Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Deflategate; new executive pods deflating in-flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 20, 2017, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Argonaut1000
Click here to go to a picture of the White Compensation Form and its stub

View Deflated Seat History Here (Database for submitted occurrences)
Enter New Deflated Seat Occurrence Here (Submit one if you have experienced deflated seat and it will show up in the database above)
----
From post #49 in this thread, here's one potential way to (re)inflate an AC seat:
  • Go the home screen "Your Seat". (find this on the seat side panel; not the main video screen)
    • Hold the top left hand corner "Air Canada" (with AC logo) for 3 seconds. Updated (Apr 9 18): may need to hold for as long as 45 seconds for key pad to appear
      • Dial pad shows up - hit 3-2-1.
        • Press "Reset Lumbar Support"
Note that this method has not met 100% success so YMMV.
A better method is for a crew member to use the reset switch under the seat, on the aisle side.

Compensation offers (green/white sheet completed)
40K AE- Apr 18 (50% back of the J class one way redemption)
2018 Jun - $500 coupon
2018 Sep $1,000 eCoupon or 40K AP (P fare TPAC)
2018 Sep $500 eCoupon (P fare TPAC) (no change on protest- update - 6 months later the $150 was increased to $500 - admitted they had made an error)

Compensation offers (no green/white sheet completed)
100K - May 5 (C$150 eCoupon; was moved to a functioning seat after meal service)
2017 Sept - 8,000 AE miles - reported via complaint web page after realizing it was a faulty seat, not standard discomfort; Asked for return of eUps but they declined.
2017 Nov & 2018 Feb - $500 coupons both times (second time on protest that $500 had been offered the previous time)
2018 Sep. $250 coupon (on a paid J TATL).
2018 Nov - $500 eCoupon (J TATL)

Standard eCoupon compensation offers (no haggling; following a recurring pattern)
~10+ hours: $1000
Long TPAC (TPE-YVR)

~6 to ~10 hours: $500
Short TPAC (NRT-YVR)
TATL
South America: YYZ-GRU

less than ~6 hours: 300
TCON

Have a Service Director (SD) That Is Giving You the Case of the Shrugs? Like the real life version of this ASCII emoji -> Ż\_(ツ)_/Ż ?

No success with the SD and/or crew rectifying your deflated seat and you can't be/aren't accommodated to another J seat? If you asked for a compensation form and the SD says they have no idea what you are talking about, you can use the below picture of the stub portion to help freshen their memory (better than nothing)...

Please note that for the longest time, the "Green Compensation Form" version was used, and there have been recent reports of the "White Compensation Form" replacing the Green version. Reports here have indicated that the two forms are virtually identical except for the colour.
There is now an even newer White Form which explicitly lists "deflated seat" and "deflated seat and fixed", among many other items.

Here is a snapshot of the NEWEST full form (as of August 2019), courtesy of lallied

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31421855-post2093.html
Originally Posted by lallied
Clearly jinxed myself. New form in case hasnt been posted before.

Oops, see it has been. I just didn’t look far enough down ☹️

This is only the stub portion, courtesy of lallied

There’s a main section which the SD fills in and detachable section you get to keep. Each has a reference number. It looks like the green one to me except it’s white.

Example

Mattress pads purchased and listed in this thread

Print Wikipost

Deflategate; new executive pods deflating in-flight

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2018, 2:19 am

Programs: AC E35K
Originally Posted by chazbag
I had a partially deflated seat on an TATL the other day. FAs re-inflated 3 times, then moved me to the only other open J seat to sleep but it also promptly deflated. The crew were amazing (possibly the best AC crew I've ever had) and were obviously pretty embarrassed by the situation and so apologetic.

