Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Deflategate; new executive pods deflating in-flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 20, 2017, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Argonaut1000
Click here to go to a picture of the White Compensation Form and its stub

View Deflated Seat History Here (Database for submitted occurrences)
Enter New Deflated Seat Occurrence Here (Submit one if you have experienced deflated seat and it will show up in the database above)
----
From post #49 in this thread, here's one potential way to (re)inflate an AC seat:
  • Go the home screen "Your Seat". (find this on the seat side panel; not the main video screen)
    • Hold the top left hand corner "Air Canada" (with AC logo) for 3 seconds. Updated (Apr 9 18): may need to hold for as long as 45 seconds for key pad to appear
      • Dial pad shows up - hit 3-2-1.
        • Press "Reset Lumbar Support"
Note that this method has not met 100% success so YMMV.
A better method is for a crew member to use the reset switch under the seat, on the aisle side.

Compensation offers (green/white sheet completed)
40K AE- Apr 18 (50% back of the J class one way redemption)
2018 Jun - $500 coupon
2018 Sep $1,000 eCoupon or 40K AP (P fare TPAC)
2018 Sep $500 eCoupon (P fare TPAC) (no change on protest- update - 6 months later the $150 was increased to $500 - admitted they had made an error)

Compensation offers (no green/white sheet completed)
100K - May 5 (C$150 eCoupon; was moved to a functioning seat after meal service)
2017 Sept - 8,000 AE miles - reported via complaint web page after realizing it was a faulty seat, not standard discomfort; Asked for return of eUps but they declined.
2017 Nov & 2018 Feb - $500 coupons both times (second time on protest that $500 had been offered the previous time)
2018 Sep. $250 coupon (on a paid J TATL).
2018 Nov - $500 eCoupon (J TATL)

Standard eCoupon compensation offers (no haggling; following a recurring pattern)
~10+ hours: $1000
Long TPAC (TPE-YVR)

~6 to ~10 hours: $500
Short TPAC (NRT-YVR)
TATL
South America: YYZ-GRU

less than ~6 hours: 300
TCON

Have a Service Director (SD) That Is Giving You the Case of the Shrugs? Like the real life version of this ASCII emoji -> Ż\_(ツ)_/Ż ?

No success with the SD and/or crew rectifying your deflated seat and you can't be/aren't accommodated to another J seat? If you asked for a compensation form and the SD says they have no idea what you are talking about, you can use the below picture of the stub portion to help freshen their memory (better than nothing)...

Please note that for the longest time, the "Green Compensation Form" version was used, and there have been recent reports of the "White Compensation Form" replacing the Green version. Reports here have indicated that the two forms are virtually identical except for the colour.
There is now an even newer White Form which explicitly lists "deflated seat" and "deflated seat and fixed", among many other items.

Here is a snapshot of the NEWEST full form (as of August 2019), courtesy of lallied

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31421855-post2093.html
Originally Posted by lallied
Clearly jinxed myself. New form in case hasnt been posted before.

Oops, see it has been. I just didn’t look far enough down ☹️

This is only the stub portion, courtesy of lallied

Originally Posted by lallied

There’s a main section which the SD fills in and detachable section you get to keep. Each has a reference number. It looks like the green one to me except it’s white.

Example

Mattress pads purchased and listed in this thread

Print Wikipost

Deflategate; new executive pods deflating in-flight

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2019, 5:39 am

Programs: AC SE, UA, National Exec Elite, Nexus, GE
Originally Posted by canopus27
Having publicly declared that I have not (knowingly) experienced a delayedd seat ... this confuses me.

I'm sure you're correct... I just don't understand.

If the experience is so subtle that I can't even tell if I have a deflated seat, then how bad can it be? There are folks here reporting that they had tremendous pain after experiencing a seat deflation event (SDE?) ... so I'm more than a little confused to learn that the experience can also be so slight that I wouldn't even notice it.

If I have one of these subtle seat deflation events (SSDE), would I still get the full compensation from AC?

