Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Deflategate; new executive pods deflating in-flight

Old Nov 20, 2017, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Argonaut1000
Click here to go to a picture of the White Compensation Form and its stub

View Deflated Seat History Here (Database for submitted occurrences)
Enter New Deflated Seat Occurrence Here (Submit one if you have experienced deflated seat and it will show up in the database above)
----
From post #49 in this thread, here's one potential way to (re)inflate an AC seat:
  • Go the home screen "Your Seat". (find this on the seat side panel; not the main video screen)
    • Hold the top left hand corner "Air Canada" (with AC logo) for 3 seconds. Updated (Apr 9 18): may need to hold for as long as 45 seconds for key pad to appear
      • Dial pad shows up - hit 3-2-1.
        • Press "Reset Lumbar Support"
Note that this method has not met 100% success so YMMV.
A better method is for a crew member to use the reset switch under the seat, on the aisle side.

Compensation offers (green/white sheet completed)
40K AE- Apr 18 (50% back of the J class one way redemption)
2018 Jun - $500 coupon
2018 Sep $1,000 eCoupon or 40K AP (P fare TPAC)
2018 Sep $500 eCoupon (P fare TPAC) (no change on protest- update - 6 months later the $150 was increased to $500 - admitted they had made an error)

Compensation offers (no green/white sheet completed)
100K - May 5 (C$150 eCoupon; was moved to a functioning seat after meal service)
2017 Sept - 8,000 AE miles - reported via complaint web page after realizing it was a faulty seat, not standard discomfort; Asked for return of eUps but they declined.
2017 Nov & 2018 Feb - $500 coupons both times (second time on protest that $500 had been offered the previous time)
2018 Sep. $250 coupon (on a paid J TATL).
2018 Nov - $500 eCoupon (J TATL)

Standard eCoupon compensation offers (no haggling; following a recurring pattern)
~10+ hours: $1000
Long TPAC (TPE-YVR)

~6 to ~10 hours: $500
Short TPAC (NRT-YVR)
TATL
South America: YYZ-GRU

less than ~6 hours: 300
TCON

Have a Service Director (SD) That Is Giving You the Case of the Shrugs? Like the real life version of this ASCII emoji -> Ż\_(ツ)_/Ż ?

No success with the SD and/or crew rectifying your deflated seat and you can't be/aren't accommodated to another J seat? If you asked for a compensation form and the SD says they have no idea what you are talking about, you can use the below picture of the stub portion to help freshen their memory (better than nothing)...

Please note that for the longest time, the "Green Compensation Form" version was used, and there have been recent reports of the "White Compensation Form" replacing the Green version. Reports here have indicated that the two forms are virtually identical except for the colour.
There is now an even newer White Form which explicitly lists "deflated seat" and "deflated seat and fixed", among many other items.

Here is a snapshot of the NEWEST full form (as of August 2019), courtesy of lallied

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31421855-post2093.html
Originally Posted by lallied
Clearly jinxed myself. New form in case hasnt been posted before.

Oops, see it has been. I just didn’t look far enough down ☹️

This is only the stub portion, courtesy of lallied

Originally Posted by lallied

There’s a main section which the SD fills in and detachable section you get to keep. Each has a reference number. It looks like the green one to me except it’s white.

Example

Mattress pads purchased and listed in this thread

Print Wikipost

Deflategate; new executive pods deflating in-flight

Old Mar 19, 2019, 8:12 am

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
I'm a little hurt that @24left didn't include my mattress in the master list (kidding, 24L ) ...

I have not had to use this one yet, but it has plenty of good reviews on amazon, and it's certainly small & light to bring with me:
Amazon Amazon
24left likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 8:33 am

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Flying AC37 to MEL tonight. I had meant to order my air mattresses on Monday night after the YYC mini-Do, but something urgent came up and I forgot. I was able to send the wife out today to pick something up, but the only thing we could get was the Klymit ones that were much more expensive than one of the other recommended options.

