Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Deflategate; new executive pods deflating in-flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 20, 2017, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Argonaut1000
Click here to go to a picture of the White Compensation Form and its stub

View Deflated Seat History Here (Database for submitted occurrences)
Enter New Deflated Seat Occurrence Here (Submit one if you have experienced deflated seat and it will show up in the database above)
----
From post #49 in this thread, here's one potential way to (re)inflate an AC seat:
  • Go the home screen "Your Seat". (find this on the seat side panel; not the main video screen)
    • Hold the top left hand corner "Air Canada" (with AC logo) for 3 seconds. Updated (Apr 9 18): may need to hold for as long as 45 seconds for key pad to appear
      • Dial pad shows up - hit 3-2-1.
        • Press "Reset Lumbar Support"
Note that this method has not met 100% success so YMMV.
A better method is for a crew member to use the reset switch under the seat, on the aisle side.

Compensation offers (green/white sheet completed)
40K AE- Apr 18 (50% back of the J class one way redemption)
2018 Jun - $500 coupon
2018 Sep $1,000 eCoupon or 40K AP (P fare TPAC)
2018 Sep $500 eCoupon (P fare TPAC) (no change on protest- update - 6 months later the $150 was increased to $500 - admitted they had made an error)

Compensation offers (no green/white sheet completed)
100K - May 5 (C$150 eCoupon; was moved to a functioning seat after meal service)
2017 Sept - 8,000 AE miles - reported via complaint web page after realizing it was a faulty seat, not standard discomfort; Asked for return of eUps but they declined.
2017 Nov & 2018 Feb - $500 coupons both times (second time on protest that $500 had been offered the previous time)
2018 Sep. $250 coupon (on a paid J TATL).
2018 Nov - $500 eCoupon (J TATL)

Standard eCoupon compensation offers (no haggling; following a recurring pattern)
~10+ hours: $1000
Long TPAC (TPE-YVR)

~6 to ~10 hours: $500
Short TPAC (NRT-YVR)
TATL
South America: YYZ-GRU

less than ~6 hours: 300
TCON

Have a Service Director (SD) That Is Giving You the Case of the Shrugs? Like the real life version of this ASCII emoji -> ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ?

No success with the SD and/or crew rectifying your deflated seat and you can't be/aren't accommodated to another J seat? If you asked for a compensation form and the SD says they have no idea what you are talking about, you can use the below picture of the stub portion to help freshen their memory (better than nothing)...

Please note that for the longest time, the "Green Compensation Form" version was used, and there have been recent reports of the "White Compensation Form" replacing the Green version. Reports here have indicated that the two forms are virtually identical except for the colour.
There is now an even newer White Form which explicitly lists "deflated seat" and "deflated seat and fixed", among many other items.

Here is a snapshot of the NEWEST full form (as of August 2019), courtesy of lallied

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31421855-post2093.html
Originally Posted by lallied
Clearly jinxed myself. New form in case hasnt been posted before.

Oops, see it has been. I just didn’t look far enough down ☹️

This is only the stub portion, courtesy of lallied

Originally Posted by lallied

There’s a main section which the SD fills in and detachable section you get to keep. Each has a reference number. It looks like the green one to me except it’s white.

Example

Mattress pads purchased and listed in this thread

Print Wikipost

Deflategate; new executive pods deflating in-flight

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2019, 2:31 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by aaamr
If I continue to fly AC for the remainder of the year, I'll probably hit somewhere between 80-90k.
I'll be doing that amount of flying in the next 5 weeks all ULH. Come prepared, enjoy the soft (literal and figurative) product, and maybe come out of it will a boatload of Aeroplan compensation points.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 8:17 pm

Programs: AC SEMM
Was on fin 749 yesterday and my seat 5d was deflated. Not aware of anyone else bringing it to their attention as I did but when exiting noticed that both 6d and 7d were also deflated. The seats had been occupied. Mentioned this to the concierge when making some other flight changes at the airport a few minutes later and they could have cared less.

I guess the problem isn’t serious enough yet as most aren’t even aware of the issue.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 8:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by Argonaut1000
Was on fin 749 yesterday and my seat 5d was deflated. Not aware of anyone else bringing it to their attention as I did but when exiting noticed that both 6d and 7d were also deflated. The seats had been occupied. Mentioned this to the concierge when making some other flight changes at the airport a few minutes later and they could have cared less.

I guess the problem isn’t serious enough yet as most aren’t even aware of the issue.

@Argonaut1000

Were you YVR-YYZ? If so, assume you mentioned it to the YYZ concierges?
Old Aug 16, 2019, 8:30 pm

Programs: AC SEMM
Originally Posted by 24left
@Argonaut1000

Were you YVR-YYZ? If so, assume you mentioned it to the YYZ concierges?
Yes and yes.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 8:38 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*

Or it’s so out of control they’re sick and tired of hearing about it and having to deal with it.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 9:11 pm
Suspended

.....Mentioned this to the concierge when making some other flight changes at the airport a few minutes later and they could have cared less.

