Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Deflategate; new executive pods deflating in-flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 20, 2017, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Argonaut1000
Click here to go to a picture of the White Compensation Form and its stub

View Deflated Seat History Here (Database for submitted occurrences)
Enter New Deflated Seat Occurrence Here (Submit one if you have experienced deflated seat and it will show up in the database above)
----
From post #49 in this thread, here's one potential way to (re)inflate an AC seat:
  • Go the home screen "Your Seat". (find this on the seat side panel; not the main video screen)
    • Hold the top left hand corner "Air Canada" (with AC logo) for 3 seconds. Updated (Apr 9 18): may need to hold for as long as 45 seconds for key pad to appear
      • Dial pad shows up - hit 3-2-1.
        • Press "Reset Lumbar Support"
Note that this method has not met 100% success so YMMV.
A better method is for a crew member to use the reset switch under the seat, on the aisle side.

Compensation offers (green/white sheet completed)
40K AE- Apr 18 (50% back of the J class one way redemption)
2018 Jun - $500 coupon
2018 Sep $1,000 eCoupon or 40K AP (P fare TPAC)
2018 Sep $500 eCoupon (P fare TPAC) (no change on protest- update - 6 months later the $150 was increased to $500 - admitted they had made an error)

Compensation offers (no green/white sheet completed)
100K - May 5 (C$150 eCoupon; was moved to a functioning seat after meal service)
2017 Sept - 8,000 AE miles - reported via complaint web page after realizing it was a faulty seat, not standard discomfort; Asked for return of eUps but they declined.
2017 Nov & 2018 Feb - $500 coupons both times (second time on protest that $500 had been offered the previous time)
2018 Sep. $250 coupon (on a paid J TATL).
2018 Nov - $500 eCoupon (J TATL)

Standard eCoupon compensation offers (no haggling; following a recurring pattern)
~10+ hours: $1000
Long TPAC (TPE-YVR)

~6 to ~10 hours: $500
Short TPAC (NRT-YVR)
TATL
South America: YYZ-GRU

less than ~6 hours: 300
TCON

Have a Service Director (SD) That Is Giving You the Case of the Shrugs? Like the real life version of this ASCII emoji -> Ż\_(ツ)_/Ż ?

No success with the SD and/or crew rectifying your deflated seat and you can't be/aren't accommodated to another J seat? If you asked for a compensation form and the SD says they have no idea what you are talking about, you can use the below picture of the stub portion to help freshen their memory (better than nothing)...

Please note that for the longest time, the "Green Compensation Form" version was used, and there have been recent reports of the "White Compensation Form" replacing the Green version. Reports here have indicated that the two forms are virtually identical except for the colour.
There is now an even newer White Form which explicitly lists "deflated seat" and "deflated seat and fixed", among many other items.

Here is a snapshot of the NEWEST full form (as of August 2019), courtesy of lallied

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31421855-post2093.html
Originally Posted by lallied
Clearly jinxed myself. New form in case hasnt been posted before.

Oops, see it has been. I just didn’t look far enough down ☹️

This is only the stub portion, courtesy of lallied

Originally Posted by lallied

There’s a main section which the SD fills in and detachable section you get to keep. Each has a reference number. It looks like the green one to me except it’s white.

Example

Mattress pads purchased and listed in this thread

Print Wikipost

Deflategate; new executive pods deflating in-flight

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2018, 11:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jc94
Welcome back. I’ve never even heard of a 30% off, thought they topped out at 25%. I’d probably take the 40k miles unless we panning a major AC J trip with my own $ though.
There are 100% off coupon codes. There are even 100% off coupon codes with the addition that the taxes/fees are paid by AC (i.e. it literally costs you $0).

I don't think they go above that though
Old Sep 7, 2018, 12:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
I was looking for a video on the AC YouTube page and stumbled upon this one with Boeing designers etc talking about the seat.

Quote: "Glenn Johnson, Director of Advanced Design Group at B/E Aerospace walks us through why Air Canada's Executive Pods are some of the most advanced passenger aircraft seats flying today."

Hmmmmm. Well.....

Old Sep 7, 2018, 12:06 pm

Programs: Free Agent
I remain grateful to whoever shared the 're-inflate' hack... wonder if "Glenn Johnson, Director of Advanced Design Group at B/E Aerospace" has ever had to use it
wrp96 and Queen B like this.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 3:02 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Had this happen to me on AC788 on Sept 2. Was not impressed to find the seat back totally deflated on a redeye flight with a full J cabin before we even took off. SD tried to re-inflate with the aisle switch but it deflated again 20min later. Ended up just piling on the mattress pad and blanket to make the seat usable, but if this happened to me on a TPAC flight I would have lost my mind.

Got a comp form; it's now white apparently. I also wrote in to aircanada.com/customerrelations on Sept 4 to note that I was not impressed with the issue but that the crew was very apologetic and I appreciated their helpful service and attention. Anyone know how long it typically takes to receive some kind of compensation? Not sure if I should expect any response to my feedback; haven't received any so far.

