Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Deflategate; new executive pods deflating in-flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 20, 2017, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Argonaut1000
Click here to go to a picture of the White Compensation Form and its stub

View Deflated Seat History Here (Database for submitted occurrences)
Enter New Deflated Seat Occurrence Here (Submit one if you have experienced deflated seat and it will show up in the database above)
----
From post #49 in this thread, here's one potential way to (re)inflate an AC seat:
  • Go the home screen "Your Seat". (find this on the seat side panel; not the main video screen)
    • Hold the top left hand corner "Air Canada" (with AC logo) for 3 seconds. Updated (Apr 9 18): may need to hold for as long as 45 seconds for key pad to appear
      • Dial pad shows up - hit 3-2-1.
        • Press "Reset Lumbar Support"
Note that this method has not met 100% success so YMMV.
A better method is for a crew member to use the reset switch under the seat, on the aisle side.

Compensation offers (green/white sheet completed)
40K AE- Apr 18 (50% back of the J class one way redemption)
2018 Jun - $500 coupon
2018 Sep $1,000 eCoupon or 40K AP (P fare TPAC)
2018 Sep $500 eCoupon (P fare TPAC) (no change on protest- update - 6 months later the $150 was increased to $500 - admitted they had made an error)

Compensation offers (no green/white sheet completed)
100K - May 5 (C$150 eCoupon; was moved to a functioning seat after meal service)
2017 Sept - 8,000 AE miles - reported via complaint web page after realizing it was a faulty seat, not standard discomfort; Asked for return of eUps but they declined.
2017 Nov & 2018 Feb - $500 coupons both times (second time on protest that $500 had been offered the previous time)
2018 Sep. $250 coupon (on a paid J TATL).
2018 Nov - $500 eCoupon (J TATL)

Standard eCoupon compensation offers (no haggling; following a recurring pattern)
~10+ hours: $1000
Long TPAC (TPE-YVR)

~6 to ~10 hours: $500
Short TPAC (NRT-YVR)
TATL
South America: YYZ-GRU

less than ~6 hours: 300
TCON

Have a Service Director (SD) That Is Giving You the Case of the Shrugs? Like the real life version of this ASCII emoji -> Ż\_(ツ)_/Ż ?

No success with the SD and/or crew rectifying your deflated seat and you can't be/aren't accommodated to another J seat? If you asked for a compensation form and the SD says they have no idea what you are talking about, you can use the below picture of the stub portion to help freshen their memory (better than nothing)...

Please note that for the longest time, the "Green Compensation Form" version was used, and there have been recent reports of the "White Compensation Form" replacing the Green version. Reports here have indicated that the two forms are virtually identical except for the colour.
There is now an even newer White Form which explicitly lists "deflated seat" and "deflated seat and fixed", among many other items.

Here is a snapshot of the NEWEST full form (as of August 2019), courtesy of lallied

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31421855-post2093.html
Originally Posted by lallied
Clearly jinxed myself. New form in case hasnt been posted before.

Oops, see it has been. I just didn’t look far enough down ☹️

This is only the stub portion, courtesy of lallied

There’s a main section which the SD fills in and detachable section you get to keep. Each has a reference number. It looks like the green one to me except it’s white.

Example

Mattress pads purchased and listed in this thread

Print Wikipost

Deflategate; new executive pods deflating in-flight

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2018, 12:32 pm

Programs: E35K, FPC Platinum
Can I ask someone with EF to see if FIN/registration is available for Dec28 AC854 YVR-LHR? I'm on this flight immediately following a 36hr shift and want proper sleep, currently in 6D/G with my wife. Looks like this seat has never been reported deflated based on table above.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 12:35 pm

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by YVRYEGYVR
Can I ask someone with EF to see if FIN/registration is available for Dec28 AC854 YVR-LHR? I'm on this flight immediately following a 36hr shift and want proper sleep, currently in 6D/G with my wife. Looks like this seat has never been reported deflated based on table above.
This information is not in EF. You can find it yourself in the AC Mobile App, however usually no more than 4-5 days ahead of time and it's not uncommon for it to change closer to departure.
YVRYEGYVR likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 2:33 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, SPG/Marriott, Radisson Rewards
AC857 LHR-YYZ, 4A, C-FNOH, 18 December. Bottom half deflated when I boarded, was unable to reinflate. Was moved to a free J seat elsewhere.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 3:51 am

Programs: AC E35K
AC857 LHR to YYZ. Bottom lumbar portion deflated. I reinflated it myself once then the SD did once. Total reset of my seat a couple of times, eventually the seat control panel stopped working so I had limited functionality in seat positioning for about half the flight. Not sure the SD put the control issue down on the comp form as she wouldn't write that part in front of me. I'm going to follow it up and will post compensation amount when it comes through.