So here's the thing (or multiples thereof)

IIRC, YYZ has 85 concierges. At least that's what I was told. As many of us know, there are some really competent ones, many of them who've been there a long time and at least a couple of the newer hires. However, there are also many others who are not clever/experienced/use-your-own-experience-with-them-descriptor-here. So I can understand if someone tells one of them about the deflated seats and the response is a shrug.

As a result of the CLUSTER that is the deflated seat mess, and worse, how AC has chosen to handle it, I decided to make sure every single concierge I come in contact with, is painfully aware of the situation.

I am not the only one who has made sure to tell the concierges not only about the seats, but about the failures by AC in resolving the issue. The sad part is, many of the concierges at these outstations apologized and I know they were sincere. I told them not to apologize as they are not at fault, but I wanted to make sure they were aware.

Further, there are some other people on this forum who do not post much, who have done the same at the stations they go through. They told me that some of these smaller-station concierges did not know, which we could understand.

And to be clear, while there are many concierges who now know and some are sympathetic, there are still those who don't know. And of course, there are those who shrug, either because they don't understand what we have experienced and can't relate, or because they don't care as it doesn't affect them.

I'm also not the only one to have SDs who claim they never heard of deflated seats while many of those I've flown with not only know, but they know exactly what we've reported in this thread.

Quite a few managers and VPs at AC know, but this has not been resolved because it has not cost AC any measurable business. The winds may change, or they may not. Perhaps a few AC captains who are on the receiving end of painful park benches while doing transcon dead-heading, or sitting in the crew rest seats in J on TPAC, might eventually have some comments of their own.

I've changed my flying to make things work better for me.
skybluesea, gcashin and Bohemian1 like this.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 10:12 pm

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
As a result of the CLUSTER that is the deflated seat mess, and worse, how AC has chosen to handle it, I decided to make sure every single concierge I come in contact with, is painfully aware of the situation.

I am not the only one who has made sure to tell the concierges not only about the seats, but about the failures by AC in resolving the issue.
Spending time & effort hammering the point home with frontline staff is a waste of that time & effort.

And to be clear, while there are many concierges who now know and some are sympathetic, there are still those who don't know. And of course, there are those who shrug, either because they don't understand what we have experienced and can't relate, or because they don't care as it doesn't affect them.
They all know of the issue. It's very well communicated within the company. Your assessment of their level of concern seems accurate.

Quite a few managers and VPs at AC know, but this has not been resolved because it has not cost AC any measurable business.
Again, every product and customer service manager and VP is very well aware of the issue. But if the current recipe yields a product that enough people eat, don't mess with the ingredients.
I've changed my flying to make things work better for me.
By reducing or ceasing flying on AC widebodies? Or bringing a mattress pad along?
Old Aug 16, 2019, 10:18 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer
Spending time & effort hammering the point home with frontline staff is a waste of that time & effort....
Perhaps in your opinion, but I have my reasons for enlightening them. Hammering is not involved
skybluesea likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 8:26 am
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite 2+ Million Miles
delete

Last edited by skybluesea; Dec 27, 2020 at 10:04 pm
Old Aug 17, 2019, 10:09 am

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Perhaps in your opinion, but I have my reasons for enlightening them. Hammering is not involved
Call it what you will.
I decided to make sure every single concierge I come in contact with, is painfully aware of the situation.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 11:38 am

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
Seat deflated on boarding in YYZ .. asked for maintenance to change bladder. Which they did.

i was surprised how thin the bladder was . I thought it would be rubber (which I would assume would be more flexible) but it’s a clear, heavy gauge plastic.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 11:52 am

Programs: TK*S, SPG Gold
Do other airlines use these seats/have the same issues?
Old Aug 17, 2019, 11:53 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by Plumber
Seat deflated on boarding in YYZ .. asked for maintenance to change bladder. Which they did.

i was surprised how thin the bladder was . I thought it would be rubber (which I would assume would be more flexible) but it’s a clear, heavy gauge plastic.
Good for you for insisting on that. I hope it wasn’t an argument to make it happen.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 12:11 pm

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by WaytoomuchEurope

Good for you for insisting on that. I hope it wasn’t an argument to make it happen.
The only time I ever had need to make such a request, it was flatly refused since the flight was already late.

For a fascinating read, go to
https://thesleepstudies.com/air-matt...ating-no-hole/
If a sole user bed is that sensitive to location, temperature, weight of user etc, it's hard to imagine an airplane seat ever surviving.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 1:27 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by jcamp028
Do other airlines use these seats/have the same issues?

@jcamp028

NO

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.