Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Enhanced TCON Service Trial

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2017, 7:29 am

Programs: TK *G
I am glad that AC is trying, and I know it's better to make a comment after I have tried it, but I will say it anyway.

I would prefer things like one extra FA, better cleaning, good quality food, etc, over fancy glassware for PDB, ceramic salt shakers, amenity kits, etc.

One huge problem is that the meal service takes too long to finish, I suppose that's due to lack of FAs and/or galley space. Please correct me if I am wrong. Yet AC decided to plate the main onboard to make it slower. I don't really care if the main is plated onboard or not, but I would be more than happy if AC can bring the meal quality back to 2010 era.

It's interesting that AC has made many visible improvement over the years, such as new J seats, new IFE, Hawksworth dishes, yet secretly cut back in invisible areas such as FA/pax ratio, cleanness, food quality, etc. That's how AC is set apart from BR, NH, SQ IMO.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 7:36 am

Programs: *$ Green
Originally Posted by songsc
I am glad that AC is trying, and I know it's better to make a comment after I have tried it, but I will say it anyway.

I would prefer things like one extra FA, better cleaning, good quality food, etc, over fancy glassware for PDB, ceramic salt shakers, amenity kits, etc.
+1
Old Nov 23, 2017, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD
Ceramic Salt and Pepper Shakers are only provided currently on International 1st meal services. For the purpose of the TCON type-trial, they've been enhanced. In any event, glad to see that the product is being upgraded.
How will this work when Mrs.acysb87 travels with me? She has little to zero status. Will be awkward when I am asked all these questions and then completely ignore her.
On AC 109 next Friday. Will be interested to see if this new test service will be available .
Old Nov 23, 2017, 8:02 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by SparseFlyer
As for comparing with Asian carriers, AC just may have a fighting chance on that front. Airlines like NH do not provide this kind of service on their domestic routes. The personnel is better, but everything is inferior (including the lounges), and NH is a 5* Skytrax rated airline. (Before I get flammed, no, AC still cannot compete on international service.)
​​​​​​
Well I certainly would not flame you, in fact I would note that the last time I flew YVR-HND on NH, not only did I not get a lie-flat seat in J, but it was not even an angle-flat seat either, it was a recliner seat! In 2-2-2 layout to boot. So compare that with AC's layout with all J seats with aisle access for a 10+ hour flight, all I can say is wow NH, wow. I walked in that NH flight thinking "AC cannot compete" and came out thinking "at least on AC I can sleep". I am not aware of any 5* airline which has recliner seats for 10+ hour flights nowadays, but I might be wrong.

NH has several versions of their 787, some with all-aisle access layflat, some with 2-2-2 recliners as described above. NH might have rectified the YVR-HND situation since then because when I asked them what's up with that seat they said they were supposed to change the aircraft for that route "in the future". Looking at Google Flights it seems NH still uses the 787 version that has the recliners, and a quick look at NH's website confirms the 2-2-2 layout as well for sample dates.

To be honest, until NH fixes this situation, I will book AC J no matter how cheap the NH J flight is, because it simply cannot be compared to AC J due to the seat.

So perhaps it's not SparseFlyer who is going to get flamed, it's me
Old Nov 23, 2017, 8:05 am

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
+1
+2

get the basics right first.

And lower the price. Doesn’t matter how good the food is the premium isn’t justified TCON.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 8:30 am

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
Nice report. Thanks for taking the time.

IMHO, serving elites and disregarding other paid J passengers is a huge "faux pas". It only happened once to me, but it's REALLY weird. Everyone around you gets meal and beverage requests, and you are just there looking at the ceiling. It really makes you wonder what you paid for.

But it's nice to see a J like experience on TCONs. I wouldn't read into the service times too much though. With an OSM and new procedures, it's bound to go slow/weird.

As for comparing with Asian carriers, AC just may have a fighting chance on that front. Airlines like NH do not provide this kind of service on their domestic routes. The personnel is better, but everything is inferior (including the lounges), and NH is a 5* Skytrax rated airline. (Before I get flammed, no, AC still cannot compete on international service.)

​​​​​​
Most airlines do that though. I have sat in J and have always watched their own FF get meal choice, etc before me. I think that is the standard. At least on SQ/NZ/Swiss/LH
Old Nov 23, 2017, 8:30 am

Originally Posted by Jebby_ca
As part of this trial, will they revise the breakfast service? Or is this enhancement only for lunch/dinner flights?

