Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Deflategate; new executive pods deflating in-flight

Old Nov 20, 2017, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Argonaut1000
Click here to go to a picture of the White Compensation Form and its stub

View Deflated Seat History Here (Database for submitted occurrences)
Enter New Deflated Seat Occurrence Here (Submit one if you have experienced deflated seat and it will show up in the database above)
----
From post #49 in this thread, here's one potential way to (re)inflate an AC seat:
  • Go the home screen "Your Seat". (find this on the seat side panel; not the main video screen)
    • Hold the top left hand corner "Air Canada" (with AC logo) for 3 seconds. Updated (Apr 9 18): may need to hold for as long as 45 seconds for key pad to appear
      • Dial pad shows up - hit 3-2-1.
        • Press "Reset Lumbar Support"
Note that this method has not met 100% success so YMMV.
A better method is for a crew member to use the reset switch under the seat, on the aisle side.

Compensation offers (green/white sheet completed)
40K AE- Apr 18 (50% back of the J class one way redemption)
2018 Jun - $500 coupon
2018 Sep $1,000 eCoupon or 40K AP (P fare TPAC)
2018 Sep $500 eCoupon (P fare TPAC) (no change on protest- update - 6 months later the $150 was increased to $500 - admitted they had made an error)

Compensation offers (no green/white sheet completed)
100K - May 5 (C$150 eCoupon; was moved to a functioning seat after meal service)
2017 Sept - 8,000 AE miles - reported via complaint web page after realizing it was a faulty seat, not standard discomfort; Asked for return of eUps but they declined.
2017 Nov & 2018 Feb - $500 coupons both times (second time on protest that $500 had been offered the previous time)
2018 Sep. $250 coupon (on a paid J TATL).
2018 Nov - $500 eCoupon (J TATL)

Standard eCoupon compensation offers (no haggling; following a recurring pattern)
~10+ hours: $1000
Long TPAC (TPE-YVR)

~6 to ~10 hours: $500
Short TPAC (NRT-YVR)
TATL
South America: YYZ-GRU

less than ~6 hours: 300
TCON

Have a Service Director (SD) That Is Giving You the Case of the Shrugs? Like the real life version of this ASCII emoji -> Ż\_(ツ)_/Ż ?

No success with the SD and/or crew rectifying your deflated seat and you can't be/aren't accommodated to another J seat? If you asked for a compensation form and the SD says they have no idea what you are talking about, you can use the below picture of the stub portion to help freshen their memory (better than nothing)...

Please note that for the longest time, the "Green Compensation Form" version was used, and there have been recent reports of the "White Compensation Form" replacing the Green version. Reports here have indicated that the two forms are virtually identical except for the colour.
There is now an even newer White Form which explicitly lists "deflated seat" and "deflated seat and fixed", among many other items.

Here is a snapshot of the NEWEST full form (as of August 2019), courtesy of lallied

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31421855-post2093.html
Originally Posted by lallied
Clearly jinxed myself. New form in case hasnt been posted before.

Oops, see it has been. I just didn’t look far enough down ☹️

This is only the stub portion, courtesy of lallied

There’s a main section which the SD fills in and detachable section you get to keep. Each has a reference number. It looks like the green one to me except it’s white.

Example

Mattress pads purchased and listed in this thread

Print Wikipost

Deflategate; new executive pods deflating in-flight

Old Oct 21, 2018, 7:22 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
I guess in our perfect (but entitled) world, the comp offered if they can't reseat us should closer to the differential between paid J and paid PY. But unlikely to happen anytime soon with a chronic problem that AC is abundantly aware of.

I just wish they communicated with their customer base, or at least the FAs, much more consistently and transparently. Treat us like valued customers, even if they do have a problem delivering what they promise.
capedreamer likes this.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 8:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Bohemian1
I guess in our perfect (but entitled) world, the comp offered if they can't reseat us should closer to the differential between paid J and paid PY. But unlikely to happen anytime soon with a chronic problem that AC is abundantly aware of.

I just wish they communicated with their customer base, or at least the FAs, much more consistently and transparently. Treat us like valued customers, even if they do have a problem delivering what they promise.
So if PY costs more than J on that flight, you should pay them?
Old Oct 21, 2018, 8:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson
Originally Posted by canadiancow
S/he should donate the difference to charity (but not AC, because they are not a charity).
canadiancow likes this.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 8:17 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Like I said "perfect" (not realistic) and "entitled (very realistic, at least as applies to me).

