Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Deflategate; new executive pods deflating in-flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 20, 2017, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Argonaut1000
Click here to go to a picture of the White Compensation Form and its stub

View Deflated Seat History Here (Database for submitted occurrences)
Enter New Deflated Seat Occurrence Here (Submit one if you have experienced deflated seat and it will show up in the database above)
----
From post #49 in this thread, here's one potential way to (re)inflate an AC seat:
  • Go the home screen "Your Seat". (find this on the seat side panel; not the main video screen)
    • Hold the top left hand corner "Air Canada" (with AC logo) for 3 seconds. Updated (Apr 9 18): may need to hold for as long as 45 seconds for key pad to appear
      • Dial pad shows up - hit 3-2-1.
        • Press "Reset Lumbar Support"
Note that this method has not met 100% success so YMMV.
A better method is for a crew member to use the reset switch under the seat, on the aisle side.

Compensation offers (green/white sheet completed)
40K AE- Apr 18 (50% back of the J class one way redemption)
2018 Jun - $500 coupon
2018 Sep $1,000 eCoupon or 40K AP (P fare TPAC)
2018 Sep $500 eCoupon (P fare TPAC) (no change on protest- update - 6 months later the $150 was increased to $500 - admitted they had made an error)

Compensation offers (no green/white sheet completed)
100K - May 5 (C$150 eCoupon; was moved to a functioning seat after meal service)
2017 Sept - 8,000 AE miles - reported via complaint web page after realizing it was a faulty seat, not standard discomfort; Asked for return of eUps but they declined.
2017 Nov & 2018 Feb - $500 coupons both times (second time on protest that $500 had been offered the previous time)
2018 Sep. $250 coupon (on a paid J TATL).
2018 Nov - $500 eCoupon (J TATL)

Standard eCoupon compensation offers (no haggling; following a recurring pattern)
~10+ hours: $1000
Long TPAC (TPE-YVR)

~6 to ~10 hours: $500
Short TPAC (NRT-YVR)
TATL
South America: YYZ-GRU

less than ~6 hours: 300
TCON

Have a Service Director (SD) That Is Giving You the Case of the Shrugs? Like the real life version of this ASCII emoji -> Ż\_(ツ)_/Ż ?

No success with the SD and/or crew rectifying your deflated seat and you can't be/aren't accommodated to another J seat? If you asked for a compensation form and the SD says they have no idea what you are talking about, you can use the below picture of the stub portion to help freshen their memory (better than nothing)...

Please note that for the longest time, the "Green Compensation Form" version was used, and there have been recent reports of the "White Compensation Form" replacing the Green version. Reports here have indicated that the two forms are virtually identical except for the colour.
There is now an even newer White Form which explicitly lists "deflated seat" and "deflated seat and fixed", among many other items.

Here is a snapshot of the NEWEST full form (as of August 2019), courtesy of lallied

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31421855-post2093.html
Originally Posted by lallied
Clearly jinxed myself. New form in case hasnt been posted before.

Oops, see it has been. I just didn’t look far enough down ☹️

This is only the stub portion, courtesy of lallied

Originally Posted by lallied

There’s a main section which the SD fills in and detachable section you get to keep. Each has a reference number. It looks like the green one to me except it’s white.

Example

Mattress pads purchased and listed in this thread

Print Wikipost

Deflategate; new executive pods deflating in-flight

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2019, 1:18 pm

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by YXUFlyboy
BA's LHR is seasonal but runs March through October.
ZRH is seasonal and has a full business class cabin.
CDG, DUB and LGW business cabins will be launching soon (LGW in April, daily) - so yes, not yet, but yes soon (not never). I expect LGW to remain year round on 789s but not daily.
Condor has a proper business cabin to FRA.
KLM has a proper business cabin to AMS, and it is year round.
Hainan runs year round to PEK, and has a proper business cabin.

There are options. But the biggest growth will be with WS in the years to come. YYC will be lucky to hold NRT past 2019. And yes, a lot of it is seasonal flying, but most flights to Europe are during Northern Summer. In the dead of winter you'll have WS to LGW and KLM to AMS at least, and LHR via BA in March.
So let’s say you want to fly next week.

You have ave a choice of AC daily to LHR and FRA. And AC to NRT. Daily KLM to AMS. And if you are flexible (it seems to be just 2x a week) you can fly to PEK on Hainan. And that’s it for J. That isn’t even a “handful” of alternatives to AC. But but but. But. But. But. But somebody who doesn’t even fly AC, in J, overseas, wants to troll you all.

