05 pm

Programs: AC75, TD AeroInfiniteP, AmexBizPLAT, SPG-G HyattGlobby
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Absolutely not true. As long as "a portion" was paid with the card, it's covered.
So to summarize for an Aeroplan Rewards booking ticket using either the AMEX PLAT or the TD/CIBC Aeroplan Infinite Privilege cards to pay for all the fees, we may be/ are eligible for insurance:

Health (assuming we are under age 67, and meet the T&C of the card)
trip interruption (not weather related)
lost baggage
amongst other issues etc......

I hope to never need it, but I was always under the assumption i am only covered for medical emergencies, and any issues with luggage or travel delays, I was SOL with either card.

TIA for the clarifications.

LFC
Old Dec 13, 2018, 6:32 pm

Read your CSR benefits guide:

"Rewards means points, miles, cash Rewards, or any other type of redeemable Rewards, provided that all Rewards have been accumulated through use of a Rewards program sponsored by Chase Bank USA, N.A. and/or its affiliates."
Old Dec 14, 2018, 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by Points Poppa
Read your CSR benefits guide:

"Rewards means points, miles, cash Rewards, or any other type of redeemable Rewards, provided that all Rewards have been accumulated through use of a Rewards program sponsored by Chase Bank USA, N.A. and/or its affiliates."
Trip Delay:

A Covered Trip is a period of round-trip travel (meaning departing from and eventually returning to your primary residence) that doesn’t exceed three hundred and sixty- five (365) days away from your residence to a destination other than your city of residence.
Who is eligible for coverage?
You, a person to whom a United States (U.S.) credit card has been issued (“Cardholder”), your spouse, and your dependent children under twenty-two (22) years of age are automatically covered when a portion or the entire cost of the Common Carrier fare, is purchased with your Chase credit card account (“Account”).
Trip Cancellation/Interruption:

Covered Trip means any pre-paid tour, trip or vacation when some portion of the cost for such travel arrangements less any redeemable frequent flyer miles, points, coupons or certificates, or other types of redeemable Rewards has been charged to your Account:
The definition of "Rewards" is irrelevant because the insurance covers you regardless.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 4:12 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Lifetime Plat, (now an AC nobody)
Originally Posted by luvFclass
So to summarize for an Aeroplan Rewards booking ticket using either the AMEX PLAT or the TD/CIBC Aeroplan Infinite Privilege cards to pay for all the fees, we may be/ are eligible for insurance:

Health (assuming we are under age 67, and meet the T&C of the card)
trip interruption (not weather related)
lost baggage
amongst other issues etc......

I hope to never need it, but I was always under the assumption i am only covered for medical emergencies, and any issues with luggage or travel delays, I was SOL with either card.

TIA for the clarifications.

LFC
I don't think you summarized it correctly. I can't speak for a US-based Amex card, but if I am reading the op's original post correctly, Amex Platinum (Canada) does not cover you on a rewards ticket.
luvFclass likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 4:12 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador
What a timely post for me.

Last year I booked an AP flight for the family. I paid the taxes with my Aerogold AP card. I didn't even think about it. At check-in on the outbound the agent at bag drop off said I was eligible for business class check-in next time. The first bag was free. The boarding passes all had zone 2. I have no status and so that was all awesome. On the inbound we used business class check-in bypassing a massive March Break lineup in PVR. We boarded pretty much first. My family thought I was a rock star.

Since being a moron is a genetic trait, I felt compelled to using my AMEX on our Christmas AP travel for this year. While I am sure I can use business class check-in by showing the card who knows about the other benefits. Sigh. No rock star status for me with my wife and kids this year.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 4:16 pm

Are you speaking for the majority here who have the Canadian-based Amex Card, or are you referring to your US-based Amex Card?
Old Dec 14, 2018, 4:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
This is all discussed in the first 3 pages of this thread.

Amex Canada will NOT provide coverage if you are on an Aeroplan ticket. And they were adamant about it when I called them once.

The Aerogold Visa and similar from TD were known to have a clause that if something like X% of your ticket was paid with the card, you were covered. You need to read your policies.

And I would be very careful when buying the insurance that is offered when you buy an Aeroplan ticket. What you are insuring may not be exactly what you expect.
Clipper801 and CanRulez like this.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by 24left
This is all discussed in the first 3 pages of this thread.

Amex Canada will NOT provide coverage if you are on an Aeroplan ticket. And they were adamant about it when I called them once.

The Aerogold Visa and similar from TD were known to have a clause that if something like X% of your ticket was paid with the card, you were covered. You need to read your policies.

And I would be very careful when buying the insurance that is offered when you buy an Aeroplan ticket. What you are insuring may not be exactly what you expect.
This is my understanding as well. ^
Old Dec 14, 2018, 7:43 pm

Originally Posted by CanRulez
Are you speaking for the majority here who have the Canadian-based Amex Card, or are you referring to your US-based Amex Card?
Follow the chain of quotes. Neither.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 9:16 pm

Trip Delay:

The definition of "Rewards" is irrelevant because the insurance covers you regardless.
It is absolutely relevant for the cancellation insurance if you want to be reimbursed for the miles lost:

"If any or all of the Covered Trip was paid for using redeemable Rewards, the Company will reimburse the Insured Person for Rewards used."

If you are swimming in miles and all you care about is the interruption insurance, then by all means use the CSR.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.