Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Deflategate; new executive pods deflating in-flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 20, 2017, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Argonaut1000
Click here to go to a picture of the White Compensation Form and its stub

View Deflated Seat History Here (Database for submitted occurrences)
Enter New Deflated Seat Occurrence Here (Submit one if you have experienced deflated seat and it will show up in the database above)
----
From post #49 in this thread, here's one potential way to (re)inflate an AC seat:
  • Go the home screen "Your Seat". (find this on the seat side panel; not the main video screen)
    • Hold the top left hand corner "Air Canada" (with AC logo) for 3 seconds. Updated (Apr 9 18): may need to hold for as long as 45 seconds for key pad to appear
      • Dial pad shows up - hit 3-2-1.
        • Press "Reset Lumbar Support"
Note that this method has not met 100% success so YMMV.
A better method is for a crew member to use the reset switch under the seat, on the aisle side.

Compensation offers (green/white sheet completed)
40K AE- Apr 18 (50% back of the J class one way redemption)
2018 Jun - $500 coupon
2018 Sep $1,000 eCoupon or 40K AP (P fare TPAC)
2018 Sep $500 eCoupon (P fare TPAC) (no change on protest- update - 6 months later the $150 was increased to $500 - admitted they had made an error)

Compensation offers (no green/white sheet completed)
100K - May 5 (C$150 eCoupon; was moved to a functioning seat after meal service)
2017 Sept - 8,000 AE miles - reported via complaint web page after realizing it was a faulty seat, not standard discomfort; Asked for return of eUps but they declined.
2017 Nov & 2018 Feb - $500 coupons both times (second time on protest that $500 had been offered the previous time)
2018 Sep. $250 coupon (on a paid J TATL).
2018 Nov - $500 eCoupon (J TATL)

Standard eCoupon compensation offers (no haggling; following a recurring pattern)
~10+ hours: $1000
Long TPAC (TPE-YVR)

~6 to ~10 hours: $500
Short TPAC (NRT-YVR)
TATL
South America: YYZ-GRU

less than ~6 hours: 300
TCON

Have a Service Director (SD) That Is Giving You the Case of the Shrugs? Like the real life version of this ASCII emoji -> ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ?

No success with the SD and/or crew rectifying your deflated seat and you can't be/aren't accommodated to another J seat? If you asked for a compensation form and the SD says they have no idea what you are talking about, you can use the below picture of the stub portion to help freshen their memory (better than nothing)...

Please note that for the longest time, the "Green Compensation Form" version was used, and there have been recent reports of the "White Compensation Form" replacing the Green version. Reports here have indicated that the two forms are virtually identical except for the colour.
There is now an even newer White Form which explicitly lists "deflated seat" and "deflated seat and fixed", among many other items.

Here is a snapshot of the NEWEST full form (as of August 2019), courtesy of lallied

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31421855-post2093.html
Originally Posted by lallied
Clearly jinxed myself. New form in case hasnt been posted before.

Oops, see it has been. I just didn’t look far enough down ☹️

This is only the stub portion, courtesy of lallied

Originally Posted by lallied

There’s a main section which the SD fills in and detachable section you get to keep. Each has a reference number. It looks like the green one to me except it’s white.

Example

Mattress pads purchased and listed in this thread

Print Wikipost

Deflategate; new executive pods deflating in-flight

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2019, 4:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Was your usual $1000 for ULH, and your last three $500 for not-ULH?
Old Mar 21, 2019, 4:55 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by 24left
Fin 857, delivered in MAY 2018

Seat 4A became a nice park bench with a view part way though the 10 hour flight.
Where is the #AirCanadaCamping pictures?
Old Mar 21, 2019, 4:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I've been meaning to post this for a while. This is the whole form.

The left section and the tear-off piece were filled out entirely by the SD.

My name was filled out by the SD.

I filled out my address, email, status, Aeroplan number, phone, and chose which type of compensation I wanted.

The main part of the form goes back to the SD, and the passenger keeps the little piece on the right side.

Plumber likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 5:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I've been meaning to post this for a while. This is the whole form.

The left section and the tear-off piece were filled out entirely by the SD.

My name was filled out by the SD.

I filled out my address, email, status, Aeroplan number, phone, and chose which type of compensation I wanted.

The main part of the form goes back to the SD, and the passenger keeps the little piece on the right side.
Thanks. I've updated the wiki.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 7:09 am

Programs: Aeroplan Elite for life; Fairmont Platinum; Delta Platinum Plus
YYZ LHR return this week both on 777's each time my initial seat had an inflation problem. Good news was J was not full on either flight so just moved seats. Interestingly all the crew knew how to do the reset both from the touch screen and under the seat.

I guess I have been lucky up until now as these were my first encounters, but I would hate to have to make an entire flight sitting on cloth covered metal rods.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 8:30 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
On SFO-YYZ redeye arrived this morning. Saw service guy fiddling with a seat in row 8, think it was 8D. I think he was explaining what was wrong to the pax and suggesting how to reinflate. Maybe they should add this to the end of the safety briefing.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 10:45 am
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite 2+ Million Miles
delete

Last edited by skybluesea; Dec 24, 2020 at 5:34 pm
Old Mar 22, 2019, 2:42 pm

Programs: Aeroplan Elite for life; Fairmont Platinum; Delta Platinum Plus
Originally Posted by skybluesea

@MQS007
May I ask where you asleep at time of the deflation?

