Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Deflategate; new executive pods deflating in-flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 20, 2017, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Argonaut1000
Click here to go to a picture of the White Compensation Form and its stub

View Deflated Seat History Here (Database for submitted occurrences)
Enter New Deflated Seat Occurrence Here (Submit one if you have experienced deflated seat and it will show up in the database above)
----
From post #49 in this thread, here's one potential way to (re)inflate an AC seat:
  • Go the home screen "Your Seat". (find this on the seat side panel; not the main video screen)
    • Hold the top left hand corner "Air Canada" (with AC logo) for 3 seconds. Updated (Apr 9 18): may need to hold for as long as 45 seconds for key pad to appear
      • Dial pad shows up - hit 3-2-1.
        • Press "Reset Lumbar Support"
Note that this method has not met 100% success so YMMV.
A better method is for a crew member to use the reset switch under the seat, on the aisle side.

Compensation offers (green/white sheet completed)
40K AE- Apr 18 (50% back of the J class one way redemption)
2018 Jun - $500 coupon
2018 Sep $1,000 eCoupon or 40K AP (P fare TPAC)
2018 Sep $500 eCoupon (P fare TPAC) (no change on protest- update - 6 months later the $150 was increased to $500 - admitted they had made an error)

Compensation offers (no green/white sheet completed)
100K - May 5 (C$150 eCoupon; was moved to a functioning seat after meal service)
2017 Sept - 8,000 AE miles - reported via complaint web page after realizing it was a faulty seat, not standard discomfort; Asked for return of eUps but they declined.
2017 Nov & 2018 Feb - $500 coupons both times (second time on protest that $500 had been offered the previous time)
2018 Sep. $250 coupon (on a paid J TATL).
2018 Nov - $500 eCoupon (J TATL)

Standard eCoupon compensation offers (no haggling; following a recurring pattern)
~10+ hours: $1000
Long TPAC (TPE-YVR)

~6 to ~10 hours: $500
Short TPAC (NRT-YVR)
TATL
South America: YYZ-GRU

less than ~6 hours: 300
TCON

Have a Service Director (SD) That Is Giving You the Case of the Shrugs? Like the real life version of this ASCII emoji -> Ż\_(ツ)_/Ż ?

No success with the SD and/or crew rectifying your deflated seat and you can't be/aren't accommodated to another J seat? If you asked for a compensation form and the SD says they have no idea what you are talking about, you can use the below picture of the stub portion to help freshen their memory (better than nothing)...

Please note that for the longest time, the "Green Compensation Form" version was used, and there have been recent reports of the "White Compensation Form" replacing the Green version. Reports here have indicated that the two forms are virtually identical except for the colour.
There is now an even newer White Form which explicitly lists "deflated seat" and "deflated seat and fixed", among many other items.

Here is a snapshot of the NEWEST full form (as of August 2019), courtesy of lallied

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31421855-post2093.html
Originally Posted by lallied
Clearly jinxed myself. New form in case hasnt been posted before.

Oops, see it has been. I just didn’t look far enough down ☹️

This is only the stub portion, courtesy of lallied

There’s a main section which the SD fills in and detachable section you get to keep. Each has a reference number. It looks like the green one to me except it’s white.

Example

Mattress pads purchased and listed in this thread

Print Wikipost

Deflategate; new executive pods deflating in-flight

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2019, 6:41 am

Programs: AC SE100K MM, Accor Plat
Back from SFO yesterday on the red eye and when I tried to sleep noticed the top half totally deflated. The in charge said she had never seen this before - anyways after a reset and also the other manual or whatever under the seat reset that another FA tried to do it still didn’t work. I politely said this was quite common and that it was a known problem and had no trouble getting the white form for compensation. My memory is a bit hazy but I think I said I got the form last time so set the expectation and was happy I didn’t have to press the issue. I was offered more mattress covers and they were very apologetic.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 7:11 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by mamau
I have not been told that they are being fixed, no SD or no tech ever mentioned this. All they tell me is that's a known issue. The solution may be available, but not being implemented to my knowledge. It may be a matter of 'when'.
Several people on FT speak to the powers that be at AC and have relayed the fact that they have a fix which, last I read, was delayed due to fire testing or something. It does as you say appear to be taking a little too long but as I’ve posted I don’t personally feel AC is prioritizing it as much as they could - probably because they’re still filling J and occasionally giving out token coupons that force people to fly more AC. And some might comment on a new reluctance from SDs to provide the requisite form.