Last edited by nexusCFX; Sep 8, 2018 at 3:07 pm
Old Sep 8, 2018, 3:12 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Originally Posted by canolakid
I remain grateful to whoever shared the 're-inflate' hack... wonder if "Glenn Johnson, Director of Advanced Design Group at B/E Aerospace" has ever had to use it
I think it was me way back in the day when the 787 just started operating.for a few months and I learnt it on a TPAC. But the thanks should go to the SD who explained what was to be done.
canolakid likes this.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 3:14 pm

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by nexusCFX
Had this happen to me on AC788 on Sept 2. Was not impressed to find the seat back totally deflated on a redeye flight with a full J cabin before we even took off. SD tried to re-inflate with the aisle switch but it deflated again 20min later. Ended up just piling on the mattress pad and blanket to make the seat usable, but if this happened to me on a TPAC flight I would have lost my mind.

Got a comp form; it's now white apparently. I also wrote in to aircanada.com/customerrelations on Sept 4 to note that I was not impressed with the issue but that the crew was very apologetic and I appreciated their helpful service and attention. Anyone know how long it typically takes to receive some kind of compensation? Not sure if I should expect any response to my feedback; haven't received any so far.
Usually one to two weeks. I think because they offer significant compensation, they actually verify the complaint is valid. Although why they don't fix the F5cking problem is beyond me.
wrp96 and Queen B like this.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 3:47 pm

Programs: AC SE, UA, National Exec Elite, Nexus, GE
Originally Posted by ridefar
Usually one to two weeks. I think because they offer significant compensation, they actually verify the complaint is valid. Although why they don't fix the F5cking problem is beyond me.
People are still buying AC J fares; even if they don't, others will upgrade using eUp/co-pay/bids/LMU and be happy. First time upgrades won't even notice the difference and will continue to expect the same quality until they experience something better.

In short, they won't have incentives to really fix the problems until the financial losses arising from such exceeds millions of dollars on a weekly basis. Even then, just have J fare sales and people would trip over each other to book AC again. You don't need to look far for that evidence. This forum alone gives you plenty of insights into AC FF mentality.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 3:55 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Funny enough, they just emailed me now. I didn't expect a Saturday response. $300 eCoupon compensation, which is not bad I guess since it was an Aeroplan J award flight. Wonder if I should ask if it's possible to get miles instead, but they've already given the eCoupon so I suspect not. It probably wouldn't exceed 10-12k miles anyway.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
but if this happened to me on a TPAC flight I would have lost my mind.
This has happened many times to me on TPACs. I never (but should have, I guess) asked for compensation nor was offered any... I just ask the SD to log it so it can be fixed.

Perhaps this is why I have a rock hard bottom. Thanks AC!
Old Sep 8, 2018, 8:14 pm

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Funny enough, they just emailed me now. I didn't expect a Saturday response. $300 eCoupon compensation, which is not bad I guess since it was an Aeroplan J award flight. Wonder if I should ask if it's possible to get miles instead, but they've already given the eCoupon so I suspect not. It probably wouldn't exceed 10-12k miles anyway.
I do believe they check if it is a revenue ticket or reward ticket, and compensate accordingly. It has made a difference in my experience in any event.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 8:38 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
I do believe they check if it is a revenue ticket or reward ticket, and compensate accordingly. It has made a difference in my experience in any event.
One would hope the compensation for non SE would be at least $500/$750 on TATL/TPAC routes where it’s an eUpgrade!

Or, in the case of a $1000 LMU ...
Old Sep 8, 2018, 8:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jc94

One would hope the compensation for non SE would be at least $500/$750 on TATL/TPAC routes where it’s an eUpgrade!

Or, in the case of a $1000 LMU ...
It really depends on the situation. One of mine was easily remedied with an extra blanket. And you still get the full J service.

If your entire mattress deflates and there are no seats to switch to, that's where I'd want a refund.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 8:59 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by canadiancow
It really depends on the situation. One of mine was easily remedied with an extra blanket. And you still get the full J service.

If your entire mattress deflates and there are no seats to switch to, that's where I'd want a refund.
Right. To be clear I meant where you are stuck in a seat that deflates regularly. If you are moved to a functional one relatively quickly; a lesser refund is acceptable. Imvho.

And while you get the full service on board, many aspects of the airport may be awarded by status if using eUps; would those be refunded?

Old Sep 9, 2018, 2:51 am

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
Twice in one day....

Flew YYZ-YVR on a 777- seat 7A was deflated...so was 6A....I put the code in both and they stayed inflated.

Connected to YVR-TPE and seated on 8A on a 787....seat kept deflating throughout the 11 hour 40 minute flight. Cabin was full so could not change seats.

Was on a paid J-cabin fare and the SD filled out the compensation form.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 4:51 am

Programs: AC E75K
Originally Posted by Plumber
Twice in one day....

Flew YYZ-YVR on a 777- seat 7A was deflated...so was 6A....I put the code in both and they stayed inflated.

Connected to YVR-TPE and seated on 8A on a 787....seat kept deflating throughout the 11 hour 40 minute flight. Cabin was full so could not change seats.

Was on a paid J-cabin fare and the SD filled out the compensation form.
What's this code you speak of???

And I presume it did not work on the YVR-TPE flight?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.