Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Deflategate; new executive pods deflating in-flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 20, 2017, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Argonaut1000
Click here to go to a picture of the White Compensation Form and its stub

View Deflated Seat History Here (Database for submitted occurrences)
Enter New Deflated Seat Occurrence Here (Submit one if you have experienced deflated seat and it will show up in the database above)
----
From post #49 in this thread, here's one potential way to (re)inflate an AC seat:
  • Go the home screen "Your Seat". (find this on the seat side panel; not the main video screen)
    • Hold the top left hand corner "Air Canada" (with AC logo) for 3 seconds. Updated (Apr 9 18): may need to hold for as long as 45 seconds for key pad to appear
      • Dial pad shows up - hit 3-2-1.
        • Press "Reset Lumbar Support"
Note that this method has not met 100% success so YMMV.
A better method is for a crew member to use the reset switch under the seat, on the aisle side.

Compensation offers (green/white sheet completed)
40K AE- Apr 18 (50% back of the J class one way redemption)
2018 Jun - $500 coupon
2018 Sep $1,000 eCoupon or 40K AP (P fare TPAC)
2018 Sep $500 eCoupon (P fare TPAC) (no change on protest- update - 6 months later the $150 was increased to $500 - admitted they had made an error)

Compensation offers (no green/white sheet completed)
100K - May 5 (C$150 eCoupon; was moved to a functioning seat after meal service)
2017 Sept - 8,000 AE miles - reported via complaint web page after realizing it was a faulty seat, not standard discomfort; Asked for return of eUps but they declined.
2017 Nov & 2018 Feb - $500 coupons both times (second time on protest that $500 had been offered the previous time)
2018 Sep. $250 coupon (on a paid J TATL).
2018 Nov - $500 eCoupon (J TATL)

Standard eCoupon compensation offers (no haggling; following a recurring pattern)
~10+ hours: $1000
Long TPAC (TPE-YVR)

~6 to ~10 hours: $500
Short TPAC (NRT-YVR)
TATL
South America: YYZ-GRU

less than ~6 hours: 300
TCON

Have a Service Director (SD) That Is Giving You the Case of the Shrugs? Like the real life version of this ASCII emoji -> Ż\_(ツ)_/Ż ?

No success with the SD and/or crew rectifying your deflated seat and you can't be/aren't accommodated to another J seat? If you asked for a compensation form and the SD says they have no idea what you are talking about, you can use the below picture of the stub portion to help freshen their memory (better than nothing)...

Please note that for the longest time, the "Green Compensation Form" version was used, and there have been recent reports of the "White Compensation Form" replacing the Green version. Reports here have indicated that the two forms are virtually identical except for the colour.
There is now an even newer White Form which explicitly lists "deflated seat" and "deflated seat and fixed", among many other items.

Here is a snapshot of the NEWEST full form (as of August 2019), courtesy of lallied

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31421855-post2093.html
Originally Posted by lallied
Clearly jinxed myself. New form in case hasnt been posted before.

Oops, see it has been. I just didn’t look far enough down ☹️

This is only the stub portion, courtesy of lallied

Originally Posted by lallied

There’s a main section which the SD fills in and detachable section you get to keep. Each has a reference number. It looks like the green one to me except it’s white.

Example

Mattress pads purchased and listed in this thread

Print Wikipost

Deflategate; new executive pods deflating in-flight

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2019, 3:57 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by 24left
MY HUMBLE OPINION:

Think long and hard about spending money in mainstream or social media. No one really cares. A full page open letter to AC in the Globe might get a few raised eyebrows and I think many would not want their names listed publicly in a newspaper etc. Or maybe some would. And I would absolutely never bother with the likes of the CBC or similar. All of them only have reporters and bloggers and very few real journalists and since no one died from the deflated seats, no journalist is going to care.

There are a couple of possible approaches:

1. Letter to the heads of the institutional investors/ firms who hold a large amount of AC stock
2. Individual letters to AC with examples of tickets purchased on other airlines.
3. A group letter to AC, where everyone would have to sign their name (include status) and it would make it clear to AC that the problem remains unsolved for this length of time, and what those who sign this letter intend to do.
4. Stop paying for AC J
I already practice a form of #4 , with the addition of telling anyone I care about who flies not to fly AC J in 777s or 787s. I also give them a brief "Stay-flat Seats for Dummies" regarding both fix and compensation options.

