Enhanced TCON Service Trial

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2017, 1:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC
Originally Posted by ridefar
+2

get the basics right first.

And lower the price. Doesn’t matter how good the food is the premium isn’t justified TCON.
There's a saying about a cake and...eating it too.

Originally Posted by cooleddie
Not very enticing benefit.
You prefer what the existing offering is? On topics like a pre departure beverage, people started screaming Hail Mary when they introduced water bottles and got rid of OJ/water in cups. This is a step in the right direction.
Plumber likes this.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by flyquiet
They should serve a Souffle with the new transcend then, for desert.

Your seat, and your food, can collapse together!
Old Nov 23, 2017, 3:03 pm

Programs: Aeropain: Zirconia Status; Altitude: Marianas Trench Status; UA MP: 1 Kick to the curb status
Originally Posted by escape4
Well I certainly would not flame you, in fact I would note that the last time I flew YVR-HND on NH, not only did I not get a lie-flat seat in J, but it was not even an angle-flat seat either, it was a recliner seat! In 2-2-2 layout to boot. So compare that with AC's layout with all J seats with aisle access for a 10+ hour flight, all I can say is wow NH, wow. I walked in that NH flight thinking "AC cannot compete" and came out thinking "at least on AC I can sleep". I am not aware of any 5* airline which has recliner seats for 10+ hour flights nowadays, but I might be wrong.

NH has several versions of their 787, some with all-aisle access layflat, some with 2-2-2 recliners as described above. NH might have rectified the YVR-HND situation since then because when I asked them what's up with that seat they said they were supposed to change the aircraft for that route "in the future". Looking at Google Flights it seems NH still uses the 787 version that has the recliners, and a quick look at NH's website confirms the 2-2-2 layout as well for sample dates.

To be honest, until NH fixes this situation, I will book AC J no matter how cheap the NH J flight is, because it simply cannot be compared to AC J due to the seat.

Edit: TCON for Japan equivalent? Well, that's not the same as anywhere in NA considering everything in Japan is probably about 3 h or less flying time. That would be a better comparison.

So perhaps it's not SparseFlyer who is going to get flamed, it's me
This is a well-known irritant on the ANA forum (HND-YVR Equipment Change questions (was: Rerouting Policy?))

NH 115/6 are supposed to revert back to the 789 (lie-flat, WiFi) at the end of March (can't remember if it's the last Sunday or Monday in March). Supposedly it was due to a need to pull 789s out for servicing and I guess YVR came up snake-eyes.

Before it becomes an issue for no AC content: right now, I'd definitely take a flight with AC over NH. Once the 789 is back in service with NH though, not a chance. I prefer the seat (but only if I can get the secluded window seats), service, cleanliness, food, flight time and flying into HND vs. what's on offer with AC.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 4:27 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by LoveHateRelationship
One of the FAs walks around taking meal orders before take off as well... from ONLY the elites. I saw the 2MM in front but the lady behind was an SE and a few other SEs behind that. What an awkward moment for everyone else. Not sure why AC doesn't do the entire cabin at that time, all other airlines I've been on do the J cabin all at once instead of select people.
Priority meal ordering is nothing new, that's standard on AC. I'm not sure how that's awkward for others though. Either the SD/FA walks straight up and down the aisles collecting meal orders or they flit about in a seemingly random fashion. Either way, if you're sitting around doing nothing but listening to everyone else place their meal order, it's awkward. Read a book, start up the IFE system, whatever, and place your order when they get to you.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
We thank you for being our elite frequent flier and here is your cheese plate, while all others on this flight even Full Fare Paying passengers get Kit Kat? That's really tacky service!
Old Nov 23, 2017, 5:29 pm

Programs: AA, AC
Originally Posted by Diabeetus
Lol. I'm getting pretty sick of the breakfast selection as well. I've started outright declining breakfast on some flights.
I routinely do this for every AC meal offering, not just breakfast. I'm rarely starving enough on a flight that I can't hold out until I get to the ground where I can get some decent food.

