Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Deflategate; new executive pods deflating in-flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 20, 2017, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Argonaut1000
Click here to go to a picture of the White Compensation Form and its stub

View Deflated Seat History Here (Database for submitted occurrences)
Enter New Deflated Seat Occurrence Here (Submit one if you have experienced deflated seat and it will show up in the database above)
----
From post #49 in this thread, here's one potential way to (re)inflate an AC seat:
  • Go the home screen "Your Seat". (find this on the seat side panel; not the main video screen)
    • Hold the top left hand corner "Air Canada" (with AC logo) for 3 seconds. Updated (Apr 9 18): may need to hold for as long as 45 seconds for key pad to appear
      • Dial pad shows up - hit 3-2-1.
        • Press "Reset Lumbar Support"
Note that this method has not met 100% success so YMMV.
A better method is for a crew member to use the reset switch under the seat, on the aisle side.

Compensation offers (green/white sheet completed)
40K AE- Apr 18 (50% back of the J class one way redemption)
2018 Jun - $500 coupon
2018 Sep $1,000 eCoupon or 40K AP (P fare TPAC)
2018 Sep $500 eCoupon (P fare TPAC) (no change on protest- update - 6 months later the $150 was increased to $500 - admitted they had made an error)

Compensation offers (no green/white sheet completed)
100K - May 5 (C$150 eCoupon; was moved to a functioning seat after meal service)
2017 Sept - 8,000 AE miles - reported via complaint web page after realizing it was a faulty seat, not standard discomfort; Asked for return of eUps but they declined.
2017 Nov & 2018 Feb - $500 coupons both times (second time on protest that $500 had been offered the previous time)
2018 Sep. $250 coupon (on a paid J TATL).
2018 Nov - $500 eCoupon (J TATL)

Standard eCoupon compensation offers (no haggling; following a recurring pattern)
~10+ hours: $1000
Long TPAC (TPE-YVR)

~6 to ~10 hours: $500
Short TPAC (NRT-YVR)
TATL
South America: YYZ-GRU

less than ~6 hours: 300
TCON

Have a Service Director (SD) That Is Giving You the Case of the Shrugs? Like the real life version of this ASCII emoji -> Ż\_(ツ)_/Ż ?

No success with the SD and/or crew rectifying your deflated seat and you can't be/aren't accommodated to another J seat? If you asked for a compensation form and the SD says they have no idea what you are talking about, you can use the below picture of the stub portion to help freshen their memory (better than nothing)...

Please note that for the longest time, the "Green Compensation Form" version was used, and there have been recent reports of the "White Compensation Form" replacing the Green version. Reports here have indicated that the two forms are virtually identical except for the colour.
There is now an even newer White Form which explicitly lists "deflated seat" and "deflated seat and fixed", among many other items.

Here is a snapshot of the NEWEST full form (as of August 2019), courtesy of lallied

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31421855-post2093.html
Originally Posted by lallied
Clearly jinxed myself. New form in case hasnt been posted before.

Oops, see it has been. I just didn’t look far enough down ☹️

This is only the stub portion, courtesy of lallied

There’s a main section which the SD fills in and detachable section you get to keep. Each has a reference number. It looks like the green one to me except it’s white.

Example

Mattress pads purchased and listed in this thread

Print Wikipost

Deflategate; new executive pods deflating in-flight

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2019, 8:41 pm

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
Originally Posted by sweden05
Upper portion of mattress deflated on seat 7A, AC873 FRA-YYZ, Jan18. Fin 740. C-FIVQ. Multiple resets did not resolve.
Same issue. Same seat. But Fin 732, 12 Jan, AC056 YYZDXB
Old Jan 21, 2019, 7:21 am

Programs: AC MM+
AC 91, FIN 743, Jan 19, 5A, upper mattress. Had my extractors to pull teeth to get the comp sheet, again.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 7:59 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by mamau
AC 91, FIN 743, Jan 19, 5A, upper mattress. Had my extractors to pull teeth to get the comp sheet, again.
I wonder, has anyone contacted AC maybe via twitter asking why they have to do battle for a compensation sheet every time their seat resembles a morgue slab / pancake?
Old Jan 21, 2019, 9:27 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by jc94

I wonder, has anyone contacted AC maybe via twitter asking why they have to do battle for a compensation sheet every time their seat resembles a morgue slab / pancake?
Yup...I complain publically via Twitter. AllI get is "DM us your details". In fact, with my last complaint, they thought I was referring to a previous complaint as to two deflate occurrences happened so close together.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 10:27 am

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
I think they should gamify this and just issue punch cards.

