Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Deflategate; new executive pods deflating in-flight

Old Nov 20, 2017, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Argonaut1000
Click here to go to a picture of the White Compensation Form and its stub

View Deflated Seat History Here (Database for submitted occurrences)
Enter New Deflated Seat Occurrence Here (Submit one if you have experienced deflated seat and it will show up in the database above)
----
From post #49 in this thread, here's one potential way to (re)inflate an AC seat:
  • Go the home screen "Your Seat". (find this on the seat side panel; not the main video screen)
    • Hold the top left hand corner "Air Canada" (with AC logo) for 3 seconds. Updated (Apr 9 18): may need to hold for as long as 45 seconds for key pad to appear
      • Dial pad shows up - hit 3-2-1.
        • Press "Reset Lumbar Support"
Note that this method has not met 100% success so YMMV.
A better method is for a crew member to use the reset switch under the seat, on the aisle side.

Compensation offers (green/white sheet completed)
40K AE- Apr 18 (50% back of the J class one way redemption)
2018 Jun - $500 coupon
2018 Sep $1,000 eCoupon or 40K AP (P fare TPAC)
2018 Sep $500 eCoupon (P fare TPAC) (no change on protest- update - 6 months later the $150 was increased to $500 - admitted they had made an error)

Compensation offers (no green/white sheet completed)
100K - May 5 (C$150 eCoupon; was moved to a functioning seat after meal service)
2017 Sept - 8,000 AE miles - reported via complaint web page after realizing it was a faulty seat, not standard discomfort; Asked for return of eUps but they declined.
2017 Nov & 2018 Feb - $500 coupons both times (second time on protest that $500 had been offered the previous time)
2018 Sep. $250 coupon (on a paid J TATL).
2018 Nov - $500 eCoupon (J TATL)

Standard eCoupon compensation offers (no haggling; following a recurring pattern)
~10+ hours: $1000
Long TPAC (TPE-YVR)

~6 to ~10 hours: $500
Short TPAC (NRT-YVR)
TATL
South America: YYZ-GRU

less than ~6 hours: 300
TCON

Have a Service Director (SD) That Is Giving You the Case of the Shrugs? Like the real life version of this ASCII emoji -> Ż\_(ツ)_/Ż ?

No success with the SD and/or crew rectifying your deflated seat and you can't be/aren't accommodated to another J seat? If you asked for a compensation form and the SD says they have no idea what you are talking about, you can use the below picture of the stub portion to help freshen their memory (better than nothing)...

Please note that for the longest time, the "Green Compensation Form" version was used, and there have been recent reports of the "White Compensation Form" replacing the Green version. Reports here have indicated that the two forms are virtually identical except for the colour.
There is now an even newer White Form which explicitly lists "deflated seat" and "deflated seat and fixed", among many other items.

Here is a snapshot of the NEWEST full form (as of August 2019), courtesy of lallied

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31421855-post2093.html
Originally Posted by lallied
Clearly jinxed myself. New form in case hasnt been posted before.

Oops, see it has been. I just didn’t look far enough down ☹️

This is only the stub portion, courtesy of lallied

There’s a main section which the SD fills in and detachable section you get to keep. Each has a reference number. It looks like the green one to me except it’s white.

Example

Mattress pads purchased and listed in this thread

Print Wikipost

Deflategate; new executive pods deflating in-flight

Old May 21, 2019, 8:36 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by ChrisA330
It's nice that you declined maintenance because you had your air mattress. But what about the downline pax booked in your seat?

I find it ironic that given # of issues people have had here, there is a proactive decision to not fix an issue when given the opportunity.
+100

Repairing / addressing / eliminating these failures has to cost AC less then ignoring them, otherwise they’ll continue to ignore them. One could argue that the SD would’ve insisted on a seat swap before agreeing to allow maintenance to board, but in an otherwise full cabin, I’m not sure I would’ve been so content with my air mattress and concerned with AC’s OTP.
Old May 21, 2019, 9:23 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by ffsim
I’m not sure I would’ve been so content with my air mattress and concerned with AC’s OTP.
Don't forget that AC's OTP affects me and my connections, too. So it is in my best interest to get the plane pushed back on-time as well as another 150+ people onboard who also have to connect.
Old May 21, 2019, 9:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond

