Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Deflategate; new executive pods deflating in-flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 20, 2017, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Argonaut1000
Click here to go to a picture of the White Compensation Form and its stub

View Deflated Seat History Here (Database for submitted occurrences)
Enter New Deflated Seat Occurrence Here (Submit one if you have experienced deflated seat and it will show up in the database above)
----
From post #49 in this thread, here's one potential way to (re)inflate an AC seat:
  • Go the home screen "Your Seat". (find this on the seat side panel; not the main video screen)
    • Hold the top left hand corner "Air Canada" (with AC logo) for 3 seconds. Updated (Apr 9 18): may need to hold for as long as 45 seconds for key pad to appear
      • Dial pad shows up - hit 3-2-1.
        • Press "Reset Lumbar Support"
Note that this method has not met 100% success so YMMV.
A better method is for a crew member to use the reset switch under the seat, on the aisle side.

Compensation offers (green/white sheet completed)
40K AE- Apr 18 (50% back of the J class one way redemption)
2018 Jun - $500 coupon
2018 Sep $1,000 eCoupon or 40K AP (P fare TPAC)
2018 Sep $500 eCoupon (P fare TPAC) (no change on protest- update - 6 months later the $150 was increased to $500 - admitted they had made an error)

Compensation offers (no green/white sheet completed)
100K - May 5 (C$150 eCoupon; was moved to a functioning seat after meal service)
2017 Sept - 8,000 AE miles - reported via complaint web page after realizing it was a faulty seat, not standard discomfort; Asked for return of eUps but they declined.
2017 Nov & 2018 Feb - $500 coupons both times (second time on protest that $500 had been offered the previous time)
2018 Sep. $250 coupon (on a paid J TATL).
2018 Nov - $500 eCoupon (J TATL)

Standard eCoupon compensation offers (no haggling; following a recurring pattern)
~10+ hours: $1000
Long TPAC (TPE-YVR)

~6 to ~10 hours: $500
Short TPAC (NRT-YVR)
TATL
South America: YYZ-GRU

less than ~6 hours: 300
TCON

Have a Service Director (SD) That Is Giving You the Case of the Shrugs? Like the real life version of this ASCII emoji -> Ż\_(ツ)_/Ż ?

No success with the SD and/or crew rectifying your deflated seat and you can't be/aren't accommodated to another J seat? If you asked for a compensation form and the SD says they have no idea what you are talking about, you can use the below picture of the stub portion to help freshen their memory (better than nothing)...

Please note that for the longest time, the "Green Compensation Form" version was used, and there have been recent reports of the "White Compensation Form" replacing the Green version. Reports here have indicated that the two forms are virtually identical except for the colour.
There is now an even newer White Form which explicitly lists "deflated seat" and "deflated seat and fixed", among many other items.

Here is a snapshot of the NEWEST full form (as of August 2019), courtesy of lallied

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31421855-post2093.html
Originally Posted by lallied
Clearly jinxed myself. New form in case hasnt been posted before.

Oops, see it has been. I just didn’t look far enough down ☹️

This is only the stub portion, courtesy of lallied

Originally Posted by lallied

There’s a main section which the SD fills in and detachable section you get to keep. Each has a reference number. It looks like the green one to me except it’s white.

Example

Mattress pads purchased and listed in this thread

Print Wikipost

Deflategate; new executive pods deflating in-flight

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2019, 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by yyznomad
@rkaiulani can take bets from his party. Loser(s) (winner(s)?) gets share of pot. If they all have park benches then everyone loses (breaks even).
Originally Posted by skybluesea

You may wish to consider a complaint to the local state consumer protection bureau regarding false advertising, certainly Air Canada advertises where you live, even if that is on the website, and you may have a case that Air Canada deceived you when they very well knew of the problem.
Originally Posted by jc94

I believe you can request compensation in AE points instead, if that does anything for you? And while this issues is ridiculous it’s not 100% of seats so you may be okay. I don’t think anyone here has 100% although some have 50%. If you’re travelling with a large party however ... I don’t see everyone being lucky.
Originally Posted by canopus27
@rkaiulani, the deflating seats are a real problem that numerous people here have experienced, and AC have acknowledged is a real problem.