Originally Posted by ksm06
Back from SFO yesterday on the red eye and when I tried to sleep noticed the top half totally deflated. The in charge said she had never seen this before
Must be a new FA/SD on these planes then. I can’t believe anyone who flies regularly on the afflicted planes hasn’t seen it before.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 10:43 am
F 1

I wonder if SD's are reluctant to hand-out white forms because from a bureaucratic perspective, the notion of a white form indicates there was an issue during the flight when a customer was left unsatisfied, and the quantity of white forms issued by each SD is considered during a workplace performance review?
eigenvector likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 11:30 am

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
I think it's simple - AC doesn't want to pay comp unless they have to. And that message gets delivered loud and clear to the cabin crew.

Accordingly, the 'less motivated' do nothing, the good ones decide to do what's right by their customer anyway.
mamau and nexusCFX like this.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by F 1
I wonder if SD's are reluctant to hand-out white forms because from a bureaucratic perspective, the notion of a white form indicates there was an issue during the flight when a customer was left unsatisfied, and the quantity of white forms issued by each SD is considered during a workplace performance review?
The white forms are for anything that was defective and not rectifiable by fixing it in-flight (e.g. seat, reading light, etc.), or accommodating the pax with the same e.g. sitting in another the seat that is not deflated, reading light works, etc. The forms are not for situations where the passenger is complaining about how they didn't like how a FA is treating them, or if the SE 2MM is complaining about not being asked for their meal order first, etc... there is the regular online complaint form that anyone can fill out and is publicly available to anyone as long as they have the minimum info such as flight, seat, PNR, status, etc.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 2:00 pm
F 1

Originally Posted by yyznomad
The white forms are for anything that was defective and not rectifiable by fixing it in-flight (e.g. seat, reading light, etc.), or accommodating the pax with the same e.g. sitting in another the seat that is not deflated, reading light works, etc. The forms are not for situations where the passenger is complaining about how they didn't like how a FA is treating them, or if the SE 2MM is complaining about not being asked for their meal order first, etc... there is the regular online complaint form that anyone can fill out and is publicly available to anyone as long as they have the minimum info such as flight, seat, PNR, status, etc.
Totally understand the diffence between white form and online submission form, as well as the purpose of it. Just hypothesizing why SD's appear to be reluctant to hand them out

Last edited by F 1; Jan 29, 2019 at 2:07 pm
Old Jan 29, 2019, 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by Bohemian1
I think it's simple - AC doesn't want to pay comp unless they have to. And that message gets delivered loud and clear to the cabin crew.

Accordingly, the 'less motivated' do nothing, the good ones decide to do what's right by their customer anyway.
I had a long conversation today. SD says they are told ONLY to hand out if cannot be (eventually) rectified. So if deflated and you are told flight full and they will reset and see if works and then deflates on and off all night and needs resetting with you keep having to get up, and eventually hours later at 2 am they make a non-rev move out of their seat for you leaving the entire cabin awake all night then it was rectified and no form will be given. They are also told in those instances that putting on manifest is sufficient.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 11:46 pm

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP

I had a long conversation today. SD says they are told ONLY to hand out if cannot be (eventually) rectified. So if deflated and you are told flight full and they will reset and see if works and then deflates on and off all night and needs resetting with you keep having to get up, and eventually hours later at 2 am they make a non-rev move out of their seat for you leaving the entire cabin awake all night then it was rectified and no form will be given. They are also told in those instances that putting on manifest is sufficient.
Thats brutal!

I buy the seat in J cabin for a solid 8 hours sleep on a TPAC....if I am awake every 30 minutes for 2-3 hours constantly resetting my seat, then have to move seats in the middle of the night, I certainly did not get a solid 8 hours of sleep.

