Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Deflategate; new executive pods deflating in-flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 20, 2017, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Argonaut1000
Click here to go to a picture of the White Compensation Form and its stub

View Deflated Seat History Here (Database for submitted occurrences)
Enter New Deflated Seat Occurrence Here (Submit one if you have experienced deflated seat and it will show up in the database above)
----
From post #49 in this thread, here's one potential way to (re)inflate an AC seat:
  • Go the home screen "Your Seat". (find this on the seat side panel; not the main video screen)
    • Hold the top left hand corner "Air Canada" (with AC logo) for 3 seconds. Updated (Apr 9 18): may need to hold for as long as 45 seconds for key pad to appear
      • Dial pad shows up - hit 3-2-1.
        • Press "Reset Lumbar Support"
Note that this method has not met 100% success so YMMV.
A better method is for a crew member to use the reset switch under the seat, on the aisle side.

Compensation offers (green/white sheet completed)
40K AE- Apr 18 (50% back of the J class one way redemption)
2018 Jun - $500 coupon
2018 Sep $1,000 eCoupon or 40K AP (P fare TPAC)
2018 Sep $500 eCoupon (P fare TPAC) (no change on protest- update - 6 months later the $150 was increased to $500 - admitted they had made an error)

Compensation offers (no green/white sheet completed)
100K - May 5 (C$150 eCoupon; was moved to a functioning seat after meal service)
2017 Sept - 8,000 AE miles - reported via complaint web page after realizing it was a faulty seat, not standard discomfort; Asked for return of eUps but they declined.
2017 Nov & 2018 Feb - $500 coupons both times (second time on protest that $500 had been offered the previous time)
2018 Sep. $250 coupon (on a paid J TATL).
2018 Nov - $500 eCoupon (J TATL)

Standard eCoupon compensation offers (no haggling; following a recurring pattern)
~10+ hours: $1000
Long TPAC (TPE-YVR)

~6 to ~10 hours: $500
Short TPAC (NRT-YVR)
TATL
South America: YYZ-GRU

less than ~6 hours: 300
TCON

Have a Service Director (SD) That Is Giving You the Case of the Shrugs? Like the real life version of this ASCII emoji -> ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ?

No success with the SD and/or crew rectifying your deflated seat and you can't be/aren't accommodated to another J seat? If you asked for a compensation form and the SD says they have no idea what you are talking about, you can use the below picture of the stub portion to help freshen their memory (better than nothing)...

Please note that for the longest time, the "Green Compensation Form" version was used, and there have been recent reports of the "White Compensation Form" replacing the Green version. Reports here have indicated that the two forms are virtually identical except for the colour.
There is now an even newer White Form which explicitly lists "deflated seat" and "deflated seat and fixed", among many other items.

Here is a snapshot of the NEWEST full form (as of August 2019), courtesy of lallied

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31421855-post2093.html
Originally Posted by lallied
Clearly jinxed myself. New form in case hasnt been posted before.

Oops, see it has been. I just didn’t look far enough down ☹️

This is only the stub portion, courtesy of lallied

Originally Posted by lallied

There’s a main section which the SD fills in and detachable section you get to keep. Each has a reference number. It looks like the green one to me except it’s white.

Example

Mattress pads purchased and listed in this thread

Print Wikipost

Deflategate; new executive pods deflating in-flight

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2019, 7:18 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Putting any kind of mattress down is not an option for me because the tray table is already a design flaw that doesnt allow for sleeping on the side.. Any more padding would just make it even worse.
(A problem that neither American, Air China or SAS have)
skybluesea likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 8:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by jasdou

I have so far refrained from commenting in this thread because I have not been affected by this since 2017 because the bulk of my travel is on narrowbody domestic and TB routes. As such, I do not feel like it is my place to do anything to help out or educate anyone on deflating seats. And yes I would advise potential passengers against the risk of deflation if I was asked about it. And no I have not pocketed any compensation money from OPM-financed travel but thank you for suggesting that I did despite you knowing nothing about my travel patterns.

You have been very vocal on this issue and I commend you on taking action on behalf of your clients, yourself and fellow J travellers. However I think we are pretty much shouting into the wind in this thread. Yes, AC lurkers will read what is going on here but the current results demonstrate that this thread has not (yet) led to a resolution. Therefore we can keep venting in this thread because it is free therapy but I would not hold much hope that anything will come of it.

Good of luck in your quest. I will continue to cheer for all of you from the cheap seats.
@jasdou
I also cheer @skybluesea for his efforts and choosing an approach that works for him.

And to your point

"Yes, AC lurkers will read what is going on here but the current results demonstrate that this thread has not (yet) led to a resolution. Therefore we can keep venting in this thread because it is free therapy but I would not hold much hope that anything will come of it."

You are correct about the venting and free therapy, something I posted a while back upthread, along with the fact that some people missed the purpose of the thread and perhaps it has grown passed what @canadiancow intended.

