Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Deflategate; new executive pods deflating in-flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 20, 2017, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Argonaut1000
Click here to go to a picture of the White Compensation Form and its stub

View Deflated Seat History Here (Database for submitted occurrences)
Enter New Deflated Seat Occurrence Here (Submit one if you have experienced deflated seat and it will show up in the database above)
----
From post #49 in this thread, here's one potential way to (re)inflate an AC seat:
  • Go the home screen "Your Seat". (find this on the seat side panel; not the main video screen)
    • Hold the top left hand corner "Air Canada" (with AC logo) for 3 seconds. Updated (Apr 9 18): may need to hold for as long as 45 seconds for key pad to appear
      • Dial pad shows up - hit 3-2-1.
        • Press "Reset Lumbar Support"
Note that this method has not met 100% success so YMMV.
A better method is for a crew member to use the reset switch under the seat, on the aisle side.

Compensation offers (green/white sheet completed)
40K AE- Apr 18 (50% back of the J class one way redemption)
2018 Jun - $500 coupon
2018 Sep $1,000 eCoupon or 40K AP (P fare TPAC)
2018 Sep $500 eCoupon (P fare TPAC) (no change on protest- update - 6 months later the $150 was increased to $500 - admitted they had made an error)

Compensation offers (no green/white sheet completed)
100K - May 5 (C$150 eCoupon; was moved to a functioning seat after meal service)
2017 Sept - 8,000 AE miles - reported via complaint web page after realizing it was a faulty seat, not standard discomfort; Asked for return of eUps but they declined.
2017 Nov & 2018 Feb - $500 coupons both times (second time on protest that $500 had been offered the previous time)
2018 Sep. $250 coupon (on a paid J TATL).
2018 Nov - $500 eCoupon (J TATL)

Standard eCoupon compensation offers (no haggling; following a recurring pattern)
~10+ hours: $1000
Long TPAC (TPE-YVR)

~6 to ~10 hours: $500
Short TPAC (NRT-YVR)
TATL
South America: YYZ-GRU

less than ~6 hours: 300
TCON

Have a Service Director (SD) That Is Giving You the Case of the Shrugs? Like the real life version of this ASCII emoji -> Ż\_(ツ)_/Ż ?

No success with the SD and/or crew rectifying your deflated seat and you can't be/aren't accommodated to another J seat? If you asked for a compensation form and the SD says they have no idea what you are talking about, you can use the below picture of the stub portion to help freshen their memory (better than nothing)...

Please note that for the longest time, the "Green Compensation Form" version was used, and there have been recent reports of the "White Compensation Form" replacing the Green version. Reports here have indicated that the two forms are virtually identical except for the colour.
There is now an even newer White Form which explicitly lists "deflated seat" and "deflated seat and fixed", among many other items.

Here is a snapshot of the NEWEST full form (as of August 2019), courtesy of lallied

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31421855-post2093.html
Originally Posted by lallied
Clearly jinxed myself. New form in case hasnt been posted before.

Oops, see it has been. I just didn’t look far enough down ☹️

This is only the stub portion, courtesy of lallied

Originally Posted by lallied

There’s a main section which the SD fills in and detachable section you get to keep. Each has a reference number. It looks like the green one to me except it’s white.

Example

Mattress pads purchased and listed in this thread

Print Wikipost

Deflategate; new executive pods deflating in-flight

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2019, 7:28 am

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Flew in last night from YUL to YVR on AC 309 (FIN 844).

Ms. Boh's seat (2A) had a lumbar support that would not work. Maintenance came on board hit the reset switch and left. No joy. SD played with the menu and also crawled under the front of the seat for some reason. No joy.

I suggested moving her to the unaccompanied 1K but they said that seat was totally flat, which explains why they had moved some un-uniformed AC employee who was sitting there upstairs into the flight crew rest area.

Their 'fix' was to offer her another pillow for her back which she was okay with. No form was offered (these were reward seats, if that even matters). And at the end of a very long day that began in in FCO, we didn't really feel like putting up a fight.

No rest for the wicked - I'm off to BUD today. The good news is that I'm still on European time, the bad news is that I'm flying to FRA on AC. So we will see what that seat is like.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 9:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
They have no idea what kind of ticket you're on.

They can sometimes make a reasonable guess, but I've been ML*1 and ML*2 on full J.

Did you ask for a form and have the request denied, or was one just not proactively offered?
Old Jun 25, 2019, 10:25 am

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by canadiancow
They have no idea what kind of ticket you're on.

They can sometimes make a reasonable guess, but I've been ML*1 and ML*2 on full J.
Well, I'm pretty sure they could tell what kind of ticket we were on since it says "Business Reward / Prime Affaires" right on the boarding pass.

Originally Posted by canadiancow
Did you ask for a form and have the request denied, or was one just not proactively offered?
No form was asked for.

I encouraged her to do so, but she was pretty much a zombie at that point and didn't feel like kicking up a fuss. Been there, done that.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 10:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Bohemian1
Well, I'm pretty sure they could tell what kind of ticket we were on since it says "Business Reward / Prime Affaires" right on the boarding pass.
Unless you present your BP to the crew, they can't see that.

No form was asked for.

I encouraged her to do so, but she was pretty much a zombie at that point and didn't feel like kicking up a fuss. Been there, done that.
I wish it were more proactive, but I'm happy you weren't denied one in this case.

I think you should still write in about it though.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 6:00 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Good news: my wife's seat was deflated on 882 tonight, but maintenance was able to replace the bladder before we left.

Bad news: mine was also deflated but they only had one bladder at hand, so I got the hard reset and may be getting a compensation form later.

For what it's worth, the maintenance lady said the problem isn't always the bladder, sometimes it's that the pump is dead, and even when the bladders aren't punctured, there's some minimal amount of seepage that needs to be replaced.

