Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Deflategate; new executive pods deflating in-flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 20, 2017, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Argonaut1000
Click here to go to a picture of the White Compensation Form and its stub

View Deflated Seat History Here (Database for submitted occurrences)
Enter New Deflated Seat Occurrence Here (Submit one if you have experienced deflated seat and it will show up in the database above)
----
From post #49 in this thread, here's one potential way to (re)inflate an AC seat:
  • Go the home screen "Your Seat". (find this on the seat side panel; not the main video screen)
    • Hold the top left hand corner "Air Canada" (with AC logo) for 3 seconds. Updated (Apr 9 18): may need to hold for as long as 45 seconds for key pad to appear
      • Dial pad shows up - hit 3-2-1.
        • Press "Reset Lumbar Support"
Note that this method has not met 100% success so YMMV.
A better method is for a crew member to use the reset switch under the seat, on the aisle side.

Compensation offers (green/white sheet completed)
40K AE- Apr 18 (50% back of the J class one way redemption)
2018 Jun - $500 coupon
2018 Sep $1,000 eCoupon or 40K AP (P fare TPAC)
2018 Sep $500 eCoupon (P fare TPAC) (no change on protest- update - 6 months later the $150 was increased to $500 - admitted they had made an error)

Compensation offers (no green/white sheet completed)
100K - May 5 (C$150 eCoupon; was moved to a functioning seat after meal service)
2017 Sept - 8,000 AE miles - reported via complaint web page after realizing it was a faulty seat, not standard discomfort; Asked for return of eUps but they declined.
2017 Nov & 2018 Feb - $500 coupons both times (second time on protest that $500 had been offered the previous time)
2018 Sep. $250 coupon (on a paid J TATL).
2018 Nov - $500 eCoupon (J TATL)

Standard eCoupon compensation offers (no haggling; following a recurring pattern)
~10+ hours: $1000
Long TPAC (TPE-YVR)

~6 to ~10 hours: $500
Short TPAC (NRT-YVR)
TATL
South America: YYZ-GRU

less than ~6 hours: 300
TCON

Have a Service Director (SD) That Is Giving You the Case of the Shrugs? Like the real life version of this ASCII emoji -> Ż\_(ツ)_/Ż ?

No success with the SD and/or crew rectifying your deflated seat and you can't be/aren't accommodated to another J seat? If you asked for a compensation form and the SD says they have no idea what you are talking about, you can use the below picture of the stub portion to help freshen their memory (better than nothing)...

Please note that for the longest time, the "Green Compensation Form" version was used, and there have been recent reports of the "White Compensation Form" replacing the Green version. Reports here have indicated that the two forms are virtually identical except for the colour.
There is now an even newer White Form which explicitly lists "deflated seat" and "deflated seat and fixed", among many other items.

Here is a snapshot of the NEWEST full form (as of August 2019), courtesy of lallied

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31421855-post2093.html
Originally Posted by lallied
Clearly jinxed myself. New form in case hasnt been posted before.

Oops, see it has been. I just didn’t look far enough down ☹️

This is only the stub portion, courtesy of lallied

Originally Posted by lallied

There’s a main section which the SD fills in and detachable section you get to keep. Each has a reference number. It looks like the green one to me except it’s white.

Example

Mattress pads purchased and listed in this thread

Print Wikipost

Deflategate; new executive pods deflating in-flight

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2019, 5:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite 2+ Million Miles
delete

Last edited by skybluesea; Dec 28, 2020 at 6:33 pm
Old May 5, 2019, 10:42 pm

Programs: AS 100K
Originally Posted by 3radc
Flew 15h TPAC yesterday and had my first occurrence of this . Had not heard of it before or seen it on 777 or 787 flights to SYD and BNE. Submitted white form SD was good about it tried to reset didn't work .321 code was still valid. Was the lower half of the seat and my butt is still sore a day later despite sitting on blankets provided . For paid J what sort of comp has been typical?

it's funny I come across this thread since I was thinking about a seat issue I had on a 787 almost two years ago. I booked a J award for YVR-YYZ-BOS with the transcon leg on a 787. As soon as I first sat on the seat, the seat bottom felt HARD. Like after I few minutes, my bum was hurting. The bottom felt over inflated. The cushioning controls didn't do anything and , unfortunately, I didn't say anything to the FAs since I was not sure what was going on. I knew something was wrong with the seat but didn't know how to explain it. Also, it was a red-eye flight so I just wanted to sleep right after TO. Sleeping was super uncomfortable. In bed mode, the seat bottom cushion bump was felt a lot. I wish I knew about the reset protocol for the seat.