Suggestion #3 is intriguing although I would suggest adding recent AQD and BIS stats for each pax. But figuring out who to send this to and making sure that they see it could be a challenge.
24left likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 4:35 pm

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
It's not that journalists (and there are plenty of first-rate ones still actively employed in Canadian media) don't care about the deflating seats issue, it's that their readership doesn't. The comment about the detachment of the average flyer to the plight of those in the business cabin is a good one; most people who fly on their own dime can't understand the premium paid between an economy seat vs a business seat, even for a 10-12 hour flight. Sure, they'd all like to fly up front, but not for 4-6x the cost. "For the price of one J seat, I can fly my entire family plus cover accommodation costs for the duration. And I arrive at the same time, a dozen rows back." Resentment towards those who purchase things we can't or won't afford is real, even if the only barrier to flying up front is internal.

Go ahead and buy a glossy full-page national ad. It won't move the sympathy needle, nor prompt a faster resolution by the airline.

The great Y unwashed also share another common sentiment: bewilderment that people who know better persist in buying these seats. For repeated customers, the importance of status, the benefits of shorter travel time & connections and/or the perception of better inflight service all seem to outweigh the desire to guarantee a comfortable seat on a long haul journey. There is nothing wrong with making such a decision. We all have options, and just need to weigh the pros & cons of using other airlines. If AC comes out ahead despite the chance of a $5000 nap on a park bench while picking at frozen melons, fine. But how many complaints over how long a time period are reasonable?

Only #4 above: Stop Paying for AC J, will have any hope of timely success. Not: "achieve my 100k and then move to different alliance partners for the balance of the year". Not "I'll only pay for P fares". Not "I'll purchase AC J on just narrowbody flights". Unless your employer is bound to a corporate contract, or the price differential is beyond what your travel department will reimburse, why not go cold turkey on Skytrax's Best Damn Airline in North America? Today.

Last edited by CZAMFlyer; Feb 8, 2019 at 4:44 pm
Old Feb 8, 2019, 5:58 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Perhaps an ad in the Financial Post would be more effective, in that there will be a bigger overlap in the readership and J class flyers.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 7:14 pm

MY HUMBLE OPINION:

Think long and hard about spending money in mainstream or social media. No one really cares. A full page open letter to AC in the Globe might get a few raised eyebrows and I think many would not want their names listed publicly in a newspaper etc. Or maybe some would. And I would absolutely never bother with the likes of the CBC or similar. All of them only have reporters and bloggers and very few real journalists and since no one died from the deflated seats, no journalist is going to care.

There are a couple of possible approaches:

1. Letter to the heads of the institutional investors/ firms who hold a large amount of AC stock
2. Individual letters to AC with examples of tickets purchased on other airlines.
3. A group letter to AC, where everyone would have to sign their name (include status) and it would make it clear to AC that the problem remains unsolved for this length of time, and what those who sign this letter intend to do.
4. Stop paying for AC J

Transient rates mean no discount or corporate rate etc.

Full page on the left column

Aside from point 4, I doubt the other points will make much of a difference in getting AC to change their ways. What difference will a couple of elites complaining about this to the organization or institutional investors do on this very real issue? As others have pointed out in the past, AC SEs are treated like a dime a dozen by management.

If you really want to make a dent in AC to the point where they'll start to notice, get your corporate TAs involved in the issue, have them think twice about booking AC J for their passengers. If several of the largest corporations in Canada choose CX J over say AC J to Asia, the effects will be bigger than all of us collectively boycotting AC J.

Point 4 is also another approach that an individual should consider. In particular if you fly other *A airlines in J, crediting those trips to Aeroplan, how long do you think it'll be before data scientists at AC start to realize a trend of disgruntled AC passengers moving their business elsewhere? Of course this is assuming AC has data scientists who comb this type of data.

Safe Travels,

James
Old Feb 8, 2019, 7:26 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by j2simpso
AC SEs are treated like a dime a dozen
I feel treated well despite the fact that we actually ARE a dime a dozen.

how long do you think it'll be before data scientists at AC start to realize a trend
Depends. If AC "data scientists" are just a collection of Audrey's, they'll figure it sometime around 2027. If AC "data scientists" are actually the same people as their "IT" team it will be sometime around never.
flyquiet likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 7:28 pm

Couldn't we argue that AC is taking notice given the clear mission to restrict compensation?

So they're taking notice but don't give a hoot.
mamau likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 8:32 pm

So about those stay-flats...
flyquiet and canadiancow like this.