+100

Repairing / addressing / eliminating these failures has to cost AC less then ignoring them, otherwise they’ll continue to ignore them. One could argue that the SD would’ve insisted on a seat swap before agreeing to allow maintenance to board, but in an otherwise full cabin, I’m not sure I would’ve been so content with my air mattress and concerned with AC’s OTP.
SFO maintenance just did the reset that I and the crew are fully capable of doing ourselves. While maintenance at a hub may be able to actually fix the issue, it's not an obvious decision to delay the flight elsewhere.
Old May 21, 2019, 9:53 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by YVRtoYYZ
Don't forget that AC's OTP affects me and my connections, too. So it is in my best interest to get the plane pushed back on-time as well as another 150+ people onboard who also have to connect.
An absolutely fair point. I’m just saying it’s also in your interests to get what you paid for in terms of hard product, while it’s in AC’s interests to avoid fixing said hard product as long as it doesn’t affect their bottom line.
Old May 21, 2019, 9:58 am

An absolutely fair point. I’m just saying it’s also in your interests to get what you paid for in terms of hard product, while it’s in AC’s interests to avoid fixing said hard product as long as it doesn’t affect their bottom line.
And, the time I dug my heels in and said maintenance needed to fix was told firmly that was the captains call and if would delay flight would be offloaded.
Old May 21, 2019, 10:08 am
Original Poster

And, the time I dug my heels in and said maintenance needed to fix was told firmly that was the captains call and if would delay flight would be offloaded.
I'd argue for IDB compensation. They don't have a functioning seat for you, and they're offloading you... seems pretty clear cut that they've sold more than they have in that case.
ffsim, wrp96, canopus27 and 1 others like this.
Old May 21, 2019, 11:02 am

Originally Posted by canadiancow
I'd argue for IDB compensation. They don't have a functioning seat for you, and they're offloading you... seems pretty clear cut that they've sold more than they have in that case.
Yep I was prepared to go down that route but luckily maintenance arrived and fixed. But the threat to offload me if didn’t take my chances with a reset was very explicit.
canadiancow likes this.
Old May 21, 2019, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Yep I was prepared to go down that route but luckily maintenance arrived and fixed. But the threat to offload me if didn’t take my chances with a reset was very explicit.
@lallied

We've never met (that I know of), but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you weren't being unreasonable or rude as you seem level-headed here on FT (Yes that's all I'll go by!).

Disappointing that this is how AC treats AC*SM.

Also disappointing this issue is seemingly getting worse than better, at least as it seems at this juncture.

wrp96 and canadiancow like this.
Old May 21, 2019, 2:55 pm

Programs: Ice Cream Club, AC SE MM, Bonvoy Life Plat
I feel left out. Only had a deflated seat twice that I recall. Do I need to put the seat back for the fun to start? 99% of the time I toss all the bedding a pillow overhead and sit upright the whole flight.
Old May 21, 2019, 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by yyznomad

@lallied

We've never met (that I know of), but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you weren't being unreasonable or rude as you seem level-headed here on FT (Yes that's all I'll go by!).

Disappointing that this is how AC treats AC*SM.

Also disappointing this issue is seemingly getting worse than better, at least as it seems at this juncture.

I wasn’t being rude, and they weren’t being rude either. They just said that they could not delay the plane and I had a choice of taking my chances or being offloaded . I do of course see the point of getting the plane off on time and it is true that sometimes reset works - but I think that was after four in a row. Also it was in Toronto and I knew perfectly well that they could fix it. There have been times on the way home actually told them to just close the door and go after the local maintenance fiddled with the controls In a forlorn hope that it would fix the problem.

But I got the message trust me :-)
Old May 21, 2019, 3:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DrunkCargo
I feel left out. Only had a deflated seat twice that I recall. Do I need to put the seat back for the fun to start? 99% of the time I toss all the bedding a pillow overhead and sit upright the whole flight.
There are parts of it that you're less likely to notice sitting up (specifically the lower back, maybe the legs). But the part under your butt, and the upper back are definitely noticeable while seated upright.
Old May 21, 2019, 7:14 pm

Programs: BA Silver, SPG Gold, UA Platinum, AS MVP75K, Marriott Gold
This might be a random question; has AC ever acknowledged this problem publicly yet? Just curious. I’m booked in J on the 787 in July.
Old May 21, 2019, 8:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by jj12345
This might be a random question; has AC ever acknowledged this problem publicly yet? Just curious. I’m booked in J on the 787 in July.
AFAIK, no. But I guess that depends on your definition of "publicly" in this case. But my POV is no, just MHO.
Bohemian1 likes this.
Old May 21, 2019, 8:48 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by DrunkCargo
I'm impressed you can stay upright...
Old May 22, 2019, 10:47 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Marriott Titanium
For those awaiting compensation, below is an excerpt of the memo I got from AC after 6 weeks of waiting with no acknowledgement:

Our administrative team who processes the Onboard Compensation forms has unfortunately been working in a backlog and has yet to have the opportunity to process your form from flight ACXX on April XXth. I am pleased to process the compensation now for you.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.