Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Deflategate; new executive pods deflating in-flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 20, 2017, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Argonaut1000
Click here to go to a picture of the White Compensation Form and its stub

View Deflated Seat History Here (Database for submitted occurrences)
Enter New Deflated Seat Occurrence Here (Submit one if you have experienced deflated seat and it will show up in the database above)
----
From post #49 in this thread, here's one potential way to (re)inflate an AC seat:
  • Go the home screen "Your Seat". (find this on the seat side panel; not the main video screen)
    • Hold the top left hand corner "Air Canada" (with AC logo) for 3 seconds. Updated (Apr 9 18): may need to hold for as long as 45 seconds for key pad to appear
      • Dial pad shows up - hit 3-2-1.
        • Press "Reset Lumbar Support"
Note that this method has not met 100% success so YMMV.
A better method is for a crew member to use the reset switch under the seat, on the aisle side.

Compensation offers (green/white sheet completed)
40K AE- Apr 18 (50% back of the J class one way redemption)
2018 Jun - $500 coupon
2018 Sep $1,000 eCoupon or 40K AP (P fare TPAC)
2018 Sep $500 eCoupon (P fare TPAC) (no change on protest- update - 6 months later the $150 was increased to $500 - admitted they had made an error)

Compensation offers (no green/white sheet completed)
100K - May 5 (C$150 eCoupon; was moved to a functioning seat after meal service)
2017 Sept - 8,000 AE miles - reported via complaint web page after realizing it was a faulty seat, not standard discomfort; Asked for return of eUps but they declined.
2017 Nov & 2018 Feb - $500 coupons both times (second time on protest that $500 had been offered the previous time)
2018 Sep. $250 coupon (on a paid J TATL).
2018 Nov - $500 eCoupon (J TATL)

Standard eCoupon compensation offers (no haggling; following a recurring pattern)
~10+ hours: $1000
Long TPAC (TPE-YVR)

~6 to ~10 hours: $500
Short TPAC (NRT-YVR)
TATL
South America: YYZ-GRU

less than ~6 hours: 300
TCON

Have a Service Director (SD) That Is Giving You the Case of the Shrugs? Like the real life version of this ASCII emoji -> ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ?

No success with the SD and/or crew rectifying your deflated seat and you can't be/aren't accommodated to another J seat? If you asked for a compensation form and the SD says they have no idea what you are talking about, you can use the below picture of the stub portion to help freshen their memory (better than nothing)...

Please note that for the longest time, the "Green Compensation Form" version was used, and there have been recent reports of the "White Compensation Form" replacing the Green version. Reports here have indicated that the two forms are virtually identical except for the colour.
There is now an even newer White Form which explicitly lists "deflated seat" and "deflated seat and fixed", among many other items.

Here is a snapshot of the NEWEST full form (as of August 2019), courtesy of lallied

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31421855-post2093.html
Originally Posted by lallied
Clearly jinxed myself. New form in case hasnt been posted before.

Oops, see it has been. I just didn’t look far enough down ☹️

This is only the stub portion, courtesy of lallied

Originally Posted by lallied

There’s a main section which the SD fills in and detachable section you get to keep. Each has a reference number. It looks like the green one to me except it’s white.

Example

Mattress pads purchased and listed in this thread

Print Wikipost

Deflategate; new executive pods deflating in-flight

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2019, 4:46 pm

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
@Bohemian1: well done. Not that you need my endorsement, but kudos regardless for opting for a more comfortable experience. I'm not very familiar with your travel patterns other than you're based in YVR, so don't know if starting fresh with OneWorld or Skyteam would work for you. That would send a pretty stark message if enough people could/would do so.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 5:01 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer
@Bohemian1: well done. Not that you need my endorsement, but kudos regardless for opting for a more comfortable experience. I'm not very familiar with your travel patterns other than you're based in YVR, so don't know if starting fresh with OneWorld or Skyteam would work for you. That would send a pretty stark message if enough people could/would do so.
Since you ask, I'm invested in *A to some degree and they can get me pretty much anywhere I want to go. And I feel Aeroplan is actually pretty good value for international redemptions in J. So I won't likely be walking away from *A any time soon.

