Enhanced TCON Service Trial

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2017, 4:15 am

Programs: *$ Green
What YYZNRT direct?
Old Nov 24, 2017, 5:35 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Bonvoy LTE
Originally Posted by LoveHateRelationship
Funny enough I overheard someone tell the OSM to get rid of the omelettes and the OSM replied that it's actually a highly requested item.
Because that's the best option out of the available options? I've been flying for 11 years, and in all 11 years, it's been that omlette or the pancakes with the maple butter and apple compote. I don't want the healthy option because that's just a big plate of fruit with oatmeal.
Old Nov 24, 2017, 8:04 am

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by acysb87
How will this work when Mrs.acysb87 travels with me? She has little to zero status. Will be awkward when I am asked all these questions and then completely ignore her.
On AC 109 next Friday. Will be interested to see if this new test service will be available .
As a courtesy, and certain that it won't impact the meal choices of other Status Customers, I try to treat a couple (or extended family/partners) as a single entity. It's usually obvious if there is a shared last name, but always ask the Customer in question if they are travelling "solo" today.
Old Nov 24, 2017, 8:08 am

Programs: *$ Green
Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD
As a courtesy, and certain that it won't impact the meal choices of other Status Customers, I try to treat a couple (or extended family/partners) as a single entity. It's usually obvious if there is a shared last name, but always ask the Customer in question if they are travelling "solo" today.
Can't you see who travels together on your app? Or is it just a straight PIL?
Old Nov 24, 2017, 8:29 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by SparseFlyer
Nice report. Thanks for taking the time.

IMHO, serving elites and disregarding other paid J passengers is a huge "faux pas". It only happened once to me, but it's REALLY weird. Everyone around you gets meal and beverage requests, and you are just there looking at the ceiling. It really makes you wonder what you paid for.​​​​​​
Yes, exactly. I'm all for recognizing loyalty, but I think it's wrong to have a fundamentally different product offering.

Originally Posted by lcohen999
Most airlines do that though. I have sat in J and have always watched their own FF get meal choice, etc before me. I think that is the standard. At least on SQ/NZ/Swiss/LH
Meal choice, preferred seats, etc are one thing. Not having access to a cheese plate, an espresso or a 3rd wine choice is a totally different thing*. Imagine the conversation... "Hi, I'd like an espresso please." "No, sorry, you can't have it -- it's only available to our frequent flyers." Like WTH? We're talking about something that costs sub-$1 on a flight that costs thousands.

Originally Posted by djjaguar64
We thank you for being our elite frequent flier and here is your cheese plate, while all others on this flight even Full Fare Paying passengers get Kit Kat? That's really tacky service!
+1

*I understand OP mentioned meal choice and cheese plate as examples of elite-only offerings, but I'm expanding on that here because, well, FT.
Old Nov 24, 2017, 8:51 am

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Unless there is a shared last name, we rely on the powers of observation, deduction and communication. Neither the PIL nor the iPad indicates who is travelling together.
Old Nov 24, 2017, 9:21 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
What YYZNRT direct?
Hummmm.... seems like I live in the past
Old Nov 24, 2017, 9:54 am

Programs: Ice Cream Club, AC SE MM, Bonvoy Life Plat
Thanks for the detailed review!

The other times I've experienced an onboard service manager, there was no overt notification they were present but it was clear the elites were canvassed for opinions. I'm trying to see the enhancements, but all I note is Pre-departure beverage (PDB) is back (with glass instead of plastic?), one option for PDB booze (fizzy wine), and salt/pepper shakers (which may have been a catering mistake? Anyone confirm this is now a TCON standard?)

I'm tempted to book a YVR-YYZ J just to find out. Salt and pepper shakers (which I never use as a meal that requires seasoning is poorly prepared), a glass of prosecco PDB, and meals served on time when the cat's around are all the reason to move from CX 888/889... well, of course, better/more-frequent schedule and JFK is not YOW/YYZ/YUL...

Gotta ask my friends how often this OBSM thing is happening now... wonder how CUPE are taking it. =)
Old Nov 24, 2017, 7:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DrunkCargo
Thanks for the detailed review!

