Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Deflategate; new executive pods deflating in-flight

Old Nov 20, 2017, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Argonaut1000
Click here to go to a picture of the White Compensation Form and its stub

View Deflated Seat History Here (Database for submitted occurrences)
Enter New Deflated Seat Occurrence Here (Submit one if you have experienced deflated seat and it will show up in the database above)
----
From post #49 in this thread, here's one potential way to (re)inflate an AC seat:
  • Go the home screen "Your Seat". (find this on the seat side panel; not the main video screen)
    • Hold the top left hand corner "Air Canada" (with AC logo) for 3 seconds. Updated (Apr 9 18): may need to hold for as long as 45 seconds for key pad to appear
      • Dial pad shows up - hit 3-2-1.
        • Press "Reset Lumbar Support"
Note that this method has not met 100% success so YMMV.
A better method is for a crew member to use the reset switch under the seat, on the aisle side.

Compensation offers (green/white sheet completed)
40K AE- Apr 18 (50% back of the J class one way redemption)
2018 Jun - $500 coupon
2018 Sep $1,000 eCoupon or 40K AP (P fare TPAC)
2018 Sep $500 eCoupon (P fare TPAC) (no change on protest- update - 6 months later the $150 was increased to $500 - admitted they had made an error)

Compensation offers (no green/white sheet completed)
100K - May 5 (C$150 eCoupon; was moved to a functioning seat after meal service)
2017 Sept - 8,000 AE miles - reported via complaint web page after realizing it was a faulty seat, not standard discomfort; Asked for return of eUps but they declined.
2017 Nov & 2018 Feb - $500 coupons both times (second time on protest that $500 had been offered the previous time)
2018 Sep. $250 coupon (on a paid J TATL).
2018 Nov - $500 eCoupon (J TATL)

Standard eCoupon compensation offers (no haggling; following a recurring pattern)
~10+ hours: $1000
Long TPAC (TPE-YVR)

~6 to ~10 hours: $500
Short TPAC (NRT-YVR)
TATL
South America: YYZ-GRU

less than ~6 hours: 300
TCON

Have a Service Director (SD) That Is Giving You the Case of the Shrugs? Like the real life version of this ASCII emoji -> Ż\_(ツ)_/Ż ?

No success with the SD and/or crew rectifying your deflated seat and you can't be/aren't accommodated to another J seat? If you asked for a compensation form and the SD says they have no idea what you are talking about, you can use the below picture of the stub portion to help freshen their memory (better than nothing)...

Please note that for the longest time, the "Green Compensation Form" version was used, and there have been recent reports of the "White Compensation Form" replacing the Green version. Reports here have indicated that the two forms are virtually identical except for the colour.
There is now an even newer White Form which explicitly lists "deflated seat" and "deflated seat and fixed", among many other items.

Here is a snapshot of the NEWEST full form (as of August 2019), courtesy of lallied

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31421855-post2093.html
Originally Posted by lallied
Clearly jinxed myself. New form in case hasnt been posted before.

Oops, see it has been. I just didn’t look far enough down ☹️

This is only the stub portion, courtesy of lallied

There’s a main section which the SD fills in and detachable section you get to keep. Each has a reference number. It looks like the green one to me except it’s white.

Example

Mattress pads purchased and listed in this thread

Print Wikipost

Deflategate; new executive pods deflating in-flight

Old Nov 10, 2018, 6:33 am

Originally Posted by wysiwyg
Would someone have a picture of what the form looks like? It could come in handy when asking for it and the SD have no clue what we are talking about. Perhaps adding it to the WIKi (if it takes images) as well.
I just want to be prepared in case I experience it on my upcoming flight.

There’s a main section which the SD fills in and detachable section you get to keep. Each has a reference number. It looks like the green one to me except it’s white.

Example
wysiwyg likes this.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 10:12 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Flying Blue Gold, Accor Silver, Hilton Diamond
Thanks for posting the image.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 10:35 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by wysiwyg
Thanks for posting the image.
@lallied also posted it upthread on Nov 4

Example

Same as the former green form posted upthread on June 8

Originally Posted by 24left
Found one of mine. This is the tear-away position you are given by the SD.

wysiwyg likes this.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 12:02 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Corrected Link

I'm must be behind the times, but the online 'form' to report issues seems to be down - I'm using this link that I had bookmarked: https://help-aircanada.com/aircanada...ue.do?lang=ENU

The link is also straight from AC's Customer Support page and just ends up on their home page. So, is there some electronic option to provide feedback or is snail mail the option?

Never mind - the link is this - they didn't bother to update the other reference on their website to the old page. Sigh.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by yyznomad
Thanks. Maybe AC ran out of green paper or didn't like their green paper supplier.
Originally Posted by 24left
@lallied also posted it upthread on Nov 4

Same as the former green form posted upthread on June 8
I was only joking when I said they ran out of green paper or didn't like their green paper supplier, but they indeed seem to be identical other than the paper colour!
Old Nov 12, 2018, 10:15 am

Programs: SE100K, AEROPLAN 3MM, QANTAS CC, AMEX BLACK, FAIRMONT PLATINUM
I wish AC would consider going to the seats that ANZ uses where there is an actual bedroll and mattress cover that removes all the fuss of this deflation issue. For what it is worth, I have a deflated seat with AC more often than a non-deflated. Most common routing YYZ-SCL but several YVR to either BNE or SYD as well and nothing like 15 hours of having a piece of metal pointing in your lower body. Pure joy.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by SoundAdvice
I wish AC would consider going to the seats that ANZ uses where there is an actual bedroll and mattress cover that removes all the fuss of this deflation issue. For what it is worth, I have a deflated seat with AC more often than a non-deflated. Most common routing YYZ-SCL but several YVR to either BNE or SYD as well and nothing like 15 hours of having a piece of metal pointing in your lower body. Pure joy.
It could be worse. You could've paid extra for the privilege. Oh wait! You did.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 11:45 am