I am routinely capable of 6 to 8 hours sleep, when exhausted, on long-haul beyond 12 hours where cabin crew activity ceases for long periods . Soon to board new TG A350 from BKK to Vienna, I hope to get long undisturbed rest as has been a very busy couple of weeks on the road, and meeting spouse in Berlin for few days then onto London next week for conference - need rest during flight otherwise weekend would be ruined.

So if I am awake and needed to change seats, that’s one thing, but if this happens in the middle of a serious deep sleep, that’s not what I paid for.

and I am not paying serious money so I can go camping on Air Canada 😫

Both seats were deflated when I got on board so I noticed right away. One stayed inflated until I went to put it flat at which point it deflated and I simply just moved. The other one never really re-inflated as I moved right at the start of the flight
skybluesea likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 3:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by YVRtoYYZ
Where is the #AirCanadaCamping pictures?
@YVRtoYYZ
I couldn't find a camping tent in favorable colors to give me that pseudo-F Suites feel.
As for inflatables, I am opting to employ some alternative methods. We'll see how that goes.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 4:17 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by 24left
As for inflatables, I am opting to employ some alternative methods.
You really shouldn't post stuff like that on Friday.

At least not in a place warped people like me can read it.
skybluesea, canolakid and wrp96 like this.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 10:49 pm

Programs: AC*SE-MM, BA Bronze, Marriott Titanium & lifetime Plat
AC33 last night YVR-SYD - seat back deflated twice during the night. Rondelle reset worked to reinflate it both times and lasted several hours each time.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 12:47 am
Suspended

delete

Last edited by skybluesea; Dec 24, 2020 at 5:33 pm
Old Mar 23, 2019, 11:07 am

Programs: AC SE
​​​AC, if your reading, in VIE lounge working on booking YVR-MCT in Biz for later in April - client wants flexibility as may go straight to CGK afterward but won’t decide till project sequence issues firm up later on.

will mean likely Z or even full fare J - looking at +$15k not insignificant, although in overall project budget barely noticeable as variance of project variance - but i’m accountable to spend clients’ money effectively.

As client let’s me book, as long as I provide 2 comparables for audit purposes, little reason to consider AC on long haul overnight even if fares comparable.

Not sure motivation of others to book park benches, at least on long hauls where it matters, IMHO.
Really? What do you expect from such a post on a (semi-) anonymous forum? Put your client’s money where your mouth is and book somewhere else. Then send a copy of the receipt to Calin or someone else in AC’s senior staff or even CC the whole lot.

Haven’t you been advocating in this very thread for people to actually write in to complain to AC so that this whole mess is properly documented? Again, I am just suggesting you should be consistent with your own line of thought and act accordingly.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 5:30 pm
Suspended

delete

Last edited by skybluesea; Dec 24, 2020 at 5:32 pm
Old Mar 23, 2019, 5:56 pm

Programs: AC SE

@jasdou
And since their appears to be a near absence of willingness to hold AC feet to fire with nonsense such as continuing to accept pitiful compensation or worse travelers on this Forum directly enabling AC with carry-on mattress, then I consider a parallel forward looking approach also needed - nothing inconsistent about adding new tools to deal with this, and if risk of loss of future revenue helps me get compensation for failed past AC service, works for me. And if folks are not sharing their efforts here with AC - why???

and if you read my post again , it started with message directed to AC - you can choose to ignore the rest because not meant for you.

And before you criticize my broadening of actions in the face of lack of evidence herein of change by those who post here - how about you specifically explain what actions you are taking to help fellow AC travelers resolve this matter with AC.

I have done considerable research, translated into advocacy sent to AC, shared excerpts on this Thread for debate (and I’m grateful), and have openly sent draft letter to those who PM me.

Will I be successful- have NO idea? Will I sit on my butt just complaining about AC or taking AC breadcrumb handouts - NO way...

And I put sure AC money where my mouth states - I have written to AC and outright rejected $1,000 offer..and have advised my client that should I get full refund- this cheque goes to them, and if I get compensation for hassle that goes to me.

thank you for your challenge as reminds me how many folks here have employer/client paid travel, but pocket all AC compensation???.too painful/dangerous question I suppose?

So you want to call me out - fair enough, but before you do so, lay out here for everyone to see how you are helping every AC traveler facing buying J who may NOT know about deflation ...only so much I do on my own...and actions are all that count so criticize away.
I have so far refrained from commenting in this thread because I have not been affected by this since 2017 because the bulk of my travel is on narrowbody domestic and TB routes. As such, I do not feel like it is my place to do anything to help out or educate anyone on deflating seats. And yes I would advise potential passengers against the risk of deflation if I was asked about it. And no I have not pocketed any compensation money from OPM-financed travel but thank you for suggesting that I did despite you knowing nothing about my travel patterns.

You have been very vocal on this issue and I commend you on taking action on behalf of your clients, yourself and fellow J travellers. However I think we are pretty much shouting into the wind in this thread. Yes, AC lurkers will read what is going on here but the current results demonstrate that this thread has not (yet) led to a resolution. Therefore we can keep venting in this thread because it is free therapy but I would not hold much hope that anything will come of it.

Good of luck in your quest. I will continue to cheer for all of you from the cheap seats.
Bohemian1 and 24left like this.

Last edited by jasdou; Mar 23, 2019 at 6:07 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.