Last edited by tcook052; Feb 8, 2019 at 9:50 pm
Old Feb 8, 2019, 8:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by WaytoomuchEurope
I love @Bohemian1's "Stay-flat Seats for Dummies". It's always amusing when the SD is watching those of us with pancakes play the rondelle reset game

Last edited by tcook052; Feb 8, 2019 at 9:51 pm Reason: edit quote
Old Feb 8, 2019, 8:41 pm

It seems to me that the stay-flat issue is due to a design defect on those seats. Others have pointed that AC may be replacing those seats once regulatory approval has been granted. However that is speculation and given the several years this has been an issue, it's just as likely that AC is aware of the issue but doesn't care. At this point as a community we have to decide, how do we ensure that AC gets the message that:
(a) this is a real issue people keep suffering and that no amount of resets fixes the problem since it is a fundamental flaw in the seat design
(b) vouchers are not an acceptable form of reimbursement for this continued issue and uncertainty it causes the passengers
(c) if this persists, more passengers will move their business elsewhere or gladly fly in Y or PY where this issue is not present

It's all fine and dandy to discuss the lie-flat issues people have and work-arounds but long run AC needs to know full well that us loyalist aren't gonna put up with it for too much longer. The fact that this thread exists for so long points out that the discussions so far haven't resulted in any resolution (other than perhaps temporary reduction in discomfort thanks to a reset here or there). We've waited months and months (some of us even years) and still don't have a resolution as of yet.

Safe Travels,

James

Last edited by tcook052; Feb 8, 2019 at 9:50 pm Reason: edit quote
Old Feb 8, 2019, 9:03 pm

I love @Bohemian1's "Stay-flat Seats for Dummies". It's always amusing when the SD is watching those of us with pancakes play the rondelle reset game
I don't know any of the tricks having never needed to use them. I know where to find them or find the people that can teach me though!
Old Feb 8, 2019, 9:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
I don't know any of the tricks having never needed to use them. I know where to find them or find the people that can teach me though!
The wiki has some good info including the rondelle reset. But this thread all by itself is a great resource for everything else regarding these seats, compensation, and so on.

Feel free to ask any questions though.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 9:06 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
SQL slave != Data Scientist
Old Feb 8, 2019, 9:08 pm

... or gladly fly in Y or PY...
Let's not get crazy
lallied and JordanYVR like this.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 4:35 pm

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
If you really want to make a dent in AC to the point where they'll start to notice, get your corporate TAs involved in the issue, have them think twice about booking AC J for their passengers. If several of the largest corporations in Canada choose CX J over say AC J to Asia, the effects will be bigger than all of us collectively boycotting AC J.
Might not be as easy as that. The largest corporations in Canada often have binding long-term travel contracts with Air Canada for their employees, making a switch to Cathay or anybody else unlikely or impossible. The employer receives discounted bulk travel, the employee receives bed sores. For now, AC is the only carrier that makes sense to Canadian companies who send their staff to more than a handful of destinations.

It's always amusing when the SD is watching those of us with pancakes play the rondelle reset game
It's also amusing to know that AC is watching those of you with pancakes unfailingly ante up for new J tickets.

It's all fine and dandy to discuss the lie-flat issues people have and work-arounds but long run AC needs to know full well that us loyalist aren't gonna put up with it for too much longer.
Good one. How long does it have to be before the loyalists lose their allegiance? "If you don't fix this by the end of this year, or next, or ok fine, the one after that, then I'm definitely going to take my business elsew...ooh, look a seat sale."
Old Feb 9, 2019, 4:51 pm

Programs: AC SEMM
Originally Posted by Bohemian1
I'm the process of researching something exactly like this. Just need something that packs down well.

And, if end up having to use it, I will film it and tweet about it. WIth attribution to AC, of course.
Originally Posted by mendy7511
Can you share a link?
I found this, but it is too big to pack in a carry on.
Sorry for delay in answering.

I bought the
Moon Lence Sleeping Pad Moon Lence Sleeping Pad
. Was $40, sorry not $30. Folded size:8" x 3.5",inflated size:73" x 21.6" x 2.2" per their claims. Didn't measure it myself, but seems right. Mind you, when I repacked it, it ended up being closer to 11" long rather than 8" but still small. You wouldn't think twice about putting it in your carry-on. Squeezes in to any little gap. Very light. Seatguru has AC seats at 80" pitch and 21" width, so I am hoping it is an OK fit if and when I have to use it in anger.

If and when I do use and share, I think the trick is to use humour. Anything else will come across as entitled and whiny, but a post with #AirCanadaCamping as the tag might get some chuckles.
CZAMFlyer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.