(Serious question here; given previous confusion l thought I should clarify that no sarcasm is intended in this question. I honestly don't get it.)
I only realized I did in fact experience a few deflated seats AFTER I had my official confirmed deflategate. It was on a TPAC flight when I woke up to a bad hip pain, and I checked the cushion, it felt like there was nothing between the cover and the bare frame underneath it. So I alerted a crew member, still not knowing if that's the way it was supposed to be. (On a few other previous TPAC flights, I checked the seat cushions mid-flight and they felt the same way, so I thought they were normal.) When the crew member came over to check it out, he said "oh it's deflated". That's when I knew they were not normal.

As to how bad the pain was? It really depends on the person. Like I mentioned, I had trained my body over the years to be able to sleep through any condition and on very rough surfaces. To me, I'd have no trouble sleeping on airport benches, although I do occasionally feel a bit of soreness in my hip bones afterwards. The deflated seat felt a bit like that, and the only reason I felt the hip pain on that TPAC flight was that my hip was on the only portion that deflated and had no support. All of the previous deflated seats gave me the same soreness sensation as sleeping on airport benches, and because I was used to it, I didn't even think to report them to the crew members and instead thought there were nothing wrong with the seats, just me.

Someone who's always slept on comfortable surfaces may suffer much more if they sat in a deflated seat and will likely notice immediately, so YMMV. To me, it was mostly just uncomfortable, but I'm still ticked that AC has known about the widespread issue and hasn't shown much initiative to get the problem resolved.

And to those who wonder - since my officially confirmed deflated seat, I have not stepped on an AC flight since. I'm not about to put myself through that until AC has replaced the broken seats. Even though it was just uncomfortable for me personally, I have the right to choose to spend my money where I see value. For now, that value doesn't exist with AC J, whether paid or eUpgrade. And yes, I did receive the standard eCoupon compensation, but I still have lots of time to use it so I'm not in any rush to play Russian Roulette.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 8:15 am
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite 2+ Million Miles
delete

Last edited by skybluesea; Dec 30, 2020 at 9:57 pm
Old Apr 11, 2019, 8:30 am

Programs: AC SE, UA, National Exec Elite, Nexus, GE
Originally Posted by skybluesea
First, have you advised AC of your decision?

And for myself, I wrote back to AC and rejected the $1,000 unilateral compensation offer, made a counter-proposal, and explained what complaints to public agencies that were forthcoming.
As a matter of fact, I did write to them that the response to my complaint will influence my decision on future purchases. I received the standard compensation, but I decided not to waste any more time pursuing the matter any further. My time and energy is better spent doing something else of benefits to me. However, I no longer looked at AC fares to anywhere since that response from AC customer relations.

I will happily fly BR/NH/SQ/TK/TP/SK. Air Canada’s TATL JV partners have become collateral damages as I really don’t want my money to go to AC as part of the revenue sharing agreement.
skybluesea and Unionruler like this.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 9:10 am
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite 2+ Million Miles
delete

Last edited by skybluesea; Dec 30, 2020 at 9:57 pm
Old Apr 15, 2019, 11:51 am

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP, HH Gold, Accor Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Just experienced this on DEL-YVR today. Had no issues on the outbound, but the back of my seat lost its cushioning early on the return. The lead FA (SD?) came over and did the reset mentioned in the wiki above - I took notes, and had to reset multiple times during my attempt at sleeping. When I eventually got up and mentioned the frequency of the issue, they offered to move me to a vacant seat, but at that point there were just 3 hours remaining and I was well entrenched in my pod. The crew were excellent, but let's just say that my back has seen better days. I wasn't given a compensation form - didn't occur to me to ask for one on board. What's the best avenue to write in a complaint?
Old Apr 15, 2019, 1:22 pm

It's now mid-April, and I was wondering if any of the more experienced AC travellers here who have their finger on the pulse know whether the fabled seat repair/replacement solution has been cleared by regulators/Boeing and whether we can expect it to be rolled out anytime soon?

