Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Deflategate; new executive pods deflating in-flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 20, 2017, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Argonaut1000
Click here to go to a picture of the White Compensation Form and its stub

View Deflated Seat History Here (Database for submitted occurrences)
Enter New Deflated Seat Occurrence Here (Submit one if you have experienced deflated seat and it will show up in the database above)
----
From post #49 in this thread, here's one potential way to (re)inflate an AC seat:
  • Go the home screen "Your Seat". (find this on the seat side panel; not the main video screen)
    • Hold the top left hand corner "Air Canada" (with AC logo) for 3 seconds. Updated (Apr 9 18): may need to hold for as long as 45 seconds for key pad to appear
      • Dial pad shows up - hit 3-2-1.
        • Press "Reset Lumbar Support"
Note that this method has not met 100% success so YMMV.
A better method is for a crew member to use the reset switch under the seat, on the aisle side.

Compensation offers (green/white sheet completed)
40K AE- Apr 18 (50% back of the J class one way redemption)
2018 Jun - $500 coupon
2018 Sep $1,000 eCoupon or 40K AP (P fare TPAC)
2018 Sep $500 eCoupon (P fare TPAC) (no change on protest- update - 6 months later the $150 was increased to $500 - admitted they had made an error)

Compensation offers (no green/white sheet completed)
100K - May 5 (C$150 eCoupon; was moved to a functioning seat after meal service)
2017 Sept - 8,000 AE miles - reported via complaint web page after realizing it was a faulty seat, not standard discomfort; Asked for return of eUps but they declined.
2017 Nov & 2018 Feb - $500 coupons both times (second time on protest that $500 had been offered the previous time)
2018 Sep. $250 coupon (on a paid J TATL).
2018 Nov - $500 eCoupon (J TATL)

Standard eCoupon compensation offers (no haggling; following a recurring pattern)
~10+ hours: $1000
Long TPAC (TPE-YVR)

~6 to ~10 hours: $500
Short TPAC (NRT-YVR)
TATL
South America: YYZ-GRU

less than ~6 hours: 300
TCON

Have a Service Director (SD) That Is Giving You the Case of the Shrugs? Like the real life version of this ASCII emoji -> Ż\_(ツ)_/Ż ?

No success with the SD and/or crew rectifying your deflated seat and you can't be/aren't accommodated to another J seat? If you asked for a compensation form and the SD says they have no idea what you are talking about, you can use the below picture of the stub portion to help freshen their memory (better than nothing)...

Please note that for the longest time, the "Green Compensation Form" version was used, and there have been recent reports of the "White Compensation Form" replacing the Green version. Reports here have indicated that the two forms are virtually identical except for the colour.
There is now an even newer White Form which explicitly lists "deflated seat" and "deflated seat and fixed", among many other items.

Here is a snapshot of the NEWEST full form (as of August 2019), courtesy of lallied

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31421855-post2093.html
Originally Posted by lallied
Clearly jinxed myself. New form in case hasnt been posted before.

Oops, see it has been. I just didn’t look far enough down ☹️

This is only the stub portion, courtesy of lallied

Originally Posted by lallied

There’s a main section which the SD fills in and detachable section you get to keep. Each has a reference number. It looks like the green one to me except it’s white.

Example

Mattress pads purchased and listed in this thread

Print Wikipost

Deflategate; new executive pods deflating in-flight

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2018, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by InTheAirGuy
This thread is the deciding factor that in my November flight to the Middle East, I'm taking Emirates and not AC, for myself and MrsITAG. $15,000 that Air Canada won't get. I need to see proactive acknowledgement that it is being fixed.

I know lots of folks around here -- all of us - make regular threats that we will go elsewhere etc etc. But in this case, I am. Not interested in YYZ-DXB with collapsing pods.
Well, good for you (serious, not joking).
People think I only fly AC when it's an option, but I have flown on other carriers for my TATLs and transborders quite often, for various reasons (quality, price, timing, etc.).
I'd be a 3MM by now if I stuck with AC though.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 5:50 pm

Programs: Air France Flying Blue, Altitude SE-100k, AAdvantage, United Mileage Plus, WS rewards, BonVoy Titan
I think the standard comp is $150 for a deflated cushion, at least that's what I got recently...
Old Jul 17, 2018, 5:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by james dean
I think the standard comp is $150 for a deflated cushion, at least that's what I got recently...
You're SE - but were you moved to a functioning J seat?

According to this thread so far, anecdotal evidence shows SEs who didn't fill out the green form and moved to a functioning seat (which also includes having the SD have a non-rev in a functioning J seat to swap with you), got $150.

Several have said they received $500 after filling out the green form (meaning no available functioning J seat).
Old Jul 17, 2018, 5:58 pm

Programs: Air France Flying Blue, Altitude SE-100k, AAdvantage, United Mileage Plus, WS rewards, BonVoy Titan
Originally Posted by yyznomad
You're SE - but were you moved to a functioning J seat?

