Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Deflategate; new executive pods deflating in-flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 20, 2017, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Argonaut1000
Click here to go to a picture of the White Compensation Form and its stub

View Deflated Seat History Here (Database for submitted occurrences)
Enter New Deflated Seat Occurrence Here (Submit one if you have experienced deflated seat and it will show up in the database above)
----
From post #49 in this thread, here's one potential way to (re)inflate an AC seat:
  • Go the home screen "Your Seat". (find this on the seat side panel; not the main video screen)
    • Hold the top left hand corner "Air Canada" (with AC logo) for 3 seconds. Updated (Apr 9 18): may need to hold for as long as 45 seconds for key pad to appear
      • Dial pad shows up - hit 3-2-1.
        • Press "Reset Lumbar Support"
Note that this method has not met 100% success so YMMV.
A better method is for a crew member to use the reset switch under the seat, on the aisle side.

Compensation offers (green/white sheet completed)
40K AE- Apr 18 (50% back of the J class one way redemption)
2018 Jun - $500 coupon
2018 Sep $1,000 eCoupon or 40K AP (P fare TPAC)
2018 Sep $500 eCoupon (P fare TPAC) (no change on protest- update - 6 months later the $150 was increased to $500 - admitted they had made an error)

Compensation offers (no green/white sheet completed)
100K - May 5 (C$150 eCoupon; was moved to a functioning seat after meal service)
2017 Sept - 8,000 AE miles - reported via complaint web page after realizing it was a faulty seat, not standard discomfort; Asked for return of eUps but they declined.
2017 Nov & 2018 Feb - $500 coupons both times (second time on protest that $500 had been offered the previous time)
2018 Sep. $250 coupon (on a paid J TATL).
2018 Nov - $500 eCoupon (J TATL)

Standard eCoupon compensation offers (no haggling; following a recurring pattern)
~10+ hours: $1000
Long TPAC (TPE-YVR)

~6 to ~10 hours: $500
Short TPAC (NRT-YVR)
TATL
South America: YYZ-GRU

less than ~6 hours: 300
TCON

Have a Service Director (SD) That Is Giving You the Case of the Shrugs? Like the real life version of this ASCII emoji -> Ż\_(ツ)_/Ż ?

No success with the SD and/or crew rectifying your deflated seat and you can't be/aren't accommodated to another J seat? If you asked for a compensation form and the SD says they have no idea what you are talking about, you can use the below picture of the stub portion to help freshen their memory (better than nothing)...

Please note that for the longest time, the "Green Compensation Form" version was used, and there have been recent reports of the "White Compensation Form" replacing the Green version. Reports here have indicated that the two forms are virtually identical except for the colour.
There is now an even newer White Form which explicitly lists "deflated seat" and "deflated seat and fixed", among many other items.

Here is a snapshot of the NEWEST full form (as of August 2019), courtesy of lallied

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31421855-post2093.html
Originally Posted by lallied
Clearly jinxed myself. New form in case hasnt been posted before.

Oops, see it has been. I just didn’t look far enough down ☹️

This is only the stub portion, courtesy of lallied

There’s a main section which the SD fills in and detachable section you get to keep. Each has a reference number. It looks like the green one to me except it’s white.

Example

Mattress pads purchased and listed in this thread

Print Wikipost

Deflategate; new executive pods deflating in-flight

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2019, 10:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite 2+ Million Miles
delete

Last edited by skybluesea; Dec 24, 2020 at 11:24 am
Old Mar 7, 2019, 10:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by skybluesea

@visitor
I can think of something far more expensive than the replacement mattress cost. How about we send a massive number of written complaints to AC with copy to the Competition Bureau. Well, first offense conviction for misleading advertising is fine upwards of $10 million.

btw... I doubt public interest test would be satisfied, but certainly test AC knowingly and repeatedly undertook falsely advertised exists, and why is this important, because if both tests satisfied, this leads to the section of the Act that is criminal in nature.

https://www.competitionbureau.gc.ca/...eng/00513.html
Have you sent your letter to the Competition Bureau yet?
Old Mar 7, 2019, 11:00 pm
Suspended

delete
DNAwizard likes this.

Last edited by skybluesea; Dec 24, 2020 at 11:24 am
Old Mar 8, 2019, 1:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Wrote in to AC and got the following response...
We’re really sorry your seat wasn’t functioning properly on your flight to Munich, Mar.03 and on your flight to Toronto, Feb.25.

We know a comfortable seat makes a journey more pleasant, and this should have been the case for you. Unfortunately, the seat supplier has had an issue with deflating cushions recently. We have worked very hard with this supplier on this problem and the fix which was supposed to happen late last year, which has now been delayed until April of 2019, due to some aircraft certification issues (everything onboard has to be approved by the airline manufacturer and government agencies).

Normally the inflight crew will provide a green form for the compensation, could you please attach for our records.

Too bad nobody told either of my crews about the green form.

