Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Deflategate; new executive pods deflating in-flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 20, 2017, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Argonaut1000
Click here to go to a picture of the White Compensation Form and its stub

View Deflated Seat History Here (Database for submitted occurrences)
Enter New Deflated Seat Occurrence Here (Submit one if you have experienced deflated seat and it will show up in the database above)
----
From post #49 in this thread, here's one potential way to (re)inflate an AC seat:
  • Go the home screen "Your Seat". (find this on the seat side panel; not the main video screen)
    • Hold the top left hand corner "Air Canada" (with AC logo) for 3 seconds. Updated (Apr 9 18): may need to hold for as long as 45 seconds for key pad to appear
      • Dial pad shows up - hit 3-2-1.
        • Press "Reset Lumbar Support"
Note that this method has not met 100% success so YMMV.
A better method is for a crew member to use the reset switch under the seat, on the aisle side.

Compensation offers (green/white sheet completed)
40K AE- Apr 18 (50% back of the J class one way redemption)
2018 Jun - $500 coupon
2018 Sep $1,000 eCoupon or 40K AP (P fare TPAC)
2018 Sep $500 eCoupon (P fare TPAC) (no change on protest- update - 6 months later the $150 was increased to $500 - admitted they had made an error)

Compensation offers (no green/white sheet completed)
100K - May 5 (C$150 eCoupon; was moved to a functioning seat after meal service)
2017 Sept - 8,000 AE miles - reported via complaint web page after realizing it was a faulty seat, not standard discomfort; Asked for return of eUps but they declined.
2017 Nov & 2018 Feb - $500 coupons both times (second time on protest that $500 had been offered the previous time)
2018 Sep. $250 coupon (on a paid J TATL).
2018 Nov - $500 eCoupon (J TATL)

Standard eCoupon compensation offers (no haggling; following a recurring pattern)
~10+ hours: $1000
Long TPAC (TPE-YVR)

~6 to ~10 hours: $500
Short TPAC (NRT-YVR)
TATL
South America: YYZ-GRU

less than ~6 hours: 300
TCON

Have a Service Director (SD) That Is Giving You the Case of the Shrugs? Like the real life version of this ASCII emoji -> ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ?

No success with the SD and/or crew rectifying your deflated seat and you can't be/aren't accommodated to another J seat? If you asked for a compensation form and the SD says they have no idea what you are talking about, you can use the below picture of the stub portion to help freshen their memory (better than nothing)...

Please note that for the longest time, the "Green Compensation Form" version was used, and there have been recent reports of the "White Compensation Form" replacing the Green version. Reports here have indicated that the two forms are virtually identical except for the colour.
There is now an even newer White Form which explicitly lists "deflated seat" and "deflated seat and fixed", among many other items.

Here is a snapshot of the NEWEST full form (as of August 2019), courtesy of lallied

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31421855-post2093.html
Originally Posted by lallied
Clearly jinxed myself. New form in case hasnt been posted before.

Oops, see it has been. I just didn’t look far enough down ☹️

This is only the stub portion, courtesy of lallied

There’s a main section which the SD fills in and detachable section you get to keep. Each has a reference number. It looks like the green one to me except it’s white.

Example

Mattress pads purchased and listed in this thread

Print Wikipost

Deflategate; new executive pods deflating in-flight

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2019, 8:40 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs

Boarded. Seat flat. Insisted on moving even though called maintenance. Second seat flat. Magic maintenance came on and replaced bladders on both in 10min. Fixed Wow. My heroes.
These maintenance guys are becoming my heroes.

Now, if only I was based in YYZ.
monkai likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 8:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite 2+ Million Miles
delete

Last edited by skybluesea; Dec 23, 2020 at 9:22 pm
Old Feb 23, 2019, 4:57 am

Originally Posted by skybluesea

@lallied
two hours into YVR Taipei I don’t recall seeing a maintenance person on board to do what you’re suggesting. Plus, will this happen at an out station like Rome in March where I’m going, with winter service down to a few times a week, AC certainly would need a call out to the local contractor - and I’m Italian from near Rome and it would be a miracle if anything was done in 10 minutes in the Eternal City

this is a systemic problem and AC probably expects a tidalwave so why would AC email me $1000 offer, mid-journey for that matter, even before I’ve actually made a formal complaint (and SD did not give me white form) - my status certainly gets their attention, but as above I don’t want compensation I want to rest before hitting the ground at the destination.

Others do what you wish, but I’m not gonna take any AC excuses here anymore.
I agree. Have said the same thing to AC and said they need to take seat out of service.

HOWEVER my point is all the blustering in the world doesn’t fix a seat. Which is the actual issue. There is no reason why AC would want to hand out 1k coupons and irritate people.