After 10 deflated seats, you get a free set of Roots sweats. - "Earn Your Sweats 2019".

And 2020.

And 2021 ...
mamau, flyquiet and 24left like this.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 10:29 am

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
Commission Roots to make sweats with padding down the back or side (back sleeper or side sleeper models).
Old Jan 25, 2019, 12:51 pm

Dear FTers, I can't put enough emphasis on the fact that you MUST obtain the white comp sheet for anything to happen as far as compensation. I could not obtain one on a flight last week, after being switched from one deflated seat to another deflated seat. SD never responded when I asked and a familiar and friendly crew member said that he wold try to get me one but that the SD was stingy(lazy?). I sent my comments via the AC website and received this response:

Thank you for your email. We appreciate your continued customer loyalty and apologize for the discomfort you have experienced on more then one occasion due to your Business Class seat not inflating properly. I am pleased to have the opportunity to address this concern.

We recognize that our top tier customers look forward to the additional comforts of their Business Class seats. I am very sorry that on multiple occasions your comfort has been negatively affected by the seat not inflating properly. Please know that our operations managers are aware of this issue and our Cabin Engineering team is working with the aircraft manufacturer on a more permanent solution to the seat inflation issue. We apologize for letting you down on these occasions.

Please know that we are normally not able to offer compensation unless an Onboard Compensation form has been provided by our in-flight team. Your comments regarding our onboard agents not providing these forms has been forwarded to our in-flight managers for internal review and action. Therefore, in this instance we are making an exception and providing compensation for your experiences flying between Toronto and Sao Paulo. Air Canada regrets the impression you have been left with and does not wish for you to remain disappointed. As a gesture of goodwill, we are pleased to provide you with an Air Canada eCoupon in the amount of $XXXX
Old Jan 25, 2019, 1:05 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Dear FTers, I can't put enough emphasis on the fact that you MUST obtain the white comp sheet for anything to happen as far as compensation. I could not obtain one on a flight last week, after being switched from one deflated seat to another deflated seat. SD never responded when I asked and a familiar and friendly crew member said that he wold try to get me one but that the SD was stingy(lazy?). I sent my comments via the AC website and received this response:

Thank you for your email. We appreciate your continued customer loyalty and apologize for the discomfort you have experienced on more then one occasion due to your Business Class seat not inflating properly. I am pleased to have the opportunity to address this concern.

We recognize that our top tier customers look forward to the additional comforts of their Business Class seats. I am very sorry that on multiple occasions your comfort has been negatively affected by the seat not inflating properly. Please know that our operations managers are aware of this issue and our Cabin Engineering team is working with the aircraft manufacturer on a more permanent solution to the seat inflation issue. We apologize for letting you down on these occasions.

Please know that we are normally not able to offer compensation unless an Onboard Compensation form has been provided by our in-flight team. Your comments regarding our onboard agents not providing these forms has been forwarded to our in-flight managers for internal review and action. Therefore, in this instance we are making an exception and providing compensation for your experiences flying between Toronto and Sao Paulo. Air Canada regrets the impression you have been left with and does not wish for you to remain disappointed. As a gesture of goodwill, we are pleased to provide you with an Air Canada eCoupon in the amount of $XXXX
Are you a SE? Reason I ask is I like your post and it's very helpful but I take huge offense at this comment: "our top tier customers look forward to the additional comforts of their Business Class seats"

Do us statusless or non-SE peons not deserve the additional comfort of Business Class?!

