Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Deflategate; new executive pods deflating in-flight

Old Nov 20, 2017, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Argonaut1000
Click here to go to a picture of the White Compensation Form and its stub

View Deflated Seat History Here (Database for submitted occurrences)
Enter New Deflated Seat Occurrence Here (Submit one if you have experienced deflated seat and it will show up in the database above)
----
From post #49 in this thread, here's one potential way to (re)inflate an AC seat:
  • Go the home screen "Your Seat". (find this on the seat side panel; not the main video screen)
    • Hold the top left hand corner "Air Canada" (with AC logo) for 3 seconds. Updated (Apr 9 18): may need to hold for as long as 45 seconds for key pad to appear
      • Dial pad shows up - hit 3-2-1.
        • Press "Reset Lumbar Support"
Note that this method has not met 100% success so YMMV.
A better method is for a crew member to use the reset switch under the seat, on the aisle side.

Compensation offers (green/white sheet completed)
40K AE- Apr 18 (50% back of the J class one way redemption)
2018 Jun - $500 coupon
2018 Sep $1,000 eCoupon or 40K AP (P fare TPAC)
2018 Sep $500 eCoupon (P fare TPAC) (no change on protest- update - 6 months later the $150 was increased to $500 - admitted they had made an error)

Compensation offers (no green/white sheet completed)
100K - May 5 (C$150 eCoupon; was moved to a functioning seat after meal service)
2017 Sept - 8,000 AE miles - reported via complaint web page after realizing it was a faulty seat, not standard discomfort; Asked for return of eUps but they declined.
2017 Nov & 2018 Feb - $500 coupons both times (second time on protest that $500 had been offered the previous time)
2018 Sep. $250 coupon (on a paid J TATL).
2018 Nov - $500 eCoupon (J TATL)

Standard eCoupon compensation offers (no haggling; following a recurring pattern)
~10+ hours: $1000
Long TPAC (TPE-YVR)

~6 to ~10 hours: $500
Short TPAC (NRT-YVR)
TATL
South America: YYZ-GRU

less than ~6 hours: 300
TCON

Have a Service Director (SD) That Is Giving You the Case of the Shrugs? Like the real life version of this ASCII emoji -> Ż\_(ツ)_/Ż ?

No success with the SD and/or crew rectifying your deflated seat and you can't be/aren't accommodated to another J seat? If you asked for a compensation form and the SD says they have no idea what you are talking about, you can use the below picture of the stub portion to help freshen their memory (better than nothing)...

Please note that for the longest time, the "Green Compensation Form" version was used, and there have been recent reports of the "White Compensation Form" replacing the Green version. Reports here have indicated that the two forms are virtually identical except for the colour.
There is now an even newer White Form which explicitly lists "deflated seat" and "deflated seat and fixed", among many other items.

Here is a snapshot of the NEWEST full form (as of August 2019), courtesy of lallied

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31421855-post2093.html
Originally Posted by lallied
Clearly jinxed myself. New form in case hasnt been posted before.

Oops, see it has been. I just didn’t look far enough down ☹️

This is only the stub portion, courtesy of lallied

Originally Posted by lallied

There’s a main section which the SD fills in and detachable section you get to keep. Each has a reference number. It looks like the green one to me except it’s white.

Example

Mattress pads purchased and listed in this thread

Print Wikipost

Deflategate; new executive pods deflating in-flight

Old Jul 20, 2018, 1:35 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
@YVRtoYYZ - Maybe we should just print out instructions to hand out pre-flight. Our way of giving back.

Sheesh.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Bohemian1
@YVRtoYYZ - Maybe we should just print out instructions to hand out pre-flight. Our way of giving back.

Sheesh.
AC was being kind to YVRtoYYZ... after all, s/he got to sample 10% of the J seats on that flight.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by yyznomad
AC was being kind to YVRtoYYZ... after all, s/he got to sample 10% of the J seats on that flight.
Following that (sarcastic) logic, AC should have charged them for three seats!

I guess sort of lucky for them, J wasn't full. It's still an awful defect rate.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 2:03 pm
formerly airedalemom

Programs: AC 25K, AF, Marriott etc......
Originally Posted by InTheAirGuy
This thread is the deciding factor that in my November flight to the Middle East, I'm taking Emirates and not AC, for myself and MrsITAG. $15,000 that Air Canada won't get. I need to see proactive acknowledgement that it is being fixed.