But being based in YVR, I'm lucky enough to have sufficiently viable alternatives to AC. Especially for my TPACs.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 5:04 pm

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by 24left
Well, if you sit down and it feel like a hard board, that's a clue.
If you lean back and feel metal rods, that's a clue.
If you board and the parts are inflated but deflate in-flight, you'll notice and feel it.

I've had maintenance onboard prior to my Nov AC 15 departure and that guy kept pressing the firmer-softer button (no pun intended). I told him that is not how to reset the seat. He kept at it so I told the SD he is wasting time, I didn't want him to hold up the flight so we would have to sort it later.

I had 16 hours of lumbar misery on that one. The 2 SDs tried all of the various resets because the rondelle reset didn't even work.

On the recent AC 4, the seat was deflated at departure, I reset with rondelle. It worked for 45 minutes or so, then deflated, then I reset again, last for just under 2 hours and so the game went for the flight.

On AC 101, nothing worked and as I noted, AC 101 and AC 4 were both fin 849 and I was not in the same seat, plus others on 101 also had deflates.

On AC 16 from HKG, nothing worked.

And as per suggestions of others on this forum in both public and private messages to me, it seems I fly AC too often and am thus on the losing end of the AC Deflated-Seat-Lottery.

I will have to decide whether I cancel upcoming trips, or take them but book nothing after that until AC decides to take this issue seriously in both the repair & replace department as well as not being so cheap in the compensation department.

More than one SD in the past year made some comment that I had to move seats because the deflated seat posed safety issue. So, how does that work on a full-flight? How does that work when someone paid $5,000 for a ticket and AC's view is "well, we got you there"? And how does it work when the same aircraft turns around to fly back and another pax is in the same seat that one SD decided was not safe on the outbound?
Here is my thing (and this is a response to CZAMflyer too): the nanosecond after AC doesn’t provide me with a massive refund on a TATL seat that deflates is the amount of time it will take me to start booking on other airlines. Even in woefully isolated YYC I can still reasonably fly KLM (they have new hard product now) or less reasonably BA. All I want to do is get on and sleep so neither food nor service matter much to me. Thus BA is a real consideration. I am paying atrocious prices ex YYC TATL (often $8k or more for a return ticket). I expect value. If I don’t get it you bet I will make a stink if they aren’t very generous with the compensation. In fairness I would try hard to have a polite but clear conversation with a senior manager first. But if AC treated me like they have 24L so far I would be all over social media calling them out and I would be flying on another airline. No status level is worth it. (Granted I will easily make SE just on my domestic travels to be fair.)
Bohemian1 and 24left like this.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 5:24 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Marriott Titanium
The results of my next 3 TPACs will dictate what I do. These flights will have me at SE by mid-March and I am seriously considering switching to CX for Asia and LH for Europe after that. I've probably had 15+ deflated seats in the last 10 months and I'm at the point where I am surprised the seat is inflated when I get there...and like Lallied, the absolute first thing I do is check the inflation before putting my bag overhead; if it is deflated, I go to the SD immediately during the boarding process.

Going into 2019, I was pushing for MM with AC...now I'm not so sure the discomfort is worth it, especially given @24left's treatment.
​​
24left likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 5:38 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by YVRtoYYZ
The results of my next 3 TPACs will dictate what I do. These flights will have me at SE by mid-March and I am seriously considering switching to CX for Asia and LH for Europe after that. I've probably had 15+ deflated seats in the last 10 months and I'm at the point where I am surprised the seat is inflated when I get there...and like Lallied, the absolute first thing I do is check the inflation before putting my bag overhead; if it is deflated, I go to the SD immediately during the boarding process.

Going into 2019, I was pushing for MM with AC...now I'm not so sure the discomfort is worth it, especially given @24left's treatment.
​​
I hope you don't run into any problems. I've kept my TATL flights from Toronto to London and back from Copenhagen on AC, but I decided for flights to Asia to use other carriers. A flight to LHR is uncomfortable but manageable, but a flight to Hong Kong or Tokyo is too long, and it doesn't add that much flight time to connect on NH or BR compared to AC's direct flights, and the service is probably better.
lallied and 24left like this.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 5:47 pm

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Originally Posted by Bohemian1
Since you ask, I'm invested in *A to some degree and they can get me pretty much anywhere I want to go. And I feel Aeroplan is actually pretty good value for international redemptions in J. So I won't likely be walking away from *A any time soon.
I completely understand.

