Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Deflategate; new executive pods deflating in-flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 20, 2017, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Argonaut1000
Click here to go to a picture of the White Compensation Form and its stub

View Deflated Seat History Here (Database for submitted occurrences)
Enter New Deflated Seat Occurrence Here (Submit one if you have experienced deflated seat and it will show up in the database above)
----
From post #49 in this thread, here's one potential way to (re)inflate an AC seat:
  • Go the home screen "Your Seat". (find this on the seat side panel; not the main video screen)
    • Hold the top left hand corner "Air Canada" (with AC logo) for 3 seconds. Updated (Apr 9 18): may need to hold for as long as 45 seconds for key pad to appear
      • Dial pad shows up - hit 3-2-1.
        • Press "Reset Lumbar Support"
Note that this method has not met 100% success so YMMV.
A better method is for a crew member to use the reset switch under the seat, on the aisle side.

Compensation offers (green/white sheet completed)
40K AE- Apr 18 (50% back of the J class one way redemption)
2018 Jun - $500 coupon
2018 Sep $1,000 eCoupon or 40K AP (P fare TPAC)
2018 Sep $500 eCoupon (P fare TPAC) (no change on protest- update - 6 months later the $150 was increased to $500 - admitted they had made an error)

Compensation offers (no green/white sheet completed)
100K - May 5 (C$150 eCoupon; was moved to a functioning seat after meal service)
2017 Sept - 8,000 AE miles - reported via complaint web page after realizing it was a faulty seat, not standard discomfort; Asked for return of eUps but they declined.
2017 Nov & 2018 Feb - $500 coupons both times (second time on protest that $500 had been offered the previous time)
2018 Sep. $250 coupon (on a paid J TATL).
2018 Nov - $500 eCoupon (J TATL)

Standard eCoupon compensation offers (no haggling; following a recurring pattern)
~10+ hours: $1000
Long TPAC (TPE-YVR)

~6 to ~10 hours: $500
Short TPAC (NRT-YVR)
TATL
South America: YYZ-GRU

less than ~6 hours: 300
TCON

Have a Service Director (SD) That Is Giving You the Case of the Shrugs? Like the real life version of this ASCII emoji -> ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ?

No success with the SD and/or crew rectifying your deflated seat and you can't be/aren't accommodated to another J seat? If you asked for a compensation form and the SD says they have no idea what you are talking about, you can use the below picture of the stub portion to help freshen their memory (better than nothing)...

Please note that for the longest time, the "Green Compensation Form" version was used, and there have been recent reports of the "White Compensation Form" replacing the Green version. Reports here have indicated that the two forms are virtually identical except for the colour.
There is now an even newer White Form which explicitly lists "deflated seat" and "deflated seat and fixed", among many other items.

Here is a snapshot of the NEWEST full form (as of August 2019), courtesy of lallied

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31421855-post2093.html
Originally Posted by lallied
Clearly jinxed myself. New form in case hasnt been posted before.

Oops, see it has been. I just didn’t look far enough down ☹️

This is only the stub portion, courtesy of lallied

Originally Posted by lallied

There’s a main section which the SD fills in and detachable section you get to keep. Each has a reference number. It looks like the green one to me except it’s white.

Example

Mattress pads purchased and listed in this thread

Print Wikipost

Deflategate; new executive pods deflating in-flight

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2019, 11:58 am
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite 2+ Million Miles
delete
canopus27 likes this.

Last edited by skybluesea; Dec 30, 2020 at 9:54 pm
Old Apr 6, 2019, 1:39 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
Just took heat on board from SD because she caught me doing the reset. Something about circuit breakers and fires. Nonsense. Anyway, 6K is on its 2nd reset and the SD is upset with me. Should be a great flight.

Can someone please confirm the fin number for 119 today is 740?

I will wait and see if the reset(s) hold before adding to wiki.
skybluesea likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 1:43 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by WaytoomuchEurope
Can someone please confirm the fin number for 119 today is 740?

Indeed it is.

