Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Deflategate; new executive pods deflating in-flight

Old Nov 20, 2017, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Argonaut1000
Click here to go to a picture of the White Compensation Form and its stub

View Deflated Seat History Here (Database for submitted occurrences)
Enter New Deflated Seat Occurrence Here (Submit one if you have experienced deflated seat and it will show up in the database above)
----
From post #49 in this thread, here's one potential way to (re)inflate an AC seat:
  • Go the home screen "Your Seat". (find this on the seat side panel; not the main video screen)
    • Hold the top left hand corner "Air Canada" (with AC logo) for 3 seconds. Updated (Apr 9 18): may need to hold for as long as 45 seconds for key pad to appear
      • Dial pad shows up - hit 3-2-1.
        • Press "Reset Lumbar Support"
Note that this method has not met 100% success so YMMV.
A better method is for a crew member to use the reset switch under the seat, on the aisle side.

Compensation offers (green/white sheet completed)
40K AE- Apr 18 (50% back of the J class one way redemption)
2018 Jun - $500 coupon
2018 Sep $1,000 eCoupon or 40K AP (P fare TPAC)
2018 Sep $500 eCoupon (P fare TPAC) (no change on protest- update - 6 months later the $150 was increased to $500 - admitted they had made an error)

Compensation offers (no green/white sheet completed)
100K - May 5 (C$150 eCoupon; was moved to a functioning seat after meal service)
2017 Sept - 8,000 AE miles - reported via complaint web page after realizing it was a faulty seat, not standard discomfort; Asked for return of eUps but they declined.
2017 Nov & 2018 Feb - $500 coupons both times (second time on protest that $500 had been offered the previous time)
2018 Sep. $250 coupon (on a paid J TATL).
2018 Nov - $500 eCoupon (J TATL)

Standard eCoupon compensation offers (no haggling; following a recurring pattern)
~10+ hours: $1000
Long TPAC (TPE-YVR)

~6 to ~10 hours: $500
Short TPAC (NRT-YVR)
TATL
South America: YYZ-GRU

less than ~6 hours: 300
TCON

Have a Service Director (SD) That Is Giving You the Case of the Shrugs? Like the real life version of this ASCII emoji -> Ż\_(ツ)_/Ż ?

No success with the SD and/or crew rectifying your deflated seat and you can't be/aren't accommodated to another J seat? If you asked for a compensation form and the SD says they have no idea what you are talking about, you can use the below picture of the stub portion to help freshen their memory (better than nothing)...

Please note that for the longest time, the "Green Compensation Form" version was used, and there have been recent reports of the "White Compensation Form" replacing the Green version. Reports here have indicated that the two forms are virtually identical except for the colour.
There is now an even newer White Form which explicitly lists "deflated seat" and "deflated seat and fixed", among many other items.

Here is a snapshot of the NEWEST full form (as of August 2019), courtesy of lallied

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31421855-post2093.html
Originally Posted by lallied
Clearly jinxed myself. New form in case hasnt been posted before.

Oops, see it has been. I just didn’t look far enough down ☹️

This is only the stub portion, courtesy of lallied

There’s a main section which the SD fills in and detachable section you get to keep. Each has a reference number. It looks like the green one to me except it’s white.

Example

Mattress pads purchased and listed in this thread

Print Wikipost

Deflategate; new executive pods deflating in-flight

Old Mar 4, 2019, 12:01 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by skybluesea
And I'm not the poster that originally raised the issue of a deflated seat meeting TC requirements...
I didn't say you were; I used "contributed" as meaning having offered your view on the matter to this discussion. IIRC, you were quick to seize on the importance of the seat's failure from a safety standpoint after a fellow poster initially raised it. I'm genuinely pleased that it has become a talking point in more recent posts.

But of course blame me for what AC is doing...
A strange conclusion to draw from my post, especially since I did not talk about "what AC is doing," nor did I assign or infer blame

Originally Posted by canadiancow
But waking up after sleeping on a deflated seat for a few hours will result in significant pain.
Interestingly, the only time this has happened to me was on an LX flight last fall. There were two other FT members aboard and I mentioned to them how I hadn't realized the seat was deflated until I woke up after a few hours' sleep in significant pain. I'm now careful to identify any potential seat shortcoming before trying to get some shuteye.

Last edited by ffsim; Mar 4, 2019 at 12:10 pm Reason: vocabulary
Old Mar 4, 2019, 2:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite 2+ Million Miles
delete
DNAwizard likes this.