But being based in YVR, I'm lucky enough to have sufficiently viable alternatives to AC. Especially for my TPACs.
This is known as: Cake and Eat It (NH, BR, and hey, even CA).
Old Feb 7, 2019, 6:28 pm

I paid $200 to cancel my reservation for AC15 and AC12 in paid J. It would've been my first-ever Air Canada journey.

I had a high opinion of AC from visiting the excellent MLL in Frankfurt, and their fare to and from LGA was very reasonable. So I bought the tickets.

Then I came across this thread! My anticipation of flying biz on vacation was ruined by anxiety over possibly getting a deflated seat. Of course, my seat would probably be fine...but why spend $1000s to worry beforehand and possibly sit on metal and wood for hours?

So after fighting for my refund on a 50-minute phone call to AC reservations, I am paying more to fly on SQ instead. Just a data point.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 6:32 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by fast passenger
I paid $200 to cancel my reservation for AC15 and AC12 in paid J. It would've been my first-ever Air Canada journey.

I had a high opinion of AC from visiting the excellent MLL in Frankfurt, and their fare to and from LGA was very reasonable. So I bought the tickets.

Then I came across this thread! My anticipation of flying biz on vacation was ruined by anxiety over possibly getting a deflated seat. Of course, my seat would probably be fine...but why spend $1000s to worry beforehand and possibly sit on metal and wood for hours?

So after fighting for my refund on a 50-minute phone call to AC reservations, I am paying more to fly on SQ instead. Just a data point.
Welcome to FT.

You'll be very comfortable on SQ. Enjoy.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 7:06 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Doing a stay-flat related search, I came across this:

As you will note from Nick's response, it's pretty clear he had a deflated seat. In 2015.

But this was on a 787. So what's the earliest reported incident that we are aware of? I assume it would be on 777, but who knows.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by fast passenger

Good on you! If more AC J TATL/TPAC and TCON travellers took their money elsewhere perhaps AC would start to get the message that isn't not enough to boast they have lie-flat seats (no pun intended). I don't know what the load factor in J would have to be for rev management to get the message, but from the stories I hear it seems like a 100% load factor in J is somewhat common and that clearly won't send such a message!

Safe Travels,

James

Last edited by tcook052; Feb 7, 2019 at 8:37 pm Reason: off topic
Old Feb 7, 2019, 7:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC

As you will note from Nick's response, it's pretty clear he had a deflated seat. In 2015.

But this was on a 787. So what's the earliest reported incident that we are aware of? I assume it would be on 777, but who knows.
2014 when the first handful of 788s went into service.. I experienced my first deflated seat later that year. I flew the new 788s at least twice a week after they rolled out on AC that year.
I just never bothered reporting my early experiences.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 8:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Exclamation

Please note that a number of posts have been deleted or edited as this is the AC "Deflategate thread and not the place to discuss other airlines lounges and/or business class product. Please focus more on the topic at hand going forward.

tcook052
AC forum mod.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 9:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond

Fin 806 seat 1K was a running joke for quite a while.

I recall either saying or hearing (sorry, my memory isn't that great) "Wait this is fin 806? I feel bad for whoever's in 1K!" to or from @24left on a flight in July 2015.

So by that time, we were BOTH aware of the issue on that specific seat, though it was before anyone knew how widespread the problem was.

And I just found an email dated May 22 2015 that began with "Fin 806 avoid 1k. Apparently there are widespread complaints that the air mattress isn't as firm as before."

The Dreamliners came delivered with the new seats, whereas the 777s got them later, so I'd expect the first incident to be on a 787.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 9:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Fin 806 seat 1K was a running joke for quite a while.

I recall either saying or hearing (sorry, my memory isn't that great) "Wait this is fin 806? I feel bad for whoever's in 1K!" to or from @24left on a flight in July 2015.

So by that time, we were BOTH aware of the issue on that specific seat, though it was before anyone knew how widespread the problem was.
Indeed. Just looked up my flight notes from our AC 882 to CPH, little Fin 806.

And, my notes also tell me that my first recorded seat problem was Seat 4A, Fin 802 YVR-YYZ March 23, 2015
Old Feb 7, 2019, 9:51 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
So its been almost four years? Wow

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.