Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Deflategate; new executive pods deflating in-flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 20, 2017, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Argonaut1000
Click here to go to a picture of the White Compensation Form and its stub

View Deflated Seat History Here (Database for submitted occurrences)
Enter New Deflated Seat Occurrence Here (Submit one if you have experienced deflated seat and it will show up in the database above)
----
From post #49 in this thread, here's one potential way to (re)inflate an AC seat:
  • Go the home screen "Your Seat". (find this on the seat side panel; not the main video screen)
    • Hold the top left hand corner "Air Canada" (with AC logo) for 3 seconds. Updated (Apr 9 18): may need to hold for as long as 45 seconds for key pad to appear
      • Dial pad shows up - hit 3-2-1.
        • Press "Reset Lumbar Support"
Note that this method has not met 100% success so YMMV.
A better method is for a crew member to use the reset switch under the seat, on the aisle side.

Compensation offers (green/white sheet completed)
40K AE- Apr 18 (50% back of the J class one way redemption)
2018 Jun - $500 coupon
2018 Sep $1,000 eCoupon or 40K AP (P fare TPAC)
2018 Sep $500 eCoupon (P fare TPAC) (no change on protest- update - 6 months later the $150 was increased to $500 - admitted they had made an error)

Compensation offers (no green/white sheet completed)
100K - May 5 (C$150 eCoupon; was moved to a functioning seat after meal service)
2017 Sept - 8,000 AE miles - reported via complaint web page after realizing it was a faulty seat, not standard discomfort; Asked for return of eUps but they declined.
2017 Nov & 2018 Feb - $500 coupons both times (second time on protest that $500 had been offered the previous time)
2018 Sep. $250 coupon (on a paid J TATL).
2018 Nov - $500 eCoupon (J TATL)

Standard eCoupon compensation offers (no haggling; following a recurring pattern)
~10+ hours: $1000
Long TPAC (TPE-YVR)

~6 to ~10 hours: $500
Short TPAC (NRT-YVR)
TATL
South America: YYZ-GRU

less than ~6 hours: 300
TCON

Have a Service Director (SD) That Is Giving You the Case of the Shrugs? Like the real life version of this ASCII emoji -> Ż\_(ツ)_/Ż ?

No success with the SD and/or crew rectifying your deflated seat and you can't be/aren't accommodated to another J seat? If you asked for a compensation form and the SD says they have no idea what you are talking about, you can use the below picture of the stub portion to help freshen their memory (better than nothing)...

Please note that for the longest time, the "Green Compensation Form" version was used, and there have been recent reports of the "White Compensation Form" replacing the Green version. Reports here have indicated that the two forms are virtually identical except for the colour.
There is now an even newer White Form which explicitly lists "deflated seat" and "deflated seat and fixed", among many other items.

Here is a snapshot of the NEWEST full form (as of August 2019), courtesy of lallied

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31421855-post2093.html
Originally Posted by lallied
Clearly jinxed myself. New form in case hasnt been posted before.

Oops, see it has been. I just didn’t look far enough down ☹️

This is only the stub portion, courtesy of lallied

Originally Posted by lallied

There’s a main section which the SD fills in and detachable section you get to keep. Each has a reference number. It looks like the green one to me except it’s white.

Example

Mattress pads purchased and listed in this thread

Print Wikipost

Deflategate; new executive pods deflating in-flight

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2019, 3:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite 2+ Million Miles
delete

Last edited by skybluesea; Dec 23, 2020 at 11:29 pm
Old Mar 3, 2019, 3:56 pm

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Originally Posted by j2simpso
Again, that might make sense for a short haul flight but if you're doing a long haul or red-eye sitting in Y or PY may not simply be appropriate and as far as I know AC is the only carrier flying to Asia ,Oceania and Hawaii in Canada.

However, I do agree with that we as a team need to start thinking outside the box on how to get AC's attention to address this sometime this decade and not something in say 2025. Those are interesting points you raise. I'm not so sure about crew rest since obviously if you are crew on the flight you wouldn't be sleeping in a J seat even if it is vacant it's unprofessional and besides which they have their own dedicated sleeping quarters...
Why think outside the box when a perfectly workable solution exists within it? It’s simple: nothing will gain Air Canada’s attention faster than paying their competitors to fly in their business cabin instead of AC’s. I’ve heard all about how it’s too hard or too inconvenient or the schedule isn’t optimal or the price isn’t as cheap, or the miles won’t accrue All valid concerns for each person to rank and then decide where to compromise while considering their odds of winning a deflated seat on each journey. But to keep paying for a substandard product and expecting the vendor to alter their practices seems a rather inept strategy.

I’ve heard ad nauseum the problems of “flying other airlines doesn’t work for me” and I bet there are reasonable solutions to a very high percentage of those itieneraties. Unless you are bound by corporate contract, easy solutions generally exist.