Has anyone experienced this over-inflated seat bottom issue? or am I mistaken and was the seat bottom cushion really deflated?
Old May 6, 2019, 1:28 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by atcanobbio
Has anyone experienced this over-inflated seat bottom issue? or am I mistaken and was the seat bottom cushion really deflated?
The latter.
atcanobbio and canadiancow like this.
Old May 6, 2019, 1:41 am

Programs: AS 100K
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
The latter.
thanks

this is exactly why I'm against airlines using airbag cushioning systems on seats, they're not the most comfortable. They just end up feeling lumpy. Soft foam padding just like what AA/UA use on their seats is the way to go imo.
Old May 6, 2019, 7:24 am

Originally Posted by atcanobbio
thanks

this is exactly why I'm against airlines using airbag cushioning systems on seats, they're not the most comfortable. They just end up feeling lumpy. Soft foam padding just like what AA/UA use on their seats is the way to go imo.
+1

AC really needs to do something about these stupid deflating seats.
I experienced this problem a few times myself and wrote to AC every time it occurred, as I was really displeased with these garbage seats.
However, every time I got a response from AC, I didn't get the impression AC is taking this seriously, nor they are actually planning on doing anything about the seats.
I can't believe this is still happening 1.5 years after this thread was created.
Old May 6, 2019, 7:34 am

Programs: AC*G-E100K (once again)
Confused

So I'm confused

I've never encountered a deflategate seat. What does it feel like and is it that serious? Is it visible that its deflated?
Old May 6, 2019, 8:12 am

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
Originally Posted by cooleddie
So I'm confused

I've never encountered a deflategate seat. What does it feel like and is it that serious? Is it visible that its deflated?
It depends what part is deflated and if partially or fully deflated. It can be the 'seat' portion (which could the left or right side), or the 'back/lumbar' (which could be the bottom, middle, or headrest) portion

The seat part is very easy to tell - it feels like sitting on park bench and you can feel metal bars. The back part can be more difficult to tell when you are sitting upright, but is apparent when lying down. If either part is partially deflated, it will feel 'mushy'.

What I do upon boarding now is basically feel up the seat - press in all areas. If anything doesn't feel firm/full, it's deflated and I report it.
YVRtoYYZ and canadiancow like this.
Old May 6, 2019, 9:04 am

Programs: Aeroplan, SPG/Marriott, Radisson Rewards
Originally Posted by D582
What I do upon boarding now is basically feel up the seat - press in all areas. If anything doesn't feel firm/full, it's deflated and I report it.
Many times, I board and feel the seat, and it is very firm. But over maybe 30-60 mins it gets mushy, sitting in it. If you get up for like 2mins, it gets firm again. Sometimes if you raise yourself a bit, it also inflates more, like in a cycle. Somewhat annoying, and clearly broken in some way, but not a full deflate. This happens on what feels like almost 100% of flights. Not sure if it is SOP or what.
Old May 7, 2019, 2:12 pm

I asked the social media team on twitter about the status of the faulty seats and how my chances are on ending up in a deflated one when travelling with AC end of June. This is what I got in return:

Hello, we're surprised to hear of this as we always expect for our maintenance team do go over the conditions of our aircraft to ensure we deliver not only a safe travel experience to our passengers, but also a seamless comfortable one. If you encounter any discomfort on board, you may always speak to our in-flight staff for assistance.
Old May 7, 2019, 2:14 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by boeder
I asked the social media team on twitter about the status of the faulty seats and how my chances are on ending up in a deflated one when travelling with AC end of June. This is what I got in return:

Hello, we're surprised to hear of this as we always expect for our maintenance team do go over the conditions of our aircraft to ensure we deliver not only a safe travel experience to our passengers, but also a seamless comfortable one. If you encounter any discomfort on board, you may always speak to our in-flight staff for assistance.
Wowzers....complete BS as I go to twitter now every time I encounter a deflated seat. Might as well make it a public record. Always get the same response: "logged for maintenance to review".
Old May 7, 2019, 2:25 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
BS indeed.

I wonder if getting poked in my bits by chunks of metal qualifies as either "comfortable" or "seamless".

They felt like pretty uncomfortable seams to me.

Last edited by Bohemian1; May 7, 2019 at 2:42 pm
Old May 7, 2019, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by boeder

Can you share the link?
jmottle likes this.
Old May 7, 2019, 2:49 pm

Programs: AC*50K MM
Originally Posted by yyznomad
Can you share the link?
Count me in, I'd love to add to that post. I'm sure half this thread would.
Old May 7, 2019, 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by yyznomad
Can you share the link?
It’s not public. I was sending a private message on twitter. I’ll let you know what they say once I get a reply to my follow up.
Old May 7, 2019, 4:54 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Marriott Titanium

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.