Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Deflategate; new executive pods deflating in-flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 20, 2017, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Argonaut1000
Click here to go to a picture of the White Compensation Form and its stub

View Deflated Seat History Here (Database for submitted occurrences)
Enter New Deflated Seat Occurrence Here (Submit one if you have experienced deflated seat and it will show up in the database above)
----
From post #49 in this thread, here's one potential way to (re)inflate an AC seat:
  • Go the home screen "Your Seat". (find this on the seat side panel; not the main video screen)
    • Hold the top left hand corner "Air Canada" (with AC logo) for 3 seconds. Updated (Apr 9 18): may need to hold for as long as 45 seconds for key pad to appear
      • Dial pad shows up - hit 3-2-1.
        • Press "Reset Lumbar Support"
Note that this method has not met 100% success so YMMV.
A better method is for a crew member to use the reset switch under the seat, on the aisle side.

Compensation offers (green/white sheet completed)
40K AE- Apr 18 (50% back of the J class one way redemption)
2018 Jun - $500 coupon
2018 Sep $1,000 eCoupon or 40K AP (P fare TPAC)
2018 Sep $500 eCoupon (P fare TPAC) (no change on protest- update - 6 months later the $150 was increased to $500 - admitted they had made an error)

Compensation offers (no green/white sheet completed)
100K - May 5 (C$150 eCoupon; was moved to a functioning seat after meal service)
2017 Sept - 8,000 AE miles - reported via complaint web page after realizing it was a faulty seat, not standard discomfort; Asked for return of eUps but they declined.
2017 Nov & 2018 Feb - $500 coupons both times (second time on protest that $500 had been offered the previous time)
2018 Sep. $250 coupon (on a paid J TATL).
2018 Nov - $500 eCoupon (J TATL)

Standard eCoupon compensation offers (no haggling; following a recurring pattern)
~10+ hours: $1000
Long TPAC (TPE-YVR)

~6 to ~10 hours: $500
Short TPAC (NRT-YVR)
TATL
South America: YYZ-GRU

less than ~6 hours: 300
TCON

Have a Service Director (SD) That Is Giving You the Case of the Shrugs? Like the real life version of this ASCII emoji -> ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ?

No success with the SD and/or crew rectifying your deflated seat and you can't be/aren't accommodated to another J seat? If you asked for a compensation form and the SD says they have no idea what you are talking about, you can use the below picture of the stub portion to help freshen their memory (better than nothing)...

Please note that for the longest time, the "Green Compensation Form" version was used, and there have been recent reports of the "White Compensation Form" replacing the Green version. Reports here have indicated that the two forms are virtually identical except for the colour.
There is now an even newer White Form which explicitly lists "deflated seat" and "deflated seat and fixed", among many other items.

Here is a snapshot of the NEWEST full form (as of August 2019), courtesy of lallied

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31421855-post2093.html
Originally Posted by lallied
Clearly jinxed myself. New form in case hasnt been posted before.

Oops, see it has been. I just didn’t look far enough down ☹️

This is only the stub portion, courtesy of lallied

Originally Posted by lallied

There’s a main section which the SD fills in and detachable section you get to keep. Each has a reference number. It looks like the green one to me except it’s white.

Example

Mattress pads purchased and listed in this thread

Print Wikipost

Deflategate; new executive pods deflating in-flight

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2017, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tcook052
Don't feel deflated as it still could happen. The optics of such a malfunction on seats passengers are paying thousands for aren't good but that's merely MHO.
I remember that "journo" monitored this site. His news media affiliation escapes me.
Paging the old timers......
tcook052 likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 10:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD
May I make a recommendation? Please advise any Crew Member if you're experiencing this issue. There is a primary procedure to be done from the FAP (Flight Attendant Panel), and the function that you're referring to is a Maintenance and back-up function. Any SD is familiar with proper reset procedures. Thanks.
Originally Posted by sweden05
So there are three reset procedures, which the SD on my YYZ-HND flight tried in sequence:
  1. Reset from the flight attendant panel
  2. Reset using the touch-screen seat controls (using the password sequence noted above)
  3. Reset using a switch under the seat
In my case, steps 1 and 2 did nothing, and step 3 did temporarily fully re-inflate the seat. About an hour later it had deflated about 50%, and repeating step 3 fully reinflated it again. I then moved seats.

Luckily for my HND-YYZ yesterday my seat stayed inflated.
That was my experience too.

Except on one flight, the SD didn't attempt the third option, and I was unaware of it, so couldn't suggest it.

Not every SD is amazing.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 10:51 am

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
This has been happening since the studio pods.

I flew SYD-YVR-YUL yesterday, and slept much better on the 333 as a result.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 11:25 am

Programs: AC*S100K 1MM, LH FTL, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Plat
Wow, I'm surprised this has turned into such a big thread so late into the game... the problem is VERY common. On my last trip, 2/3 of our seats were deflated, and when I overheard a guy complaining and saw the FA didn't know how to do it, I fixed it for him. Soon enough, two other people came up to me with broken seats. Luckily I haven't experienced complete deflation during the flight, but it's not uncommon to feel the seat pumping under you during the flight. The idea is great but I'm not sure if the problems outweigh the issues (probably not). I've also found J full on all my recent flights, so I'm not sure how moving around would be possible on these. I once had a GA ask if I'd like to switch because a screen was broken, but I declined. But never about the seat...
Old Nov 21, 2017, 1:06 pm

As people say, I've had it happen on and off pretty-much since they were installed. There should be an official FT card with instructions we can all carry I know that if it goes any length of time I forget the reset sequence, and not all FAs know it.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 1:15 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
I took a photo on my phone with the instructions should it happen to me. It's a little sad that it's come to this though, it's not like AC is (normally) the cheapest J product out there and while others have a much worse hard product I suspect that a middle lie-flat with some amount of cushioning beats a wooden bench with aisle access.

It reminds me of work, whenever I move I grab a screwdriver and allan key and modify my workspace as needed
Old Nov 21, 2017, 2:33 pm

Programs: AC E50K
TCON flight (YYZ-YVR). 777-300. November 19, Experienced the same issue, Told the FA that the mattress feels deflated, she responded "I didn't know they could inflate" and walked away...
Old Nov 21, 2017, 4:39 pm

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by airbus320
I remember that "journo" monitored this site. His news media affiliation escapes me.
Paging the old timers......
He was a Globe and Mail reporter, but haven't seen anything by him for some years.
Doug McArthur, I think, or something like that.
airbus320 likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 4:39 pm

Programs: *G
Did I not just read on another thread that AC has recently appointed a new "VP Product". Is that not the person that FTers should be targetting to deal with this issue?
Old Nov 21, 2017, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IluvSQ
He was a Globe and Mail reporter, but haven't seen anything by him for some years.
http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/the...?pid=170800114
Old Nov 21, 2017, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IluvSQ
You are right.......I found him on FT archives.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fin 645
Did I not just read on another thread that AC has recently appointed a new "VP Product". Is that not the person that FTers should be targetting to deal with this issue?

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...tor@Andrew-Yiu
Old Nov 21, 2017, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

AKA Empress on FT.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 5:36 pm

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Stranger
AKA Empress on FT.
Andrew/Empress was before my time on FT. But he sounds like an outstanding guy who will do an great job.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 6:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Stranger
AKA Empress on FT.
aka @Andrew Yiu

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.