Looking at the data points on here it looks like I'll likely be offered around 20,000 miles in compensation. Is there any point in rejecting their first offer and asking for more? In the past I've found AC to be pretty generous with compensation and I've not had to push back but it was an expensive flight and 20,000 seems like not enough.
Update on this. Didn't hear after a couple of weeks so followed up through the complaints webpage. No contact until three days ago (about five weeks after the flight) where 20,000 miles or $500 credit offered. Asked for that amount to be increased because of the extremely long wait time for follow-up and request was denied. Most annoying thing is the customer service person said the amount was factoring in the delay in replying; clearly not true given that the compensation seems to be the standard for a TATL (flight was YYZ -> LHR).
Old Oct 20, 2018, 4:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by balexis
2018-10-18 AC865 (LHR-YUL) Seat 8G
Felt a tiny bit deflated when I boarded, 3-2-1 put it back to normal. then, deflation would occur slowly, would feel the bottom of the seat after 15-20 minutes.
Waiting for SD to reset the seat, if it still doesn"t work, will have me switch seat with an AC employee sitting in a working J seat. But he is sure taking his time, we're already mid-flight...
EDIT: reset works for now. compensation form is now a full page on which you need to fill in your personal details. SD also fills part about the problem, and I can choose future travel credit or AE credit. Let's wait...
C-FIVS
balexis likes this.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 7:43 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Does anyone else think it's a bit rude to offer compensation only in the form of Air Canada pseudo currency (whether eCoupon or Aeroplan miles) when failing to provide the original service - a working seat - that the passenger paid real currency for? It's fine by me to offer AC coupons for those who want them - e.g. $500 cash or $600 eCoupon, your choice - but you shouldn't have to patronize Air Canada again to get compensated for not receiving what you originally paid for.
24left and smallmj like this.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by eigenvector
Does anyone else think it's a bit rude to offer compensation only in the form of Air Canada pseudo currency (whether eCoupon or Aeroplan miles) when failing to provide the original service - a working seat - that the passenger paid real currency for? It's fine by me to offer AC coupons for those who want them - e.g. $500 cash or $600 eCoupon, your choice - but you shouldn't have to patronize Air Canada again to get compensated for not receiving what you originally paid for.
Yes it is, but AC can get away w/ it because theyre still filling the J seats and making $$$. I've decided to vote w/ my wallet and avoid AC because of this, this is the only reason to make AC change.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 10:50 am

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
Well said.

Originally Posted by eigenvector
If we look at the thread, and review other blogs, we see that;
1. The problem dates back at least 2 years if not more. (There were also other issues that occurred at the same time like the cracked veneers on tray tables.)
2. We have been documenting the issue on FT for almost a year.
3. When the defect manifests itself, the Airline takes weeks if not months to respond to the customer complaint, providing a "tied" compensation offer, instead of compensation reflective of the actual purchase cost. The result being that the injured party is forced to transact with Air Canada again in order to receive compensation.

Based on the aforementioned, the defect has been publicly demonstrated/illustrated for over a year and Air Canada has been receiving complaints for over a year. The complaints are numerous.

I have not seen any public statement from Air Canada on the issue, nor has Air Canada provided a warning at the time of airfare purchase that its seats are subject to a known, existing defect. I do not believe that Air Canada has released information at its annual meetings that details the cost of remediation (i.e. repair/replacement of the seats), the extent/nature of the problem, the number of reported events and the cost of the short term compensation.)

There can be no doubt that Air Canada is aware of the defect. When a person or a company is aware of a chronic, persistent defect likely to cause damage, I believe that there is an obligation to warn of the defect. The failure to do so, IMO is an indication of bad faith dealing. I also believe that it is bad faith to force the injured party to accept compensation that is tied to future purchase of an Air Canada product.

It was previously asked if this type of conduct would be class action material. I believe that it would. Air Canada has a moral obligation to warn its customers that its seats are defective. Whether or not there is a legal obligation, will be up to the court to decide.

Originally Posted by phdtraveller
Yes it is, but AC can get away w/ it because theyre still filling the J seats and making $$$. I've decided to vote w/ my wallet and avoid AC because of this, this is the only reason to make AC change.
You are not alone. After 8 weeks+ of waiting for a response from Air Canada on my seat defect issue, I said screw it and transacted with EVA. At least their seats work and I am not wedged under a poorly designed tray/seat configuration. I also have a little shrine erected at home to West Jet and I say a prayer before the alter of a hockey puck and stubby beer bottle that West Jet enters the TPAC market.
s_yvr, wrp96, 24left and 1 others like this.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 2:49 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Speaking of wallets, I could have flown AC to Tokyo last week but took NH instead.

While I like their meals more and landing at HND is generally convenient, the ANA J hard product is not as good as AC IMHO. Except I don't have to worry about deflated seats.

A dead heat on fare price made this a very easy call.
24left likes this.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 3:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Bohemian1
Speaking of wallets, I could have flown AC to Tokyo last week but took NH instead.

While I like their meals more and landing at HND is generally convenient, the ANA J hard product is not as good as AC IMHO. Except I don't have to worry about deflated seats.

A dead heat on fare price made this a very easy call.
That sounds like you would favor AC but for deflategate.

In that case, as a SE in paid J, are you really concerned?

I don't think I've ever had a seat deflate mid-flight that was not deflated at time of boarding.

Mr. Bovine recently found one of these, and I told him he should try to get it rectified before the door closes (all seats were full, but there were gate upgrades), but he allowed for the reset. Which subsequently failed, as expected.