According to this thread so far, anecdotal evidence shows SEs who didn't fill out the green form and moved to a functioning seat (which also includes having the SD have a non-rev in a functioning J seat to swap with you), got $150.

Several have said they received $500 after filling out the green form (meaning no available functioning J seat).
Oh really, I was SE and was told no other seat avail. This was Oct 2017!! I got the green form too, but was only granted $150 about six weeks later. Darn I was robbed!
Old Jul 17, 2018, 6:16 pm

Programs: Ice Cream Club, AC SE MM, Bonvoy Life Plat
How about non status (ie not eUped) nonreward filling out a green form, AC 33 YYZ-YVR only... My first deflated seat. Honestly it just felt like a funny waterbed... Told no other seat available, odd given I was forced into that seat, seatmap showed no open seats, yet flight was J6... But I didn't identify the issue until well into the boarding process...

Will I get my 5% voucher?
Old Jul 17, 2018, 6:51 pm

Programs: E35K, FPC Platinum
I was on an AP reward yyz yvr and had a waterbed seat the whole time. Sd fave the green sheet.
Had 12000 ap deposited into my account with no notice. When i followed up asking they stated that the miles had been added a long time ago.
I responded that typical compensation was more than that. No response.

AC is taking a very nonchalant approach to this issue. Really gives the attitude they do not care
Old Jul 18, 2018, 4:30 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by DrunkCargo
Will I get my 5% voucher?
Only if you drop your lawsuit...
Old Jul 18, 2018, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by YVRYEGYVR
I was on an AP reward yyz yvr and had a waterbed seat the whole time. Sd fave the green sheet.
Had 12000 ap deposited into my account with no notice. When i followed up asking they stated that the miles had been added a long time ago.
I responded that typical compensation was more than that. No response.

AC is taking a very nonchalant approach to this issue. Really gives the attitude they do not care
Interesting.

Every time I've filled out the green form (for various reasons), I've received an eMCO.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 10:54 am

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Just to clarify that in my case I was on an eUp but there were no other J (or even PY) seats available.

The SD was really good in trying to fix things, although I saw nothing particularly illuminating on the part of the green form he filled out. Regardless, I got what I thought was the 'standard' $500 eMCO. And this was as a lowly E75K.

Not sure why others would get so much less. Maybe it's how the SD completes the form???
Old Jul 18, 2018, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Bohemian1
Just to clarify that in my case I was on an eUp but there were no other J (or even PY) seats available.

The SD was really good in trying to fix things, although I saw nothing particularly illuminating on the part of the green form he filled out. Regardless, I got what I thought was the 'standard' $500 eMCO. And this was as a lowly E75K.

Not sure why others would get so much less. Maybe it's how the SD completes the form???
Length of flight also matters, IIRC.
Not saying that it was necessarily your specific case, but just something that reminded me of it.
DrunkCargo likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 11:11 am

Originally Posted by yyznomad
Length of flight also matters, IIRC.
Not saying that it was necessarily your specific case, but just something that reminded me of it.
Good point. In my case it was a TATL from FRA to YVR.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 12:29 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
With a few exceptions, the difference between most of these flights is far far more than $500.

For example, J and PY for FRA and YVR is what, $2k (obviously it varies)? If I paid $3k for FRA to YVR in J and got a deflated seat when PY was $1k I'd be most unhappy with $500.
AC prides itself on their J hard product being worth the extra over other airlines. I get how you still have additional space, aisle access, two proper meals and everything else but the majority of the cost overhead is meant to be for a decent seat.

Difference between E and Z costs (yeah I doubt AC IT could handle that) or $100 an hour would all seem far more reasonable to me. Or a complete copay and eUp, bid pay or LMU refund (minus $100 for food, lounge etc..) for those afflicted following an upgrade.

But as long as we continue to pay for it instead of taking our $$$ elsewhere as a few people have, why will AC find a reason to change?
Old Jul 18, 2018, 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by jc94
AC prides itself on their J hard product being worth the extra over other airlines.
Speaking from limited experience, I can say that AC sometimes takes the "hard" part of the product quite literally. Ouch.
DrunkCargo, jc94 and songsc like this.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 2:24 pm

Programs: TK *G
Originally Posted by Bohemian1
Speaking from limited experience, I can say that AC sometimes takes the "hard" part of the product quite literally. Ouch.
AC has a quite "solid" hard product
Old Jul 20, 2018, 1:33 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Marriott Titanium
C-FGEO DEL-YYZ
7A - backrest deflated
7D - cushion deflated
6A - home for the remaining 12hrs of the flight.

Throughout the process, I got to:

1) Teach 2 FAs on the lumbar reset process;
2) Correct the SD on the lumbar reset password;
3) Learn where the toggle on/off switch is for the pod electronics.
jc94 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.