Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Deflategate; new executive pods deflating in-flight

Old Nov 20, 2017, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Argonaut1000
Click here to go to a picture of the White Compensation Form and its stub

View Deflated Seat History Here (Database for submitted occurrences)
Enter New Deflated Seat Occurrence Here (Submit one if you have experienced deflated seat and it will show up in the database above)
----
From post #49 in this thread, here's one potential way to (re)inflate an AC seat:
  • Go the home screen "Your Seat". (find this on the seat side panel; not the main video screen)
    • Hold the top left hand corner "Air Canada" (with AC logo) for 3 seconds. Updated (Apr 9 18): may need to hold for as long as 45 seconds for key pad to appear
      • Dial pad shows up - hit 3-2-1.
        • Press "Reset Lumbar Support"
Note that this method has not met 100% success so YMMV.
A better method is for a crew member to use the reset switch under the seat, on the aisle side.

Compensation offers (green/white sheet completed)
40K AE- Apr 18 (50% back of the J class one way redemption)
2018 Jun - $500 coupon
2018 Sep $1,000 eCoupon or 40K AP (P fare TPAC)
2018 Sep $500 eCoupon (P fare TPAC) (no change on protest- update - 6 months later the $150 was increased to $500 - admitted they had made an error)

Compensation offers (no green/white sheet completed)
100K - May 5 (C$150 eCoupon; was moved to a functioning seat after meal service)
2017 Sept - 8,000 AE miles - reported via complaint web page after realizing it was a faulty seat, not standard discomfort; Asked for return of eUps but they declined.
2017 Nov & 2018 Feb - $500 coupons both times (second time on protest that $500 had been offered the previous time)
2018 Sep. $250 coupon (on a paid J TATL).
2018 Nov - $500 eCoupon (J TATL)

Standard eCoupon compensation offers (no haggling; following a recurring pattern)
~10+ hours: $1000
Long TPAC (TPE-YVR)

~6 to ~10 hours: $500
Short TPAC (NRT-YVR)
TATL
South America: YYZ-GRU

less than ~6 hours: 300
TCON

Have a Service Director (SD) That Is Giving You the Case of the Shrugs? Like the real life version of this ASCII emoji -> Ż\_(ツ)_/Ż ?

No success with the SD and/or crew rectifying your deflated seat and you can't be/aren't accommodated to another J seat? If you asked for a compensation form and the SD says they have no idea what you are talking about, you can use the below picture of the stub portion to help freshen their memory (better than nothing)...

Please note that for the longest time, the "Green Compensation Form" version was used, and there have been recent reports of the "White Compensation Form" replacing the Green version. Reports here have indicated that the two forms are virtually identical except for the colour.
There is now an even newer White Form which explicitly lists "deflated seat" and "deflated seat and fixed", among many other items.

Here is a snapshot of the NEWEST full form (as of August 2019), courtesy of lallied

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31421855-post2093.html
Originally Posted by lallied
Clearly jinxed myself. New form in case hasnt been posted before.

Oops, see it has been. I just didn’t look far enough down ☹️

This is only the stub portion, courtesy of lallied

Originally Posted by lallied

There’s a main section which the SD fills in and detachable section you get to keep. Each has a reference number. It looks like the green one to me except it’s white.

Example

Mattress pads purchased and listed in this thread

Print Wikipost

Deflategate; new executive pods deflating in-flight

Old Jun 4, 2018, 9:05 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by YVRYEGYVR
Concerning that this is happening relatively frequently (and almost certainly under reported). I have yet to hear anything from AC regarding the green onboard compensation form the SD filled out for me almost 2 months ago. Sent a follow up email to AC.

Are people getting email responses acknowledging the issue and given their desired compensation?.
The Aeroplan points were deposited approx 3 weeks after the flight. No acknowledgement or communication from AC .
Old Jun 5, 2018, 10:19 am

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
Originally Posted by YVRYEGYVR
Concerning that this is happening relatively frequently (and almost certainly under reported). I have yet to hear anything from AC regarding the green onboard compensation form the SD filled out for me almost 2 months ago. Sent a follow up email to AC.