Many at AC are aware of the problem, not just those who lurk here. I don't have an expectation that all 30,000 employees know about it and of those who know, I am sure some don't care as it doesn't affect them. There are cabin crews who claim they've never seen it or had it on their flight and never heard about the problem. They may not fly enough to have had a stay-flat on a flight, but no way can they claim lack of awareness. I'll bet every single 777, 788, and 789 fin has had at least one stay-flat. I'll bet some of those were reported to other SDs and then noted in the logbooks. I know that SDs have not only seen them, but in many cases whereas there used to be one stay-flat every now and then, followed by one seat per flight, there are SDs who have seen multiples per flight and it wasn't only on my flights where 3 seats were splat.

And let's not forget our friends in AC maintenance who board flights prior to departure to fix these seats. Do you think they only keep this info to themselves when often, cabin crew, other pax and other employees are onboard watching the spectacle?

AC directors know about these seats.
AC managers know about these seats.
SDs know about these seats - of not from their inflight experiences, then certainly from this thread and from other sources.
Some FAs know about these seats.
Concierges know about these seats.
I could go on.

And skybluesea is not the only one who has put pen to paper (as it were) and written to AC.
Not everyone is posting publicly on this forum and even those who do, not all are posting what they may be doing on their own.
skybluesea, wrp96, jasdou and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 1:18 am
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite 2+ Million Miles
delete

Last edited by skybluesea; Dec 24, 2020 at 5:32 pm
Old Mar 24, 2019, 9:14 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by skybluesea
your exactly right everyone at AC that matter know of the continued falsehoods!

First, it's you're exactly right not your

.......your exactly right everyone at AC that matter know of the continued falsehoods!.....
Second, do not use the word "falsehood" in reference to what I wrote.
I know exactly which words I used in my post. I was very careful and clear. I would not accuse AC of continued falsehoods and falsehoods do not come into play here.

As some of us have previously posted, we are disappointed or annoyed that AC chose not to communicate directly with its best customers, the process it plans to take to repair or replace the seats. Further, for those cabin crew who work on the aircraft with these seats, I find it hard to believe that they are unaware of the problem, even if they have not witnessed it on a flight. If crew insist they have no knowledge, that is their right to say so even if I feel otherwise.

.......Yet AC depends on exactly the lack of cohesive and consistent pressure amongst travelers to continue their Fake Advertising. My posting here to the point of being purposefully provocative (intolerable to some), is to encourage sharing of ideas and even cause criticism of ways forward. As I said criticize away, I just hope some nugget of gold can be panned from all the banter that can be used against AC - although if FTers need help, seriously please go to a mental health professional - this is NOT a place to seek proper solace and support.

Based on what I have learned here, have previously altered my approach towards AC, including now time to add new shaming tool against AC with only thing they know - impact to bottom-line. Immediately others piled on as inconsistent- nothing of the sort, but if it hurts to be told you are helping AC by NOT rejecting tiny compensation offer or do the really weird mattress thing, all it takes is just a few people to change their ways and aim harder at AC - can make all the difference.

So of course FTers are engaging AC directly without sharing here - I know that. I just make plea let us know what your doing as might be more effective than course of actions that others are taking - including me!

but I’m well aware, some of the commentary here is fake, so I do NOT fool myself that all FTers are actual frequent fliers, and instead possibly engaged to sabotage my AC criticism. As FlyerTalk requires NO truth-statement to support posts, then naive on my part to believe every post has transparent purpose.

The challenge, at least for me, is is how to go forward in determining what criticism is valid, and those posts intended to disassemble ✌��

As for the rest of your post, I will say this and with all due respect:

IMO, your comments about Fake advertising are not relevant to our discussion, even if they are relevant to the written arguments to AC that you and others may have.

Do not confuse online forums and discussion of this topic and others on AC FT, with those who may need to seek mental health counselling. We've used the words suggesting FT is often a nice place for some venting which can be therapeutic, and you know very well this is not in the medical realm. So don't even go there.

Finally, you should also know that in business and in life, every person employs their own strategies to move forward on issues, to resolve issues and to make change or force change. Some people are more successful than others. Some strategies are more successful than others.

I think those who chose to buy their inflatable mattress pads and go #AirCanadaCamping did a great job in solving a problem many of us are having. The posts are informative, interesting, helpful and also entertaining. Others may employ a different approach.

But I would really suggest that you proceed on the path you have chosen with all the information you have gathered. If you'd like to share your results, be they positive or negative, that would be great.

In the meantime, please take a moment and go back and re-read my post above. Because I think you did not interpret it in the way I intended. And I only speak for myself.
visitor, canolakid, ffsim and 5 others like this.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 10:45 am

Programs: AC SEMM
@skybluesea
Two score years ago, I chanced upon a thin book, little more than a pamphlet, entitled “How to Complain”. Since then, I have tried to apply the principles I learned therein. Focus on the problem, define an acceptable outcome, identify who has the authority to rectify the issue, do not take it out on the person you are dealing with, don’t let it eat you, use humour where you can, and be proportionate in your efforts, and so forth.

As the original proponent of #AirCanadaCamping , including being the first user of a sleeping pad, I find I have (a) reduced my anxiety of flying UHL flights (b) a protocol by which I deal with on-board crew, post flight compensation offers (c) a strategy for spreading my ticket purchases to maximize my benefits and satisfy my constraints/priorities.