I have been cutting back my AC international J flying as a result of this nonsense - took CX to HKG last month and very much looking forward to trying WS's new 789 in a few weeks - but I'm contemplating moving to a full boycott until this is resolved. I'm thinking of writing to AC and telling them that I want a free cancellation and full refund of all future trips I've booked on 777/787 flights.

Did yours actually say that? I'm on one of those right now and it just says "BUSINESS CLASS / CLASSE AFFAIRES". I do remember them referencing rewards in in the past. I wonder if IKK matters? e.g. if booked in I, it will state that it's a reward ticket, but not if IKKed?

Regardless, I don't think the crew response should be any different. I think that SDs who are good and know what they're doing will handle it appropriately, and those who aren't good won't. I've had a deflation issue handled very well by an SD who I had told we were flying on points and another handled poorly while on a revenue ticket.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 5:53 am

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
Originally Posted by Plumber
Another deflated seat on Fin 841 (789 aircraft)...I have reported it in the Wiki.

SD had no compensation forms on the plane so he took all my info and will fill it out on his return leg and text me a copy. The Captain came and chatted with me and gave me his personal email address and told me to email him if AC does not sort out compensation for this flight..
Update- received text with image of comp form from SD as promised on his return to YVR.

Received comp email from AC one day after I returned from my trip...which was one week after it was submitted by the SD.
expert7700 likes this.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 6:23 am

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Plumber
Update- received text with image of comp form from SD as promised on his return to YVR.

Received comp email from AC one day after I returned from my trip...which was one week after it was submitted by the SD.
That SD went above and beyond--likely had to disclose his personal # in order to send you the form.

I've heard crew members give out their # to pax, but not a business related form. More for, umm.. personal reasons.
Plumber and Bohemian1 like this.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 8:41 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by expert7700
That SD went above and beyond--likely had to disclose his personal # in order to send you the form.

I've heard crew members give out their # to pax, but not a business related form. More for, umm.. personal reasons.
I had an SD do the same thing for me YVR-SYD. No comp forms onboard so they gave me their personal email address and business card requesting that I e-mail them a reminder. Sure enough...48hrs later, I had a scanned copy of the comp form from the SD. Excellent handling of the situation.
Plumber likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 1:50 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Titanium & LTP, NEXUS
Flew AC34 (FIN 703) today from YVR-YYZ in 7A. Upper portion of seat was completely deflated after takeoff. The SD was able to reset it, and it lasted for about an hour. A 2nd reset attempt did not work. There was an empty seat so I moved a few things to 9D but the upper portion was deflated as well and even more uncomfortable. Moved back to 7A and made due with the blanket & pillows as there was only an hour left at this point.

I've managed to avoid the deflated seats so far personally, so I guess it's fitting to have two on the same flight
Old Jul 1, 2019, 7:21 am

I was writing to the AC support on Twitter a couple of months ago to make sure that the deflation problem would be solved by the time I was flying with them. I was told, that they were not aware of any problems with the seats. You might remember that.

Yesterday I flew from Calgary to Frankfurt. The seat was deflated after boarding. The flight attendant called for a mechanic. But they did not change the bladder saying that resetting the seat would be enough. Guess what: The seat was deflated two more times.

I was handed a compensation form. But I will refrain from booking Air Canada until this issue has been resolved.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 11:02 am

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by boeder
I was writing to the AC support on Twitter a couple of months ago to make sure that the deflation problem would be solved by the time I was flying with them. I was told, that they were not aware of any problems with the seats. You might remember that.

Yesterday I flew from Calgary to Frankfurt. The seat was deflated after boarding. The flight attendant called for a mechanic. But they did not change the bladder saying that resetting the seat would be enough. Guess what: The seat was deflated two more times.

I was handed a compensation form. But I will refrain from booking Air Canada until this issue has been resolved.
Same flight a several days ago, same thing. The mechanic that was called commented rather smugly that the under the seat reset would fix the problem. I was done arguing with AC employees at that point (they are either ill informed, don't care, or have been instructed to mislead the public). But yep, sure enough, seat deflated on the way to FRA and the occupant was left sitting on a pillow. It is just a really crappy attitude. The point I made to the SD and some other customer service rep that came on board is that I was asking for the form so that the seat would get fixed (the plane had just come from LHR, so they either didn't fix it on the turn-around, or they didn't know about it; in the latter case I assume asking for the form was the best way to get the problem logged and fixed). In fairness the concierge in YYC followed up with me after the fact, but still... Fix the problem AC. Just fix it. Or stop selling the defective seats. Pretty easy to figure this one out unless you are an unethical weasel. No disrespect to weasels.
wrp96 and Indiavictorcharlie like this.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by boeder

I do remember your posts upthread from May.
AC Twitter/SM team know nothing about anything, so asking questions like yours is futile.
Some of them have previously worked at places like the CC, where they were equally as useless.
Indiavictorcharlie likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 11:17 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Titanium & LTP, NEXUS
MAD-YYZ on FIN 854 yesterday. 4A was complaining about a deflated seat. I was in 6A and noticed the bottom half was completely deflated. Had to move to 3A to accommodate a parent/child seating adjustment, and 3A was fine.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 2:43 pm

Programs: Air France Flying Blue, Altitude SE-100k, AAdvantage, United Mileage Plus, WS rewards, BonVoy Titan
With all these seat issues turns those "confirmed upgrades" into real nail biters, since you never know if your seat will be taken from you at the last minute!
lallied likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 8:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by james dean
With all these seat issues turns those "confirmed upgrades" into real nail biters, since you never know if your seat will be taken from you at the last minute!
Do we have any confirmed reports of not-paid-J revenue pax being moved or downgraded to resolve a deflation event?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.