Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Deflategate; new executive pods deflating in-flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 20, 2017, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Argonaut1000
Click here to go to a picture of the White Compensation Form and its stub

View Deflated Seat History Here (Database for submitted occurrences)
Enter New Deflated Seat Occurrence Here (Submit one if you have experienced deflated seat and it will show up in the database above)
----
From post #49 in this thread, here's one potential way to (re)inflate an AC seat:
  • Go the home screen "Your Seat". (find this on the seat side panel; not the main video screen)
    • Hold the top left hand corner "Air Canada" (with AC logo) for 3 seconds. Updated (Apr 9 18): may need to hold for as long as 45 seconds for key pad to appear
      • Dial pad shows up - hit 3-2-1.
        • Press "Reset Lumbar Support"
Note that this method has not met 100% success so YMMV.
A better method is for a crew member to use the reset switch under the seat, on the aisle side.

Compensation offers (green/white sheet completed)
40K AE- Apr 18 (50% back of the J class one way redemption)
2018 Jun - $500 coupon
2018 Sep $1,000 eCoupon or 40K AP (P fare TPAC)
2018 Sep $500 eCoupon (P fare TPAC) (no change on protest- update - 6 months later the $150 was increased to $500 - admitted they had made an error)

Compensation offers (no green/white sheet completed)
100K - May 5 (C$150 eCoupon; was moved to a functioning seat after meal service)
2017 Sept - 8,000 AE miles - reported via complaint web page after realizing it was a faulty seat, not standard discomfort; Asked for return of eUps but they declined.
2017 Nov & 2018 Feb - $500 coupons both times (second time on protest that $500 had been offered the previous time)
2018 Sep. $250 coupon (on a paid J TATL).
2018 Nov - $500 eCoupon (J TATL)

Standard eCoupon compensation offers (no haggling; following a recurring pattern)
~10+ hours: $1000
Long TPAC (TPE-YVR)

~6 to ~10 hours: $500
Short TPAC (NRT-YVR)
TATL
South America: YYZ-GRU

less than ~6 hours: 300
TCON

Have a Service Director (SD) That Is Giving You the Case of the Shrugs? Like the real life version of this ASCII emoji -> Ż\_(ツ)_/Ż ?

No success with the SD and/or crew rectifying your deflated seat and you can't be/aren't accommodated to another J seat? If you asked for a compensation form and the SD says they have no idea what you are talking about, you can use the below picture of the stub portion to help freshen their memory (better than nothing)...

Please note that for the longest time, the "Green Compensation Form" version was used, and there have been recent reports of the "White Compensation Form" replacing the Green version. Reports here have indicated that the two forms are virtually identical except for the colour.
There is now an even newer White Form which explicitly lists "deflated seat" and "deflated seat and fixed", among many other items.

Here is a snapshot of the NEWEST full form (as of August 2019), courtesy of lallied

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31421855-post2093.html
Originally Posted by lallied
Clearly jinxed myself. New form in case hasnt been posted before.

Oops, see it has been. I just didn’t look far enough down ☹️

This is only the stub portion, courtesy of lallied

Originally Posted by lallied

There’s a main section which the SD fills in and detachable section you get to keep. Each has a reference number. It looks like the green one to me except it’s white.

Example

Mattress pads purchased and listed in this thread

Print Wikipost

Deflategate; new executive pods deflating in-flight

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2018, 12:57 pm

Programs: AC E75K
Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer
What are the advantages to playing AC's Lumbar Lottery when nonstop and other Star one-stop options exist on the SFO-DXB route? Is it that large a difference in availability, price or timing?
@24left named a number of good reasons, but AQM earning and eUp opportunities are the major ones for me.

On this particular trip, I ended up sitting in J both ways.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 2:53 pm

Programs: E35K
Just to add another data point: YVR-YYZ in July offered $1,000 E-coupon or 40,000 aeroplan points.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 4:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
What are the advantages to playing AC's Lumbar Lottery when nonstop and other Star one-stop options exist on the SFO-DXB route? Is it that large a difference in availability, price or timing?
Originally Posted by capedreamer
@24left named a number of good reasons, but AQM earning and eUp opportunities are the major ones for me.

On this particular trip, I ended up sitting in J both ways.
Exactly. My next international trip certainly isn't most conveniently operated by AC, but if I fly AC, there's a fairly reasonable chance I'll sit in J both ways, and if I fly any other airline, there's an almost 100% chance that I won't.

