Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Deflategate; new executive pods deflating in-flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 20, 2017, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Argonaut1000
Click here to go to a picture of the White Compensation Form and its stub

View Deflated Seat History Here (Database for submitted occurrences)
Enter New Deflated Seat Occurrence Here (Submit one if you have experienced deflated seat and it will show up in the database above)
----
From post #49 in this thread, here's one potential way to (re)inflate an AC seat:
  • Go the home screen "Your Seat". (find this on the seat side panel; not the main video screen)
    • Hold the top left hand corner "Air Canada" (with AC logo) for 3 seconds. Updated (Apr 9 18): may need to hold for as long as 45 seconds for key pad to appear
      • Dial pad shows up - hit 3-2-1.
        • Press "Reset Lumbar Support"
Note that this method has not met 100% success so YMMV.
A better method is for a crew member to use the reset switch under the seat, on the aisle side.

Compensation offers (green/white sheet completed)
40K AE- Apr 18 (50% back of the J class one way redemption)
2018 Jun - $500 coupon
2018 Sep $1,000 eCoupon or 40K AP (P fare TPAC)
2018 Sep $500 eCoupon (P fare TPAC) (no change on protest- update - 6 months later the $150 was increased to $500 - admitted they had made an error)

Compensation offers (no green/white sheet completed)
100K - May 5 (C$150 eCoupon; was moved to a functioning seat after meal service)
2017 Sept - 8,000 AE miles - reported via complaint web page after realizing it was a faulty seat, not standard discomfort; Asked for return of eUps but they declined.
2017 Nov & 2018 Feb - $500 coupons both times (second time on protest that $500 had been offered the previous time)
2018 Sep. $250 coupon (on a paid J TATL).
2018 Nov - $500 eCoupon (J TATL)

Standard eCoupon compensation offers (no haggling; following a recurring pattern)
~10+ hours: $1000
Long TPAC (TPE-YVR)

~6 to ~10 hours: $500
Short TPAC (NRT-YVR)
TATL
South America: YYZ-GRU

less than ~6 hours: 300
TCON

Have a Service Director (SD) That Is Giving You the Case of the Shrugs? Like the real life version of this ASCII emoji -> Ż\_(ツ)_/Ż ?

No success with the SD and/or crew rectifying your deflated seat and you can't be/aren't accommodated to another J seat? If you asked for a compensation form and the SD says they have no idea what you are talking about, you can use the below picture of the stub portion to help freshen their memory (better than nothing)...

Please note that for the longest time, the "Green Compensation Form" version was used, and there have been recent reports of the "White Compensation Form" replacing the Green version. Reports here have indicated that the two forms are virtually identical except for the colour.
There is now an even newer White Form which explicitly lists "deflated seat" and "deflated seat and fixed", among many other items.

Here is a snapshot of the NEWEST full form (as of August 2019), courtesy of lallied

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31421855-post2093.html
Originally Posted by lallied
Clearly jinxed myself. New form in case hasnt been posted before.

Oops, see it has been. I just didn’t look far enough down ☹️

This is only the stub portion, courtesy of lallied

Originally Posted by lallied

There’s a main section which the SD fills in and detachable section you get to keep. Each has a reference number. It looks like the green one to me except it’s white.

Example

Mattress pads purchased and listed in this thread

Print Wikipost

Deflategate; new executive pods deflating in-flight

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2019, 8:34 am

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
I'm happy to report that on my two most recent TPACs (YVR-HKG and TPE-YVR) that I had two fully inflated seats, and two SDs who were proactively telling pax to let them know if the seat feels deflated or uncomfortable.
skybluesea and DNAwizard like this.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 8:38 am

Programs: AC SE100k
Am I missing something? I thought that the seat manufacturer has come up with a fix and it's going through TC certification. As much as I'd love to blame AC for this, isn't it realistically out of their hands? What more can we ask for, aside from more proactive compensation when we do have to suffer a deflated seat? It's not like they can install the fixes without TC approval, and once it's approved, it's going to take months to install, even if AC did everything in its power. Let's face it, it's not realistic that AC -- or any airline for that matter -- is going to ground half its fleet so that the fixes can be installed in a fortnight! Based on what others have posted, I don't agree that AC is currently ignoring the problem (although one could argue that perhaps they were before), and I don't really understand what you guys think you're going to accomplish. AC's communication to us might suck, and it sounds like some SD's need some education on compensation policy, but I just don't see what else AC can do. If I'm missing some part of the equation, please do let me know...
Old Mar 4, 2019, 9:03 am
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite 2+ Million Miles
delete
DNAwizard likes this.