So AC is implementing some superficial refinements to the service. That doesn't address the fundamental problem that was illustrated by the OP's picture of the main course. It looks (and tastes) like a plate of road kill!
Old Nov 23, 2017, 6:36 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by lcohen999
Most airlines do that though. I have sat in J and have always watched their own FF get meal choice, etc before me. I think that is the standard. At least on SQ/NZ/Swiss/LH
Not on Cathay Pacific trans-Pacific flights.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 7:05 pm

Programs: AC75 MM
Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD
It appears that they are going for something in between the current Premium Transcon Service and the Europe Service.
^
Are these thrown out if not used?
I like to keep them for my next bike/camping trip, but would feel bad taking them if they are otherwise used (when clearly unopened of course)
Old Nov 23, 2017, 7:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SparseFlyer
IMHO, serving elites and disregarding other paid J passengers is a huge "faux pas". It only happened once to me, but it's REALLY weird. Everyone around you gets meal and beverage requests, and you are just there looking at the ceiling. It really makes you wonder what you paid for.

But it's nice to see a J like experience on TCONs. I wouldn't read into the service times too much though. With an OSM and new procedures, it's bound to go slow/weird.

​​​​​​
It seems like par for the course to take orders from elites first with AC based on some of the comments below. This was the first time this happened to me and on other carriers (even UA domestic first) this has never happened.

The OSM did mention that it's their first time doing it so she said that times will definitely improve. It just felt too long and made it hard to do other things like take out a laptop to work.

Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD
It appears that they are going for something in between the current Premium Transcon Service and the Europe Service.
^
Yes, this is what I was told that it's supposed to be comparable to TATL service.

Originally Posted by Jebby_ca
As part of this trial, will they revise the breakfast service? Or is this enhancement only for lunch/dinner flights?

It'd be nice if they can change up that omelette and pancake offering, and maybe add in the ice cream and cookie service.
Funny enough I overheard someone tell the OSM to get rid of the omelettes and the OSM replied that it's actually a highly requested item.

Originally Posted by songsc
I am glad that AC is trying, and I know it's better to make a comment after I have tried it, but I will say it anyway.

I would prefer things like one extra FA, better cleaning, good quality food, etc, over fancy glassware for PDB, ceramic salt shakers, amenity kits, etc.

One huge problem is that the meal service takes too long to finish, I suppose that's due to lack of FAs and/or galley space. Please correct me if I am wrong. Yet AC decided to plate the main onboard to make it slower. I don't really care if the main is plated onboard or not, but I would be more than happy if AC can bring the meal quality back to 2010 era.

It's interesting that AC has made many visible improvement over the years, such as new J seats, new IFE, Hawksworth dishes, yet secretly cut back in invisible areas such as FA/pax ratio, cleanness, food quality, etc. That's how AC is set apart from BR, NH, SQ IMO.
Yes, the lavs were still a bit messy and the food quite frankly was just airplane food. They really made a big deal about the main being plated onboard as a "special experience." I would definitely more happy with better food vs better presentation (putting lipstick on a pig essentially).

Originally Posted by Bonaventure
If all seats had the card and all cards are the same then the cheese plates are not just for elites, no? perhaps shortage or something. just seems like they’re bringing intl J service to premium TCon, which is nice.

any comparison to an Asian carrier is moot. Apples and Oranges. AC will never be even half of CX.
I did think it was poor form to tell everyone on the cards that we could expect a cheese plate and then not give it to everyone. I realize the comparison is not fair and really any Asian carrier is not a real competitor on the TCon market. If I'm going to be honest, it's light years ahead of WS on the same route.

Most airlines do that though. I have sat in J and have always watched their own FF get meal choice, etc before me. I think that is the standard. At least on SQ/NZ/Swiss/LH
Maybe this is the first time for me seeing this. I've been in J on CX, BA, UA, AS, and SQ with each one essentially treating the J cabin as a whole unit rather than elites vs non-elites. I suppose this a YMMV thing then depending on who is managing the show.

