Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Deflategate; new executive pods deflating in-flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 20, 2017, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Argonaut1000
Click here to go to a picture of the White Compensation Form and its stub

View Deflated Seat History Here (Database for submitted occurrences)
Enter New Deflated Seat Occurrence Here (Submit one if you have experienced deflated seat and it will show up in the database above)
----
From post #49 in this thread, here's one potential way to (re)inflate an AC seat:
  • Go the home screen "Your Seat". (find this on the seat side panel; not the main video screen)
    • Hold the top left hand corner "Air Canada" (with AC logo) for 3 seconds. Updated (Apr 9 18): may need to hold for as long as 45 seconds for key pad to appear
      • Dial pad shows up - hit 3-2-1.
        • Press "Reset Lumbar Support"
Note that this method has not met 100% success so YMMV.
A better method is for a crew member to use the reset switch under the seat, on the aisle side.

Compensation offers (green/white sheet completed)
40K AE- Apr 18 (50% back of the J class one way redemption)
2018 Jun - $500 coupon
2018 Sep $1,000 eCoupon or 40K AP (P fare TPAC)
2018 Sep $500 eCoupon (P fare TPAC) (no change on protest- update - 6 months later the $150 was increased to $500 - admitted they had made an error)

Compensation offers (no green/white sheet completed)
100K - May 5 (C$150 eCoupon; was moved to a functioning seat after meal service)
2017 Sept - 8,000 AE miles - reported via complaint web page after realizing it was a faulty seat, not standard discomfort; Asked for return of eUps but they declined.
2017 Nov & 2018 Feb - $500 coupons both times (second time on protest that $500 had been offered the previous time)
2018 Sep. $250 coupon (on a paid J TATL).
2018 Nov - $500 eCoupon (J TATL)

Standard eCoupon compensation offers (no haggling; following a recurring pattern)
~10+ hours: $1000
Long TPAC (TPE-YVR)

~6 to ~10 hours: $500
Short TPAC (NRT-YVR)
TATL
South America: YYZ-GRU

less than ~6 hours: 300
TCON

Have a Service Director (SD) That Is Giving You the Case of the Shrugs? Like the real life version of this ASCII emoji -> Ż\_(ツ)_/Ż ?

No success with the SD and/or crew rectifying your deflated seat and you can't be/aren't accommodated to another J seat? If you asked for a compensation form and the SD says they have no idea what you are talking about, you can use the below picture of the stub portion to help freshen their memory (better than nothing)...

Please note that for the longest time, the "Green Compensation Form" version was used, and there have been recent reports of the "White Compensation Form" replacing the Green version. Reports here have indicated that the two forms are virtually identical except for the colour.
There is now an even newer White Form which explicitly lists "deflated seat" and "deflated seat and fixed", among many other items.

Here is a snapshot of the NEWEST full form (as of August 2019), courtesy of lallied

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31421855-post2093.html
Originally Posted by lallied
Clearly jinxed myself. New form in case hasnt been posted before.

Oops, see it has been. I just didn’t look far enough down ☹️

This is only the stub portion, courtesy of lallied

Originally Posted by lallied

There’s a main section which the SD fills in and detachable section you get to keep. Each has a reference number. It looks like the green one to me except it’s white.

Example

Mattress pads purchased and listed in this thread

Print Wikipost

Deflategate; new executive pods deflating in-flight

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2019, 4:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite 2+ Million Miles
delete

Last edited by skybluesea; Dec 24, 2020 at 5:31 pm
Old Mar 26, 2019, 5:30 pm

Programs: AC E75K
In 1A on AC756 SFO-YYZ right now and no deflategate!

Fingers crossed for 5K on AC846 YYZ-MUC in a couple hours.
D582 likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 10:14 pm

Originally Posted by capedreamer
In 1A on AC756 SFO-YYZ right now and no deflategate!

Fingers crossed for 5K on AC846 YYZ-MUC in a couple hours.
Guess two in a row would have been too much to ask.

5K on AC846 on 3/26 (C-FITW) is deflated.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 10:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
FIN 853 seat 1D deflated half way through YYZ-SFO, walking up the UA GS occupant.