Are people getting email responses acknowledging the issue and given their desired compensation?.
I was on a flight March 4 with the issue...the green form was filled out and I received an email with compensation on March 12.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
You guys are only getting Aeroplan points as comp now? No eMCO?
Old Jun 5, 2018, 1:50 pm

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
Originally Posted by yyznomad
You guys are only getting Aeroplan points as comp now? No eMCO?
I received eMCO....despite the fact i was flying on an Aeroplan award.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 4:00 pm

My wife and I will be flying YYZ-PEK in September and am getting worried about deflategate. The green compensation form, do you take a picture of it with your phones for proof if needed later? Or do you keep the form and send it at a later date? Couldn't figure that out from reading through the thread.

Anyone else encounter deflated seats on YYZ-PEK?

Thanks.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 4:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by akhenaton
My wife and I will be flying YYZ-PEK in September and am getting worried about deflategate. The green compensation form, do you take a picture of it with your phones for proof if needed later? Or do you keep the form and send it at a later date? Couldn't figure that out from reading through the thread.

Anyone else encounter deflated seats on YYZ-PEK?

Thanks.
The route you fly has nothing to do with when or on which aircraft seats will or won't deflate.

I took a photo of the form (non-working IFE) but that was just for my own interest. Once the form is completed, the SD give you the receipt portion that has a number on it.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 7:59 am

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by Plumber
I received eMCO....despite the fact i was flying on an Aeroplan award.
You can choose which you want- tick box on the green form. What is opaque is the quantum of either- which is why we started putting compensation offers in the wiki
Plumber likes this.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 8:08 am

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by 24left
The route you fly has nothing to do with when or on which aircraft seats will or won't deflate.

I took a photo of the form (non-working IFE) but that was just for my own interest. Once the form is completed, the SD give you the receipt portion that has a number on it.
As 24LEFT indicated there is a tear-away portion from the Green Form given to the Customer & there is a Case Number indicated on the form.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 8:14 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD
As 24LEFT indicated there is a tear-away portion from the Green Form given to the Customer & there is a Case Number indicated on the form.

Found one of mine. This is the tear-away position you are given by the SD.

Old Jun 20, 2018, 4:25 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Marriott Titanium
AC878 YYZ-ZRH C-FITU Fin 732 Seat 11D. Backrest lumbar deflated; seat pad was inflated.

No comp. as I moved to 11G instead, but I'm running at approx 20% failure rate for my J flights in the last 9 months.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 1:05 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
AC841 FRA-YVR C-GHPT FIN 802 Seat 1G. Seat pad mattress wouldn't inflate and seat wouldn't even recline. SD tried his best and did multiple touch screen and under seat resets. Recline eventually worked but the seat pad part of the mattress still wouldn't inflate.

J was full, so got creative and used an extra Signature Service pad to act as seat cushion. Even with this, sleeping was like sleeping on hard ground, but without the tent - not at all pleasant. Was given green form.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 3:39 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by Bohemian1
AC841 FRA-YVR C-GHPT FIN 802 Seat 1G. Seat pad mattress wouldn't inflate and seat wouldn't even recline......Was given green form.
Got $500 coupon.

Wiki updated.
Argonaut1000 likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 3:58 pm

Programs: AC SE
hkg-yvr wouldnt reinflate got offered 20,000 AP non status or $1000 emco.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Bohemian1
Got $500 coupon.

Wiki updated.
Ugh, I should've brought up each and every deflated seat I got.
I was so scared of the SJW/PC bullies here telling me that I should not complain or ask for compensation for such things.
I should be thankful that I got from A to B and that's it, right?
smallmj likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 4:56 pm

This thread is the deciding factor that in my November flight to the Middle East, I'm taking Emirates and not AC, for myself and MrsITAG. $15,000 that Air Canada won't get. I need to see proactive acknowledgement that it is being fixed.

I know lots of folks around here -- all of us - make regular threats that we will go elsewhere etc etc. But in this case, I am. Not interested in YYZ-DXB with collapsing pods.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.