I will wait and see if the reset(s) hold before adding to wiki.
​​​​​​​If you've had to reset twice before even leaving the gate, it's likely not going to. But good luck
skybluesea and wrp96 like this.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 1:47 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
[left]
Originally Posted by Adam Smith

If you've had to reset twice before even leaving the gate, it's likely not going to. But good luck

Agreed. SD theorizes that I did the second one too quickly before allowing a full inflate. It’s a possibility.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 2:19 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by WaytoomuchEurope
Just took heat on board from SD because she caught me doing the reset. Something about circuit breakers and fires. Nonsense. Anyway, 6K is on its 2nd reset and the SD is upset with me. Should be a great flight.
SD on AC33 yesterday said something similar - only 2 resets permitted then it messes with the wiring (?). Never been told that before.

Edit: I should also add that 3-2-1 did trigger the pump so that functionality was not disabled. Ironically enough, the SD was struggling with getting to the keypad screen via the Rondelle and then entered 1-2-3 incorrectly; yet, they were the ones telling me only 2 resets maximum. In other words, don't put too much weight into their "2 resets" comment.

Last edited by YVRtoYYZ; Apr 6, 2019 at 2:28 pm
Old Apr 6, 2019, 2:32 pm

Programs: AC SE MM; SPG Plat
Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
However, I do not see AC simply giving $1000 compensation unless it was certain that the cost could be charged back. As wonderful as Calin and Company are, the airline isn't a benevolent fund.
Really? So if there is no certainty that the cost could be charged back, is it your position that the compensation that AC would give would be zero (or something significantly less than $1,000)?

As a customer it's AC that hasn't delivered a promised feature, so I don't actually care whose pocket compensation comes out of. No, AC isn't a benevolent fund, but if a corporation sells something and only partially delivers, surely reasonable compensation is due. I don't care whose fault it is and I don't care who ultimately pays the bill.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 2:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
And you accept the airline statement at face value? For someone who is pretty quick to challenge the airline when you feel you have been mistreated, I am surprised that you are so trusting. The issue isn't simply one of regulatory approval as there is an existing APPROVED solution and that is the use of seat mattresses. All fabric and materials used in aircraft related products requires fire rating certification and the fabric fibres and mattress material is already found onboard aircraft in the seats, carpets and cushions.
It's not that I trust AC, it's that there is no other data, just speculation. "It can't take this long" has nothing to back it up.

My main issues with AC are when they say X but I experienced not-X. When I know they're making stuff up. It's unfounded speculation right now in this thread.

I have very little idea how the approval process works. Can they give everyone a mattress? Is there enough vertical clearance on the seats for one to be practical?

Transport Canada has fast track procedures to address urgent issues and the two years+ delay is far beyond what could be reasonably expected for a simple onboard issue.
But who has been slow? TC? The manufacturer? AC?

There's definitely a problem, and compensation is definitely owed by AC, but I've seen no evidence to suggest AC is the one slowing the fix.

Originally Posted by PB53x11
Really? So if there is no certainty that the cost could be charged back, is it your position that the compensation that AC would give would be zero (or something significantly less than $1,000)?

As a customer it's AC that hasn't delivered a promised feature, so I don't actually care whose pocket compensation comes out of. No, AC isn't a benevolent fund, but if a corporation sells something and only partially delivers, surely reasonable compensation is due. I don't care whose fault it is and I don't care who ultimately pays the bill.
Agreed.

I recently received a $150 gift card because a 77W didn't have working wifi. I highly doubt they're going to charge that back to Gogo.

When they sell something, but fail to deliver it, they compensate, out of their own pockets.
skybluesea and canopus27 like this.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 3:05 pm
Suspended

delete

Old Apr 6, 2019, 3:13 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by canadiancow
When they sell something, but fail to deliver it, they compensate, out of their own pockets.
Depends on what warranties, performance guarantees, etc, were offered by the manufacturer. Remember that AC spent tens, or more likely hundreds, of millions of dollars on these seats, and it would not be uncommon for such mechanisms to be built in to such a contract. For instance, perhaps the manufacturer guaranteed that only 10% of bladders would need to be replaced within a 10-year period (i.e. 90% should be fine for 10+ years) and agreed to compensate AC for any costs if the results were worse than that. Or there may have been no guarantees so direct, but perhaps AC has threatened to sue because the seats were defective/did not meet required specs, and the settlement included B/E (whatever it is now) footing the bill for AC's customer compensation. There any many different ways in which some or all of the compensation costs could be billed back to the manufacturer, although they could also be subject to a cap.

