Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Deflategate; new executive pods deflating in-flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 20, 2017, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Argonaut1000
Click here to go to a picture of the White Compensation Form and its stub

View Deflated Seat History Here (Database for submitted occurrences)
Enter New Deflated Seat Occurrence Here (Submit one if you have experienced deflated seat and it will show up in the database above)
----
From post #49 in this thread, here's one potential way to (re)inflate an AC seat:
  • Go the home screen "Your Seat". (find this on the seat side panel; not the main video screen)
    • Hold the top left hand corner "Air Canada" (with AC logo) for 3 seconds. Updated (Apr 9 18): may need to hold for as long as 45 seconds for key pad to appear
      • Dial pad shows up - hit 3-2-1.
        • Press "Reset Lumbar Support"
Note that this method has not met 100% success so YMMV.
A better method is for a crew member to use the reset switch under the seat, on the aisle side.

Compensation offers (green/white sheet completed)
40K AE- Apr 18 (50% back of the J class one way redemption)
2018 Jun - $500 coupon
2018 Sep $1,000 eCoupon or 40K AP (P fare TPAC)
2018 Sep $500 eCoupon (P fare TPAC) (no change on protest- update - 6 months later the $150 was increased to $500 - admitted they had made an error)

Compensation offers (no green/white sheet completed)
100K - May 5 (C$150 eCoupon; was moved to a functioning seat after meal service)
2017 Sept - 8,000 AE miles - reported via complaint web page after realizing it was a faulty seat, not standard discomfort; Asked for return of eUps but they declined.
2017 Nov & 2018 Feb - $500 coupons both times (second time on protest that $500 had been offered the previous time)
2018 Sep. $250 coupon (on a paid J TATL).
2018 Nov - $500 eCoupon (J TATL)

Standard eCoupon compensation offers (no haggling; following a recurring pattern)
~10+ hours: $1000
Long TPAC (TPE-YVR)

~6 to ~10 hours: $500
Short TPAC (NRT-YVR)
TATL
South America: YYZ-GRU

less than ~6 hours: 300
TCON

Have a Service Director (SD) That Is Giving You the Case of the Shrugs? Like the real life version of this ASCII emoji -> ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ?

No success with the SD and/or crew rectifying your deflated seat and you can't be/aren't accommodated to another J seat? If you asked for a compensation form and the SD says they have no idea what you are talking about, you can use the below picture of the stub portion to help freshen their memory (better than nothing)...

Please note that for the longest time, the "Green Compensation Form" version was used, and there have been recent reports of the "White Compensation Form" replacing the Green version. Reports here have indicated that the two forms are virtually identical except for the colour.
There is now an even newer White Form which explicitly lists "deflated seat" and "deflated seat and fixed", among many other items.

Here is a snapshot of the NEWEST full form (as of August 2019), courtesy of lallied

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31421855-post2093.html
Originally Posted by lallied
Clearly jinxed myself. New form in case hasnt been posted before.

Oops, see it has been. I just didn’t look far enough down ☹️

This is only the stub portion, courtesy of lallied

There’s a main section which the SD fills in and detachable section you get to keep. Each has a reference number. It looks like the green one to me except it’s white.

Example

Mattress pads purchased and listed in this thread

Print Wikipost

Deflategate; new executive pods deflating in-flight

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2018, 10:25 pm

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by nexusCFX
I guess it's too much to ask Air Canada to check whether the mechanics of the seat work correctly before a sixteen hour flight.
Do you believe they should run each seat prior to every flight? Or trust that, if it hadn't had a previous issue, that it may be alright?
Old Nov 24, 2018, 10:41 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by YEG_SE4Life
Do you believe they should run each seat prior to every flight? Or trust that, if it hadn't had a previous issue, that it may be alright?
Every seat is fine until it isn't.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 10:59 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Marriott Titanium
Fortunately wasn't my seat. Had to do a full power reset in order to get it reclined; upon trying to get it back into the upright position, the full-power reset wouldn't work. Had to manually toggle it upright.

Heard SD say that the issue had been logged previously and presumably fixed; obviously not. Doesn't look like 10A asked for any comp form nor did SD offer one.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 11:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
I guess it's too much to ask Air Canada to check whether the mechanics of the seat work correctly before a sixteen hour flight.
I assure you that despite our occasional knocking of AC's Dream Cabin J seats that they do try to fix any known issues.
It is very possible, and I have experienced it myself, for example, where I'm on the same exact FIN and Dream Cabin J seat for two separately numbered flights on the same operating day where on the first flight my J seat is just fine and dandy, and then on the next flight the exact same seat starts to act up/deflate. I reported it but also noted to the SD that on the prior flight (managed by a different SD), there were zero problems experienced. This is not necessarily the same as a reclining issue with a J seat, but you get the idea.

Take a look at the AC XM herringbone J seats... they always had reclining issues and quite often had to be reset by crew mid-flight. Quite often there would be no reports of issues until it happens mid-flight for the first time.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 7:57 am

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
Which means it could be fine during a test, and then not on the flight.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 3:57 am

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
Second TPAC in a row with a deflated seat- today on AC 27 - last one was Nov 19 on AC32. Once again the top portion of the seat. I got a Compensation form again.

