Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Deflategate; new executive pods deflating in-flight

Deflategate; new executive pods deflating in-flight

Hide Wikipost
Old Mar 21, 19, 9:03 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: yyznomad
Wiki Link
Click here to go to a picture of the White Compensation Form and its stub

View Deflated Seat History Here (Database for submitted occurrences)
Enter New Deflated Seat Occurrence Here (Submit one if you have experienced deflated seat and it will show up in the database above)
----
From post #49 in this thread, here's one potential way to (re)inflate an AC seat:
  • Go the home screen "Your Seat". (find this on the seat side panel; not the main video screen)
  • Hold the top left hand corner "Air Canada" (with AC logo) for 3 seconds. Updated (Apr 9 18): may need to hold for as long as 45 seconds for key pad to appear
  • Dial pad shows up - hit 3-2-1.
  • Press "Reset Lumbar Support"
Note that this method has not met 100% success so YMMV.
A better method is for a crew member to use the reset switch under the seat, on the aisle side.

Compensation offers (green/white sheet completed)
40K AE- Apr 18 (50% back of the J class one way redemption)
2018 Jun - $500 coupon
2018 Sep $1,000 eCoupon or 40K AP (P fare TPAC)
2018 Sep $150 eCoupon (P fare TPAC) (no change on protest)

Compensation offers (no green/white sheet completed)
100K - May 5 (C$150 eCoupon; was moved to a functioning seat after meal service)
2017 Sept - 8,000 AE miles - reported via complaint web page after realizing it was a faulty seat, not standard discomfort; Asked for return of eUps but they declined.
2017 Nov & 2018 Feb - $500 coupons both times (second time on protest that $500 had been offered the previous time)
2018 Sep. $250 coupon (on a paid J TATL).
2018 Nov - $500 eCoupon (J TATL)

Have a Service Director (SD) That Is Giving You the Case of the Shrugs? Like the real life version of this ASCII emoji -> ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ?

No success with the SD and/or crew rectifying your deflated seat and you can't be/aren't accommodated to another J seat? If you asked for a compensation form and the SD says they have no idea what you are talking about, you can use the below picture of the stub portion to help freshen their memory (better than nothing)...

Please note that for the longest time, the "Green Compensation Form" version was used, and there have been recent reports of the "White Compensation Form" replacing the Green version. Reports here have indicated that the two forms are virtually identical except for the colour.

Here is a snapshot of the full form, courtesy of canadiancow

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30914753-post1458.html
Originally Posted by canadiancow View Post
I've been meaning to post this for a while. This is the whole form.

The left section and the tear-off piece were filled out entirely by the SD.

My name was filled out by the SD.

I filled out my address, email, status, Aeroplan number, phone, and chose which type of compensation I wanted.

The main part of the form goes back to the SD, and the passenger keeps the little piece on the right side.

This is only the stub portion, courtesy of lallied
Originally Posted by lallied View Post

There’s a main section which the SD fills in and detachable section you get to keep. Each has a reference number. It looks like the green one to me except it’s white.

Example
Mattress pads purchased and listed in this thread
Print Wikipost

Old Feb 4, 19, 8:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE100K, 1MM, NH, DL, AA, GE/Nexus, APEC..
As some here already know, I just had THREE deflated seats in FOUR days.

That’s right folks, you too can win the pancake seat lottery. Repeatedly. And you too can also receive crap compensation with amounts that are even lower than previously.

Others I know received far more for he same flight length so it seems that spending the money to become MM and remain SE - and even paying for J - is not working in my favor.

And yes, I know what you’re thinking, stop flying AC until they fix or replace the seats. Indeed, in a text exchange with a fellow FTer, he strongly suggested I “date other birds”.

Perhaps it is time for a “separation”, and consider my options re dating others.

Further, neither I nor the THREE SDs could reset the seats. And there were no empty seats to move to.

AC 16 Fin 735, seat 1D
AC 101 Fin 849, seat 4D
AC 4 also Fin 849, seat 8K

And on the AC 101 flight, there were multiple deflated seats and the SD told me all of us knew the rondelle reset, but it either didn’t work or inflated briefly.

On AC 4, my seat inflated but then deflated in time segments ranging from 45 minutes to just under 2 hours.

AC 16 alone was misery across the Pacific.

