Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Deflategate; new executive pods deflating in-flight

Deflategate; new executive pods deflating in-flight

Hide Wikipost
Old Mar 21, 19, 9:03 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: yyznomad
Wiki Link
Click here to go to a picture of the White Compensation Form and its stub

View Deflated Seat History Here (Database for submitted occurrences)
Enter New Deflated Seat Occurrence Here (Submit one if you have experienced deflated seat and it will show up in the database above)
----
From post #49 in this thread, here's one potential way to (re)inflate an AC seat:
  • Go the home screen "Your Seat". (find this on the seat side panel; not the main video screen)
  • Hold the top left hand corner "Air Canada" (with AC logo) for 3 seconds. Updated (Apr 9 18): may need to hold for as long as 45 seconds for key pad to appear
  • Dial pad shows up - hit 3-2-1.
  • Press "Reset Lumbar Support"
Note that this method has not met 100% success so YMMV.
A better method is for a crew member to use the reset switch under the seat, on the aisle side.

Compensation offers (green/white sheet completed)
40K AE- Apr 18 (50% back of the J class one way redemption)
2018 Jun - $500 coupon
2018 Sep $1,000 eCoupon or 40K AP (P fare TPAC)
2018 Sep $150 eCoupon (P fare TPAC) (no change on protest)

Compensation offers (no green/white sheet completed)
100K - May 5 (C$150 eCoupon; was moved to a functioning seat after meal service)
2017 Sept - 8,000 AE miles - reported via complaint web page after realizing it was a faulty seat, not standard discomfort; Asked for return of eUps but they declined.
2017 Nov & 2018 Feb - $500 coupons both times (second time on protest that $500 had been offered the previous time)
2018 Sep. $250 coupon (on a paid J TATL).
2018 Nov - $500 eCoupon (J TATL)

Have a Service Director (SD) That Is Giving You the Case of the Shrugs? Like the real life version of this ASCII emoji -> ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ?

No success with the SD and/or crew rectifying your deflated seat and you can't be/aren't accommodated to another J seat? If you asked for a compensation form and the SD says they have no idea what you are talking about, you can use the below picture of the stub portion to help freshen their memory (better than nothing)...

Please note that for the longest time, the "Green Compensation Form" version was used, and there have been recent reports of the "White Compensation Form" replacing the Green version. Reports here have indicated that the two forms are virtually identical except for the colour.

Here is a snapshot of the full form, courtesy of canadiancow

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30914753-post1458.html
Originally Posted by canadiancow View Post
I've been meaning to post this for a while. This is the whole form.

The left section and the tear-off piece were filled out entirely by the SD.

My name was filled out by the SD.

I filled out my address, email, status, Aeroplan number, phone, and chose which type of compensation I wanted.

The main part of the form goes back to the SD, and the passenger keeps the little piece on the right side.

This is only the stub portion, courtesy of lallied
Originally Posted by lallied View Post

There’s a main section which the SD fills in and detachable section you get to keep. Each has a reference number. It looks like the green one to me except it’s white.

Example
Mattress pads purchased and listed in this thread
Print Wikipost

Old Jan 16, 19, 2:38 pm

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-2MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
Originally Posted by J. Leslie View Post

And yet you both continue to book TPAC on AC. Is there no other carrier flying to Asia? Frankly, if I was AC, I wouldn’t bother to fix them, either. You’ll keep buying fares anyway.
Odds dictate the numbers should get better for me... Plus i am compensated for the inconvenience.

I do not like flying TPAC on an Asian carrier as I find all the cabins too hot- i just cannot sleep (and yes i have tried most of the majors over the years) . Not that interested in flying UA- have refused to fly them long haul ever since the 4 middle seat debacle (not to mention backward-facing) . Does not really leave a lot of choices, does it ?

