Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Deflategate; new executive pods deflating in-flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 20, 2017, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Argonaut1000
Click here to go to a picture of the White Compensation Form and its stub

View Deflated Seat History Here (Database for submitted occurrences)
Enter New Deflated Seat Occurrence Here (Submit one if you have experienced deflated seat and it will show up in the database above)
----
From post #49 in this thread, here's one potential way to (re)inflate an AC seat:
  • Go the home screen "Your Seat". (find this on the seat side panel; not the main video screen)
    • Hold the top left hand corner "Air Canada" (with AC logo) for 3 seconds. Updated (Apr 9 18): may need to hold for as long as 45 seconds for key pad to appear
      • Dial pad shows up - hit 3-2-1.
        • Press "Reset Lumbar Support"
Note that this method has not met 100% success so YMMV.
A better method is for a crew member to use the reset switch under the seat, on the aisle side.

Compensation offers (green/white sheet completed)
40K AE- Apr 18 (50% back of the J class one way redemption)
2018 Jun - $500 coupon
2018 Sep $1,000 eCoupon or 40K AP (P fare TPAC)
2018 Sep $500 eCoupon (P fare TPAC) (no change on protest- update - 6 months later the $150 was increased to $500 - admitted they had made an error)

Compensation offers (no green/white sheet completed)
100K - May 5 (C$150 eCoupon; was moved to a functioning seat after meal service)
2017 Sept - 8,000 AE miles - reported via complaint web page after realizing it was a faulty seat, not standard discomfort; Asked for return of eUps but they declined.
2017 Nov & 2018 Feb - $500 coupons both times (second time on protest that $500 had been offered the previous time)
2018 Sep. $250 coupon (on a paid J TATL).
2018 Nov - $500 eCoupon (J TATL)

Standard eCoupon compensation offers (no haggling; following a recurring pattern)
~10+ hours: $1000
Long TPAC (TPE-YVR)

~6 to ~10 hours: $500
Short TPAC (NRT-YVR)
TATL
South America: YYZ-GRU

less than ~6 hours: 300
TCON

Have a Service Director (SD) That Is Giving You the Case of the Shrugs? Like the real life version of this ASCII emoji -> Ż\_(ツ)_/Ż ?

No success with the SD and/or crew rectifying your deflated seat and you can't be/aren't accommodated to another J seat? If you asked for a compensation form and the SD says they have no idea what you are talking about, you can use the below picture of the stub portion to help freshen their memory (better than nothing)...

Please note that for the longest time, the "Green Compensation Form" version was used, and there have been recent reports of the "White Compensation Form" replacing the Green version. Reports here have indicated that the two forms are virtually identical except for the colour.
There is now an even newer White Form which explicitly lists "deflated seat" and "deflated seat and fixed", among many other items.

Here is a snapshot of the NEWEST full form (as of August 2019), courtesy of lallied

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31421855-post2093.html
Originally Posted by lallied
Clearly jinxed myself. New form in case hasnt been posted before.

Oops, see it has been. I just didn’t look far enough down ☹️

This is only the stub portion, courtesy of lallied

Originally Posted by lallied

There’s a main section which the SD fills in and detachable section you get to keep. Each has a reference number. It looks like the green one to me except it’s white.

Example

Mattress pads purchased and listed in this thread

Print Wikipost

Deflategate; new executive pods deflating in-flight

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2019, 10:24 am

I had my first opportunity in J long haul over the last couple of weeks from YVR - PEK. The seat was not deflated but more uncomfortable than I thought for being a business class seat! No matter what I did I never could get the seat to feel "comfortable" and attempting to lay down and sleep with the stupid meal tray placed where it is. WOW not impressed.

Coming home we were through TPE to YVR on EVA..... WOW what a difference. Same plane what looks to me is the same seats? These seats were much more comfortable and what a difference as to where the meal tray is situated. I laid down and couldn't believe the difference. I could actually stretch and have some room where my feet were plus lift a leg up etc., Huge difference. Not impressed with AC business class whatsoever. EVA offered pre-ordered special meals which we did; Rowena amenity kits, pajamas etc., and service was awesome.
skybluesea likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 10:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by skybluesea
@canadiancow reflects contract mitigation to the extreme, and would make ideal evidence in a formal complaint.

Now that I see this photo, quite large and which must be sufficiently rigid when inflated to maintain an adult's weight, look forward to response by any commercial airline transport flight/cabin crew that have licencing obligations towards on=board life-safety, strikes me this inflated device in an emergency may come dislodged and potentially block the aisle that could impede exit during urgent conditions. Thus, do you see this personal equipment form a safety risk?

While some here may argue mattress can easily be deflated, this makes an enormous presumption passenger has not been incapacitated during vast types of in-flight emergencies, plus cabin crew going through well-rehearsed emergency procedures - that can happen with NO NOTICE, may not remember to ensure this happens. And if AC fails to rectify this problem soon, more and more travelers will bring mattresses on board, so this grow to overwhelming proportions.

ps...do I expect blow-back from this post - well for full clarity at this stage, should I see this on-board I will ask the SD whether cabin emergency access might be impeded - not putting my life, my families, colleagues, and fellow travelers around me at undue risk in the face of this potential emergency exit impediment.