As @24left so ably noted, we all have a set of private rationales for deciding our personal priorities and responses this issue deserves. You are clearly exercised by it. You are obviously thus entitled, and if your efforts benefit those of us less frustrated, we thank you. But please don’t disparage my decision.

Last edited by visitor; Mar 24, 2019 at 11:12 am
Old Mar 24, 2019, 12:08 pm
Suspended

delete

Old Mar 24, 2019, 12:43 pm
Suspended

........ that may result in your mattress becoming an emergency exit impairment, does NOT put lives of AC travelers at risk......
Well, then at that point, it will time for me to provide TC and AC with the list of:
backpacks
purses
kids' toys
clothes
neck pillows in multiples
shoes
laptop cases
pillows from home belonging to teenage girls
dogs on leashes because people who need emotional support can't stay home and spare the rest of us
and the bonus: crew bags and cases which on a recent flight, were in the aisle near the mid galley and a couple of people tripped over them while going to the galley or lavs.

Like at least a few others, I see where you are going with the concept of #AirCanadaCamping gear being a potential issue during an evacuation.

I'm not convinced but I am more afraid of all the other crap I listed above, which usually populated Y and PE.
visitor, bawm, Wings100 and 7 others like this.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 1:01 pm

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by 24left

Like at least a few others, I see where you are going with the concept of #AirCanadaCamping gear being a potential issue during an evacuation.

The photo upthread on putting the sleeping pad under the AC-provided mattress pad is the fix for me. Makes the experience more #AC Glamping less #AC camping TBH.
YVRtoYYZ, D582 and wrp96 like this.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 1:04 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by canolakid
The photo upthread on putting the sleeping pad under the AC-provided mattress pad is the fix for me. Makes the experience more #AC Glamping less #AC camping TBH.
^
D582 and wrp96 like this.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 1:23 pm
Suspended

delete

Old Mar 24, 2019, 1:35 pm
Suspended

@24Left

Thanks though reminder of what distinguishes all the items you list that is different than a rigid 2M potential barrier to the exit.

Be assured I look forward to being proven wrong - the alternative could be deadly for fellow AC travelers...
The inflatables are less rigid than almost everything on my list posted above.
visitor, canolakid, D582 and 1 others like this.

Last edited by tcook052; Mar 24, 2019 at 7:53 pm Reason: edit quote, off topic
Old Mar 24, 2019, 1:51 pm

Programs: AC SEMM

@visitor
I will continue to politely disparage your decision
It is easy to politely disagree, I have yet to see someone politely disparage

Originally Posted by 24left

I'm not convinced but I am more afraid of all the other crap I listed above, which usually populated Y and PE.
Originally Posted by canolakid
Procedure:
1) wait until cruising altitude to inflate sleeping pad
2) restrain sleeping pad (weighing say 200g) using Air Canada issued mattress cover. Jam end into footwell. The most violent turbulence will not dislodge.
3) deflate and stow before descent

Above makes a sleeping pad as safe as anything else carried and used by a passenger.

I believe above is a reasonable interpretation and application of the rules and regulations. Whether that happens is a totally different story. I have seen blind application of the most restrictive interpretation, beyond all logic and judgement, to the absolute other end of the spectrum...

@24Left
Thanks though reminder of what distinguishes all the items you list that is different than a rigid 2M potential barrier to the exit.
The bending stiffness of an inflatable sleeping pad comes nowhere near "rigid"
canolakid, ffsim, D582 and 6 others like this.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 4:07 pm

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS

@visitor
I will continue to politely disparage your decision until I hear directly from AC or later Transport Canada that your’ actions, that may result in your mattress becoming an emergency exit impairment, does NOT put lives of AC travelers at risk...show some written authoritative evidence you are NOT doing so, and I will NOT ONLY withdraw my concern, but happy to make $500 donation to your favorite Canadian registered charity.
You must be a delight at dinner parties.

Large passengers who don’t fit in their seats and can barely make it through the increasingly shrinking aisles and other people with limited mobility pose a much greater threat to the safe evacuation of an aircraft than a mattress pad ever would.

And these mattress pads are in no way rigid. That would defeat the entire purpose of them in the first place. If people want rigid, the deflated seats deliver that experience and this thread wouldn’t exist at all.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 4:11 pm
Suspended

delete

Last edited by skybluesea; Dec 24, 2020 at 5:31 pm
Old Mar 24, 2019, 4:39 pm

@visitor
So for those on this Thread who are so certain TC will approve this procedure, based on some yet to be authorized max. inflation pressure to avoid rigid form, then you should have NO problem co-signing letter to TC asking for investigation- if your’ right, you have done all a favour by establishing what is formally considered safe on AC.

PM and will send draft letter to TC when done - what do you have to lose?

Well, if your wrong you may save the life of folks around you by ditching mattress and demanding instead AC deliver fully what you pay for.

my inbox is currently empty - look forward to your message requesting to join asking TC to do its duty.
Isn’t it time we all moved on from this back and forth nonsense ? It’s starting to sound rude if not downright threatening / abusive.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.