Lastly, I am quite close to 3MM, so it would be kind of foolish of me to fly another Carrier.
J. Leslie and lallied like this.
Old Jan 16, 19, 5:00 pm
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Gold Elite, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by mamau View Post
AC 90, Jan 14, FIN 743. Seats 2K, 5K and 5G were not inflating on the ground. J cabin was full so good times were had.
I was in J the day before on AC 90. Glad I dodged that bullet.
Old Jan 16, 19, 5:03 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum
This is a noob question. If I'm flying on an award ticket, am I a "non-rev" for the purposes of having to swap with someone whose seat is deflated?
Old Jan 16, 19, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC E75K 2MM former 14-year SE; UA MP Silver; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by nexusCFX View Post
This is a noob question. If I'm flying on an award ticket, am I a "non-rev" for the purposes of having to swap with someone whose seat is deflated?
No.
A reward ticket like Aeroplan is still considered revenue, and the AC PIL does not distinguish between a reward booking and say, a booking made on aircanada.com.
canadiancow and nexusCFX like this.
Old Jan 16, 19, 6:00 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Non revs are firstly AC staff and then ... eUps in reverse status order? An E35k would be kicked and refunded their copay before a SEMM?
Old Jan 16, 19, 7:02 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by yyznomad View Post
No.
A reward ticket like Aeroplan is still considered revenue, and the AC PIL does not distinguish between a reward booking and say, a booking made on aircanada.com.
Originally Posted by jc94 View Post
Non revs are firstly AC staff and then ... eUps in reverse status order? An E35k would be kicked and refunded their copay before a SEMM?
Good to hear. I have a ton of award bookings on SFO-YYZ-SFO so I'm glad @canadiancow cannot banish me to a deflated seat.
Plumber likes this.
Old Jan 17, 19, 11:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend and Moderator: Air Canada Aeroplan & Manufactured Spending

Exclamation

It seemed very self-evident that this is a thread focused on deflating AC business class seats yet I just had to delete a half dozen posts about UA! Folks, please try harder to stick to the thread topic.

tcook052
AC forum moderator
Old Jan 17, 19, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC S100K, A3*S, SPG Gold, CC Gold, HH Diamond
If you've used eUps, you're a revenue passenger.
ridefar and nexusCFX like this.
Old Jan 17, 19, 6:56 pm

Programs: AC SE 1MM, SPG LT PLT
If you've used eUps, you're a revenue passenger.
To add to this, I don't believe that the cabin crew can (under normal circumstances) tell if you are an eUpgrade. The one exception may be if they are short on meals and the gate agent actually knows this in time to note this on the manifest, otherwise they shouldn't know. Somebody correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think they would know. Even short meals have to be communicated -- if the GA doesn't do anything, the cabin crew has no way of knowing. AFAIK.
Old Jan 17, 19, 7:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ridefar View Post
To add to this, I don't believe that the cabin crew can (under normal circumstances) tell if you are an eUpgrade. The one exception may be if they are short on meals and the gate agent actually knows this in time to note this on the manifest, otherwise they shouldn't know. Somebody correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think they would know. Even short meals have to be communicated -- if the GA doesn't do anything, the cabin crew has no way of knowing. AFAIK.
Gate upgrades are indicated on the manifest, but only in the context of meals.

If there's a problem with your seat, you want to change, and the cabin's full, you need to deal with the GA before the door closes.
ridefar likes this.
Old Jan 17, 19, 7:02 pm

Programs: AC SE 1MM, SPG LT PLT
Gate upgrades are indicated on the manifest, but only in the context of meals.

If there's a problem with your seat, you want to change, and the cabin's full, you need to deal with the GA before the door closes.
If my upgrade clears 2 weeks in advance, does that count as a gate upgrade? (Just wondering if there is something to distinguish between a pre-cleared eUp, a complimentary upgrade via Lat FP, and a lottery gate upgrade?)
Old Jan 17, 19, 7:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC E75K 2MM former 14-year SE; UA MP Silver; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by ridefar View Post
If my upgrade clears 2 weeks in advance, does that count as a gate upgrade? (Just wondering if there is something to distinguish between a pre-cleared eUp, a complimentary upgrade via Lat FP, and a lottery gate upgrade?)
No. If your upgrade clears before DCS then there will be no such ML*1 code in the remarks section, which is what @canadiancow is talking about.

The crew will have no idea that you were a confirmed upgrade (via eUpgrades) and that you cleared whatever it is you needed to clear in advance to get you in your J seat.
ridefar likes this.
Old Jan 17, 19, 8:08 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
So to confirm then the only people who can be switched out for a deflated seat are AC staff, their family and friends?
Old Jan 17, 19, 9:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

So to confirm then the only people who can be switched out for a deflated seat are AC staff, their family and friends?
No. GAs can downgrade anyone if there's a defective seat.

If they acknowledge the seat is defective, the cabin becomes overbooked, and they handle it the same way they would a last-minute deadheading pilot.
JordanYVR and jc94 like this.
Old Jan 18, 19, 6:35 pm

Programs: AC*SE100K, AC*MM, Marriott Platinum Elite
Upper portion of mattress deflated on seat 7A, AC873 FRA-YYZ, Jan18. Fin 740. C-FIVQ. Multiple resets did not resolve.

Last edited by sweden05; Jan 18, 19 at 6:37 pm Reason: Added aircraft ID

Search this Thread