Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Deflategate; new executive pods deflating in-flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 20, 2017, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Argonaut1000
Click here to go to a picture of the White Compensation Form and its stub

View Deflated Seat History Here (Database for submitted occurrences)
Enter New Deflated Seat Occurrence Here (Submit one if you have experienced deflated seat and it will show up in the database above)
----
From post #49 in this thread, here's one potential way to (re)inflate an AC seat:
  • Go the home screen "Your Seat". (find this on the seat side panel; not the main video screen)
    • Hold the top left hand corner "Air Canada" (with AC logo) for 3 seconds. Updated (Apr 9 18): may need to hold for as long as 45 seconds for key pad to appear
      • Dial pad shows up - hit 3-2-1.
        • Press "Reset Lumbar Support"
Note that this method has not met 100% success so YMMV.
A better method is for a crew member to use the reset switch under the seat, on the aisle side.

Compensation offers (green/white sheet completed)
40K AE- Apr 18 (50% back of the J class one way redemption)
2018 Jun - $500 coupon
2018 Sep $1,000 eCoupon or 40K AP (P fare TPAC)
2018 Sep $500 eCoupon (P fare TPAC) (no change on protest- update - 6 months later the $150 was increased to $500 - admitted they had made an error)

Compensation offers (no green/white sheet completed)
100K - May 5 (C$150 eCoupon; was moved to a functioning seat after meal service)
2017 Sept - 8,000 AE miles - reported via complaint web page after realizing it was a faulty seat, not standard discomfort; Asked for return of eUps but they declined.
2017 Nov & 2018 Feb - $500 coupons both times (second time on protest that $500 had been offered the previous time)
2018 Sep. $250 coupon (on a paid J TATL).
2018 Nov - $500 eCoupon (J TATL)

Standard eCoupon compensation offers (no haggling; following a recurring pattern)
~10+ hours: $1000
Long TPAC (TPE-YVR)

~6 to ~10 hours: $500
Short TPAC (NRT-YVR)
TATL
South America: YYZ-GRU

less than ~6 hours: 300
TCON

Have a Service Director (SD) That Is Giving You the Case of the Shrugs? Like the real life version of this ASCII emoji -> ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ?

No success with the SD and/or crew rectifying your deflated seat and you can't be/aren't accommodated to another J seat? If you asked for a compensation form and the SD says they have no idea what you are talking about, you can use the below picture of the stub portion to help freshen their memory (better than nothing)...

Please note that for the longest time, the "Green Compensation Form" version was used, and there have been recent reports of the "White Compensation Form" replacing the Green version. Reports here have indicated that the two forms are virtually identical except for the colour.
There is now an even newer White Form which explicitly lists "deflated seat" and "deflated seat and fixed", among many other items.

Here is a snapshot of the NEWEST full form (as of August 2019), courtesy of lallied

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31421855-post2093.html
Originally Posted by lallied
Clearly jinxed myself. New form in case hasnt been posted before.

Oops, see it has been. I just didn’t look far enough down ☹️

This is only the stub portion, courtesy of lallied

Originally Posted by lallied

There’s a main section which the SD fills in and detachable section you get to keep. Each has a reference number. It looks like the green one to me except it’s white.

Example

Mattress pads purchased and listed in this thread

Print Wikipost

Deflategate; new executive pods deflating in-flight

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2019, 10:20 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Hope for the best. Plan for the worst.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 10:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by canadiancow
How long has it been taking for the onboard compensation forms lately?
Of the 3 deflates I had in 4 days, the last two flight emails arrived within a week. There was no indication the first one was even processed so I mentioned it in a reply to one of the others. That one finally showed up at 2 weeks.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 10:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Well I'm at 13 days, as are the other two on my flight. I guess I'll email in a week if I haven't heard anything.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 10:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Well I'm at 13 days, as are the other two on my flight. I guess I'll email in a week if I haven't heard anything.
Sometimes, they've taken longer.

I wonder what the time lag is from the date of the deflate to when the SD submits the paperwork. I also wonder if AC checks the log book to see if it's been reported by the SD. Then, once the paper form gets to wherever it goes, how many steps are involved to get the the point where an email is sent out? How many people are involved in the process?