And, I have not received any communication re AC 16

So sitting up here in a still-inflated expensive seat on AC 15, I am looking out the window while over China, thinking about the joy and comfort - and NON-deflating seats from my recent flights on.....
BR’s beautiful new B789
NZ’s B789 and B777
UA’s B777 Polaris
just to name a few

mamau, D582, yrp and 3 others like this.
Old Feb 4, 19, 8:58 pm

Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
@24left - A few people have hinted about this, but is the comp now being offered substantially different from the 'standard' range as noted in the wiki?

In other words, does Air Canada care even less about us than before?
Old Feb 4, 19, 9:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE100K, 1MM, NH, DL, AA, GE/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by Bohemian1 View Post
@24left - A few people have hinted about this, but is the comp now being offered substantially different from the 'standard' range as noted in the wiki?

In other words, does Air Canada care even less about us than before?
I know I received the usual $1,000 last year for one on AC 18 and once $300 for a transcon

My AC 16 currntly is zero reply
AC 4 was well below the standard

So, perhaps as another FT friend just suggested, maybe AC has decided to either randomly lower amounts or set a limit on the number of forms in a set period for an individual pax.

He thought that while being SE MM should work in my favor, he thinks I fly AC too much and that is working against me.

I’m certainly NOT the only one who who is experiencing these frequently but I seem to be on the receiving end of zero to crap now

AC knows that non AC FFs in paid J may not know that sitting on wood and metal rods is the way the seat was meant to be.....and since cabins are mostly full....
Old Feb 4, 19, 10:35 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, BA Silver, Marriott Platinum, Accor Platinum, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by j2simpso View Post
Great news, folks, it appears DeflateGate, at least on select long haul flights is a thing of the past! In particular, it would appear that AC is now handing out mattresses which ameliorates the issue altogether.
It might help to have some first-hand, or at least in-depth, knowledge of a problem before declaring it to be resolved.
Old Feb 5, 19, 12:41 am

Programs: AC E35K
Originally Posted by yyznomad View Post
I see.

From your profile info on the left, it looks like you're E35K? I wonder if status has any relationship to compensation? I haven't kept tabs on the anecdotal compensation posts in this thread. The most recent ones have been monetary comp, but from what I can recall, it was for mainly E50K and up... were there any non-status or lower-status AC passengers with deflated seats who received similar dollar amounts to say, SEs? (comparing similar base fare and flight length only as this makes it more "apples to apples")
I'm sure status does have a relationship with response times but not sure about compensation amount. The last time I had a deflated seat between LHR and YYZ I was given 20,000 miles while is in line with what I've heard here. I'm hoping I will eventually get 40,000 for this pair of deflated seats.
Old Feb 5, 19, 3:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC E75K 2MM former 14-year SE; UA MP Silver; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by chazbag View Post
I'm sure status does have a relationship with response times but not sure about compensation amount. The last time I had a deflated seat between LHR and YYZ I was given 20,000 miles while is in line with what I've heard here. I'm hoping I will eventually get 40,000 for this pair of deflated seats.
Right, but people have posted about receiving actual cash... or did you request the AP miles instead?
Old Feb 5, 19, 5:03 am
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Originally Posted by 24left View Post
As some here already know, I just had THREE deflated seats in FOUR days.

That’s right folks, you too can win the pancake seat lottery. Repeatedly. And you too can also receive crap compensation with amounts that are even lower than previously.

Others I know received far more for he same flight length so it seems that spending the money to become MM and remain SE - and even paying for J - is not working in my favor.

And yes, I know what you’re thinking, stop flying AC until they fix or replace the seats. Indeed, in a text exchange with a fellow FTer, he strongly suggested I “date other birds”.

Perhaps it is time for a “separation”, and consider my options re dating others.

Further, neither I nor the THREE SDs could reset the seats. And there were no empty seats to move to.

AC 16 Fin 735, seat 1D
AC 101 Fin 849, seat 4D
AC 4 also Fin 849, seat 8K

And on the AC 101 flight, there were multiple deflated seats and the SD told me all of us knew the rondelle reset, but it either didn’t work or inflated briefly.

On AC 4, my seat inflated but then deflated in time segments ranging from 45 minutes to just under 2 hours.

AC 16 alone was misery across the Pacific.