I had thought could not be fixed.

But clearly can be. Seats likely don’t mysteriously fail. They have a history. So, replace bladders of all reported when in major Canadian airport. Train and equip remote maintenance to do.

This is just corrective action and training.

My point is merely that I am seeing hope.

Misguided you may say.

Nonetheless , hope.
skybluesea likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 6:19 am

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
I had thought could not be fixed.

But clearly can be. Seats likely don’t mysteriously fail. They have a history. So, replace bladders of all reported when in major Canadian airport. Train and equip remote maintenance to do.
I agree, for the past year or so I thought the issue was a defect with all seats that AC wasn't allowed to fix until the "revision 2.0 seat" passes approval.

Clearly though, AC has a supply of new spare part revision 1.0 seat cushions and should be replacing them

Hmm. If AC is sending out vouchers for $500-1000, and sends multiple vouchers per seat before replacing it what is the breakeven point?

It has been speculated that the manufacturer reimbursing AC for the vouchers.. Perhaps AC is actually billing the manufacturer for every single complaint in the logbook, but compensating customers far less often.
skybluesea likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 7:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by expert7700
It has been speculated that the manufacturer reimbursing AC for the vouchers.. Perhaps AC is actually billing the manufacturer for every single complaint in the logbook, but compensating customers far less often.
More likely, not so many people complain so it is worthwhile for AC to sell seats and only compensate the few people who complain. Borderline fraud?
skybluesea likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 9:29 am

Originally Posted by expert7700
I agree, for the past year or so I thought the issue was a defect with all seats that AC wasn't allowed to fix until the "revision 2.0 seat" passes approval.

Clearly though, AC has a supply of new spare part revision 1.0 seat cushions and should be replacing them

Hmm. If AC is sending out vouchers for $500-1000, and sends multiple vouchers per seat before replacing it what is the breakeven point?

I too assume this is just replacement of the original bladders and that they will fail as well in a year. And that a permanent solution would be more cost-effective. However, I don’t actually care as long as my seat doesn’t deflate.
Plumber, D582 and Bohemian1 like this.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 3:10 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Clearly what a customer service orientated ethical company would do is provide decent compensation (not $1k in most cases) and send maintainece on to replace the issue at the next opportunity. Which is within a day or two if it only takes 5-10 minutes.

I get these replacement parts may not be at all outstations, so what AC needs is a way of transporting replacement parts to all the airports they fly to... Any ideas
skybluesea likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 3:31 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by jc94
Clearly what a customer service orientated ethical company would do is provide decent compensation (not $1k in most cases) and send maintainece on to replace the issue at the next opportunity. Which is within a day or two if it only takes 5-10 minutes.

I get these replacement parts may not be at all outstations, so what AC needs is a way of transporting replacement parts to all the airports they fly to... Any ideas
Or more effectively, teach FTers to replace the bladders, similar to how we know the Rondelle/Toggle mechanism.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 10:20 pm

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Originally Posted by skybluesea
But it would appear plenty posters would rather gripe here, then actually engage and get what they paid for.
I asked questions around this same issue, and a few days ago made a similar observation to yours; the result of which was some very entertaining responses, both on the public forum, and privately. The only thing, it seems, that people dislike more than whatever prompts a complaint, is being asked not to complain about a product they insist upon consuming.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 11:39 pm
Suspended

delete

Old Feb 24, 2019, 2:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
834 1D, 1G, and 2D at time of boarding.

Edit: SD did the hard reset of 1G, but it was deflated again before takeoff. Lumbar reset seems to be working, but I have an inflatable mattress just in case.

Edit: We did to 1D the same as 1G, but 1D has deflated again.

Last edited by canadiancow; Feb 24, 2019 at 4:09 am
Old Feb 24, 2019, 5:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
It deflated again.

Thanks to this thread, I solved the problem myself.

Old Feb 24, 2019, 5:36 am

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
AC could sell these via duty free catalog

Last edited by expert7700; Feb 25, 2019 at 2:17 am
Old Feb 24, 2019, 6:07 am
Suspended

delete
Transpacificflyer likes this.

Old Feb 24, 2019, 6:12 am

Programs: AC MM+
AC 91, Feb 23, FIN 747, 2K, upper lumbar kept deflating. Interesting note: the AC 'Man in Black' was onboard doing a service review. Had a good chat on the seat problems. He did not acknowledge that it was a huge problem for AC so IMO, not a real problem yet, we don't have their attention. He also mentioned that most people don't know the difference of don'T complain so maintenance does not know: not in the logbook=does not exist.

I failed this group as as I had my inflatable mattress but did not pull it out, just too lazy/burned out from the week.
skybluesea likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.