Other than that, good on you for writing in and hopefully AC will actually follow up with their in-flight team. If SDs are actively refusing to provide these forms for whatever reason that is, in my mind, a disciplinary offense.

/puts on flame suit.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by jc94
Are you a SE? Reason I ask is I like your post and it's very helpful but I take huge offense at this comment: "our top tier customers look forward to the additional comforts of their Business Class seats"

Do us statusless or non-SE peons not deserve the additional comfort of Business Class?!

Other than that, good on you for writing in and hopefully AC will actually follow up with their in-flight team. If SDs are actively refusing to provide these forms for whatever reason that is, in my mind, a disciplinary offense.

/puts on flame suit.
Yes SM. No matter, E35k or any recognition of loyalty at all should get the same treatment when it comes to a paid seat that is defective...mandatory if is a known problem, which it is. The trend of great concern here is that it is harder and harder to get these compensation sheets.
Bohemian1 likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 1:39 pm

I had a similar situation where the SD clearly didn't give a *&%$# about me or the seat and did not offer up a form. Rather than get into a scrap, I sent a pretty pointed email to AC, calling him out by name but being careful to: a) state my side of the story as clearly as possible, b) communicate how it made feel as a customer and about AC's brand in general and c) stating up front (and in closing) exactly what I wanted. It took a while, but I got a response (different enough from yours not to be simply bolierplate) and I got what I wanted.

The inconsistent manner in which AC's onboard staff is dealing with this simply takes a bad situation and makes it worse. Whether it's a distorted view of what customer service truly is, or simply bad communication/training, I do not know. But nor should I care. Last time I checked, I'm the one paying for the service, one which is publicly promoted as an "end-to-end premium travel experience ". Which all too often it is not.

So, like you, on future flights I will be very firm about asking for a comp form onboard and will also take the Ruminant's advice on making it the GA's problem should the seat fail my pre-flight testing during boarding.

If AC won't make the extra effort to serve me, I will make the extra effort to ensure that I am served.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 1:40 pm

Getting one out of some SDs is like pulling hens teeth.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 2:13 pm

Programs: TK *G

Getting one out of some SDs is like pulling hens teeth.
Yea, as if the compensation is coming from their pay checks.
Bohemian1 likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 2:14 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Titanium & LTP, NEXUS
Originally Posted by Bohemian1
I had a similar situation where the SD clearly didn't give a *&%$# about me or the seat and did not offer up a form. Rather than get into a scrap, I sent a pretty pointed email to AC, calling him out by name but being careful to: a) state my side of the story as clearly as possible, b) communicate how it made feel as a customer and about AC's brand in general and c) stating up front (and in closing) exactly what I wanted. It took a while, but I got a response (different enough from yours not to be simply bolierplate) and I got what I wanted.
I had a similar problem on a flight in Nov where my wife's seat deflated (mentioned upthread). The FA dismissed her and said she was playing with the buttons and walked away. I had to walk to the other side of the plane and interrupt the SD to get it fixed, and it was ultimately resolved.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 6:11 pm

Someone pinged me on my somewhat obtuse use of the word "ruminant" above.

Sorry to be have incited a “Dude, Where’s My Cow?” reaction - it’s Friday, it's been a long week not travelling for once and I’m getting bored of using the same words over and again.

My sincere apologies to the Canadian Cow (tm).

While I am at it, my apologies also to the Ghanian Goat, Danish Deer, Andalusian Antelope, Sinaloan Sheep and any other related critters on FT. I cud name more, but I won’t.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 12:50 am

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Decided to cancel my two YYZ-HND bookings and do YYZ-ORD-NRT on ANA. Just not worth the risk, especially when covering a relative to fly J for their first time.
Originally Posted by JordanYVR
I had a similar problem on a flight in Nov where my wife's seat deflated (mentioned upthread). The FA dismissed her and said she was playing with the buttons and walked away.
This is what sealed the deal for me. What a joke.
Plumber and D404 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.