But this thread is so big, it was super hard to find info on which ones people had purchased, even though I knew it was in here - it's spread over a bunch of pages, by different posters, etc...

I throw it out for consideration of the group whether it would be appropriate to add a section to this thread's wiki with details of what people have used, the Amazon links, etc, or whether we might want a whole new thread dedicated to that.

Normally I'd just do the wiki myself, but there's undoubtedly someone here who has a better handle on where all the posts are and so on...
Done. With thanks to @24left for the actual research, I've added a list of all unique mattress pads purchased to the end of the wiki.
Bohemian1 and 24left like this.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 10:50 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by canopus27
I'm a little hurt that @24left didn't include my mattress in the master list (kidding, 24L ) ...

I have not had to use this one yet, but it has plenty of good reviews on amazon, and it's certainly small & light to bring with me:
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07..._title_o07_s00

@canopus27
Awwww, how could I have missed your post??????
So sorry.

In related news, my seat on fin 846 this morning was fluffy.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 11:11 am

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer
I don't feel that was necessary. Several people, myself included, sought feedback on the ethics of willingly swapping a defective seat with another customer (not any crew or non-rev passenger). It's an entirely reasonable question- posed and laid to rest weeks ago - that was illuminating in the reactions it provoked.
I was merely observing that the issue of guilt / remorse / whatever about having someone bounced from their seat due a stayflat was discussed at length and could be followed in earlier posts.

Maybe it wasn't a philosophical discussion, but I couldn't think of a better word to describe the healthy debate. No offense was intended to those who self-identify as philosophers. I'll take philosophers over trolls any day.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 12:22 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Datapoint: $300cad voucher received today for repeatedly deflating March 1 LAX-YYZ seat.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 9:51 am

Programs: AC 100K, Alaska MVP Gold 75K, Marriott/SPG (Bonvoy?) Gold Elite/HHonors Gold
Ok, confession time, who here has shares in Costco.....

Old Mar 21, 2019, 9:55 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by doubleflier
So this is how AC intends to increase profits.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 10:03 am
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite 2+ Million Miles
delete

Last edited by skybluesea; Dec 24, 2020 at 5:34 pm
Old Mar 21, 2019, 10:24 am

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by doubleflier

This sounds like a business opportunity. Someone with an entrepreneurial spirit should set up shop in the duty-free section of the airport to sell those along with the usual assortment of neck pillows.
24left likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 12:07 pm

There's probably like zero chance of me trying to request compensation on this almost two years later, right?

I flew YUL -> FRA back in August 2017 in J class and my seat kept inflating and deflating in flight and I thought was just normal for it to happen. Doubt I could get anything back by this point :/
flyquiet likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 12:42 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by elenea86
There's probably like zero chance of me trying to request compensation on this almost two years later, right?

I flew YUL -> FRA back in August 2017 in J class and my seat kept inflating and deflating in flight and I thought was just normal for it to happen. Doubt I could get anything back by this point :/
Highly, highly unlikely as Customer Care now requires an Onboard Compensation (OBC) form to be submitted.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 1:34 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by jasdou
This sounds like a business opportunity. Someone with an entrepreneurial spirit should set up shop in the duty-free section of the airport to sell those along with the usual assortment of neck pillows.
Or on board... As part of the duty free offerings from AC or like with the $3 (or whatever they cost these days) earphones.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 3:08 pm

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
@elenea86 I did not know the uncomfortable seat was not AC's intention until I later read it here, so obviously no white form. I got 8,000 AE miles. They declined to consider any other form of compensation.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 4:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Fin 857, delivered in MAY 2018

Seat 4A became a nice park bench with a view part way though the 10 hour flight.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 4:45 pm

Programs: AC MM+
I also was offered half the usual compensation for my last three claims. Thant's 10 claims for 2019, 7 got me $XXX and the last three, $XX..... looks like they are cutting by. I simply replied 'unacceptable' to their AI generated email with the proposed compensation and havent heard back.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.