Edited to add: I am all for just getting a connection on a better airline in YVR or YYZ. Awesome sauce. But the contention that their are even a few reasonable options direct from YYC today in J is just stupid. There are not.
Adam Smith likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by 24left
Reporting is not the issue. AC knows because SDs report it in the logbooks, because AC is issuing eCoupons for future opportunities for stay-flats and because well, AC FT.
Suppose you are correct and AC SDs dutifully log all seating related issues. Then the question comes back to why isn't AC doing anything about it? Could it be that they log the issue but no one is taking a look at the logbook? Or if they are looking at the logbook, determine that the passenger won't notice (or if they do it'll be a "minor inconvenience" that can be addressed in the air)? Perhaps something could be done by having the concierges inspect the seats between the deplaning and boarding with maintenance coming on to address the issues. I suspect such a repair could be slotted in between the 1-2 hour turn around for cleaning. Has anyone requested this service from the concierge?

Safe Travels,

James
Old Feb 19, 2019, 1:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by j2simpso
Suppose you are correct and AC SDs dutifully log all seating related issues. Then the question comes back to why isn't AC doing anything about it? Could it be that they log the issue but no one is taking a look at the logbook? Or if they are looking at the logbook, determine that the passenger won't notice (or if they do it'll be a "minor inconvenience" that can be addressed in the air)? ......
Ok time to remind all of you just tuning in from home.....

Upthread, perhaps late last year, it was posted that TC is testing new cushions. No one has returned to update that info and others here know FAR better than I do about how long it takes for safety testing.

So I'll be generous and say perhaps AC is doing something.

However, and to rinse and repeat since no one likes to read posts that are more than a day old, one major issue is the lack of communication from AC. I know no one from AC will post about it here and that's perfectly fine. And maybe there are legal liability issues so AC won't say what they are doing.

We all agree the problem persists and is now much more frequent, sometimes multiple seats per flight, and the only result are some seriously pissed off customers and some very frustrated cabin crew.

......Perhaps something could be done by having the concierges inspect the seats between the deplaning and boarding with maintenance coming on to address the issues. I suspect such a repair could be slotted in between the 1-2 hour turn around for cleaning. Has anyone requested this service from the concierge?
OK, non-starter. Concierges are busy with other stuff.

No way are they coming onboard to check seats and it's not their job. Period.

Based on the OTP thread and posts related to turn times, there is barely time to clean the lavs and replace pillow, blanket etc then have maintenance board every aircraft and fix the seats before the flights leave. It would be nice and it should be done - especially at the hubs.

Among many other things that I've posted above, I am also more interested in what happened when the stay-flat arrives in Asia, or the ME or India, South America, somewhere where AC does not have a maintenance team. Are the deflated seats that arrive there left to be used by the returning pax?

Just saying it all again.
Adam Smith likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 1:53 pm

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Ok time to remind all of you just tuning in from home.....

Upthread, perhaps late last year, it was posted that TC is testing new cushions. No one has returned to update that info and others here know FAR better than I do about how long it takes for safety testing.

So I'll be generous and say perhaps AC is doing something.

However, and to rinse and repeat since no one likes to read posts that are more than a day old, one major issue is the lack of communication from AC. I know no one from AC will post about it here and that's perfectly fine. And maybe there are legal liability issues so AC won't say what they are doing.

We all agree the problem persists and is now much more frequent, sometimes multiple seats per flight, and the only result are some seriously pissed off customers and some very frustrated cabin crew.

OK, non-starter. Concierges are busy with other stuff.

Based on the OTP thread and posts related to turn times, there is barely time to clean the lavs and replace pillow, blanket etc then have maintenance board every aircraft and fix the seats before the flights leave. It would be nice and it should be done - especially at the hubs.

Among many other things that I've posted above, I am also more interested in what happened when the stay-flat arrives in Asia, or the ME or India, South America, somewhere where AC does not have a maintenance team. Are the deflated seats that arrive there left to be used by the returning pax?

There certainly isn’t time to properly clean. Thus the red wine all over one side of my seat last flight.

And yes yes I think the OTP thread has a great deal of relevance to this thread. At least in my demented little head there seems to be some of the same basic AC DGAF going on.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 2:07 pm

Concierges are busy with other stuff.