As a note, the SD gently blamed me for the seat control crashing because of too many resets. Not sure if that's actually a thing, felt implausible but maybe someone here knows. She says there should only be a maximum of two resets per flight which seems like an arbitrary number?
Old Dec 21, 2018, 5:58 am

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, Bonvoy Gold, HHonors Diamond, VIA Premier, NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by chazbag
AC857 LHR to YYZ. Bottom lumbar portion deflated. I reinflated it myself once then the SD did once. Total reset of my seat a couple of times, eventually the seat control panel stopped working so I had limited functionality in seat positioning for about half the flight. Not sure the SD put the control issue down on the comp form as she wouldn't write that part in front of me. I'm going to follow it up and will post compensation amount when it comes through.

As a note, the SD gently blamed me for the seat control crashing because of too many resets. Not sure if that's actually a thing, felt implausible but maybe someone here knows. She says there should only be a maximum of two resets per flight which seems like an arbitrary number?
Bolding is mine.
That totally sounds like a random number. I had maintenance do it more than twice pre-departure. I spoke with the guy (or guys since it happened more than once) and they never mentioned there was a limited number of reset that could be done. I've also had SD do a reset at least 3 times on some flights.
I wish cabin crew would stop making up stuff as it just creates more confusion than anything else.
canolakid, 24left, D404 and 2 others like this.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 7:01 am

Originally Posted by DNAwizard
Bolding is mine.
That totally sounds like a random number. I had maintenance do it more than twice pre-departure. I spoke with the guy (or guys since it happened more than once) and they never mentioned there was a limited number of reset that could be done. I've also had SD do a reset at least 3 times on some flights.
I wish cabin crew would stop making up stuff as it just creates more confusion than anything else.
I have been told that if they reset more than once may make the seat inoperable. I felt at the time was a brush off rather than fact. but if it’s urban legend more than one source (unless we had the same male SD)
Old Dec 21, 2018, 7:22 am

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
Originally Posted by DNAwizard
I've also had SD do a reset at least 3 times on some flights.
Ditto
24left likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 7:57 am

Programs: AC E35K
I have been told that if they reset more than once may make the seat inoperable. I felt at the time was a brush off rather than fact. but if it’s urban legend more than one source (unless we had the same male SD)
In fairness to her it did make my seat inoperable eventually, but the full reset was only done the first time because the system froze so I'm going to assume it was coincidence. The other times I / we were just doing the regular inflate thing on the control panel.

In in any case I'm pretty frustrated. Second dud seat in a row. If my next one post Christmas I should the same I might switch carriers, it's just not worth the faff and the angst.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 8:16 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Looking at the collection of deflated seats I've had - some the seat itself, most recently the lumbar which was rather painful in sleep mode thus no sleep....

I've had some where the seat was deflated upon boarding. This meant it was left as such from the inbound flight and either that pax didn't know, or report it, or the crew didn't tell maintenance. I advise the SD right away, they call maintenance who come onboard to do their thing. Watching them - and speaking with them where I learn things - is either informative or a bad comedy. (I have a photo of the last pre-departure pancake where the guy is busy pressing the firmer-softer button. And that is helpful how? If one is going to get maintenance, perhaps make sure the person is equipped with the basic knowledge). And this nastiness was for the 16 hour AC 15 to HKG.

On other flights, the SDs have done everything from the rondelle reset (works, sometimes), to the below-the-seat button/switch (also works, sometimes), to some other magical reset (which works, sometimes)

Aside from the painful experience in those seats when at FL390 and there is no other empty J to move to and none of the in-flight resets work, there needs to be a better solution from AC.

While I appreciate that they are working with Boeing or Collins or whoever to fix the problem, it is still ongoing and more of us are experiencing this more often. And AC is not ensuring that someone who paid $5,000 or perhaps more for their long-haul seat, is getting a seat that doesn't pancake.

Further, AC is not providing crews with proper alternate plans when this happens onboard. Extra pillows and blankets may soften the discomfort, but it is not a solution. And what happens when there are 2 or 3 of us on a flight with the same problem....and no other empty seats to move to?

And no, I don't have the answers, I am just one of many on the receiving end of this problem.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 8:25 am

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
Originally Posted by 24left
And no, I don't have the answers, I am just one of many on the receiving end of this problem.
Well one solution is for AC not to sell 3 seats (or pick a number) in the J Cabin per flight and leave them empty in the eventuality that there will be some deflation issues. But that would cost AC alot more than the $1000 TPAC (or less TATL and even less Trans-continental) that they give out as compensation.

I as we have said here many times, the guess is that the vast majority of deflated seat issues go unreported and most people dont even know the seat is not supposed to feel like that.

It sure would be nice to hear which FINs have already been fixed with new seats/bladders, if any so far!
Old Dec 21, 2018, 8:29 am

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by 24left
Looking at the collection of deflated seats I've had - some the seat itself, most recently the lumbar which was rather painful in sleep mode thus no sleep....