Last edited by skybluesea; Dec 23, 2020 at 11:28 pm
Old Mar 4, 2019, 9:11 am

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by SuperCargo
Am I missing something?
Apparently you are - the entire point of this thread. But some dissection of your post is in order.

I thought that the seat manufacturer has come up with a fix and it's going through TC certification. As much as I'd love to blame AC for this, isn't it realistically out of their hands? What more can we ask for, aside from more proactive compensation when we do have to suffer a deflated seat?
Exactly - the operative word here being proactive, which they are not.

It's not like they can install the fixes without TC approval, and once it's approved, it's going to take months to install, even if AC did everything in its power. Let's face it, it's not realistic that AC -- or any airline for that matter -- is going to ground half its fleet so that the fixes can be installed in a fortnight!
Agreed. But Air Canada has over 1,800 of these seats flying and has known about this problem for at least five years. That doesn't sound like "everything in its power" to me.

Based on what others have posted, I don't agree that AC is currently ignoring the problem (although one could argue that perhaps they were before), and I don't really understand what you guys think you're going to accomplish.
You correctly identified what we want to accomplish in your closing remarks:

AC's communication to us might suck,
Exactly, - we want them to fix that. That is totally within their power.

and it sounds like some SD's need some education on compensation policy,
"Some" education? How about any education? They are front line customer support and they are failing in that task. Whether it's up to them or their employer is letting them down, the impact of their customers is the same. Again, totally within AC's power.

but I just don't see what else AC can do.
Well right now they are doing nothing as far as we know.

If I'm missing some part of the equation, please do let me know...
""We have a problem, so let's not acknowledge it and treat our best customers as whiners." is pretty much the "equation" right now. So If AC is doing nothing, should we just sit here (on concrete) and live with it? Stiff upper lip and all that?

I take back my opening statement - I think you clearly grasp the point of this thread.

But I guess some of us just aren't willing to be passive observers (and recipients) of someone overselling and under-delivering a product we actually use and care about.

Last edited by Bohemian1; Mar 4, 2019 at 9:18 am Reason: Spelling
Old Mar 4, 2019, 9:21 am
Suspended

delete
24left and DNAwizard like this.

Last edited by skybluesea; Dec 23, 2020 at 11:27 pm
Old Mar 4, 2019, 9:28 am

Originally Posted by skybluesea
@SuperCargo

have you read my draft text on potential safety matters that may form a complaint to Transport Canada - the Minister of Transport has the authority to require immediate remediation of any failures that fall within the scope of the Canadian Aviation Regulations, including grounding any and all aircraft that fail to have a valid Operating Certificate, and/or withdraw licences from flight crew that operate an aircraft in contravention of the CARS. So if my safety complaints are upheld, especially the one where aisles might be blocked by improperly secured air mattresses, do you still believe AC should continue to fly in an unsafe condition?
Don't get me wrong, I fly enough that safety is always my prime consideration, but I don't see a bunch of air mattresses in the cabin as a safety concern. Given that the FAA & TC consider those old super-heavy pull-out emergency doors on the 737 & A320 (which end up in the cabin after opening) as safe, I somehow doubt that they will be that fussed about a bunch of very light inflatable mattresses.
And my complaint to Competition Bureau and Advertising Standards Canada not related to the seat failure itself - but deceptive and misleading advertising that has negative consequences for both consumers and competitors in the marketplace.
Given that AC is doing everything that a lay-person would consider reasonable to remedy the situation (albeit somewhat belatedly), I question how upset those organizations are going to be about this.
And the compensation is NOT proactive, posts somewhere here that SD even denies problem even exists.
I agree with you that AC needs some lessons on customer service -- and this is not new at AC -- but this isn't a legal issue. If AC makes a business decision that it wants to treats its customers as garbage, then it's up to us (and possibly our employers) whether we want to give them our business.
AC decides whether to dispatch aircraft with known faulty seats - please elaborate therefore on the concept that "isn't it realistically out of their hands"?
I just question what more that they can practically do. I disagree with you that the planes and/or seats are unsafe, and no reasonable for-profit enterprise is going to ground their fleet to sort this sort of problem out. What discrete ACTIONS would you like them to take that are reasonable and won't get the entire management team fired by upset shareholders? They've sought out a technical fix from the manufacturer, they're either in the process of seeking TC certification for the fix or have obtained it, and they may or may not be rolling the fix out to the fleet. What more do you want?
Old Mar 4, 2019, 9:38 am
Suspended

