Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Deflategate; new executive pods deflating in-flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 20, 2017, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Argonaut1000
Click here to go to a picture of the White Compensation Form and its stub

View Deflated Seat History Here (Database for submitted occurrences)
Enter New Deflated Seat Occurrence Here (Submit one if you have experienced deflated seat and it will show up in the database above)
----
From post #49 in this thread, here's one potential way to (re)inflate an AC seat:
  • Go the home screen "Your Seat". (find this on the seat side panel; not the main video screen)
    • Hold the top left hand corner "Air Canada" (with AC logo) for 3 seconds. Updated (Apr 9 18): may need to hold for as long as 45 seconds for key pad to appear
      • Dial pad shows up - hit 3-2-1.
        • Press "Reset Lumbar Support"
Note that this method has not met 100% success so YMMV.
A better method is for a crew member to use the reset switch under the seat, on the aisle side.

Compensation offers (green/white sheet completed)
40K AE- Apr 18 (50% back of the J class one way redemption)
2018 Jun - $500 coupon
2018 Sep $1,000 eCoupon or 40K AP (P fare TPAC)
2018 Sep $500 eCoupon (P fare TPAC) (no change on protest- update - 6 months later the $150 was increased to $500 - admitted they had made an error)

Compensation offers (no green/white sheet completed)
100K - May 5 (C$150 eCoupon; was moved to a functioning seat after meal service)
2017 Sept - 8,000 AE miles - reported via complaint web page after realizing it was a faulty seat, not standard discomfort; Asked for return of eUps but they declined.
2017 Nov & 2018 Feb - $500 coupons both times (second time on protest that $500 had been offered the previous time)
2018 Sep. $250 coupon (on a paid J TATL).
2018 Nov - $500 eCoupon (J TATL)

Standard eCoupon compensation offers (no haggling; following a recurring pattern)
~10+ hours: $1000
Long TPAC (TPE-YVR)

~6 to ~10 hours: $500
Short TPAC (NRT-YVR)
TATL
South America: YYZ-GRU

less than ~6 hours: 300
TCON

Have a Service Director (SD) That Is Giving You the Case of the Shrugs? Like the real life version of this ASCII emoji -> ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ?

No success with the SD and/or crew rectifying your deflated seat and you can't be/aren't accommodated to another J seat? If you asked for a compensation form and the SD says they have no idea what you are talking about, you can use the below picture of the stub portion to help freshen their memory (better than nothing)...

Please note that for the longest time, the "Green Compensation Form" version was used, and there have been recent reports of the "White Compensation Form" replacing the Green version. Reports here have indicated that the two forms are virtually identical except for the colour.
There is now an even newer White Form which explicitly lists "deflated seat" and "deflated seat and fixed", among many other items.

Here is a snapshot of the NEWEST full form (as of August 2019), courtesy of lallied

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31421855-post2093.html
Originally Posted by lallied
Clearly jinxed myself. New form in case hasnt been posted before.

Oops, see it has been. I just didn’t look far enough down ☹️

This is only the stub portion, courtesy of lallied

There’s a main section which the SD fills in and detachable section you get to keep. Each has a reference number. It looks like the green one to me except it’s white.

Example

Mattress pads purchased and listed in this thread

Print Wikipost

Deflategate; new executive pods deflating in-flight

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2019, 4:25 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by Nitehawk
I believe it's 10hrs+ to get 1k. I flew YVR-NRT which is just under 10 IIRC and received a $500 voucher.
I recall reading/hearing that 10+ hour thing too which is why I was expecting the $1K for GRU-YYZ.

Oh well. I'm sure there's more "sorry your seat sucked" vouchers in my future.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 4:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
It could be distance-based. TPE-YVR is significantly longer distance than GRU-YYZ, even though the block time isn't much longer.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 4:29 pm

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
I have gotten $1000 on YVR-TPE more than once. Maybe they consider that “long”...

i would be unhappy if I got less than $1000 for any TPAC
Old Jun 19, 2019, 4:39 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM, Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Gold, National EE, Sixt Plat, Hz 5*
I was unhappy, but I didn't try complaining. Maybe I should. The funny part is I would have been going to TPE, but some cow grabbed the the R space before me. Lol
Plumber likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 5:18 pm

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
FIN 835. Seat 6A

i had the audacity to observe that they shouldn’t be selling a seat that was completely deflated on boarding and ask for a green form. The captain apparently decided to delay the departure as a result. So one unethical decision (not blocking the seat in the first place) now leads to a delay of 250 pax on a TATL flight. I have to say this is one of the most infuriating displays of idiocy I have seen in a while. Both the SD and the customer service rep who came on to the plane denied any systemic issue, denied this was more than a rare incident, denied that the 3-2-1 reset might not actually work to keep the seat inflated for a 10 hour flight and denied just giving me a green form and blocking the seat. Awesome AC. Totally awesome. Said in my best Spicoli voice. And if it matters, paid JCPZ for me and Ms. Ridefar. Also paid for a long long time ago (back in the days when a fix in Jan/Feb was in the cards).
Old Jun 19, 2019, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by ridefar
FIN 835. Seat 6A

i had the audacity to observe that they shouldn’t be selling a seat that was completely deflated on boarding and ask for a green form. The captain apparently decided to delay the departure as a result. So one unethical decision (not blocking the seat in the first place) now leads to a delay of 250 pax on a TATL flight. I have to say this is one of the most infuriating displays of idiocy I have seen in a while. Both the SD and the customer service rep who came on to the plane denied any systemic issue, denied this was more than a rare incident, denied that the 3-2-1 reset might not actually work to keep the seat inflated for a 10 hour flight and denied just giving me a green form and blocking the seat. Awesome AC. Totally awesome. Said in my best Spicoli voice. And if it matters, paid JCPZ for me and Ms. Ridefar. Also paid for a long long time ago (back in the days when a fix in Jan/Feb was in the cards).
How dare you AC.
(would like to hear that Spicoli voice sometime )

Oh, and you didn't get the green form because the forms are now white.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 6:46 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Both the SD and the customer service rep who came on to the plane denied any systemic issue, denied this was more than a rare incident,...
Seems neither read the bulletin my SD from the other day was talking about. Or they’re liars.