But the communication comment stands. And if all the FAs have been informed of the problem, they hide it well.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 10:25 pm

Programs: E35K, FPC Platinum
Does anyone know what happens to the bumped pax when the cabin is full? Do they get a sheet of their own or some other form of compensation? Esp e-ups back or extra if it was upgrade seat?
Old Oct 21, 2018, 11:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson
Originally Posted by YVRYEGYVR
Does anyone know what happens to the bumped pax when the cabin is full? Do they get a sheet of their own or some other form of compensation? Esp e-ups back or extra if it was upgrade seat?
I am assuming it would be the same/similar to when a J pax gets bumped down due to something like an aircraft change... if they eUpped, then no compensation and eUps used back into account and that's about it.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 5:00 am

Originally Posted by ridefar
I am sure as awareness goes up, so does AC's attempt to mitigate abuse. You may be right, thinking back, my claims without form were quite a while ago. Lately with form my claims have been dealt with very quickly, but I definitely got the impression they were checking service logs and Fin #s and such before awarding compensation. Bah. I have always felt I got something fair. But I have never been absolutely completely without options on paid J/C/P/Z/D on a TATL or TPAC fare. I have to say that if I was, the $500 that seems to be AC's latest standard would be woefully inadequate. (Though, to be fair, I am often paying $6k++ for a return TATL fare. And what has been missing in the discussion of compensation is the amount of the original fare; not just fare class but actual amount. I can get a TATL fare for $4k or $12k and I wouldn't expect compensation to be equal for both.)
I have just had two in a row where there were no options other than multiple blankets. And was told quite firmly no compensation without a white form when wrote in. Which is tantamount to being accused of fraud really. And when I asked to discuss with manager/supervisor was told no, (basically suck it up). Each time THIS time the really great crew had made sure I had said white slip to wave (but was still told to wait for another dept to sort out in 30 days.). In the past have had to pester crew to get a form even when they had reset my seat multiple times (including to SYD, and didn’t even both trying to claim for that) . I don’t have the time or energy to keep track of all emails and slips for prolonged periods of time. It’s not worth what’s often < 6 % of the cost of flights. Which makes you think. I do understand that of late there may have been some passengers who sought out known seats, or made an unjustifiable claim, but it still is painful in all sorts of ways to a) sit on a deflated seat of 9 + hours and b] receive emails suggesting malfeasance. Or, it is for me. You guys may have thicker skins.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 5:28 am

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
I have had two incidents where I did not complete the compensation form, but still received compensation. Took a couple of back and forth emails.

Now, I allow for one reset (which ultimately will fail), and then demand the form.
canadiancow and DNAwizard like this.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 5:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have just had two in a row where there were no options other than multiple blankets. And was told quite firmly no compensation without a white form when wrote in. Which is tantamount to being accused of fraud really. And when I asked to discuss with manager/supervisor was told no, (basically suck it up).
Are you SE, by chance? Anecdotally, those who have reported receiving compensation here so far without a white/green form have been SE (some have explicitly acknowledged being SE, some I know are SE, and some I deduced from their "Programs" list, but that doesn't necessarily mean they have said status, and it's possible that I might have missed a post/poster where none of this applies but they received compensation without a form). Of course, this could just be pure coincidence.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 7:05 am

Programs: AC S100K 2MM, SPG Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I've just returned from Hong Kong and had issues on both legs. October 8th, flight 015, fin 704 and seat 11G. White form filled out after I completed 5 resets.
October 19th on 016 it was fin 702 and seat 6A. I did roughly 10 resets myself - just the back cushion, seat cushion itself was fine. I asked SD to log the issue
and I seriously doubt that she did. I used the web complaint form on Oct 20th, heard back within 24 hours with an offer of $1000 e-credit. Acceptable for me as
that was about 40% of the value of that leg. I am SE, but even then was impressed with the quick reply. And of course still waiting on the white form response.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 8:25 am

Originally Posted by yyznomad
Are you SE, by chance? Anecdotally, those who have reported receiving compensation here so far without a white/green form have been SE (some have explicitly acknowledged being SE, some I know are SE, and some I deduced from their "Programs" list, but that doesn't necessarily mean they have said status, and it's possible that I might have missed a post/poster where none of this applies but they received compensation without a form). Of course, this could just be pure coincidence.
SE2MM. I think it was the particular agent who I had three times in a row. Other interactions fine but have noticed now asking each time for the form. Maybe they are concerned about double dipping but have never had compensation both from writing in and follow up from white form SD has sent in.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

SE2MM. I think it was the particular agent who I had three times in a row. Other interactions fine but have noticed now asking each time for the form. Maybe they are concerned about double dipping but have never had compensation both from writing in and follow up from white form SD has sent in.
Ok, good to know. So it is true YMMV and nothing to do with being SE w.r.t. having no form and getting compensation.
Out of curiosity, did you call at night when you received the same agent three times in a row?
Old Oct 22, 2018, 9:08 am

Programs: AC; Fairmont Plat; Accor Plat; SPG Plat, BA Gold; A3*G; AB Gold;
Have any non-SEs here complained without a form filled out and received compensation?
I have once, and am in the process of a second such complaint.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jantaoYVR
I have once, and am in the process of a second such complaint.
Good to know, thanks.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 10:26 am

Ok, good to know. So it is true YMMV and nothing to do with being SE w.r.t. having no form and getting compensation.
Out of curiosity, did you call at night when you received the same agent three times in a row?
Wrote in. Maybe that’s the mistake. It seemed all emails being sent to this person for a while

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.