Certainly the eMCOs are coming out of AC's pocket initially, and I don't know that we've seen any concrete evidence that the manufacturer is paying. But unless you have some info from a credible source within AC, I don't think we can rule it out.
skybluesea likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 3:50 pm

Programs: AC SE MM; SPG Plat
Originally Posted by skybluesea
Stop making excuses for AC - they are ripping off J customers, and whistling happily on their way to the bank.
Umm ... how can what I said possibly be viewed as making an excuse for AC? I'm saying they should compensate, regardless of whether they can recover from the OEM.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 4:25 pm
Suspended

delete

Old Apr 6, 2019, 9:56 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
Originally Posted by PB53x11

My position is that a service provider will be more generous in its compensation when it is not the entity that ultimately incurs the cost of that compensation. Also the severity of the event and the quantum of the damage incurred is a major determinant of the compensation. You may not care who's fault it is, but you can be assured that the people paying most certainly do. Air Canada is no different than other service providers/product distributors in that regard.

When an allegation of defect or product caused injury is received, a company will first review the claim to see if it is possible. Then it will review to see if the company is legally liable to provide compensation. In cases of small brand related issues (cold food, misdelivered luggage, wifi failure etc.) the company has its own internal schedule of compensation. This is why AC is fairly quick to hand out the discount codes for malfunctioning wifi or IROPS. However, on bigger issues where other parties may have been responsible, the company will hand back the claim to the supplier and ask what's your position. I am 100% certain that with a problem as serious and significant as the seat issue that the airline has gone back to the supplier of the seats and asked for compensation. IMO, there is no way that Air Canada has made the call on its own to award $1000 without being certain that there was an avenue of subrogation.

For example, if you purchase a product at Costco or Walmart and something goes wrong, resulting in a bodily injury or property damage, it is not the retailer who addresses the claim. The demand gets flipped to the supplier who in turn provides it to their product liability insurer, and it is that insurer who responds. This process can take months to years to resolve depending upon the severity of the claim.

Due to the extent of the problem and the costs involved, I can see this situation having the potential of tens of millions of dollars to resolve depending upon the nature of the defect and the extent of the problem. There is no way that Air Canada will have just said, hey, let's be swell and pay out millions of dollars. The institutional shareholders would have been furious. And yes, the ability to collect back from a supplier has a major influence on a service/product provider to offer compensation for an alleged defect. It's much easier to be generous with someone else's money

It's not that I trust AC, it's that there is no other data, just speculation. "It can't take this long" has nothing to back it up.
My main issues with AC are when they say X but I experienced not-X. When I know they're making stuff up. It's unfounded speculation right now in this thread.
I have very little idea how the approval process works. Can they give everyone a mattress? Is there enough vertical clearance on the seats for one to be practical?
But who has been slow? TC? The manufacturer? AC?
There's definitely a problem, and compensation is definitely owed by AC, but I've seen no evidence to suggest AC is the one slowing the fix.

Agreed.

I recently received a $150 gift card because a 77W didn't have working wifi. I highly doubt they're going to charge that back to Gogo.

The problem here is more complex than a simple product liability claim, and this has an impact upon the management of the claims and how they will be compensated. You misunderstand the liability process when you assume that if a company sells something and fails to deliver, that they will compensate out of their own pocket. The short answer is no, a company may not have to provide compensation. The company must be legally liable to pay the compensation. On small items, yes, it may be easiest to just toss some money and get rid of the issue, but no public company pays out claims that can aggregate into something large without there being a way to collect the money.