If it's not the concierges job to bring in maintenance to fix the issue then whose job is it? Similarly, if AC only cares about tight turns at OTP when does AC ever get around to fixing these issues? Is it during the quarterly/annual inspection where the aircraft has to get regulatory inspections done? Is it when the aircraft goes mechanical for other reasons? It's understandable if AC can't get a seat repaired in an outstation, but when the birds are back at their home bases of YVR, YYZ and YUL, it's hard for them to say, "well we can't fix it here!"

Originally Posted by ridefar
There certainly isn’t time to properly clean. Thus the red wine all over one side of my seat last flight.

And yes yes I think the OTP thread has a great deal of relevance to this thread. At least in my demented little head there seems to be some of the same basic AC DGAF going on.
At some point AC has to ask themselves, "is it more important to be on time or to provide a service that'll make customers want to fly with them again?" Witness AAs obsession with D0 at any costs and how that has resulted in not only a poor customer experience but resentment by crew members! And look, I get why they need to have good OTP figures, there are fines and penalties due to delays and mis-connects which AC wants to avoid. However, there may be other ways to solve this issue (i.e. having a sane boarding process where it doesn't take an hour to board a 777 but rather 15 minutes like they do at NRT).

Some food for thought!

-James
Old Feb 19, 2019, 2:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite 2+ Million Miles
YVR Located on Sea Island

delete
monkai likes this.

Last edited by skybluesea; Dec 23, 2020 at 8:09 pm
Old Feb 19, 2019, 2:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by SteadyAT
Assume this is the FIN? If so, same FIN: YYZ to LHR, 8A already deflated on boarding - the moment I sat down, it was like sitting on a piece of plywood covered by fabric. Informed the FA who attempted to fix; she then informed SD, who indicated mechanic was coming on board to fix. In the meantime, she located an alternate seat and offered to me. In the course of this discussion, gentleman in 8D was curious what the seat felt like. Turned out HIS seat was also deflated! I moved and later saw that mechanic was fixing both 8A & 8D. And someone was later seated in 8A.

Although my new seat (1D) was fully inflated at takeoff, I felt the air bladders inflate and deflate periodically on the lumbar after take-off. By the time I put the seat down to lie-flat position, the seat back was flat (I could feel the frame), and there was a huge gap between the seat-back and seat. I used the comforter, triple-folded, to cushion myself, and sat on the pillow to fill in the gap. Unfortunately, there were no extra comforters but I was given an extra mattress pad to further fill in the gap. In the end, I raised the seat to the relax mode (with the seatback a little more raised) to minimize lying on the seat-back and fortunately, had my own neck pillow and managed to nap for a short while on this red-eye flight in a semi-recline position. Will actually be glad to be flying home on an older 767!

This means 838 has 5 faulty seats.
Yes, 838 is the FIN.

However, 789s do not have 8D. 1-8 A/K, 1-7 D/G. Due to alignment, I presume you meant 7D, not 8D. In which case that's only 4 confirmed seats on 838, not 5. Not that 4 (or 1) is acceptable.
skybluesea and SteadyAT like this.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 3:40 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
I'm tempted to setup Amazon revshare links, but I don't have that kind of time. So I'll give y'all the co-ops.

https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5041-0...m-Sleeping-Pad

https://www.rei.com/product/881574/t...e-sleeping-pad
Old Feb 19, 2019, 3:51 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
And add to the mix that there are 1800+ of these seats fleet wide and the calculus is pretty overwhelming.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 3:56 pm

Hopefully not a dumb question but thought I'd indulge: do AC wide-bodies go out of service for more than the 1-2 hours required for a turn (i.e. to clean the cabin, refuel, restock the food/booze, etc.) or is it just go go go for the AC jumbos?
Old Feb 19, 2019, 5:28 pm

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Hopefully not a dumb question but thought I'd indulge: do AC wide-bodies go out of service for more than the 1-2 hours required for a turn (i.e. to clean the cabin, refuel, restock the food/booze, etc.) or is it just go go go for the AC jumbos?
Not a dumb question at all. I don't know the current average daily widebody utilization rate at AC, but there is time - especially in the northern winter - for maintenance on the order of, say, replacing defective seats. There are 777/787s parked inside the AC hangar and/or on various parking pads at my local airport* overnight, and I assume at other AC hubs as well. If there were a solution available, there are opportunities to enact them.