Better solution folks, get what you paid for by openly demanding AC fix this problem permanently
For what it's worth, of the items I had "out", the inflatable sleeping pad was probably the least likely to make its way into the aisle. It really wedges in to the AC seat, and with weight on top of it, stays in place better than AC's mattress cover.

I was very impressed how it deflated. I just popped the valve open, there was a "woosh", and it was completely deflated in a fraction of a second.
visitor likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 11:45 am
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite 2+ Million Miles
delete

Last edited by skybluesea; Dec 23, 2020 at 9:21 pm
Old Feb 24, 2019, 11:59 am

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
@canadiancow

The inflatable seat problem however is NOT a Minimum Equipment List issue and thus TC cannot intervene in the original problem, which you ably introduced as OP.

again, safe travels...
Wild speculation: should it be? Is having no padding whatsoever a safety issue in the event of a sudden stop? Turbulence? It could be...
skybluesea and canadiancow like this.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 12:04 pm
Suspended

delete

Last edited by skybluesea; Dec 23, 2020 at 9:20 pm
Old Feb 24, 2019, 12:20 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
I think 75% of crews would allow the mattress pad, since it is an external temporary device brought by the passenger that does not obstruct anything during normal use.

Devices the passenger carries on and uses are not required to be submitted or approved for fire safety ratings. If they were, we would be banned from flying with synthetic/polyester coats/clothing. Infant blankets would have to be certified airplane friendly with a slow burn rate.

I think economy cabin passengers having inflatable neck rests that airport shops gouge them $20 for before boarding. I think Air Canada may even sell a neck pillow in flight. This could pose a similar or higher risk, and they are allowed on the plane. In an evacuation there could be economy aisles with 30" pitch seats crammed with dozens of these plus 200 passengerss etc.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 1:07 pm
Suspended

delete
ridefar likes this.

Old Feb 24, 2019, 2:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
If I may throw in another comment, this was the most comfortable Dream Cabin seat I've ever slept on.

So even if it's not deflated, I'm tempted to add my own padding.
visitor, D582 and canopus27 like this.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 5:10 pm
Suspended

delete

Old Feb 24, 2019, 5:50 pm

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
Based on the recent discussions, actual use of the mattresses pads, and the fact that I'm heading off to HKG in just over a week ... I purchased my own inflatable mattress.

Those in Canada have surely observed that the pad that the cow purchased is not available in Canada ... but this one is a available, and mine was delivered this evening
Amazon Amazon

It's certainly small and light, so I'm pleased with what I received... now here's hoping that I don't need to use it.
D582 and 24left like this.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 9:11 pm
Suspended

delete

Old Feb 24, 2019, 10:57 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Not aware of anything in CoC or literature about passenger carried items, such as neck pillows, back lumbar devices, and seat pads. In some cases, there may be a medical need/requirement. It would then be discriminatory to disallow them.
D582 and canopus27 like this.

Last edited by expert7700; Feb 25, 2019 at 2:15 am Reason: brevity to stay on topic
Old Feb 24, 2019, 11:15 pm
Suspended

delete

Old Feb 25, 2019, 7:05 am

Programs: Free Agent
@expert7700

routinely involved in writing aviation related SOPs which are not based on "guess"...instead involved research, evidence, consultation, and judgement, at a minimum, if I recall correctly.

your input valuable - helps clarify what I will say around making determination of what is acceptable and communicate such information before flight...

of course, wouldn't better solution be that we all push AC to fix the problem...pointing out AC customers are taking matters in their own hands is just part of a bigger picture...

again, thanks for your input...
Feedback- Not sure of intent here- regs/policy/practice without consistent enforcement is just a distraction and leads to even more unmet expectations. reference: lack of policing of AC's existing carry on policy. Taking away our 'comfort mattresses' seems like a tactic looking for a strategy.
canopus27 likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 7:52 am

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by expert7700
Not aware of anything in CoC or literature about passenger carried items, such as neck pillows, back lumbar devices, and seat pads. In some cases, there may be a medical need/requirement. It would then be discriminatory to disallow them.
I completely agree. For example, here's a FT thread about the use of back supports onboard AC .... Obusfome backrest on AC flights?

I have personally taken a big obusforme (this one: https://www.obusforme.com/highback-b...ort-black.html) with me all the way to India and back. I was stuck travelling in Y, and that made the seats and journey much more tolerable. I had no pushback from AC, LH, or even the low cost Indian airlines I used for domestic flights .... no issues from anyone.

The inflatable mattresses are far less rigid than my obusforme was ... and not that much larger, either ... and neither one represents any sort of danger to others, IMHO. The aisles (particularly in Y) are far more likely to get jammed with purses and bags and winter coats and blankets.
canadiancow likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.