That said, it's important to keep in perspective the frequency of the problem. Some here have flown a sequence of four flights and had seats fail on three of them. Personally, I have taken numerous flights in AC international business class seats, and I have never once had a problem.

I'd estimate that I've taken on the order of 25 individual flights in business class since this problem was first reported.

As I've taken pains to point out, this is a real problem - and much to the angst of some here, I now bring an inflatable mattress with me (see the wiki at the top of this thread for details) just in case I do have a problem.

But none of that means that you are for sure going to encounter a problem. To date, I have not.
My wife an I have two short and two long haul flights with these seats. Had I knew the problem existed, I would’ve chose another airlines. Sad to say, I did purchase air mattresses because if it does deflate I will be miserable, as I’m not a very good traveler.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 8:21 pm

You may wish to consider a complaint to the local state consumer protection bureau regarding false advertising, certainly Air Canada advertises where you live, even if that is on the website, and you may have a case that Air Canada deceived you when they very well knew of the problem.
Thank you for the info. If it happens, I will definitely pursue it. Like you mentioned, I also believe the product that is being advertised is not the product AC is producing. After purchasing “Signature Class” seats I was looking forward to my flight. Now I’m hopeful but wary. Which is why I was asking if anyone new the progress of the seat replacement that was supposed to start in April. Thanks again for your response.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 9:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite 2+ Million Miles
delete

Last edited by skybluesea; Dec 30, 2020 at 9:50 pm
Old Apr 3, 2019, 1:05 am

Unfortunately, a complaint can only deal with what has happened. Plenty of posts on this Thread from travelers who have NOT had this experience.

So I take the position, which has been communicated to AC, that I will pursue a remedy for a past event. But I also state that since AC continues to advertise the SS product, and my experience has been only one failure over few hundred thousand miles, I accept the ongoing advertising although I do fly less on AC J for a variety of reasons - this just being one of the possible problems I wish to avoid.. Should my complaint to the Advertising Standards Canada (Council in the US) were to prove successful, my expectation that AC will need to amend its advertising...should that happen then I will further adapt my decisions accordingly.

What may or may not happen with the seat replacement is truly unknown...if you are really worried, write to Air Canada and ask for a refund...you likely will NOT get very far, but if the seat actually fails afterwards, then you can go back and directly accuse AC that they knowingly made a decision to deliver you a product NOT in line with your purchase.

hope this helps...and need not worry...often AC flight go just fine, and does so for many, including me.
I understand that this seems to be a big issue for you, but is it really worth investing all of this time and effort complaining to the Advertising Standards in Canada and expect AC amend it's advertising? After all that is done, what is your end endgame, really? To have them advertise, "Lie-flat beds that sometimes deflate on anecdotal occurrences" ? I mean you've even stated it's only happened once - why do you care so much about this issue?
SuperCargo likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 8:03 am
Suspended

delete

Last edited by skybluesea; Dec 30, 2020 at 9:51 pm
Old Apr 3, 2019, 9:10 am

Programs: AC SE100k
Originally Posted by rkaiulani
Thank you for the info. If it happens, I will definitely pursue it. Like you mentioned, I also believe the product that is being advertised is not the product AC is producing. After purchasing “Signature Class” seats I was looking forward to my flight. Now I’m hopeful but wary. Which is why I was asking if anyone new the progress of the seat replacement that was supposed to start in April. Thanks again for your response.
Don't let the worry ruin your trip. I had 20 flights in 2018 in these 777/787 J seats, and only suffered 1 deflation (and only realized some time later after reading this thread that deflation was the source of the unusually uncomfortable seat). Also, specifically on that one deflation event: was it more uncomfortable? Yes. Did it ruin my flight? No. My butt was a bit sore, but it was still a heck of a lot better than flying in cattle class, where my butt, stomach, back, ears, and ego would all be sore. This was on a 7 or 8 hr TATL flight, though -- maybe I would have been more annoyed (and more sore) if it was a longer TPAC.