I’m curious about “AC is the only carrier flying to Asia, Oceania and Hawaii” - is that an implication you can’t fly there from Canada unless using AC?

skybluesea likes this.

Last edited by tcook052; Mar 3, 2019 at 5:43 pm
Old Mar 3, 2019, 5:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Please note that a number of posts have been deleted or edited to try and drag this thread back on topic which contrary to popular belief is not in-flight crew rest areas so let's please discuss that and other topics elsewhere and focus on the thread topic.

tcook052
Ac forum moderator

Last edited by tcook052; Mar 3, 2019 at 5:52 pm
Old Mar 3, 2019, 8:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by The Lev
Out of curiosity, if a non-rev gets booted due to a deflated seat from a revenue passenger, do they get a compensation form and the same comp?
I highly doubt it. The compensation a non-rev on a "cheap" pass would get is nowhere near what someone on a $2k-$10k ticket.

Originally Posted by skybluesea
Are you suggesting an extraordinarily expensive park bench in J is somehow better than Y or PY?
100% yes.
canolakid likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 8:20 pm
Suspended

delete

Last edited by skybluesea; Dec 23, 2020 at 11:29 pm
Old Mar 3, 2019, 9:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Everything I have to say is listed in this thread.

My only deflation events have been on mistake J fares and cheap upgraded (withx expiring credits) PY fares, so the compensation offered to me has always satisfied me.

Had one of my more expensive trips had an issue, I might have other thoughts.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 9:16 pm

Programs: AC SEMM
feedback welcome, and preferably the constructive kind...

Plus, Air Canada may be in contravention with regards to CARS, Sec. 705.42 (1) and the associated provisions that requires restraint so “not to obstruct access to safety equipment, exits or the aisles of the aircraft”. For example, nominal consumer reports indicate widespread use of an inflated air mattress to overcome seat failures, which if utilized without effective and continuous restraint may be contrary to the adequate storage requirements as prescribed in Airworthiness Manual, Sec. 551.500, "Restraint of Carry-On Baggage".
Thanks for identifying relevant CARS. As the one who first used a sleeping pad, the compliant yet practical solution is to additionally carry two straps to hold down the sleeping pad to the seat frame. That would satisfy the safety concerns you have raised.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 10:31 pm
Suspended

delete

Last edited by skybluesea; Dec 23, 2020 at 11:28 pm
Old Mar 4, 2019, 1:39 am

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, Bonvoy Gold, HHonors Diamond, VIA Premier, NEXUS/GE
As several here, I've also been affected by deflated seats. So far in 2019, I'm batting 100% deflation on all my flights, mainly TPAC and TATL. They have all been reported using the form in the wiki. And don't get me started about last year.

The issue is now becoming a serious problem as even when I agreed to move seat (when there is an open seat), that seat also had issue, either deflated or stuck in upright position. On a recent flight (788), 4 seats had problems, that's 20% of the cabin.

As others have mentioned, I too never ask for the compensation form. I feel it should be proactively offered when the issue cannot be solved. And having to reset the seat several times is not solving the issue.

I personally have had enough. I have decided to limit my flights on AC. At this time last year, I had requalified for SE. This year, I don't even have the AQD to qualify for P25. I have changed several of my flights (revenue and rewards as well) to avoid AC as much as possible. I also think the lack of communication from AC management is unacceptable.

My 2 cents.

Safe travels.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 3:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Second flight in a row with deflated backrest (YYZ-MUC this time). Even the SD used the term "like sleeping on a park bench". Gave me a second duvet to put over the seat but did not offer a compensation form. Will write in and see if I get a response. He claimed not to realize that the backrest also is supposed to be inflated. Grrrr.
skybluesea likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 6:36 am
Suspended

delete

Old Mar 4, 2019, 7:17 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
"Although our seating is infallible, from time to time as you've experienced, they do malfunction.”
Isnt that statement an oxymoron?
skybluesea and DNAwizard like this.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 7:20 am
Suspended

delete
DNAwizard likes this.

Old Mar 4, 2019, 7:49 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
@jc94
added this text to my draft letter this morning.

btw…”infallible” is defined as “incapable of error”, or “not liable to mislead, deceive, or disappoint” (Merrian-Webster) so please do not insult my intelligence with “Although our seating is infallible, from time to time as you've experienced, they do malfunction.”, when AC has received widespread reports of repeated if not constant seat service failures. This AC statement however will certainly be useful in my complaints.
Yup hence my statement. They have a statement saying their seat can't fail, except it does which appears to be a contradiction.

And we know, at least anecdotally, that AC is aware of this from reports within this thread.
skybluesea likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 8:22 am
Suspended

delete

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.