What if AC could automate or digitize or modernize the process and it could all be handled on the SD's iPad? And this would apply not just to seats, but issues with IFE, SPMLs and so on.

White paper forms seem so last century.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 11:22 pm

Originally Posted by 24left
Sometimes, they've taken longer.

I wonder what the time lag is from the date of the deflate to when the SD submits the paperwork. I also wonder if AC checks the log book to see if it's been reported by the SD. Then, once the paper form gets to wherever it goes, how many steps are involved to get the the point where an email is sent out? How many people are involved in the process?

What if AC could automate or digitize or modernize the process and it could all be handled on the SD's iPad? And this would apply not just to seats, but issues with IFE, SPMLs and so on.

They’ve done something similar for medical. Back in the old days would get a call thanking you and then a free anywhere AC flies to economy ticket . Then it switched to an offer of AQM , and then getting a discount coupon sometime later. Now they hand you a little envelope with a thank you note and the coupon in it .

However, that’s hard to argue with or dispute because you’ve been on your hands and knees in the galley for hours resuscitating somebody. Or once, three folk needing care.

I suspect they wouldn’t want to do it for up&lie- flat beds so that the service director isn’t making the final call about compensation if there is a dispute. I could imagine they could get in sticky situations sometimes given the ire it causes.
skybluesea likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 5:31 am
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite 2+ Million Miles
delete

Last edited by skybluesea; Dec 24, 2020 at 11:21 am
Old Mar 9, 2019, 11:40 am

Programs: AC SE*MM, Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Gold, National EE, Sixt Plat, Hz 5*
I haven't received any acknowledgement of the white form I completed on Feb 17th. Maybe I should write in.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 8:49 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime PE, AC Altitude SE100K-1MM
Originally Posted by Nitehawk
I haven't received any acknowledgement of the white form I completed on Feb 17th. Maybe I should write in.
I've not either for white form issued on flight Feb 16 /17 (red-eye).
Old Mar 10, 2019, 9:46 am
Suspended

delete

Last edited by skybluesea; Dec 24, 2020 at 5:29 pm
Old Mar 11, 2019, 6:21 pm

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, Bonvoy Gold, HHonors Diamond, VIA Premier, NEXUS/GE
How long has it been taking for the onboard compensation forms lately?
As others have mentioned, it varies.
My latest issue took about 9 weeks After 8 weeks, an agent from AC Customer Service called me for something else (I thought it was because of that) so I took the opportunity to mention the long wait time to hear back for the onboard compensation form. She asked for the number on the form and I received an email 1 week later.
The form indicates it may take up to 60 business days...
It is certainly taking longer than in the past. I'm not sure how to interpret that; it could be that they receive a larger volume of forms to process and/or they do more checks before issuing compensation.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 7:16 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime PE, AC Altitude SE100K-1MM
Originally Posted by DNAwizard
My latest issue took about 9 weeks.
Even though I wasn't the one to pose the question, this is context / information I needed as well. Thank you!
DNAwizard likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 3:38 am

Programs: AC SE, WJ Gold, Bonvoy Titanium Ambassador
Hi,

Recently had a seat deflate (3x before take off and unable to fix) flying YYZ-LHR (no seat alternatives were available), was an AE redemption (currently SE), did receive the white form on the plane, would anyone have an idea what I can expect for compensation (selected flight credit however not sure what to expect given it was AE redemption).

Thanks
Old Mar 12, 2019, 3:41 am

Originally Posted by NB_Falcon
Hi,

Recently had a seat deflate (3x before take off and unable to fix) flying YYZ-LHR (no seat alternatives were available), was an AE redemption (currently SE), did receive the white form on the plane, would anyone have an idea what I can expect for compensation (selected flight credit however not sure what to expect given it was AE redemption).

Thanks
$500
canadiancow and DNAwizard like this.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 4:08 am
Suspended

delete

Last edited by skybluesea; Dec 31, 2020 at 10:55 am
Old Mar 12, 2019, 6:26 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by 24left
You must be new here Maybe AC could also start doing things like offering meal selection in advance, or actually providing a website that allows people to do things so they don't have an overloaded call center whenever we got snow in you know, Canada.

Besides, won't the pancakes seat be fixed in April 2019?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.