SD tried to say AC was still the best, in THIS context

They were out of the real compensation forms, but it was definitely logged.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 10:56 pm

Programs: AC SEMM
Originally Posted by kthpence
I'm flying on 2 AC flights next week in J (first time in AC J, looking forward to it), but now I'm quite nervous after reading these reports ... how common is this issue on the 787s and 77Ws? I.e. is it normal for at least one seat to deflate on every flight, or is it much more rare than that?
I've experienced seat deflations on 2 of the last 4 flights over the pacific since February. Not sure about other passengers on the same flight - I question how many of them aren't even aware their seats had deflated. It is a serious problem and another unnecessary worry while flying !
24left likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 11:33 pm
Suspended

delete

Last edited by skybluesea; Dec 24, 2020 at 5:30 pm
Old Mar 27, 2019, 12:10 am

Programs: AC 50K
Spoke with an SD friend of mine today who said that she is always able to fix the seat by using the under seat toggle switch to turn the seat off. Specifically she said, “you need to leave it off for a minimum of 10 minutes to allow it to reset fully”. Haven’t tried this yet, but she said it works every time for her. Perhaps someone who files wide body J more than I do could give this a shot.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 12:39 am

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
neither the power reset nor the rondelle reset are capable of repairing a physical puncture in the air mattress.

punctures/defects in the seams are the ONLY reason these seats are deflating. they do not deflate on their own, nor is there a "rock hard bench" setting 50 levels below the minimum setting on the 'softer, firmer' scale.

a "fix" might seem to work for 10min, an hour, or a couple hours. but the pump shuts back off. I assume it shuts down because of an internal maximum duty cycle/protection circuit to prevent the motor from damage/overheating.
skybluesea, ffsim, wrp96 and 6 others like this.

Last edited by expert7700; Mar 27, 2019 at 12:56 am
Old Mar 27, 2019, 2:20 am
Suspended

delete

Last edited by skybluesea; Dec 24, 2020 at 5:30 pm
Old Mar 27, 2019, 12:14 pm

Programs: AC*50K MM
Another update on my end. Went into the Concierge office on my last trip and explained the issue. They did not seem too impressed how the overall situation was being handled. They were unaware of the seat issues as well. I also replied back to the standard $500 voucher email indicating I was not happy and asked for a call back and at least an acknowledgement of what I sent them and not the same BS boilerplate. These two actions netted two things. From the concierge complaint side I got a voicemail from a VIP/Global Concierge rep to discuss. I have yet however to speak with him live. I also got a reply back from the Customer Relations Executive Center with an increase to the compensation $XXXX, but I still feel it's borderline a slap in the face given the situation, the fact I had no lavatory for 8 hours and how much I paid for that J ticket. Regardless here is the letter I received:

Thank you for your email, which was passed along to us in Customer Relations. I am very sorry you have experienced multiple broken seats and washrooms while traveling in the business class cabin, the latest being on our flight from XXXX

Unfortunately, this has been a recurring issue from the manufacture, even when new seats are installed. The cushions leaking on the Super Diamond seats is happening on the B787 and B777 aircraft. A solution for this issue was expected from the cushion manufacturer in December 2018, but due to some certification issues (Boeing and Government), the availability of the solution has been delayed to April 2019.

The available options we have right now are to replace seats, which we do at every opportunity and to have the cabin crew reset the seat. We know a comfortable seat makes a journey more pleasant, and I regret we continue to disappoint on this matter.

As a gesture of goodwill, I have provided an eCoupon below, which I hope is helpful on a future flight.

I would also like to take this opportunity to thank you for your loyalty to Air Canada, as your business has been very important to us.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 1:10 pm
Suspended

delete

Last edited by skybluesea; Dec 31, 2020 at 10:58 am
Old Mar 27, 2019, 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by jmottle
...the fact I had no lavatory for 8 hours and how much I paid for that J ticket.
Apologies if I missed this (I went back through your last few posts in this thread but didn't see anything), but there were no working lavatories on an 8 hour flight? How's that possible?
Old Mar 27, 2019, 1:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by marchelli
Spoke with an SD friend of mine today who said that she is always able to fix the seat by using the under seat toggle switch to turn the seat off. Specifically she said, “you need to leave it off for a minimum of 10 minutes to allow it to reset fully”. Haven’t tried this yet, but she said it works every time for her. Perhaps someone who files wide body J more than I do could give this a shot.
@marchelli
Respectfully, no.
Perhaps the comments should be included in this thread.

Weird or just plain incorrect things FAs/SDs have said while on board

Originally Posted by expert7700
neither the power reset nor the rondelle reset are capable of repairing a physical puncture in the air mattress.

punctures/defects in the seams are the ONLY reason these seats are deflating. they do not deflate on their own, nor is there a "rock hard bench" setting 50 levels below the minimum setting on the 'softer, firmer' scale.

And when explaining the puncture in the bladder to SDs and FAs on many recent flights, it seems cabin crew have received different information as to the issue with the seats. What seems to be evident is that many have no idea what the cause of the deflating is, so I make sure to educate them.