My view on the issue is that Air Canada is not to blame for a large part of the delay in fixing the problem. It had to wait on the supplier and a determination whether or not the manufacturer was legally liable for the damage both the alleged defect and the financial costs of the compensation paid to pax. If the manufacturer is insured, then it had to wait on its insurer to accept the claim and to confirm what would be paid. If there was no insurance coverage, then there was an issue of contractual indemnification as per the terms and conditions of the supply agreement.
As public companies, the airline and its supplier(s) had to follow a defined process and that takes times. Complex product liability and defect claims can drag on for years. Air Canada isn't alone on this.

Where the airline has failed and I believe has betrayed the trust of its customers, is in not being transparent about the problem. It has obfuscated and dithered on the issue for too long. The airline has not provided a clear statement of the issue with the manufacturer and whether it has a right of redress and what the compensation is. There is a known product defect, and has been stated many times upthread, the airline continues to sell the service without advising customers. On that basis, it can be argued that there is bad faith and that if anything, the financial compensation offered should be increased over time as a penalty to the airline for intentionally selling the defective product. I continue to be that the media has not picked up on the story as it has the potential to be quite a scandal in respect to how the seat was selected in the first place (what a dud) and how the issue was denied for so long to the detriment of the consumer. IMO, not a good demonstration of ethical behaviour.
skybluesea likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 10:50 pm
Suspended

delete

Old Apr 6, 2019, 11:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Depends on what warranties, performance guarantees, etc, were offered by the manufacturer. Remember that AC spent tens, or more likely hundreds, of millions of dollars on these seats, and it would not be uncommon for such mechanisms to be built in to such a contract. For instance, perhaps the manufacturer guaranteed that only 10% of bladders would need to be replaced within a 10-year period (i.e. 90% should be fine for 10+ years) and agreed to compensate AC for any costs if the results were worse than that. Or there may have been no guarantees so direct, but perhaps AC has threatened to sue because the seats were defective/did not meet required specs, and the settlement included B/E (whatever it is now) footing the bill for AC's customer compensation. There any many different ways in which some or all of the compensation costs could be billed back to the manufacturer, although they could also be subject to a cap.

Certainly the eMCOs are coming out of AC's pocket initially, and I don't know that we've seen any concrete evidence that the manufacturer is paying. But unless you have some info from a credible source within AC, I don't think we can rule it out.
The problem here is more complex than a simple product liability claim, and this has an impact upon the management of the claims and how they will be compensated. You misunderstand the liability process when you assume that if a company sells something and fails to deliver, that they will compensate out of their own pocket. The short answer is no, a company may not have to provide compensation. The company must be legally liable to pay the compensation. On small items, yes, it may be easiest to just toss some money and get rid of the issue, but no public company pays out claims that can aggregate into something large without there being a way to collect the money.
My comment was agreeing with another post to say that AC would compensate regardless of whether they could bill it all to someone else. I'm not saying they're doing it out of their own pocket here, I'm saying they would compensate out of their own pocket regardless. It doesn't matter who gets charged eventually, as your contract is with AC, and they are failing to deliver the product.

My view on the issue is that Air Canada is not to blame for a large part of the delay in fixing the problem. It had to wait on the supplier and a determination whether or not the manufacturer was legally liable for the damage both the alleged defect and the financial costs of the compensation paid to pax. If the manufacturer is insured, then it had to wait on its insurer to accept the claim and to confirm what would be paid. If there was no insurance coverage, then there was an issue of contractual indemnification as per the terms and conditions of the supply agreement.
As public companies, the airline and its supplier(s) had to follow a defined process and that takes times. Complex product liability and defect claims can drag on for years. Air Canada isn't alone on this.
I'm not really sure those delays would make sense.

They seats are defective. AC wants them fixed regardless of who pays for it. The insurance can be handled at the same time as the fix is being prepared/approved/installed, as the fix is going to happen regardless.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 12:02 am
Original Poster

We'll see about that once we write this in. I made sure it was actually added to the log book so there was a record of it.
To follow up on this, a $300 eCoupon was just delivered. There was no official compensation form. Passenger is UA*G, and was traveling on one of the mistake R fares (i.e. cheap).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.