Had he pushed, I'm quite confident the last upgrade would have been told "you can have a defective seat, or you can move back to your original seat and get a refund of the credits". And Mr. Bovine would have had a working seat.

It's a little more challenging when you're traveling with someone, but on my own, I have no issues forcing them to move me. But that really only works when you're paid J and there were gate upgrades.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 3:09 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by canadiancow
That sounds like you would favor AC but for deflategate.

In that case, as a SE in paid J, are you really concerned?
Yeah, I am concerned.

I've had the deflated seat with no option to move because of full J. Full PY even. So yeah, as someone who does mostly TPAC and TATL for business, I do get a little stressed. I may fly on OPM, but it's my butt and I'm the one who gets paid to be functional when I arrive.

So if it comes down to a decent *A J versus deflatable AC 777/78 Signature Service, I'll continue to seriously consider the other guys. At least until I stop seeing news posts on this thread.
capedreamer and 24left like this.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by Bohemian1
Yeah, I am concerned.

I've had the deflated seat with no option to move because of full J. Full PY even. So yeah, as someone who does mostly TPAC and TATL for business, I do get a little stressed. I may fly on OPM, but it's my butt and I'm the one who gets paid to be functional when I arrive.

So if it comes down to a decent *A J versus deflatable AC 777/78 Signature Service, I'll continue to seriously consider the other guys. At least until I stop seeing news posts on this thread.
I always test as soon as I board. At least 75% of time deflated thereafter. My biggest issue is having to de-seat someone 2hrs into an overnight when they are asleep. But if you don’t make a fuss you neither sleep nor get compensation. Because without a white slip customer service refuses compensation - presumably you are making it up.
D582, Bohemian1, 24left and 1 others like this.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 4:58 pm

Programs: AC E75K
...but on my own, I have no issues forcing them to move me...
Be that as it may, it's ridiculous that "will I be able to make enough of a fuss to get them to move me into a functioning J seat (and in the process potentially having someone else offloaded)?" even has to enter one's mental calculus. Just unnecessary stress.

100% with @Bohemian1 on this one.
lallied and canadiancow like this.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 5:09 pm

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
I always test as soon as I board. At least 75% of time deflated thereafter. My biggest issue is having to de-seat someone 2hrs into an overnight when they are asleep. But if you don’t make a fuss you neither sleep nor get compensation. Because without a white slip customer service refuses compensation - presumably you are making it up.
That is not true. It may be mostly true, but I have received compensation when I didn't have a white/green sheet.

I don't recommend trying it (why not just fill out the sheet) and I don't recommend it is as strategy, but you can get compensation even without. Maybe I am just lucky.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by ridefar
That is not true. It may be mostly true, but I have received compensation when I didn't have a white/green sheet.

I don't recommend trying it (why not just fill out the sheet) and I don't recommend it is as strategy, but you can get compensation even without. Maybe I am just lucky.
Sequence is sorry, no compensation, then argue, get $250. Unless have white sheet. When get $500. Not all crews offer automatically and have had to ask a few times esp on short overnight TATLs when crew busy. And gave up once as landing . It’s all too much hassle when one has paid 7K for a deflated TATL seat and no sleep
capedreamer and 24left like this.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 5:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ridefar

The two times I had an issue, I was not offered a form, I did not ask for a form, but I had no trouble getting compensation.

However, that was before this thread existed, so it was less publicized, so also less likely someone would try to abuse it.
ridefar likes this.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Have any non-SEs here complained without a form filled out and received compensation?
Old Oct 21, 2018, 6:21 pm

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
The two times I had an issue, I was not offered a form, I did not ask for a form, but I had no trouble getting compensation.

However, that was before this thread existed, so it was less publicized, so also less likely someone would try to abuse it.
I am sure as awareness goes up, so does AC's attempt to mitigate abuse. You may be right, thinking back, my claims without form were quite a while ago. Lately with form my claims have been dealt with very quickly, but I definitely got the impression they were checking service logs and Fin #s and such before awarding compensation. Bah. I have always felt I got something fair. But I have never been absolutely completely without options on paid J/C/P/Z/D on a TATL or TPAC fare. I have to say that if I was, the $500 that seems to be AC's latest standard would be woefully inadequate. (Though, to be fair, I am often paying $6k++ for a return TATL fare. And what has been missing in the discussion of compensation is the amount of the original fare; not just fare class but actual amount. I can get a TATL fare for $4k or $12k and I wouldn't expect compensation to be equal for both.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.