The other times I've experienced an onboard service manager, there was no overt notification they were present but it was clear the elites were canvassed for opinions. I'm trying to see the enhancements, but all I note is Pre-departure beverage (PDB) is back (with glass instead of plastic?), one option for PDB booze (fizzy wine), and salt/pepper shakers (which may have been a catering mistake? Anyone confirm this is now a TCON standard?)

I'm tempted to book a YVR-YYZ J just to find out. Salt and pepper shakers (which I never use as a meal that requires seasoning is poorly prepared), a glass of prosecco PDB, and meals served on time when the cat's around are all the reason to move from CX 888/889... well, of course, better/more-frequent schedule and JFK is not YOW/YYZ/YUL...

Gotta ask my friends how often this OBSM thing is happening now... wonder how CUPE are taking it. =)
This is not standard yet as it was only a type trial. The enhancement is also mains that are plated on board. The OSM was only onboard to solicit feedback from customers on what they felt could be improved. Having said that, I would think that once they tweak it appropriately, it'll probably go into full PR mode for roll out on a certain date.
Old Nov 24, 2017, 8:51 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
I wonder if plating is the efficient & sanitary way to go because individual plating from one big catering container means;
- More handling of the exposed food and as we all know, the more hands involved, the greater the risk of illness.
- Greater likelihood of spillage and loss of meals. A bit of turbulence might cost a lost plate, but the dropping of a large container could cause some grief.
- Greater likelihood of spoilage of multiple meals.

It's nice that they want to plate onboard, but I don't see the direct benefit to the customer. I'd rather an improvement in the quality of institutional type meals served.
Old Nov 25, 2017, 12:50 am

Programs: Aeropain: Zirconia Status; Altitude: Marianas Trench Status; UA MP: 1 Kick to the curb status
Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
It's nice that they want to plate onboard, but I don't see the direct benefit to the customer. I'd rather an improvement in the quality of institutional type meals served.
Seeing as how I've heard the best airplane in NA is also a great Canadian institution, it seems appropriate that AC serves institutional-type meals.
Old Nov 25, 2017, 12:54 am

Programs: UA Plat; Marriott Gold; SPG Gold; Hyatt Gold; Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
I wonder if plating is the efficient & sanitary way to go because individual plating from one big catering container means;
- More handling of the exposed food and as we all know, the more hands involved, the greater the risk of illness.
- Greater likelihood of spillage and loss of meals. A bit of turbulence might cost a lost plate, but the dropping of a large container could cause some grief.
- Greater likelihood of spoilage of multiple meals.

Plating on board doesn’t mean they done come individually packed, just that they aren’t served in the container they come in.
Old Nov 25, 2017, 5:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Unless there is a shared last name, we rely on the powers of observation, deduction and communication. Neither the PIL nor the iPad indicates who is travelling together.
On SFO-YVR I had to stop the SD from leaving my seat because my companion had a fairly serious issue with one of the options. Had she not been willing to confirm it for him, I would have given up my priority and ordered his meal with it.

On YVR-NRT the FA taking meal orders said, "Mr. Companion, I can see you're traveling with Mr. Kennedy, so what would you like to have?"

It was totally unnecessary, unexpected, and appreciated.

No shared last name, but AC just won my companion business from UA, AA, and DL. When you're trying to impress someone, "Sir, we have the pork left." "I'm Jewish - you don't have any of the other three options?" doesn't cut it.
Old Nov 25, 2017, 7:27 am

Originally Posted by songsc
I am glad that AC is trying, and I know it's better to make a comment after I have tried it, but I will say it anyway.

I would prefer things like one extra FA, better cleaning, good quality food, etc, over fancy glassware for PDB, ceramic salt shakers, amenity kits, etc.

I think we are at +3 now?

Get the basics first.
DNAwizard likes this.
Old Nov 25, 2017, 10:02 am

Programs: TK *G
Originally Posted by silver_halide
Plating on board doesn’t mean they done come individually packed, just that they aren’t served in the container they come in.
I have seen an aluminium tray of about 10 steaks in the galley. So if things have not change, at least the mains are packed together then plated individually.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.