And, I have not received any communication re AC 16

So sitting up here in a still-inflated expensive seat on AC 15, I am looking out the window while over China, thinking about the joy and comfort - and NON-deflating seats from my recent flights on.....
BR’s beautiful new B789
NZ’s B789 and B777
UA’s B777 Polaris
just to name a few

I am off AC for a while to give those pumps plenty of time to recover their energy to reinflate the bags. (I was wondering whether the brief respite last year was that some pumps were replaced pending bag replacement but now they too are failing) However, I noticed a) slower replies b) not being contacted unless I wrote in however long I waited c) for some was advised would not compensate until had confirmed with crew and d) that they said were having issues with balancing real issues vs non real issues. Which sounded to me as a slew of claims not all of which could be validated. I sympathize. But my rear and shoulders have requested a respite period.
24left likes this.
Old Feb 5, 19, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC S100K, A3*S, SPG Gold, CC Gold, HH Diamond
d) that they said were having issues with balancing real issues vs non real issues. Which sounded to me as a slew of claims not all of which could be validated. I sympathize.
That's actually an interesting one. While I also sympathize, they brought this upon themselves.

If they tried that crap with me, I'd do a chargeback.

They could also try something like refunding part of the fare when it happens. That way, a "scammer" on a $1000 mistake fare isn't getting their entire round-trip paid for, but someone on a $10k ticket doesn't feel taken advantage of.
Old Feb 5, 19, 11:46 am
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

That's actually an interesting one. While I also sympathize, they brought this upon themselves.

If they tried that crap with me, I'd do a chargeback.

They could also try something like refunding part of the fare when it happens. That way, a "scammer" on a $1000 mistake fare isn't getting their entire round-trip paid for, but someone on a $10k ticket doesn't feel taken advantage of.
Personally am unimpressed with discount coupons of a few percent and $200 vouchers. You have to travel again, can’t combine them (unless a very cheap fare) and they overall result in perhaps a 5-10% reduction in airfare overall. I can get that through watching for deals or flying other carriers without having to spend a sleepless night in a situation I just spent 6k to avoid.
Old Feb 5, 19, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC S100K, A3*S, SPG Gold, CC Gold, HH Diamond

Personally am unimpressed with discount coupons of a few percent and $200 vouchers. You have to travel again, can’t combine them (unless a very cheap fare) and they overall result in perhaps a 5-10% reduction in airfare overall. I can get that through watching for deals or flying other carriers without having to spend a sleepless night in a situation I just spent 6k to avoid.
I received $500 for a TATL and 25% for a TATL.

The 25% was worth more than $500 when I used it.

So I'll gladly take your percentage codes
Old Feb 5, 19, 1:27 pm
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

I received $500 for a TATL and 25% for a TATL.

The 25% was worth more than $500 when I used it.

So I'll gladly take your percentage codes
I don’t disagree the TATL and TPACs could be useful but the TCs are hopeless. But will pass on if have any won’t be able to use.
Old Feb 5, 19, 4:00 pm

Programs: AC E35K
Originally Posted by yyznomad View Post
Right, but people have posted about receiving actual cash... or did you request the AP miles instead?
In the past I've always asked to be able to choose between money and AP miles to see what's offered. I've only ever been offered discounts (always 500 CAD) and all things considered I reckon the miles are generally more useful for me.
Old Feb 5, 19, 5:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC E75K 2MM former 14-year SE; UA MP Silver; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
In the past I've always asked to be able to choose between money and AP miles to see what's offered. I've only ever been offered discounts (always 500 CAD) and all things considered I reckon the miles are generally more useful for me.
Fair enough. Definitely a preference thing.
Old Feb 5, 19, 5:56 pm

Programs: AC SE100K
Agreed. If I'm looking at doing YYZ-YVR in J, a $1000 voucher is only 25% off; yet 40,000 AP points for a deflated TPAC seat is 80% of an AP J-class reward redemption. So the 40,000 AP compensation + ~35,000 AP points for the TPAC flight makes a J-class redemption free (and can cover the additional charges if you use your points to pay for those, too).
Old Feb 5, 19, 8:51 pm
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Gold Elite, IHG Gold
I get a few mixed emotions when I read this thread.

1. For many of you who are seemingly good people, I feel bad/sad
2. I feel guilty that it never happens to me
3. I know my time is coming and I live in constant fear

Search this Thread