Originally Posted by jc94
Well in my vast FOTSG TCON a year I found I got no PDB, no amenity kit, and not even a bottle of water. I assumed the latter two were enhancements and the first was down to ACs standard hit and miss approach (it was before PDBs were apparently outlawed).

Can we quantify were just SE getting priority or all E+? Meal selection first is one thing, actual service first seems flawed and would possibly slow down overall service, not to mention irritating paid J Tangerines.
I should also mention there was also a small bottle (250ml) of Naya water waiting for me as well. I can't tell you whether if it's all of E+ getting priority or just SE. I should say that it's only meal selection that elites were served first as well as the special cheese plates. Everything else was somewhat in order though the mains coming out seemed to be a big mess as the FAs were running around the cabin rather than serving in order.

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Priority meal ordering is nothing new, that's standard on AC. I'm not sure how that's awkward for others though. Either the SD/FA walks straight up and down the aisles collecting meal orders or they flit about in a seemingly random fashion. Either way, if you're sitting around doing nothing but listening to everyone else place their meal order, it's awkward. Read a book, start up the IFE system, whatever, and place your order when they get to you.
It's probably just an expectation that the FA is walking through the cabin and you see them taking meal orders but only from select people. You sit there wondering is this meal service only for select people? Especially since you see a few passengers see the meal order happening and take out their menus to see what they want only to have the FA walk right by them. Yeah that's pretty awkward.

Originally Posted by djjaguar64
We thank you for being our elite frequent flier and here is your cheese plate, while all others on this flight even Full Fare Paying passengers get Kit Kat? That's really tacky service!
Well everyone else got ice cream or fruit and a snack (which I chose a kitkat). I didn't care for the cheese but it's one of those weird moments where we're all sitting in J and if I didn't know what was going on I'd wonder why only select people got an extra course.

Originally Posted by ricktoronto
Not on Cathay Pacific trans-Pacific flights.
A most astute observation.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 9:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

putting lipstick on a pig essentially.
Welcome to AC food and beverage service.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 10:22 pm

You can't go wrong with the healthy option, these days.
Bring back that big bowl of fruit from a couple years ago. And ice cream on breakfast flights too!

YVR-HND is similar to AC's YYT-LHR in terms of seat.
How can you say the 135 degree recline and 20" extra leg room of NH is similar to the 5 degree recline of AC?
Old Nov 23, 2017, 10:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC

The flight started with a pre-departure beverage, either OJ, sparkling water, or Prosecco which the SE behind me mentioned that this was a "nice surprise." I fly TPAC on CX a fair bit so this seemed to be standard fare, I assume that normal TCON doesn't have a PDB or that it doesn't come in glassware on AC.
Thanks for your post.

Just for an FYI, since you're relatively new here:
Domestic predeparture beverage downgraded as of August 7, 2017
Old Nov 23, 2017, 10:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
You can't go wrong with the healthy option, these days.

That is usually where I end up
According to the FOTSG armchair experts here, the healthy option is also very unhealthy and will also give you a fabulous muffintop.
Old Nov 24, 2017, 3:34 am

Programs: *$ Green
Originally Posted by yyznomad
According to the FOTSG armchair experts here, the healthy option is also very unhealthy and will also give you a fabulous muffintop.
No meat no eat.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Nov 24, 2017, 3:46 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
I too will not book YVR-HND on NH for the exact reason you mentioned. YVR-HND is similar to AC's YYT-LHR in terms of seat.

However I will book YYZ-ORD-NRT on NH over YYZ-YVR-NRT on AC every time.
Well I agree that for the aircraft NH uses for ORD-NRT, NH is superior to AC. But my view would be a bit more tempered than yours. I have flown YYZ-ORD-NRT as well, and I find the entry and exit of the U.S. when not having to go to the U.S. other than transit is honestly an unnecessary hassle. In return you get a nicer experience on board the NH aircraft so it makes me a bit more ambivalent than you given this choice.

And if we compare NH via ORD to AC via YVR, then might as well compare to AC direct YYZ-NRT and then I prefer AC if the price is the same.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.