(Unlike most of you, I've only flown J once for my honeymoon last year, but experienced a lower lumbar deflate on the flight back. We're planning on taking other products for a couple trips we have lined up, however being based in YYZ, AC is usually the most convenient way to go which is why I've been following this thread.)
Old Apr 15, 2019, 5:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by cricketer
Just experienced this on DEL-YVR today. Had no issues on the outbound, but the back of my seat lost its cushioning early on the return. The lead FA (SD?) came over and did the reset mentioned in the wiki above - I took notes, and had to reset multiple times during my attempt at sleeping. When I eventually got up and mentioned the frequency of the issue, they offered to move me to a vacant seat, but at that point there were just 3 hours remaining and I was well entrenched in my pod. The crew were excellent, but let's just say that my back has seen better days. I wasn't given a compensation form - didn't occur to me to ask for one on board. What's the best avenue to write in a complaint?
The online complaint form is probably best avenue now.

Given that you were given an alternative (moving to another J seat) and declined, you might not get any compensation, but YMMV.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 6:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP, HH Gold, Accor Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by yyznomad
The online complaint form is probably best avenue now.

Given that you were given an alternative (moving to another J seat) and declined, you might not get any compensation, but YMMV.
Fair - but I was given that option 11 hours into a 14+ hour flight ... possibly my fault for just waking up and resetting instead of getting out of bed and complaining more volubly. Not particularly concerned about getting rich from this, it's more a matter of principle, and the presumption that every extra complaint will help nudge AC towards acknowledging and ultimately resolving this.
YYC traveler and canadiancow like this.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by cricketer
Fair - but I was given that option 11 hours into a 14+ hour flight ... possibly my fault for just waking up and resetting instead of getting out of bed and complaining more volubly. Not particularly concerned about getting rich from this, it's more a matter of principle, and the presumption that every extra complaint will help nudge AC towards acknowledging and ultimately resolving this.
Won't hurt to try the online form then. I'd give a it a go if I were in your situation.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 9:44 am

My wife flew AC31 YYZ-PEK and AC12 PVG-YUL this past week. I had informed her of Deflategate after reading about it here (and cancelling my own AC reservation—see my post earlier in this thread).

The seat was fully inflated and 100% comfortable on AC12. However, she definitely experienced at least a partial deflation on AC31.

She said the seat felt fine on boarding in Toronto, but she woke up midway through the flight when it was in flat bed mode and it was deflated and hard in the middle of the bed, kind of near the lumbar area if it was in seat mode . However, she said it wasn't excruciating, just uncomfortable. She thinks that if she hadn't been informed about Deflategate beforehand, she might've just assumed that was how the seat was supposed to feel.

I think that AC is getting away with this because most passengers, especially those who don't travel in J often, don't realize it is actually a problem—only frequent fliers and those "in the know" after reading this thread are aware that they're not getting what they paid for.

EDIT: My wife liked the brand new terminal where the AC gates are at LGA, and enjoyed her experience at the YYZ lounge. She thought the FAs were great. But she said that she wouldn't fly in AC J again until this seat nonsense is confirmed to be a thing of the past.

Last edited by fast passenger; Apr 16, 2019 at 10:16 am
Old Apr 16, 2019, 6:18 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Marriott Titanium
The last 45mins of AC859 seat 8K on FIN 842 C-FGHZ went flat.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 12:32 pm

Boarded EWR-YVR, back portion of the seat above the lumbar was flat. Captain notified. No open J seats. BA tech called on board. Seat reset from the rear base. Proper inflation through the rest of the flight. Did not impact pushback time.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 5:12 am

Programs: AC E75K
Originally Posted by capedreamer

Guess two in a row would have been too much to ask.

5K on AC846 on 3/26 (C-FITW) is deflated.
Flying the same bird (C-FITW, fin 733) on 4/29 (AC847) and 4K is also deflated.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 8:18 am

Originally Posted by saaveraward
Boarded EWR-YVR, back portion of the seat above the lumbar was flat. Captain notified. No open J seats. BA tech called on board. Seat reset from the rear base. Proper inflation through the rest of the flight. Did not impact pushback time.
Same problem YVR-YYZ, keypad reset worked
Old Apr 29, 2019, 5:30 pm

Programs: AC 100K, Alaska MVP Gold 75K, Marriott/SPG (Bonvoy?) Gold Elite/HHonors Gold
Had one again today YVR-YYZ. First time in the last 6 flights.

Wiki updated and looks like one other also had the same issue (based on a few white forms).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.