At the end of the day you've already booked your tickets and what's done is done. Hopefully you won't suffer a deflation, and the odds aren't as grim as one is led the believe on this site. It's all down to luck, and even if you lose the deflation lottery, it's still better than being further back in the plane. Try not to worry too much about it!
Old Apr 3, 2019, 9:42 am
Suspended

delete
rkaiulani likes this.

Last edited by skybluesea; Dec 30, 2020 at 9:52 pm
Old Apr 4, 2019, 4:30 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by canopus27
Done. With thanks to @24left for the actual research, I've added a list of all unique mattress pads purchased to the end of the wiki.
Thanks for doing the wiki I was busy gallivanting around Australia, didn't really have time for that. And thanks to @24left for compiling all those links, which I'm sure were useful as you did up the wiki

Originally Posted by lcohen999
They also changed the password so I couldn't reset it.
There have been a few posts about this, but 3-2-1 was working as of March 31 on my SYD-YVR, and others seem to have reported that it's still good, so perhaps there was an issue just with the aircraft you were on (or maybe you were suffering from temporary dyscalculia and entered 1-2-3 )?

Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
Folks, we have had so many posts regarding the issue, such that if there is an ongoing issue after all this time, then we are both a part of the problem and the solution. Without rehashing all of the remedial options discussed in posts, it is time to put up or to shut up. My last YVR-TPE had multiple deflated seats. My response is to no longer fly AC on the route with AC advised accordingly. I appreciate that many believe that they have no choice because of their FF status requirements, and if one is still flying AC solely because of that reason, then with all due respect, please reconsider the value proposition and accept that you and only you now control your destiny. You have willingly accepted the potential for a malfunctioning seat, and that acceptance is why there is no corrective action.
I appreciate that you were slightly less insulting about this than a couple of posters were a few weeks ago, but do we really need to revive the tiresome urinating match that already took place on this topic? I'm sure that we're all making adjustments to our travel patterns as a result of this fiasco, but a total boycott is also not necessarily practical or feasible for everyone for a variety of reasons, including availability of alternatives, tickets booked before the deflation issues gained the current level of severity/frequency, corporate contracts, etc.

For instance, I needed to go LON on business a couple of months ago. Options were: (a) fly AC direct to LHR, (b) fly WS PY to LGW, (c) fly KL to AMS then connect AMS-LHR, or (d) doing a connection elsewhere, e.g. YYC-YVR on WS then YVR-LHR on BA. Option (a) risked a deflated seat but otherwise offered best hard product and best schedule, (b) meant definitely being stuck in WS's crappy PY, (c) meant KL's underwhelming A330 2-2-2 J to AMS with the inconvenient 3:30PM departure time from YYC, and obviously adding several hours of extra travel time. (Note that BA has suspended YYC-LHR service due to 787 engine problems). Option (d) had similar drawbacks to (c), e.g. have you flown BA's terrible J hard product? By the way, (c) and (d) were also significantly more expensive and would have required me to go to my boss to get approval to spend the extra money. In the end, choosing AC was the least of the various evils.

I have booked a couple other tickets to avoid AC (including trying WS's new 789 service in the summer), I have written in to AC customer relations, and I have made my displeasure known to concierges and cabin crew. But I'm probably still going to end up on AC from time to time.

So I, for one, would appreciate it if you and others with that condescending attitude would cut out the harping on about how those of us who are flying AC are part of the problem etc.