*hint: it's an airport situated on a landmass entirely surrounded by water yet apparently is not an island. I've already contacted my alma mater to demand full refund of the tuition I paid to obtain my degree in Geography.

Originally Posted by ridefar
If I ask you: do you fly over water (as in fly TPAC or TATL) with AC our of YVR? And you reply: “Vancouver is an island so yes I fly over water” I think you have deliberately misconstrued the question in an effort to be a d—k.
Yay, word games!
Dark?
Drunk?
Darlek?
Denmark...gotta be Denmark.
Wait...duck? That doesn't make sense.
Dreadlock?

Originally Posted by skybluesea
have fun sniping- more effective to attack AC directly instead.
Hear hear. I'm all for effective methods on holding the airline to task over this debacle. I'm also not shy in expressing when I see strategies that will not achieve the goal. Only one person has openly admitted to the best method I can think of: Bohemian1 chooses AC's competitors whenever able, and now packs a contingency for the instances where avoiding AC is not practical. Many others complain without altering their travel behaviour. I ask where's the incentive for AC to deviate from their current course? Revenue deprivation and loss of market share are the only real results that AC's HQ** will listen to. Some peoples' hands are forced: I sympathize with those who truly have one airline option, although that's not common. And for those whose time demands or employer travel contracts require flying on AC, I also commiserate.

**also located at an airport most emphatically not on an island
Old Feb 19, 2019, 7:48 pm

Programs: Aeroplan/RBC Rewards/Hilton Honors/SPG-Marriot/Hyatt/Nexus
Guess I'll be brining my bright yellow Sea to Summit sleeping pad. Just in case. I decided saving 8 hours in connecting flight times on AC/ANA was worth changing to a direct flight on AC. I'd get the extra time in Tokyo but seems like I may come to regret that choice. Fingers crossed.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 1:41 am
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite 2+ Million Miles
delete

Last edited by skybluesea; Dec 23, 2020 at 8:09 pm
Old Feb 20, 2019, 2:42 am

Programs: AC SE*MM, Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Gold, National EE, Sixt Plat, Hz 5*
Originally Posted by Lish
Guess I'll be brining my bright yellow Sea to Summit sleeping pad. Just in case. I decided saving 8 hours in connecting flight times on AC/ANA was worth changing to a direct flight on AC. I'd get the extra time in Tokyo but seems like I may come to regret that choice. Fingers crossed.

I took AC3 a few days ago on fin 847. 2G, lower cushion was deflated. My ANA flight after was pretty nice, but I was tired and their business cradle seats weren't great for the 6+ hours to SGN. Definitely not good for side sleepers!
Old Feb 20, 2019, 9:25 am

Originally Posted by skybluesea

when AC mgmt must explain to Board that banked revenue has been returned in significant amounts, this will certainly get attention. Letting AC off the hook by taking your business elsewhere means they got rewarded anyway, but going after their bank account might be hard to do, but will instill fear if successful, especially if there’s negative publicity around it.

If a thief came into your home, would you not respond in someway like call for help to prevent the loss, or would you just say I’ll just spend more money later to buy locks to stop it from happening next time - maybe a bit of both would be good, but only accepting the latter allows the thief their ill-gotten gains without challenge.
Fortunately, our society has a resolution for the thief: criminal and civil litigation that can be undertaken to reduce recidivism and to make the complainant whole by awarding monetary damages. If anything, a class action would force AC to pay attention since they are required to list pending material litigation in their reports to shareholders. If AC doesn't care, I suspect many investors might care if there is a class action that could cost the company a material amount of money!

From their latest annual report:

Mandatory Retirement

Air Canada is engaged in a number of proceedings involving challenges to the mandatory retirement provisions of certain of its collective agreements, including the previous Air Canada-ACPA collective agreement, which incorporated provisions of the pension plan terms and conditions applicable to pilots requiring them to retire at age 60. Air Canada has fully or partially resolved some of these complaints and is defending others. At this time, it is not possible to determine with any degree of certainty the extent of any financial liability that may arise from Air Canada being unsuccessful in its defence of these proceedings, though any such financial liability, if imposed, would not be expected to be material.
In addition, there have been several consumer legal challenges against Air Canada in the past year or so:Again, those on the forum who say we're powerless or should choose another airline (when that's unrealistic) should understand that there are other options. We can take action when AC isn't holding their end of the contract!

Safe Travels,

James

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.