Last edited by skybluesea; Dec 23, 2020 at 11:27 pm
Old Mar 5, 2019, 6:58 am

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Originally Posted by DNAwizard
I personally have had enough. I have decided to limit my flights on AC. At this time last year, I had requalified for SE. This year, I don't even have the AQD to qualify for P25. I have changed several of my flights (revenue and rewards as well) to avoid AC as much as possible.
Given that you had qualified for SE by early March last year, it seems clear that AC stands to lose some significant revenue from your decision. I applaud you, Bohemian1 and any others who have taken your premium backsides to the seats of other carriers. Your profile states you're based in Quebec City, so it, er, deflates the arguments of some who claim that it's impractical or onerous to avoid AC when flying from a non-hub airport. Even using AC/Jazz to deliver you to the international hub where that competitor awaits deprives AC of the creamy intl J fares they depend upon.

I suspect the ratio of people who object to the park bench lottery to those who have done something about it remains low. Until that ratio improves, we can expect no change in the glacial pace of providing a permanent solution.
skybluesea likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 7:41 am
Suspended

delete

Last edited by skybluesea; Dec 23, 2020 at 11:26 pm
Old Mar 5, 2019, 7:51 am

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
And what happens if TC draws a line under this...
I don't believe, and I'm basing this purely upon my own biases, that Transport Canada will make any ruling or directive based upon the improperly inflated seats or bringing mattress pads onboard. My bet is that the seats are already certified as airworthy regardless of the state of their inflation. AC may impose a ban on, or discourage the use of camping pads in their cabins.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 8:35 am
Suspended

delete
mamau likes this.

Old Mar 5, 2019, 8:43 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
.....and in the end not about compensation but getting what I paid for. And if it helps move the ball along to get this fixed sooner than later, an added bonus.
^
Old Mar 5, 2019, 10:15 am
Suspended

delete

Old Mar 6, 2019, 5:38 pm

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, Bonvoy Gold, HHonors Diamond, VIA Premier, NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer
Given that you had qualified for SE by early March last year, it seems clear that AC stands to lose some significant revenue from your decision. I applaud you, Bohemian1 and any others who have taken your premium backsides to the seats of other carriers. Your profile states you're based in Quebec City, so it, er, deflates the arguments of some who claim that it's impractical or onerous to avoid AC when flying from a non-hub airport. Even using AC/Jazz to deliver you to the international hub where that competitor awaits deprives AC of the creamy intl J fares they depend upon.

I suspect the ratio of people who object to the park bench lottery to those who have done something about it remains low. Until that ratio improves, we can expect no change in the glacial pace of providing a permanent solution.
Being based in YQB makes it difficult to avoid AC indeed. But at least I can choose a different carrier when I get to YUL or YYZ. I have also postpone some travels. I have not given up on AC; I would appreciate a better handling of the situation by AC: provide some sort of official acknowledgment that the issue exists, standardization of onboard procedure when it happens and there is no alternative or no fix (provide the form proactively), and official communication about a timeline for a permanent fix.

So yes, AC is losing revenue from me this year but also from my better half (barely any AQD as well this year compared to making it to SE even before me last year). With that being said, it is certainly not much in the grand scheme of things for AC though.
lallied, jasdou and 24left like this.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 6:19 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Marriott Titanium
Guess what?!? AC34 C-FNND FIN 705 Seat 11A is also deflated. Same bird I flew down on 4 days ago where 11D was deflated.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 7:04 pm

Originally Posted by YVRtoYYZ
Guess what?!? AC34 C-FNND FIN 705 Seat 11A is also deflated. Same bird I flew down on 4 days ago where 11D was deflated.
just boarded 42. Seat deflated. Have indicated they will need to offload me if they can’t replace bladder. Not going down well 😄
canolakid, 24left and DNAwizard like this.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 7:20 pm

just boarded 42. Seat deflated. Have indicated they will need to offload me if they can’t replace bladder. Not going down well 😄
Any idea if AC would rebook them on another flight operated by UA/OAL? That's one way to get AC's attention, have them give all the money you paid them to a competing airline!

-James
Old Mar 6, 2019, 7:33 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Have you been Dao’ed or are you in a nice new bladderd seat?

I don’t see AC moving you to another airline. PY or Y yes, though perhaps not if leaving the EU.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by jc94

Have you been Dao’ed or are you in a nice new bladderd seat?

I don’t see AC moving you to another airline. PY or Y yes, though perhaps not if leaving the EU.
Stood my ground and they replaced the bladder. Also 2K down and replaced as well Delayed us by 10min but I do not care. Flights are full and some poor soul would have a flat seat on way home via CPH for 19 hours or whatever it is.
mamau, expert7700, bawm and 12 others like this.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 7:43 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Stood my ground and they replaced the bladder. Also 2K down and replaced as well Delayed us by 10min but I do not care. Flights are full and some poor soul would have a flat seat on way home via CPH for 19 hours or whatever it is.
Just liking this post isn’t enough. Excellent work, that’s a long flight on a morgue slab or in AC PY.
24left likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.