Isn't that the whole point of loyalty programs? Give us your business and we'll reward you?
Old Sep 17, 2018, 5:10 pm

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Originally Posted by capedreamer
AQM earning and eUp opportunities are the major ones for me.
Makes sense, thank you, and of course I'm not sure if you're a Cdn expat living in SFO, or if many of your destinations include Canada, which would explain the affinity towards AC.

Originally Posted by canadian cow
Isn't that the whole point of loyalty programs? Give us your business and we'll reward you?
Well, yes, but the reasonable likelihood of 12 hours sitting on a thin t-shirt over a wooden park bench is not the type of reward I'd be too keen on, especially given the well-padded options available from SFO.

I guess I'm just surprised* that a year into this debacle, AC hasn't yet adequately addressed the problem.

*no, I'm not.
bawm and Queen B like this.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 5:29 pm

Programs: AC E75K
Makes sense, thank you, and of course I'm not sure if you're a Cdn expat living in SFO, or if many of your destinations include Canada, which would explain the affinity towards AC.
I am indeed Canadian and my AC affinity originates from my Canada-based days. Could / should I switch over to UA? Maybe. But parting with the lifetime status miles I've earned (even if nowhere close to million mile status), the lack of inter-alliance status matching, and uncertainty regarding my long-term future residence has kept me with AC thus far.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 1:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
AmericanBovine is currently deflated on 738, fin 703, seat 1G.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by canadiancow
AmericanBovine is currently deflated on 738, fin 703, seat 1G.
I think you should get off your high horse and let your fellow cow ride in your saddle.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 2:56 pm

The software reset is in the wiki, I read also about the reset button on the aisle. Is it easy to find this button? Are the FAs aware for the most part?

Flying to PEK soon so hoping for the best.

Thanks.

Last edited by akhenaton; Sep 25, 2018 at 3:32 pm
Old Sep 25, 2018, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by akhenaton
The software reset is in the wiki, I read also about a reset button on the aisle. Is it easy to find this button? Are the FAs aware for the most part?

Flying to PEK soon so hoping for the best.

Thanks.
Yes, the aisle reset button is known to the SDs for sure. IIRC, it is near or at where the little dim blue-ish LED light near the bottom ridge of your seat's sidewall along the aisle. I'm sure one of our resident SDs/FAs can clarify this.
The wiki reset wiki trick is less known by SDs, from my experience.
D582 and canadiancow like this.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 7:07 pm

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
Originally Posted by yyznomad
Yes, the aisle reset button is known to the SDs for sure. IIRC, it is near or at where the little dim blue-ish LED light near the bottom ridge of your seat's sidewall along the aisle. I'm sure one of our resident SDs/FAs can clarify this.
The wiki reset wiki trick is less known by SDs, from my experience.
In my experience, both resets have been equally useless. Seat still deflates 20-40 min later.
capedreamer and canadiancow like this.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 7:43 pm

Once I hit reset for about the 10th time, I noticed the pump just stayed on for the last hour which was only slightly less annoying than a flat seat. I wondered if it would burn out at some point.

I'm sure they will remove the reset feature from public consumption soon.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 8:01 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
Isn't it about time that Air Canada warned consumers that its seats are defective? This is a longstanding issue that the airline has yet to remedy. There comes a point when the airline is no longer a victim of the defect, but is acting in bad faith when it continues to sell a defective product and then intentionally delays responding to the claims of injured parties arising from the airline's failure to deliver the paid for service.
D582, capedreamer, wrp96 and 1 others like this.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 8:07 pm

You might be onto something... a class action?
Old Sep 26, 2018, 1:02 am

Programs: AC E35K
Have people experienced delays in receiving compensation with this issue? I flew a bit over two weeks ago and haven't heard / received anything despite filling in the slip on the flight with the SD. Followed up through the customer service email a couple days ago but still radio silence...
Old Sep 26, 2018, 2:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chazbag
Have people experienced delays in receiving compensation with this issue? I flew a bit over two weeks ago and haven't heard / received anything despite filling in the slip on the flight with the SD. Followed up through the customer service email a couple days ago but still radio silence...
From my own personal experience with the "slips" and from anecdotal posts in this forum, it takes around 6 to 8 weeks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.