Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Deflategate; new executive pods deflating in-flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 20, 2017, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Argonaut1000
Click here to go to a picture of the White Compensation Form and its stub

View Deflated Seat History Here (Database for submitted occurrences)
Enter New Deflated Seat Occurrence Here (Submit one if you have experienced deflated seat and it will show up in the database above)
----
From post #49 in this thread, here's one potential way to (re)inflate an AC seat:
  • Go the home screen "Your Seat". (find this on the seat side panel; not the main video screen)
    • Hold the top left hand corner "Air Canada" (with AC logo) for 3 seconds. Updated (Apr 9 18): may need to hold for as long as 45 seconds for key pad to appear
      • Dial pad shows up - hit 3-2-1.
        • Press "Reset Lumbar Support"
Note that this method has not met 100% success so YMMV.
A better method is for a crew member to use the reset switch under the seat, on the aisle side.

Compensation offers (green/white sheet completed)
40K AE- Apr 18 (50% back of the J class one way redemption)
2018 Jun - $500 coupon
2018 Sep $1,000 eCoupon or 40K AP (P fare TPAC)
2018 Sep $500 eCoupon (P fare TPAC) (no change on protest- update - 6 months later the $150 was increased to $500 - admitted they had made an error)

Compensation offers (no green/white sheet completed)
100K - May 5 (C$150 eCoupon; was moved to a functioning seat after meal service)
2017 Sept - 8,000 AE miles - reported via complaint web page after realizing it was a faulty seat, not standard discomfort; Asked for return of eUps but they declined.
2017 Nov & 2018 Feb - $500 coupons both times (second time on protest that $500 had been offered the previous time)
2018 Sep. $250 coupon (on a paid J TATL).
2018 Nov - $500 eCoupon (J TATL)

Standard eCoupon compensation offers (no haggling; following a recurring pattern)
~10+ hours: $1000
Long TPAC (TPE-YVR)

~6 to ~10 hours: $500
Short TPAC (NRT-YVR)
TATL
South America: YYZ-GRU

less than ~6 hours: 300
TCON

Have a Service Director (SD) That Is Giving You the Case of the Shrugs? Like the real life version of this ASCII emoji -> Ż\_(ツ)_/Ż ?

No success with the SD and/or crew rectifying your deflated seat and you can't be/aren't accommodated to another J seat? If you asked for a compensation form and the SD says they have no idea what you are talking about, you can use the below picture of the stub portion to help freshen their memory (better than nothing)...

Please note that for the longest time, the "Green Compensation Form" version was used, and there have been recent reports of the "White Compensation Form" replacing the Green version. Reports here have indicated that the two forms are virtually identical except for the colour.
There is now an even newer White Form which explicitly lists "deflated seat" and "deflated seat and fixed", among many other items.

Here is a snapshot of the NEWEST full form (as of August 2019), courtesy of lallied

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31421855-post2093.html
Originally Posted by lallied
Clearly jinxed myself. New form in case hasnt been posted before.

Oops, see it has been. I just didn’t look far enough down ☹️

This is only the stub portion, courtesy of lallied

There’s a main section which the SD fills in and detachable section you get to keep. Each has a reference number. It looks like the green one to me except it’s white.

Example

Mattress pads purchased and listed in this thread

Print Wikipost

Deflategate; new executive pods deflating in-flight

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2018, 6:38 am

Programs: Aeroplan SE 100 IHG Plat Amb Nexus
AC17 Dec29

Another deflated seat on way to Taipai, 6A,. Twice reset to go flat again. This time in middle back section but I'm a side sleeper so it makes for a painful awakening. The fellow behind me in 7A also got a deflated seat. The entertainment system went down but came back on fine after a reset.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 6:51 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..

these were all flat when boarding. Maintenance reset. Deflated
EXACTLY. When boarding. Maintenance was NOT able to reset. We departed as is with an extra pillow which did not help because....

Originally Posted by folkart
Another deflated seat on way to Taipai, 6A,. Twice reset to go flat again. This time in middle back section but I'm a side sleeper so it makes for a painful awakening. The fellow behind me in 7A also got a deflated seat. The entertainment system went down but came back on fine after a reset.
I am also a side-sleeper and as a result of this recent experience, I have another set of bruises.

The seat design was a gimmick and a failure (and those are not even my words nor the words of any other pax), regardless of whether the engineers knew it or not. Maybe it was not tested in a way that would exactly replicate inflight use. None of this matters. The problem surfaced a couple of years ago. The experiences and reports were fewer and nothing was done.

While I and many here recognize the safety testing required for new seat cushions, it doesn't change the fact that of all the other airlines I fly, none of their seats have deflated, nor have any not been able to open and close properly, and all are perfectly flat when opened.