Shocker
Old Jun 19, 2019, 8:44 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
FIN 835. Seat 6A

To be fair though, you're just an SEMM so what would you know and why should they treat you with a modicum of respect?

Brutal.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 6:24 am

Programs: AC MM+
Originally Posted by WaytoomuchEurope
I received 3 vouchers between yesterday and today for my 3 incidents spaced out across 10 days - I guess they run these in batches.

Got a $500 for GRU-YYZ which I had hoped would be $1000 - maybe the fact it was an upgrade played into the decision or maybe it's only TPAC that is $1000.
Totally inconsistant with GRU-YYZ. Upgrade, LMU or paid J never had any impact on compensation in my case, all random it appears. I received $1000 yesterday for GRU-YYZ on a gate upgrade for June 7 on that exact segment while two weeks prior, I received $500 on paid J.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 7:26 am

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by WaytoomuchEurope
To be fair though, you're just an SEMM so what would you know and why should they treat you with a modicum of respect?

Brutal.
Just to conclude my story here in FRA. Seat was totally deflated upon landing. Despite the reassurance from maintenance who did the underseat reset that all would be fine. The customer service manager also swore to me this would fix it and was immune to the logic of “it deflated because it has a hole resetting it won’t fix the hole and it will just deflate again”. The SD before landing claimed to be out of the green / white forms. And oh yeah, the guy in 7A claimed to have flown the same FIN two days ago and it was broken then. Which validated my main point to the SD which was if it was broken it should have been blocked or fixed. Ms Ridefar was accommodated in another seat but I feel sorry for the lady who ended up in the broken seat.

Botton line: there was very clearly a consistent approach of denying the problem, not logging the problem, and not wanting to actually fix the issue for longer than a reset. Pretty incredible. And given they won’t even put it in the log as broken I have to wonder how it will ever get fixed.

I will definitely write to customer service in the next few days. As I made abundantly clear to the on board people: it is not about being a jerk or getting compensation it is about getting the problem fixed.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 8:26 am

Programs: Aeroplan, SPG/Marriott, Radisson Rewards
The SD before landing claimed to be out of the green / white forms.
I've stated before, now that customer service is claiming they require these forms, it is simply not acceptable to be "out" of them on board. I hope you include this (maybe in more politically correct terms) when you write in.

If I didn't have to connect anywhere, or had a very long connection, or no meeting, or whatever, personally I would tell the SD I'm happy to stick around and wait, so they can grab one from the airport (FRA should have a supply, shouldn't it?). I'm sure they'd be totally thrilled, but it would certainly drive the point home. Maybe I'm too petty here...
Old Jun 20, 2019, 10:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by D404
I've stated before, now that customer service is claiming they require these forms, it is simply not acceptable to be "out" of them on board. I hope you include this (maybe in more politically correct terms) when you write in.
My experience from two days ago contradicts your bolded word.

I'm curious the difference between my experiences and yours. Was the incident not logged for maintenance, so they don't have any way of verifying your claim?

I'd say maybe they don't believe you after so many incidents, but they continue to believe me every time with no pushback.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 10:42 am

Originally Posted by canadiancow
My experience from two days ago contradicts your bolded word.

I'm curious the difference between my experiences and yours. Was the incident not logged for maintenance, so they don't have any way of verifying your claim?

I'd say maybe they don't believe you after so many incidents, but they continue to believe me every time with no pushback.
I think it’s dependent on the customer service agent. Many of them are just fine but one or two specific CSAs refuse to give them until verified. In fact those same 1-2 refuse to provide it even if you attach the form and say you have to wait for it to be processed through another department. I won’t necessarily call it passive aggressive but it certainly bloody-minded
Old Jun 20, 2019, 10:46 am
Original Poster

I think it’s dependent on the customer service agent. Many of them are just fine but one or two specific CSAs refuse to give them until verified. In fact those same 1-2 refuse to provide it even if you attach the form and say you have to wait for it to be processed through another department. I won’t necessarily call it passive aggressive but it certainly bloody-minded

The latter point makes sense. If those forms are processed through a separate department, there's a huge possibility of you getting double the compensation if you're going through a separate channel.

I wonder how long my claim would have taken if I'd written in immediately after the incident instead of a month later (at which point it's very likely that if a form wasn't processed, it doesn't exist).
Old Jun 20, 2019, 10:53 am

Originally Posted by canadiancow
The latter point makes sense. If those forms are processed through a separate department, there's a huge possibility of you getting double the compensation if you're going through a separate channel.

I wonder how long my claim would have taken if I'd written in immediately after the incident instead of a month later (at which point it's very likely that if a form wasn't processed, it doesn't exist).
I always write in with the form and reference number which is then linked to the complaint number and have never ever had a duplicate compensation. If you question it later they can track it all back. I guess it’s possible that if a form was submitted by the service director on your behalf and you also wrote and said you didn’t have a form that you might get it twice but given it’s linked to your seat number and locator number I don’t think that happens either. It’s just a hassle to keep tracking these things because sometimes you never get a reply

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.