Will be interesting to see how long it takes to actually implement the fix.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 1:24 am
Suspended

delete

Last edited by skybluesea; Dec 24, 2020 at 11:23 am
Old Mar 8, 2019, 2:13 am

Originally Posted by The Lev
Wrote in to AC and got the following response...
We’re really sorry your seat wasn’t functioning properly on your flight to Munich, Mar.03 and on your flight to Toronto, Feb.25.

We know a comfortable seat makes a journey more pleasant, and this should have been the case for you. Unfortunately, the seat supplier has had an issue with deflating cushions recently. We have worked very hard with this supplier on this problem and the fix which was supposed to happen late last year, which has now been delayed until April of 2019, due to some aircraft certification issues (everything onboard has to be approved by the airline manufacturer and government agencies).

Normally the inflight crew will provide a green form for the compensation, could you please attach for our records.

Too bad nobody told either of my crews about the green form.

Will be interesting to see how long it takes to actually implement the fix.
Nor indeed that it’s now a white form 😊
canadiancow, monkai and Bohemian1 like this.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 4:24 am

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, Bonvoy Gold, HHonors Diamond, VIA Premier, NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by j2simpso
Interesting update on the situation. Given they see this is a problem with their fleet and it will be some time before the updated seats receive certification and then some more time before they are retrofitted to all aircraft, why don't they just up their wallets up a bed and get a proper mattress for the J cabin. In that way they can can kill two birds with one stone: the constant complaints of deflated seats whilst from a marketing standpoint they could argue that they have the best aircraft bed in North America. Just a thought!

Safe Travels,

James
This is something I have suggested to AC already. To keep 3-4 memory foam mattress pads, like those NZ uses. It would make a big difference in terms of comfort for the pax and seat management for the cabin crew/SD. Once rolled-up, those mattress pads don't take much space and they are very comfortable. And approved for flying, at least on NZ.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 6:33 am
Suspended

delete
DNAwizard likes this.

Last edited by skybluesea; Dec 24, 2020 at 11:23 am
Old Mar 8, 2019, 6:47 am

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
Originally Posted by DNAwizard
This is something I have suggested to AC already. To keep 3-4 memory foam mattress pads, like those NZ uses. It would make a big difference in terms of comfort for the pax and seat management for the cabin crew/SD. Once rolled-up, those mattress pads don't take much space and they are very comfortable. And approved for flying, at least on NZ.
I suggested that way upthread and someone pointed out that even those would likely need to be certified if provided by the airline. Hence the option for each traveller to pack a bedroll has emerged.
DNAwizard and smallmj like this.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 7:11 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
I made it very clear I was happy to get off the plane and was not deliberately trying to delay the flight. It was their choice to fix it. I stood in my coat near door until all clear.

We pushed 10m late. One maintenance guy got his done well before planned departure. The other maintenance guy took much longer for some reason.
Perhaps the other guy was a trainee; and AC are training new staff up on how to install existing ... Or the new bladders ahead of April.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 7:12 am

Originally Posted by jc94
[/left]
Perhaps the other guy was a trainee; and AC are training new staff up on how to install existing ... Or the new bladders ahead of April.
I got the feeling there was a little tension. Some say the back are harder and others say it’s in how good you are ��
Old Mar 8, 2019, 3:54 pm

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, Bonvoy Gold, HHonors Diamond, VIA Premier, NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by skybluesea

and then AC would be publicly admitting their advertising is completely false. If AC rolls this out in front of me, will have great photos to add to complaint.

This is game of how far AC can go without shutting down known faulty seats on a permanent basis, and then explain to Board why J revenues are collapsing from lack of seat availability. And you think it is hard now to get a J upgrade, wait till AC bites the bullet and remove seats from the inventory.

btw... if you bring a mattress on board is this not an admission that despite the advertising, your willing to buy J ticket anyway. Yes, AC blatantly mis-representing product here, but if you knowingly buy a defective product, interesting legal question emerges to where does AC culpability stop and your enabling begins. 🤪🤪🤪
I agree that it would be an admission of at least "potentially" faulty seats. That's why it will not happen.
And personally, I refuse to bring my own mattress. That will not happen either. If/when I buy a J seat, I expect it to be fully functional as advertised and per specifications.
skybluesea, jasdou and 24left like this.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 4:26 pm
Suspended

delete
DNAwizard likes this.

Last edited by skybluesea; Dec 24, 2020 at 11:22 am
Old Mar 8, 2019, 5:33 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by DNAwizard
If/when I buy a J seat, I expect it to be fully functional as advertised and per specifications.
Sadly, what gets lost occasionally in this epically long thread is exactly that - a bunch of us just expect to get what we've paid for. Nothing more, nothing less.

When that future AC 'J Day' comes for you, I hope you are not disappointed with the product.
DNAwizard and Adam Smith like this.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 10:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
How long has it been taking for the onboard compensation forms lately?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.