SD said he is averaging one deflated seat per flight, sometimes two.

Will add add to the spreadsheet when I ever a chance.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 6:11 am

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
Originally Posted by Plumber

SD said he is averaging one deflated seat per flight, sometimes two.

Will add add to the spreadsheet when I ever a chance.
I’m betting it’s more than 2 per flight as many pax don’t complain because they don’t realise it’s broken.
bawm likes this.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 6:29 am

Originally Posted by D582

I’m betting it’s more than 2 per flight as many pax don’t complain because they don’t realise it’s broken.
I have had two this week alone AC18 29th and then 1 on 30th. Reset multiple times, reported to SD, they didn’t offer compensation sheet but have given up asking for compensation sheet as keep having these conversations about not needing immigration form. And, feel like I am asking for something for nothing . But that’s two lost nights sleep,
Old Dec 1, 2018, 6:57 am

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
I have had two this week alone AC18 29th and then 1 on 30th. Reset multiple times, reported to SD, they didn’t offer compensation sheet but have given up asking for compensation sheet as keep having these conversations about not needing immigration form. And, feel like I am asking for something for nothing . But that’s two lost nights sleep,
Why give up asking for the sheet? I’ve made pretty good money from those forms. Also it’s not something for nothing. You paid for a fully inflated seat. You did not receive that.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 7:21 am

Why give up asking for the sheet? I’ve made pretty good money from those forms. Also it’s not something for nothing. You paid for a fully inflated seat. You did not receive that.
Good question. However means have to keep getting up all night and demonstrating is flat (and often SD is on break) and then wait while they reset then get back down and try and sleep and then up again and do it all again. Get no sleep at all. And invariably have to chase SD round to try and get form - never offered except once. I find it embarrassing as clearly AC think people are trying it on. And to be fair was watching another pax on another flight trying to persuade SD and a tech person who came on board was flat when seemingly wasn’t presumably in hopes of comp. After an argument they went away after saying it was as inflated as it ever gets, he seemed fine for the 5hr flight AND the next pax in same seat had no issues on a TPAC (and not a lightweight either) even though I warned him previous pax said was deflating. I am however making sure put on manifest/ report in hopes they get fixed. I’ll write in I guess but they will just say no form no comp.

PS I guess I’M finally deflated by deflategate - I can reset on screen with one eye open and have otherwise given up
Old Dec 1, 2018, 7:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Good question. However means have to keep getting up all night and demonstrating is flat (and often SD is on break) and then wait while they reset then get back down and try and sleep and then up again and do it all again. Get no sleep at all. And invariably have to chase SD round to try and get form - never offered except once. I find it embarrassing as clearly AC think people are trying it on. And to be fair was watching another pax on another flight trying to persuade SD and a tech person who came on board was flat when seemingly wasn’t presumably in hopes of comp. After an argument they went away after saying it was as inflated as it ever gets, he seemed fine for the 5hr flight AND the next pax in same seat had no issues on a TPAC (and not a lightweight either) even though I warned him previous pax said was deflating. I am however making sure put on manifest/ report in hopes they get fixed. I’ll write in I guess but they will just say no form no comp.

PS I guess I’M finally deflated by deflategate - I can reset on screen with one eye open and have otherwise given up
I totally get you. I also gave up on complaining after a certain point during my crazy TPAC and TATL years. Of course, there are those here who will blame us for not complaining. It's our fault that AC has deflated seats because we didn't get them fixed in the early years blah blah. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Old Dec 1, 2018, 8:27 am

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
Not a deflated seat, but last evening exiting a flight someone opened an overhead bin and the bag of props for the safety dance fell on a guy's head, because it had not been properly pushed in to the bin once used. He was clearly hurt and they were smiling at him and gave him a bag of ice for it (which he eagerly used). No offer of a compensation form. Maybe they are told not to offer until demanded.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 11:17 am

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs

I felt the same way about my last TATL flight with a deflated seat.

I'm tired, the SD doesn't really care and all I want to do is get as comfortable as possible. So I pushed until it became apparent that he was more concerned about missing his supper break and then gave up and suffered. But I did complain (at length) online and did get similar comp to what I have received before. I even named the SD, although I am not confident that will have any impact on anything. Like many other aspects of their so-called "Signature" service, mediocrity and inconsistency seem to rule the day here. But at least the promotional materials look nice.

I have been making active decisions to not fly on Air Canada. Like I said in my most recent complaint:

"I know you have a problem, and I know that you know you have a problem. I understand through the grapevine that you and your supplier are trying to fix it. But until you do (and hopefully communicate it to at least your Super Elites), I am actively avoiding AC 777 and 787 metal. "

I have one more TPAC coming up this year and, since I am travelling with three of my colleagues, sadly it make sense for me to join them on some AC flights. But I am not happy about it, and maybe even a little stressed.

But the last time I checked AC does not claim to be a discount carrier, I am the customer here and someone has paid good money for me to sit in that seat. So, I will adopt the ethos of complain early and complain often, if needed.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 1:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond

This.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 2:17 pm

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond

Honest question; do you ask for a complaint sheet if the seat is deflated, but a reset fixes it?

I have not been complaining in that situation (I generally make the SD aware, but I have not been asking for compensation). Should I have been?
DNAwizard likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.