I know lots of folks around here -- all of us - make regular threats that we will go elsewhere etc etc. But in this case, I am. Not interested in YYZ-DXB with collapsing pods.
We flew Emirates last year in business class
You will be very pleased !
Old Jul 20, 2018, 3:38 pm

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by InTheAirGuy
This thread is the deciding factor that in my November flight to the Middle East, I'm taking Emirates and not AC, for myself and MrsITAG. $15,000 that Air Canada won't get. I need to see proactive acknowledgement that it is being fixed.

I know lots of folks around here -- all of us - make regular threats that we will go elsewhere etc etc. But in this case, I am. Not interested in YYZ-DXB with collapsing pods.
to be fair, the collapse occurs (In my case) at approx 3 hr intervals... Like having a newborn that needs a drink, a change and then we all go back to sleep.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 4:48 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by canolakid
to be fair, the collapse occurs (In my case) at approx 3 hr intervals... Like having a newborn that needs a drink, a change and then we all go back to sleep.
Disagree. I've had varied deflation intervals including 6hrs, 3hrs, 45mins, and immediately after re-inflating. I've also had no success in re-inflating and the seat remain inflated for the duration of the flight. As far as I am concerned - and based solely on my 23% deflation rate in the last 10 months - once you're in a seat that is deflated, the occupant will be continually re-inflating it for the remainder of the flight .
ridefar and canadiancow like this.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 5:35 pm

Reading through this thread, I noticed this blast from the past (Dec '17):

Originally Posted by canadiancow
I was told that a fix is in the works, and should be ready soon.

Yes, I could be more detailed. No, I won't share it on FT.
I guess if there is a fix, it's apparently evaded several recent flights for a few folks on this forum. Either that or "soon" is defined using the geological time scale.

(And no, I'm not trying to shoot the messenger. Unless he was just being ironic.)
Old Jul 20, 2018, 8:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Bohemian1
Reading through this thread, I noticed this blast from the past (Dec '17):

I guess if there is a fix, it's apparently evaded several recent flights for a few folks on this forum. Either that or "soon" is defined using the geological time scale.

(And no, I'm not trying to shoot the messenger. Unless he was just being ironic.)
I repeated what I could. I agree that the fix, if it was rolled out, has not lived up to what I was told.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 9:57 am

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
I repeated what I could. I agree that the fix, if it was rolled out, has not lived up to what I was told.
Ahh so it's your fault then........
I recently had a deflated seat, It's the worst I have ever experienced too. Nothing worked. The FA laid down an extra duvet, with the incontinence/pad cover over it.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 10:26 am

Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
Ahh so it's your fault then........
I recently had a deflated seat, It's the worst I have ever experienced too. Nothing worked. The FA laid down an extra duvet, with the incontinence/pad cover over it.
Incontinence pad?

Thanks, I'll never look at (or touch) those things the same way ever again.
canolakid and islandcub1 like this.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 2:07 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond. Air NZ Elite
C-FPQB MEL-YVR Seat 1a back rest was deflated as soon as I sat down, had a problem with my gluten free meal not being loaded so didn’t bring up the seat until we were in the air. Told FA and they just said sit in 1d and that was the last of it. Didn’t try to reset it since I ended up in The seat next to me.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 10:09 am

Just a datapoint got a $1000 ecoupon for paid J on TPE-YVR Nov. 2017, seems like compensation has decreased drastically since.

Green form filled out by SD.

No more booking AC Transpacific for me. EVA/ANA is the new go to.

Last edited by bakersdozen; Aug 21, 2018 at 7:17 pm
Old Aug 21, 2018, 12:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
You think $1000 has decreased from other offers?
knotseh likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 3:57 pm

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
You think $1000 has decreased from other offers?
I was wondering the same thing....I think I had read that many are now offered something less than $1000.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 4:22 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Plumber
I was wondering the same thing....I think I had read that many are now offered something less than $1000.
Why are passengers getting differing amounts for same/similar flights ? Based on fare class ? Status ? Dartboard ? Amount of deflation

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.