delete

Old Mar 4, 2019, 9:40 am

You're threatening to try to have the seats decertified by TC because of lack of communication from AC? I can only speak for myself, buy I would be far more annoyed with you forcing me to fly PY or Y on my very regular TATL due to the seats being decertified than me losing the deflation lottery and having to fight AC for some compensation.

@SuperCargo

have you read my draft text on potential safety matters that may form a complaint to Transport Canada - the Minister of Transport has the authority to require immediate remediation of any failures that fall within the scope of the Canadian Aviation Regulations, including grounding any and all aircraft that fail to have a valid Operating Certificate, and/or withdraw licences from flight crew that operate an aircraft in contravention of the CARS. So if my safety complaints are upheld, especially the one where aisles might be blocked by improperly secured air mattresses, do you still believe AC should continue to fly in an unsafe condition?

And my complaint to Competition Bureau and Advertising Standards Canada not related to the seat failure itself - but deceptive and misleading advertising that has negative consequences for both consumers and competitors in the marketplace.

And the compensation is NOT proactive, posts somewhere here that SD even denies problem even exists.

AC decides whether to dispatch aircraft with known faulty seats - please elaborate therefore on the concept that "isn't it realistically out of their hands"?
1. my complaint will be to TC to investigate whether a safety issue exists or not. Are you a Transport Canada safety inspector that can categorically state that the air mattresses in the cabin pose NO risk. if not, how about we let professionals come to reasonable conclusions about such matters, that includes whether the deflated seat is crashworthy itself.
2.how do you know that AC is doing everything that a lay-person could consider reasonable? If you can share evidence or inside knowledge of AC programs and practices, we are all ears.

I must say until this happened to me paying full J, then was not something on my radar - now that it is will demand AC make right, and token $1,000 offer not even close.

but if your willing to accept park bench for J prices, fill your boots.
I don't know whether AC is doing everything reasonable. I'm going by some posts on this forum by very established members who are telling us that a fix has been identified and is undergoing TC certification. Based on their prior activity on this forum, I'm happy to believe them. I care too, as all of my AC miles last year were in J TATL & TPAC, and all but 2 segments in paid J (those 2 other segments were eUpgraded).

Last edited by tcook052; Mar 4, 2019 at 10:07 am Reason: merge separate posts
Old Mar 4, 2019, 9:58 am
Suspended

delete

Old Mar 4, 2019, 9:59 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
You're threatening to try to have the seats decertified by TC because of lack of communication from AC?
I think the only valid hypothetical the poster has contributed to this discussion is whether or not a deflated seat meets TC's safety requirements for an airline seat. I personally wouldn't want to have my back broken by the park bench I'm sitting on in the case of an otherwise survivable accident (er, hard landing).