Originally Posted by nexusCFX
Does anyone expect the reset to resolve the problem for the whole flight? There is a puncture in the inflatable bladder. You can probably keep a punctured balloon inflated on its own with enough air going in, but not if you're sitting on it.
I think canopus27 hit the nail on the head. If it's a tiny pinprick hole, it may take a long time to deflate, whereas if it has become a big tear, it will undoubtedly escape faster. It since the leaks are caused by wear and tear rather than a catastrophic puncture, it stands to reason that holes and leaks would start out small and slow and become worse over time. I believe this is also why we've seen a dramatic increase in the number of deflation issues of late - seats are getting older, more and more use, more and more of them develop leaks.

Originally Posted by rkaiulani
I booked a trip in Business just for the lie flat feature. I somehow found this forum and regret it now. Is there anyway to track if AC is indeed fixing the deflating seat problem? It is now April when AC stated it would begin with the changes. Mahalo for enlightening me on the situation.
Since this was your first post and no one else has said it, welcome to FT

The deflated seats are a craphsoot. If your seat isn't deflated, AC's seats are actually quite good, especially on the 787. Hoping for the best for you
Old Apr 4, 2019, 7:47 am

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
Originally Posted by Adam Smith

There have been a few posts about this, but 3-2-1 was working as of March 31 on my SYD-YVR, and others seem to have reported that it's still good, so perhaps there was an issue just with the aircraft you were on (or maybe you were suffering from temporary dyscalculia and entered 1-2-3 )?
It is very possible my brain was too far in the clouds. There was a weird message about something wrong with the checksum and a button that says I'm feeling lucky. So it is possible the seat was just broken.

How was 'ol 34.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 7:56 am

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by lcohen999
How was 'ol 34.
Wife and I both had upper lumbar deflated from the moment we got on the plane. Rest of the seat was okay. Software resets had little effect. SD was also called in for the switch reset. Wife got the compensation form without asking, I didn't. SD had definitely grown grumpier about it in the few hours between when she got hers and I had him doing the hardware reset. Maybe he thought I was a scammer, who knows. We'll see what customer relations has to say about it.

Sore back at the end of the flight, but at least it wasn't the full seat deflated. On a 14-hour flight, that would have been really miserable.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 8:01 am

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
Wife and I both had upper lumbar deflated from the moment we got on the plane. Rest of the seat was okay. Software resets had little effect. SD was also called in for the switch reset. Wife got the compensation form without asking, I didn't. SD had definitely grown grumpier about it in the few hours between when she got hers and I had him doing the hardware reset. Maybe he thought I was a scammer, who knows. We'll see what customer relations has to say about it.

Sore back at the end of the flight, but at least it wasn't the full seat deflated. On a 14-hour flight, that would have been really miserable.
One thing I have noticed since AC has expanded in Australia is the standard 'crews' that always did 33/34 have moved on. There were probably 10 hard core SYD crews. They were all amazing (except one but he got canned). I can't imagine you would have issues with them. Those days are long over though.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 8:05 am

I had the joy of 19hrs (CPH divert). Choice of two seats one with squab and one with lumbar deflation so could move depending on which bit was most painful. Wasn’t too bad and got a bit of sleep. The only really painful thing was writing in and being told to wait for the other part of form to make it in and that might take in excess of 60 days. So HUCA’d. ( WAWA’d? (Wait and write again?).
Old Apr 4, 2019, 1:10 pm
Suspended

delete

Old Apr 4, 2019, 1:19 pm

$1000 eMCO received for my troubles on 34 for the other day, despite lack of form, plus a contrite e-mail about both the seats and grumpy SD.

How am I going to use all these damned eMCOs? I now have $300 + 2 x $500 + $1000 + presumably something coming for the wife's deflated seat on 34 the other day (the $300 is not seat-related). I don't like to use them for overseas or complicated trips where I might need CC insurance, and I've already got a bunch of travel booked for the next few months...

Did you consider visit to your Dr. ?

Medical report makes this far more serious!
​​​​​​That's a bit hyperbolic. It was a few hours of discomfort, not lasting damage.
ffsim and canadiancow like this.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 3:49 pm
Suspended

delete

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.