Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Deflategate; new executive pods deflating in-flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 20, 2017, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Argonaut1000
Click here to go to a picture of the White Compensation Form and its stub

View Deflated Seat History Here (Database for submitted occurrences)
Enter New Deflated Seat Occurrence Here (Submit one if you have experienced deflated seat and it will show up in the database above)
----
From post #49 in this thread, here's one potential way to (re)inflate an AC seat:
  • Go the home screen "Your Seat". (find this on the seat side panel; not the main video screen)
    • Hold the top left hand corner "Air Canada" (with AC logo) for 3 seconds. Updated (Apr 9 18): may need to hold for as long as 45 seconds for key pad to appear
      • Dial pad shows up - hit 3-2-1.
        • Press "Reset Lumbar Support"
Note that this method has not met 100% success so YMMV.
A better method is for a crew member to use the reset switch under the seat, on the aisle side.

Compensation offers (green/white sheet completed)
40K AE- Apr 18 (50% back of the J class one way redemption)
2018 Jun - $500 coupon
2018 Sep $1,000 eCoupon or 40K AP (P fare TPAC)
2018 Sep $500 eCoupon (P fare TPAC) (no change on protest- update - 6 months later the $150 was increased to $500 - admitted they had made an error)

Compensation offers (no green/white sheet completed)
100K - May 5 (C$150 eCoupon; was moved to a functioning seat after meal service)
2017 Sept - 8,000 AE miles - reported via complaint web page after realizing it was a faulty seat, not standard discomfort; Asked for return of eUps but they declined.
2017 Nov & 2018 Feb - $500 coupons both times (second time on protest that $500 had been offered the previous time)
2018 Sep. $250 coupon (on a paid J TATL).
2018 Nov - $500 eCoupon (J TATL)

Standard eCoupon compensation offers (no haggling; following a recurring pattern)
~10+ hours: $1000
Long TPAC (TPE-YVR)

~6 to ~10 hours: $500
Short TPAC (NRT-YVR)
TATL
South America: YYZ-GRU

less than ~6 hours: 300
TCON

Have a Service Director (SD) That Is Giving You the Case of the Shrugs? Like the real life version of this ASCII emoji -> ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ?

No success with the SD and/or crew rectifying your deflated seat and you can't be/aren't accommodated to another J seat? If you asked for a compensation form and the SD says they have no idea what you are talking about, you can use the below picture of the stub portion to help freshen their memory (better than nothing)...

Please note that for the longest time, the "Green Compensation Form" version was used, and there have been recent reports of the "White Compensation Form" replacing the Green version. Reports here have indicated that the two forms are virtually identical except for the colour.
There is now an even newer White Form which explicitly lists "deflated seat" and "deflated seat and fixed", among many other items.

Here is a snapshot of the NEWEST full form (as of August 2019), courtesy of lallied

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31421855-post2093.html
Originally Posted by lallied
Clearly jinxed myself. New form in case hasnt been posted before.

Oops, see it has been. I just didn’t look far enough down ☹️

This is only the stub portion, courtesy of lallied

There’s a main section which the SD fills in and detachable section you get to keep. Each has a reference number. It looks like the green one to me except it’s white.

Example

Mattress pads purchased and listed in this thread

Print Wikipost

Deflategate; new executive pods deflating in-flight

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2019, 8:26 am

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by jc94
Are you a SE? Reason I ask is I like your post and it's very helpful but I take huge offense at this comment: "our top tier customers look forward to the additional comforts of their Business Class seats".
I think it is reasonable to conclude that in this context, top tier customer = customer who is seated in the business cabin.
mamau and yyckerr like this.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by songsc

Yea, as if the compensation is coming from their pay checks.
I just had a MEL flight with deflated seat, 2 hour delay so missed my train, no meal selection and no concierge help despite multiple calls. SD : will write up don’t need form. AC Reply : no form no comp but we will offer you a (low) discount coupon. Ha ha. (And yes am looking at other carriers for future travel now)
Old Jan 26, 2019, 3:08 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
I don't understand the issue with SDs not providing the forms. Why would they do this? Surely it's just a few minutes of work on a long-haul flight where cabin crew typically have some downtime? Plus for any customer-facing employee, it feels good to be able offer compensation to a customer for something outside your control to actually fix. What do they get out of denying the form even when it's specifically requested?
Old Jan 26, 2019, 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by eigenvector
I don't understand the issue with SDs not providing the forms. Why would they do this? Surely it's just a few minutes of work on a long-haul flight where cabin crew typically have some downtime? Plus for any customer-facing employee, it feels good to be able offer compensation to a customer for something outside your control to actually fix. What do they get out of denying the form even when it's specifically requested?
If you insist long and hard enough it might. And some are great and bring quickly without being asked. In my experience if they don’t offer when they are informed of deflated seat have to chase. So - report x times. Then wait. No form appears. Ask FA to ask SD. No form. Ask SD rushing past again who says will get to it. Ask again. Land, give up. Fume a while at home. Write in to AC even though know what reply will be. Get reply. Fume about the implication making it up for gain. Rinse and repeat.