On those occasions where a SD has spoken with the maintenance guys, they may be told the technical details. Otherwise, to many, it's just a deflated balloon. All that matters to them at that point is does the J pax need to be moved to another seat and is another seat available.

@expert7700 I have saved a copy of your post and the next time a SD says "I was not aware", I will encourage them to become aware.

Another update on my end. Went into the Concierge office on my last trip and explained the issue. They did not seem too impressed how the overall situation was being handled. They were unaware of the seat issues as well. I also replied back to the standard $500 voucher email indicating I was not happy and asked for a call back and at least an acknowledgement of what I sent them and not the same BS boilerplate. These two actions netted two things. From the concierge complaint side I got a voicemail from a VIP/Global Concierge rep to discuss. I have yet however to speak with him live. I also got a reply back from the Customer Relations Executive Center with an increase to the compensation $XXXX, but I still feel it's borderline a slap in the face given the situation, the fact I had no lavatory for 8 hours and how much I paid for that J ticket. Regardless here is the letter I received:

Thank you for your email, which was passed along to us in Customer Relations. I am very sorry you have experienced multiple broken seats and washrooms while traveling in the business class cabin, the latest being on our flight from XXXX

Unfortunately, this has been a recurring issue from the manufacture, even when new seats are installed. The cushions leaking on the Super Diamond seats is happening on the B787 and B777 aircraft. A solution for this issue was expected from the cushion manufacturer in December 2018, but due to some certification issues (Boeing and Government), the availability of the solution has been delayed to April 2019.

The available options we have right now are to replace seats, which we do at every opportunity and to have the cabin crew reset the seat. We know a comfortable seat makes a journey more pleasant, and I regret we continue to disappoint on this matter.

As a gesture of goodwill, I have provided an eCoupon below, which I hope is helpful on a future flight.

I would also like to take this opportunity to thank you for your loyalty to Air Canada, as your business has been very important to us
@jmottle
I am glad to hear that the hassle of chasing after management and the people at the Exec Centre worked out for you this time. Perhaps my advice was helpful.

And along with my own email (as posted upthread) and yours, I will also use them as references - not just for future stay-flats but for educating cabin crew.

We all know airlines need to differentiate their premium cabins and some airlines do it with better or different offerings for meal service and amenities, and unique custom-designed seats (e.g. SQ, QR, UA and possibly AC).

I and others have posted about the seats we've flown on other airlines, with actual lie flats, and bonus - they do not deflate........because they do not inflate.

I have no idea who at AC and Boeing thought inflating mechanism in an aircraft seat was a good idea, nor do I know how it was tested. (although some time in the past 2 years, I posted upthread the video of the engineer discussing the seats).

What we here all know is the seat is flawed and it fails to perform as promised.

And indeed @skybluesea reminded us in his post upthread, AC does charge a premium of $300+ for these seats on transcon wide body flights. Perhaps that is how the $300 "compensation" for transcon stay-flat was determined.

That math does not work when you're in pancake-mode for 15 hours to HKG.

In the end, I wonder if AC has learned anything from this issue as it relates to dealing with the poor customer experience as well as training their crews accurately on this issue. It would all make an interesting business school case study.

AC is lucky that only a small percent of its J pax are aware of the problem, and more so all those who have flown across the Pacific in a stay-flat but didn't know the seats are not supposed to be like that. What AC may not yet know is whether any of those who have cut-back their AC J 787/777 flying, or who fly other airlines instead or more often on the longer routes, is having any effect on revenue.

Now that AC is buried under the mess that is Boeing's MAX aircraft, the deflated seats just aren't that important now.
skybluesea likes this.

Last edited by 24left; Mar 27, 2019 at 2:08 pm
Old Mar 27, 2019, 2:35 pm

Programs: AC*50K MM
Originally Posted by capedreamer
Apologies if I missed this (I went back through your last few posts in this thread but didn't see anything), but there were no working lavatories on an 8 hour flight? How's that possible?
Despite the SD asking AC not to fly the plane, they did so with half the bathrooms in both J and Y inoperable. Due to the reduced functionality and turbulence that made it impossible to stand in line to wait for it to become available, I was never able to use it during the flight. Everyone in J was complaining and the SD had to personally apologize to everyone in J as we were waiting to deplane.
capedreamer likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Despite the SD asking AC not to fly the plane, they did so with half the bathrooms in both J and Y inoperable. Due to the reduced functionality and turbulence that made it impossible to stand in line to wait for it to become available, I was never able to use it during the flight. Everyone in J was complaining and the SD had to personally apologize to everyone in J as we were waiting to deplane.
Well at least AC made it like an outdoor park setting...

park bench, check
random poop on the ground, check!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.