Anyway, waiting for the RCHHMP to trot along and lecture us about some such.
folkart likes this.

Last edited by 24left; Dec 31, 2018 at 6:56 am
Old Dec 31, 2018, 8:17 am

Programs: Free Agent

coming along on our next TPAC... just need to decide which colour compliments the deflate-seat palette best...
canadiancow likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 9:08 am

Programs: AC E75K
Can someone explain to me why some crew are so reluctant to hand out the onboard compensation form?

Case in point: the SD on AC847 on Dec 31 (MUC-YYZ). Ultimately, I got the form, but why make things difficult? At my company, if we fail to deliver on a promised product, we try to go out of our way to apologize and make things right. And many if not most AC crew I've encountered do the same. But every once in a while, it's like pulling teeth. :/
PFT likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 9:28 am

Programs: AC MM+
Originally Posted by capedreamer
Can someone explain to me why some crew are so reluctant to hand out the onboard compensation form?

Case in point: the SD on AC847 on Dec 31 (MUC-YYZ). Ultimately, I got the form, but why make things difficult? At my company, if we fail to deliver on a promised product, we try to go out of our way to apologize and make things right. And many if not most AC crew I've encountered do the same. But every once in a while, it's like pulling teeth. :/
Either lazy SD or corporate policy to not hand out the white comp forms. Pulling teeth is exactly what I'm seeing these days. maybe our resident SD could chime-in on this?
Old Dec 31, 2018, 10:03 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime PE, AC Altitude SE100K-1MM
No different than another thread where AC baggage agents seem so reluctant to provide accurate information regarding delayed baggage compensation.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 11:36 am

Originally Posted by folkart
This must’ve been the flight that I returned on which is interesting because for us it was 8 A and 7 A. So either 8A was empty or they didn’t notice the upper part of the seat was flat. Either way Air Canada clearly knew that that block of seats was deflating. But still carried on & didn’t warn anyone. I guess they’re hoping that people won’t notice

Is it side sleepers who are noticing this more.? It is true that if you want on your side then the upper seats deflation just feels really hard, although the lower seat is really lumpy even if you are on your back. But when you flip on your side it’s extraordinarily painful especially after 30 minutes or so.
folkart likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 11:37 am

Originally Posted by capedreamer

That’s why most of the time I don’t bother having an argument about getting a white slip, and then don’t get compensation, even if I write in
Old Jan 14, 2019, 6:08 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by YVRtoYYZ
AC126 YVR-YYZ C-FIVM FIN 738 on Dec 11 has the backrest of seat 11K deflated. Pump reset has worked thus far but I am not optimistic.

Edit: As expected, it deflated right at the ribs and shoulder. a lovely experience to sleep with.
AC848 same aircraft and seat and still deflated. 1 month and still no fix.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 10:53 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Marriott Titanium
Onboard AC859 and got another deflated seat. FIN 806. Will update the wiki but my God this is ridiculous. Fourth flight in a row with a deflated seat.

Last edited by YVRtoYYZ; Jan 16, 2019 at 11:06 am
Old Jan 16, 2019, 11:14 am

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
Onboard AC859 and got another deflated seat. FIN 806. Will update the wiki but my God this is ridiculous. Fourth flight in a row with a deflated seat.
My last two TPAC trips I was 3 out of 4 deflated!
Old Jan 16, 2019, 12:04 pm

Programs: Aeroplan AA
Originally Posted by Plumber
My last two TPAC trips I was 3 out of 4 deflated!
And yet you both continue to book TPAC on AC. Is there no other carrier flying to Asia? Frankly, if I was AC, I wouldn’t bother to fix them, either. You’ll keep buying fares anyway.
bawm likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by J. Leslie

And yet you both continue to book TPAC on AC. Is there no other carrier flying to Asia? Frankly, if I was AC, I wouldn’t bother to fix them, either. You’ll keep buying fares anyway.
i am shooting 25% overall. I was asking myself that very question last night but all
my stuff was booked a year ago. Is certainly affecting my future plans with other carriers being cheaper as well.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 1:09 pm

Programs: AC MM+
AC 90, Jan 14, FIN 743. Seats 2K, 5K and 5G were not inflating on the ground. J cabin was full so good times were had.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 1:55 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Titanium & LTP, NEXUS
I flew on FIN 853 on 1/15 (AC4 NRT to YVR). My seat was fine, but:
  • 3K was deflated. Overheard crew repeatedly try to reset it. Passenger eventually moved to 3G as flight load was light
  • 1A and 1D were blocked off as "non functioning seats". 2 passengers tried to sit there and were relocated. Not sure if this was a deflation issue or something else.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.