I can only speak for myself, buy I would be far more annoyed with you forcing me to fly PY or Y on my very regular TATL due to the seats being decertified than me losing the deflation lottery and having to fight AC for some compensation.
Same here, especially considering I now know what the fix it, thanks in no small part to the numerous contributions from others in this thread.
canolakid likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
I just question what more that they can practically do. I disagree with you that the planes and/or seats are unsafe, and no reasonable for-profit enterprise is going to ground their fleet to sort this sort of problem out. What discrete ACTIONS would you like them to take that are reasonable and won't get the entire management team fired by upset shareholders? They've sought out a technical fix from the manufacturer, they're either in the process of seeking TC certification for the fix or have obtained it, and they may or may not be rolling the fix out to the fleet. What more do you want?
What more could they have been doing? How about proactively checking the seats on a very regular basis and immediately replacing the bladders or pneumatics or whatever is the cause of the problem instead of continuing to fly the defective seat for weeks, months or years..
Old Mar 4, 2019, 10:29 am
Suspended

delete

Old Mar 4, 2019, 10:31 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by The Lev
What more could they have been doing? How about proactively checking the seats on a very regular basis and immediately replacing the bladders or pneumatics or whatever is the cause of the problem instead of continuing to fly the defective seat for weeks, months or years..
This I feel is key. Yes there’s a problem, yes AC is still waiting upon some sort of sign off and maybe that’s outside of their control. What isn’t outside their control is the fact that they can replace these bladders with working ones when identified. And if they don’t have those bladders at all stations, well as I’ve said before that’s also within their control. It’s not like we’re dealing with a company that doesn’t have the ability to transport items around the world.

Because as long as we believe whomever reported it, maintaince did it on at least one occasion replace the bladder and it took five minutes. And I assume also fixed the issue, for some period of time.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Simple: marks seats known to be affected as INOP and not assign them. Let them go empty. But surely you can guess why they don't do that, right?
Old Mar 4, 2019, 11:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Bohemian1
But Air Canada has over 1,800 of these seats flying and has known about this problem for at least five years. That doesn't sound like "everything in its power" to me.
I don't agree with that statement. As the person who created this thread, I can tell you my goals were:

1. Give FTers a place to share their experiences, and collect more data
2. Give AC one place to look to see the problem

Unless you have evidence they've known this was widespread for 5+ years, I have a hard time accepting that. A couple of reports of seat issues suggests "something broke here, let's fix it", not "the seats are designed poorly". 5 years ago was before AC received 801 with the first iteration of this seat. So let's talk about 4 years ago. There just didn't seem to be enough reported issues for them to realize there was an issue.

However:

Given that AC is doing everything that a lay-person would consider reasonable to remedy the situation (albeit somewhat belatedly), I question how upset those organizations are going to be about this.
Originally Posted by The Lev
What more could they have been doing? How about proactively checking the seats on a very regular basis and immediately replacing the bladders or pneumatics or whatever is the cause of the problem instead of continuing to fly the defective seat for weeks, months or years.
This. It's simply false advertising, and I'm quite pleased skybluesea has the wherewithal to pursue the matter.

If no one ever reported a deflated seat on boarding, and it only happened in the air, one could argue AC is doing everything they can (testing and fixing while on the ground) until the new design is certified and installed. Heck, even if there were no issues found while boarding, only at AC hubs, that argument could still be made.

But I've had this issue out of YYZ. They're not even remotely doing what they need to be doing to make the claim they're doing everything reasonable.

If you want to take it a step further, they could be blocking seats on aircraft that have not have the fix installed. On my last TPE-YVR, our party of 5 had 3 deflated seats, and there were at most 2 empties in J. But another pax was given one of those.

Either of those options would work. But if I can board to find a deflated seat and have nowhere to move, it’s not “everything that a lay-person would consider reasonable”.

Originally Posted by canadiancow
Heck I'd take a PY seat over a deflated J seat.
Seems like my opinion on this matter changed (I don't even remember saying that, though I obviously did). If you can identify the deflation quickly, it's fairly easy to rectify (an extra blanket or pillow) enough such that it's still a much better experience than PY. But waking up after sleeping on a deflated seat for a few hours will result in significant pain.
wrp96, lallied, 24left and 1 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.