And I have no idea why. Even for my meal they were profusely apologetic and insisted they would compensate me but gave no form. As I didn’t really want yet another coupon didn’t actually ask for one,but they certainly seemed sure that all that was needed was some note on manifest. One assumes just not sure of process rather than a deliberate policy. Or maybe the seat manufacturer won’t reimburse AC if they don’t have a paper trail.

Last edited by lallied; Jan 26, 2019 at 3:24 pm
Old Jan 26, 2019, 7:14 pm

Been reading this post and it has me concerned. I have booked LAX-YYZ-LHR in J but just noticed availability open on a SAS flight through ARN. Do you all suggest I switch to SAS or am I overthinking it? Secondly, are delated seats more likely to be found on the 777 or 787 (my flights are both on 787-9). Thanks!
Old Jan 26, 2019, 7:20 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by freakfor747
Been reading this post and it has me concerned. I have booked LAX-YYZ-LHR in J but just noticed availability open on a SAS flight through ARN. Do you all suggest I switch to SAS or am I overthinking it? Secondly, are delated seats more likely to be found on the 777 or 787 (my flights are both on 787-9). Thanks!
I think the chance of a deflated seat is more or less equal on the 777 and 787. It's the same seat design either way. I've had deflation on both and the tracker (see Wiki page) shows the same for others.
mamau and freakfor747 like this.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 3:46 am

Originally Posted by freakfor747
My only option is AC from home town. I also have access to concierge service which can be handy even when not in airport. If those weren’t factors in decision and price was right I would certainly consider SAS and avoid YYZ as well especially in winter. The pods aren’t ideal for side sleepers either - and exacerbates discomfort within deflated seat. On the other hand the real incidence may be 10% or less. Certainly have never been aware of more than 3- 4 seats flat on any one flight. Nonetheless it ruins the flight and a coupon after the fact in no way makes up for the lost sleep but most NB the hassle of standing in aisles repeatedly while seats are fiddled with, swapping, etc.
freakfor747 likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 5:16 am

If you insist long and hard enough it might. And some are great and bring quickly without being asked. In my experience if they don’t offer when they are informed of deflated seat have to chase. So - report x times. Then wait. No form appears. Ask FA to ask SD. No form. Ask SD rushing past again who says will get to it. Ask again. Land, give up. Fume a while at home. Write in to AC even though know what reply will be. Get reply. Fume about the implication making it up for gain. Rinse and repeat.

And I have no idea why. Even for my meal they were profusely apologetic and insisted they would compensate me but gave no form. As I didn’t really want yet another coupon didn’t actually ask for one,but they certainly seemed sure that all that was needed was some note on manifest. One assumes just not sure of process rather than a deliberate policy. Or maybe the seat manufacturer won’t reimburse AC if they don’t have a paper trail.
On 101 fin 852 and backrest 8A pancaked on boarding. Immediately called SD who tried to persuade me I was wrong while prodding foam headrest area. Eventually agreed was in fact deflated. Reset both ways and no go. Told me cabin full and can’t switch (lots of UGs but don’t like to do that anyway). Said he would bring me mattress covers. No offer of form. So this time asked for white slip. Said didn’t know what that was. Said want compensation form. Said he will try and make it up to me during flight. Said no, want comp form as am sick of deflated seats and without a form AC won’t accept that actually was deflated.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 6:22 am

Programs: Aeroplan, SPG/Marriott, Radisson Rewards
No offer of form. So this time asked for white slip. Said didn’t know what that was. Said want compensation form. Said he will try and make it up to me during flight. Said no, want comp form as am sick of deflated seats and without a form AC won’t accept that actually was deflated.
Bolding mine. WHAT? That's either a straight up lie or training has hit rock bottom. Please, write in.

"make it up to me during flight" is also not at all acceptable cosidering money paid (through wallet, status,p oints, or otherwise). Absolutely nuts.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 6:52 am

Originally Posted by D404
Bolding mine. WHAT? That's either a straight up lie or training has hit rock bottom. Please, write in.

"make it up to me during flight" is also not at all acceptable cosidering money paid (through wallet, status,p oints, or otherwise). Absolutely nuts.
To clarify. Said he didn’t know what a white slip /form was. Had to say wanted compensation form even if just to document so AC customer service doesn’t say don’t believe me if no form. 90min later still on ground and still no form/slip. Can see am going to have to keep nagging.