Last edited by Plumber; Jan 29, 2019 at 11:55 pm
Old Jan 30, 2019, 12:02 am

Programs: AC E75K

Wow. What a customer-centric approach! [/sarcasm]

But does not surprise at all given the reluctance I've experienced with some crew members in these circumstances. I've found instead of negotiating / pleading with the in-flight crew, if they don't offer proactively, I just go straight to the online form. Not sure if it's because I'm SE, but I've always received compensation that way.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 5:07 am

Originally Posted by capedreamer
Wow. What a customer-centric approach! [/sarcasm]

But does not surprise at all given the reluctance I've experienced with some crew members in these circumstances. I've found instead of negotiating / pleading with the in-flight crew, if they don't offer proactively, I just go straight to the online form. Not sure if it's because I'm SE, but I've always received compensation that way.
When I write in they say without a form cannot do anything and am also SE.

I am done and I don’t give up easily. Not because of the seats primarily but all this hassle and unpleasantness.
mamau and nexusCFX like this.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 12:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I suspect they may be less willing to believe an undocumented claim because of how popular this thread is now. My first two issues did not receive a compensation form, but I had no trouble getting compensation.

AmericanBovine had an issue once, but we explicitly asked for and received the form, and he received compensation.

I'm glad my expensive tickets haven't had issues, or I suspect there would have been a much larger fight.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 1:17 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium

I had a long conversation today. SD says they are told ONLY to hand out if cannot be (eventually) rectified.
I feared something similar but still got the form after I woke up to a deflated seat. My back hurt because I fell asleep on what turned into a wooden/plastic bench for hours. Changing seats or adding a duvet before landing isn't going to help that. I told the SD that not only was the form justified, I knew AC wanted to track these occurrences because the seat manufacturer was reimbursing them for any issues.

In late December my son's seat was deflated at the bottom and mine was deflated at the back/top. No form was needed--each was rectified before takeoff. Amazingly the fix held for the 13hr flight.

BTW, (I didn't see this posted upthread), it seems like the manual power cut-off switch for the 777 middle seats are all along the K side aisle, and that each switch controls both seats.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by expert7700

BTW, (I didn't see this posted upthread), it seems like the manual power cut-off switch for the 777 middle seats are all along the K side aisle, and that each switch controls both seats.
I don't call hearing or reading about this specific detail. Good to know. ^
Old Jan 30, 2019, 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
I suspect they may be less willing to believe an undocumented claim because of how popular this thread is now. My first two issues did not receive a compensation form, but I had no trouble getting compensation.

AmericanBovine had an issue once, but we explicitly asked for and received the form, and he received compensation.

I'm glad my expensive tickets haven't had issues, or I suspect there would have been a much larger fight.

So, I had documentation - a card with a reference number rather than a form as they didn't have one on board, and this was the reply - no compensation.

""Thank you for writing to us about flight X. I'm very sorry to hear that you experienced a seat deflation issue again on this occasion.

I can certainly understand your frustration with the seating issues you have encountered over the last year. We know our customers look forward to a comfortable and restful experience on long flights, and I would like to extend our sincere apologies for the consistent inconveniences you have experienced. I wish to assure you this is equally unacceptable to us, and the seat deflation issue is being looked into internally.

In addition, we have been in contact with our Inflight management team to request confirmation that the On Board Compensation forms are being loaded on all flights. They have advised that they will follow-up with their teams so we can ensure OBC forms are available in these instances.

We have also requested further information about flight AC X specifically, and very much appreciate your continued patience and understanding while we look into this matter.

I know this doesn't make your experiences any less frustrating, but I want to assure you we truly value your loyalty and support. We sincerely hope to be given the chance to serve you more favourably in the near future.""
Old Jan 30, 2019, 3:36 pm

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
I am happy to report that I just got off Fin 808 (C-GHQY) without a deflation. I was in 5D and that seat had been previously reported on the spreadsheet as having a deflation issue.

i tried to change seats before the flight , but the cabin was full. I switched to this flight from another Tokyo-Canada flight that was delayed and I got the lasr J seat- meaning no choice on seat selection.

It it has proven to me that even though a seat is listed as having an issue in the spreadsheet, it doesn’t mean one will still have a deflation issue today.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.