It'd be nice if they can change up that omelette and pancake offering, and maybe add in the ice cream and cookie service.
Oh yes...please a new omelette !
Old Nov 23, 2017, 8:37 am

Originally Posted by Plumber
I give kudos to AC if they are trying to bring TPAC-style service to their premium TCON cabin. I welcome it!
!
Back in 1988, I flew YYZ-YYC - might have been an L1011 - and got upgraded to First Class on a real 3 class plane (it was a thing then). I can't remember the number of seats - but we had Roast Beef carved at our seats by the staff.

In the airline business, things go from great to worse to great and back to worse again and then to great. Revisit this thread in a few years when a recession hits and Transcend service is one of the first cutbacks...

But awesome to see though.
Plumber likes this.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 8:59 am

Originally Posted by acysb87
How will this work when Mrs.acysb87 travels with me? She has little to zero status. Will be awkward when I am asked all these questions and then completely ignore her.
On AC 109 next Friday. Will be interested to see if this new test service will be available .
She will probably get good service when she travels with you..like Mrs.ac777 does when she is with me on the flight (E50k)but when she travels on award ticket in J she gets totally ignored...NRT-YYC last year the FAs did not even give her any coffee in the am claiming lapses in memory, on YYC-FRA a few days ago, they took her breakfast order, she had to ask for it in the am as they conveniently missed her and then was told it was not available. There us no way FAs knew she was on an awards ticket and that should not make any difference whatsoever
Old Nov 23, 2017, 9:16 am

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Plumber
NNNooooo! Please dont change the omelette!!! LOL
Before there were many Asia flights direct from YYZ, most of them departed ex YVR... And they used to serve the omelette on YOW-YYZ flight.... i would always get an omelette on that flight , then get another one on the YYZ-YVR flight as well. Yum!!
Lol. I'm getting pretty sick of the breakfast selection as well. I've started outright declining breakfast on some flights.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 9:27 am

Originally Posted by Diabeetus
Lol. I'm getting pretty sick of the breakfast selection as well. I've started outright declining breakfast on some flights.
You can't go wrong with the healthy option, these days.

That is usually where I end up
Old Nov 23, 2017, 9:57 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Well in my vast FOTSG TCON a year I found I got no PDB, no amenity kit, and not even a bottle of water. I assumed the latter two were enhancements and the first was down to ACs standard hit and miss approach (it was before PDBs were apparently outlawed).

Can we quantify were just SE getting priority or all E+? Meal selection first is one thing, actual service first seems flawed and would possibly slow down overall service, not to mention irritating paid J Tangerines.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ac777
She will probably get good service when she travels with you..like Mrs.ac777 does when she is with me on the flight (E50k)but when she travels on award ticket in J she gets totally ignored...NRT-YYC last year the FAs did not even give her any coffee in the am claiming lapses in memory, on YYC-FRA a few days ago, they took her breakfast order, she had to ask for it in the am as they conveniently missed her and then was told it was not available. There us no way FAs knew she was on an awards ticket and that should not make any difference whatsoever
She is on an award ticket.

I am now asking FAs to give my choice to Mrs.acysb87 and come back to me later
Old Nov 23, 2017, 10:14 am

Programs: TK *G
Originally Posted by escape4
Well I certainly would not flame you, in fact I would note that the last time I flew YVR-HND on NH, not only did I not get a lie-flat seat in J, but it was not even an angle-flat seat either, it was a recliner seat! In 2-2-2 layout to boot. So compare that with AC's layout with all J seats with aisle access for a 10+ hour flight, all I can say is wow NH, wow. I walked in that NH flight thinking "AC cannot compete" and came out thinking "at least on AC I can sleep". I am not aware of any 5* airline which has recliner seats for 10+ hour flights nowadays, but I might be wrong.

NH has several versions of their 787, some with all-aisle access layflat, some with 2-2-2 recliners as described above. NH might have rectified the YVR-HND situation since then because when I asked them what's up with that seat they said they were supposed to change the aircraft for that route "in the future". Looking at Google Flights it seems NH still uses the 787 version that has the recliners, and a quick look at NH's website confirms the 2-2-2 layout as well for sample dates.

To be honest, until NH fixes this situation, I will book AC J no matter how cheap the NH J flight is, because it simply cannot be compared to AC J due to the seat.

So perhaps it's not SparseFlyer who is going to get flamed, it's me
I too will not book YVR-HND on NH for the exact reason you mentioned. YVR-HND is similar to AC's YYT-LHR in terms of seat.

However I will book YYZ-ORD-NRT on NH over YYZ-YVR-NRT on AC every time.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 10:30 am

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
Originally Posted by songsc

It's interesting that AC has made many visible improvement over the years, such as new J seats, ....
Except for

Deflategate; new executive pods deflating in-flight

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.