Programs: SE100K, AEROPLAN 3MM, QANTAS CC, AMEX BLACK, FAIRMONT PLATINUM
Originally Posted by wrp96
It could be worse. You could've paid extra for the privilege. Oh wait! You did.
That's the thing that AC doesn't seem to understand. When you do the revenue math, the front of the bus is hugely important to their profit model but increasingly, they seem to be putting little effort into justifying the value of seats that are often three or even four times more expensive with no where near that increment in service and, now moreso than ever, comfort. Fully understand that business class travelers are never the majority of any given flight but sound business practice would seemingly include taking care of your most frequent and highest paying clients and AC "gets this" in a very uneven manner. Having seats that work as intended seems like such a simple expectation that is, for me, being met only about 50% of the time. If I operated my business with that kind of fail rate I would not have the funds to travel business class in the first place. Wonder if that irony ever resonates in those brains that run AC?
Old Nov 12, 2018, 1:40 pm

Programs: AC SE
I had my first deflating experience last night from ICN to YVR. Seat 5A on C-FRTG felt a bit odd when I sat down but it wasn’t deflated. I took the express meal and went right to sleep. When I woke up it was 100% deflated. I told the SD who quickly reset it and it lasted the final 1.5 hours of the flight.

For those wondering, what others have said is true: You will know if it’s deflated. It’s a no-doubter.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 9:00 am

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
Sitting on a deflated seat on 103 today

The reset trick works as long as I keep doing it every little while

At least it's not too long a flight
Old Nov 17, 2018, 11:05 am

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
Originally Posted by TheCanuckian
For those wondering, what others have said is true: You will know if it’s deflated. It’s a no-doubter.
I would disagree with you. I knew it was uncomfortable, but I did not know it was not intended to be that way. My experience predated this thread so I did not know deflating mattresses was a thing. I have never even thought of upholstered air-filled mattresses. It never occurred to me to wonder how the hard/soft adjustment was produced. However, I knew that the flesh over my bony parts was pins and needles and it was painful, and the mattress was "bad", but I thought that was the way AC wanted the seat to feel. These are the same people that feed me steamed chicken with "butter" sauce on the side, alongside some wilted kale and "curcuma" rice. (I certainly would not pay money to feel that way, nor think it would be appealing to other customers, but I was eUp, and I tend to leave their business choices to them.)

If the percentage of failed J seats is small, why don't they just carry an adequate number of foam pads as interim remedies, until the need no longer exists because they have fixed it? I know you cannot carry everything on every flight for everyone on the off chance that something will be needed, but this is not an off chance, and foam is reasonably light and compressible and could be stored compactly.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 11:26 am

Originally Posted by flyquiet
I would disagree with you. I knew it was uncomfortable, but I did not know it was not intended to be that way. My experience predated this thread so I did not know deflating mattresses was a thing. I have never even thought of upholstered air-filled mattresses. It never occurred to me to wonder how the hard/soft adjustment was produced. However, I knew that the flesh over my bony parts was pins and needles and it was painful, and the mattress was "bad", but I thought that was the way AC wanted the seat to feel. These are the same people that feed me steamed chicken with "butter" sauce on the side, alongside some wilted kale and "curcuma" rice. (I certainly would not pay money to feel that way, nor think it would be appealing to other customers, but I was eUp, and I tend to leave their business choices to them.)

If the percentage of failed J seats is small, why don't they just carry an adequate number of foam pads as interim remedies, until the need no longer exists because they have fixed it? I know you cannot carry everything on every flight for everyone on the off chance that something will be needed, but this is not an off chance, and foam is reasonably light and compressible and could be stored compactly.
The seat frame is irregular so would need to be thick high density foam.

Conversely I managed to snag a non deflated seat on 848 Monday night AND a great crew and wonderful concierge at LHR so arrived ready to work for a change
Old Nov 17, 2018, 11:47 am

Programs: AC SEMM
Originally Posted by flyquiet
They might have a certification issue... I don’t know anything about certification of interiors, but know something about impact and crash at the structures level. At the systems level, I would guess that consideration of the survivability of the passenger includes the response of the seat cushion, at least the headrest. So if they officially introduce foam pads as a partial replacement for the air cushions, that is a equipment/design change. And then, I would hazard, that at the least, somebody would have to do an analysis, write it up, get approvals, ..., huge can of worms... does AC do it, seat supplier? much easier to ignore and deal with as an ad-hoc event on board (until previously discussed fix is implemented).

I, however, am traveling with a very compact inflatable sleeping pad purchased on Amazon for $30. Yet to use fortunately.
flyquiet likes this.

Last edited by visitor; Nov 17, 2018 at 4:55 pm
Old Nov 17, 2018, 4:41 pm

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
That is a convincing explanation, although if foam pads were truly a hazard, they should be obligated to prohibit use of customer's own - and yours - as well. (In another industry with which I am familiar, that is the case.)
Old Nov 17, 2018, 5:55 pm

Programs: AC SE100K MM, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Accor Diamond, National Emerald Club Exec Elite
Either I'm incredibly lucky or others are the opposite, but of at least 50 flights on these seats, I just had my first deflated one last week flying NRT-YVR. It was almost fully deflated when I initially took my seat. I advised the service director who reset it. Fortunately it stayed inflated for the entire flight.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.