(it’s embarrasing. I don’t even want their $200 as can’t use anyway. But if
not documented .....)
Old Jan 27, 2019, 7:33 am

Programs: AC SE100k
I'm far from an AC apologist, but just to put some perspective on it: out of the 20 AC 777/787 J flights I did in 2018, I only suffered a deflated seat once. This was early in my BA -> AC transition, and didn't realize that the seats could be reset, so just put up with it. Perhaps a reset would have sorted it -- who knows. Having said that, these seats whilst deflated do really suck, and one should really get some compensation for having to suffer it.

In reality, though, based on my own personal experience in 2018, as there is only about a 5% chance of getting a deflated seat -- not sure if it's worth really disrupting one's plans to avoid it. I certainly haven't switched back to BA over it (although I really do hope that AC sorts this out ASAP). Having an SD refuse me compensation might admittedly change my thinking, though.

I really hope I didn't just jinx myself with this post.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC

i am shooting 25% overall. I was asking myself that very question last night but all
my stuff was booked a year ago. Is certainly affecting my future plans with other carriers being cheaper as well.
@lallied

I've updated the wiki to include a picture of the White Compensation Form stub that you had posted way upthread - just for easier access for those who find themselves in a situation where the SD "is not aware of any compensation form", or similar. Maybe showing them the picture will help remind them... or not. But doesn't hurt to try.

Now having said that, perhaps AC removed all in-flight compensation forms and we don't know about it yet?
Bohemian1 likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 9:49 am

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS

To clarify. Said he didn’t know what a white slip /form was. Had to say wanted compensation form even if just to document so AC customer service doesn’t say don’t believe me if no form. 90min later still on ground and still no form/slip. Can see am going to have to keep nagging.

not documented .....)
Wow. I’m so sorry to hear you having these negative experiences. Whilst I’ve been very unfortunate to have a lot of deflations, I’ve never experienced such a useless crew. If this happened to me I would fire off an email to the concierge requesting they bring a form to the plane upon arrival. Maybe also bring an Inflight Services manager too.

Originally Posted by SuperCargo
I'm far from an AC apologist, but just to put some perspective on it: out of the 20 AC 777/787 J flights I did in 2018, I only suffered a deflated seat once. This was early in my BA -> AC transition, and didn't realize that the seats could be reset, so just put up with it. Perhaps a reset would have sorted it -- who knows. Having said that, these seats whilst deflated do really suck, and one should really get some compensation for having to suffer it.

In reality, though, based on my own personal experience in 2018, as there is only about a 5% chance of getting a deflated seat -- not sure if it's worth really disrupting one's plans to avoid it. I certainly haven't switched back to BA over it (although I really do hope that AC sorts this out ASAP). Having an SD refuse me compensation might admittedly change my thinking, though.

I really hope I didn't just jinx myself with this post.
You are lucky. I had about 10 deflations in 2018. Only 1 on a long haul thankfully. The rest were TCONs. On 3 of them I had used eCoupons from previous deflations, so just ended up getting back those vouchers basically.

2019 is not off to a great start. Out of 6 flights so far, I’ve had 3 deflations. 2 on long hauls, one on a TCON red eye. Luckily on the TCON it only happened at around 11000 feet prior to landing. I’ve got another long haul tomorrow so fingers crossed.

Most recent was 4K on Fin 832. Guy in front of me in 3K also had same issue. He mentioned he had it a few times last year but didn’t realise the seats were broken and that you could get compensation form. Now he knows. SD was awesome, knew about the issue, and ranted how he wishes AC would just replace the seats with non-inflatable ones.

Originally Posted by yyznomad
@lallied

I've updated the wiki to include a picture of the White Compensation Form stub that you had posted way upthread - just for easier access for those who find themselves in a situation where the SD "is not aware of any compensation form", or similar. Maybe showing them the picture will help remind them... or not. But doesn't hurt to try.

Now having said that, perhaps AC removed all in-flight compensation forms and we don't know about it yet?
I take photos of all the forms I fill out so I have a record, but could also be a good reminder (cough... retraining ... cough) tool for useless crews. I have green and white version pictures readily available.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 11:40 am

Programs: Aeroplan, SPG/Marriott, Radisson Rewards
Originally Posted by D582
If this happened to me I would fire off an email to the concierge requesting they bring a form to the plane upon arrival. Maybe also bring an Inflight Services manager too.
What should a non-SE do? Fill in the black hole form, wait a few weeks, and get a "too bad no form"? :/

Originally Posted by D582
I take photos of all the forms I fill out so I have a record, but could also be a good reminder (cough... retraining ... cough) tool for useless crews. I have green and white version pictures readily available.
This is a a good idea and I'm going to put these on my phone during flights. My 2018 batting average for deflates was somewhere like 20-30%.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 11:44 am

not documented .....)
Update. They swear no form on plane. Have a card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.