I've had some where the seat was deflated upon boarding. This meant it was left as such from the inbound flight and either that pax didn't know, or report it, or the crew didn't tell maintenance. I advise the SD right away, they call maintenance who come onboard to do their thing. Watching them - and speaking with them where I learn things - is either informative or a bad comedy. (I have a photo of the last pre-departure pancake where the guy is busy pressing the firmer-softer button. And that is helpful how? If one is going to get maintenance, perhaps make sure the person is equipped with the basic knowledge). And this nastiness was for the 16 hour AC 15 to HKG.

On other flights, the SDs have done everything from the rondelle reset (works, sometimes), to the below-the-seat button/switch (also works, sometimes), to some other magical reset (which works, sometimes)

Aside from the painful experience in those seats when at FL390 and there is no other empty J to move to and none of the in-flight resets work, there needs to be a better solution from AC.

While I appreciate that they are working with Boeing or Collins or whoever to fix the problem, it is still ongoing and more of us are experiencing this more often. And AC is not ensuring that someone who paid $5,000 or perhaps more for their long-haul seat, is getting a seat that doesn't pancake.

Further, AC is not providing crews with proper alternate plans when this happens onboard. Extra pillows and blankets may soften the discomfort, but it is not a solution. And what happens when there are 2 or 3 of us on a flight with the same problem....and no other empty seats to move to?

Honestly, given the amount of business you give to AC (and for the purposes of this comment, whether it is OPM or not is irrelevant) I think AC should refund the price of the ticket. Maybe in the form of a coupon or voucher or 100% discount code, but they should. It would be the right thing to do. How about some actual customer service and recognition, AC? If this was any other industry, there is no question in my mind you would get something close to that. As a tangent (sort of), I know of somebody who almost got a new Mercedes SUV because the dealership cleaned their 4 year old car with an undiluted cleaner and they couldn't get the smell out. They eventually did but they were also clear on their last attempt that if it didn't work, the customer would get a new car. I think there are some decent analogies there. AC: you still got to your destination. MB dealership: you still had a working car. AC: it only entailed discomfort. MB dealership: it only entailed discomfort. So I am sympathetic with 24Left, and think that in some cases (and yes, 24's volume of business matters) AC has not been sufficiently forthcoming with compensation. (We think, there may well be more generous offers for compensation made that haven't been discussed publicly here -- if so, great.)
DNAwizard likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 8:56 am

I can sort of live with bad luck and getting a deflated seat as they are trying to fix, and sometimes I have a good run of no issues (just did 3 in a row all ok); but what really angers me is the stance that no compensation on a $3k one way if you don’t argue with crew in middle of night for a white form. About half say will report but never come back with form and then are running around for landing .

I had a multi medical the other day and the SD came with an envelope on board and said thanks from crew. I assumed it was literally a thank you note but when got home was a discount coupon (the usual one that’s usually eventually sent by mail). Why can’t that be done for on board issues instead of having to brave the write in process where it’s implicit that you are making it up ? E-ups, discounts etc all go to waste anyway.
Bohemian1 and DNAwizard like this.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 9:19 am

Programs: Aeroplan, SPG/Marriott, Radisson Rewards
I can sort of live with bad luck and getting a deflated seat as they are trying to fix, and sometimes I have a good run of no issues (just did 3 in a row all ok);
Just think how sad the state of affairs must be for you to say 3 flights in a row without a defective seat is a 'good run'.

... The sad part is, I agree that 3 in a row is a good run at this stage.
lallied likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 9:23 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by ridefar
Honestly, given the amount of business you give to AC (and for the purposes of this comment, whether it is OPM or not is irrelevant) I think AC should refund the price of the ticket. Maybe in the form of a coupon or voucher or 100% discount code, but they should. It would be the right thing to do. How about some actual customer service and recognition, AC? If this was any other industry, there is no question in my mind you would get something close to that. As a tangent (sort of), I know of somebody who almost got a new Mercedes SUV because the dealership cleaned their 4 year old car with an undiluted cleaner and they couldn't get the smell out. They eventually did but they were also clear on their last attempt that if it didn't work, the customer would get a new car. I think there are some decent analogies there. AC: you still got to your destination. MB dealership: you still had a working car. AC: it only entailed discomfort. MB dealership: it only entailed discomfort. So I am sympathetic with 24Left, and think that in some cases (and yes, 24's volume of business matters) AC has not been sufficiently forthcoming with compensation. (We think, there may well be more generous offers for compensation made that haven't been discussed publicly here -- if so, great.)
@ridefar
Thanks so much for your post, and support, for me and for all of us here who have been experiencing this problem repeatedly.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 10:03 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k SPG Platinum
AC has a new VP perhaps Craig will do something about this eventually.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.