Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Deflategate; new executive pods deflating in-flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 20, 2017, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Argonaut1000
Click here to go to a picture of the White Compensation Form and its stub

View Deflated Seat History Here (Database for submitted occurrences)
Enter New Deflated Seat Occurrence Here (Submit one if you have experienced deflated seat and it will show up in the database above)
----
From post #49 in this thread, here's one potential way to (re)inflate an AC seat:
  • Go the home screen "Your Seat". (find this on the seat side panel; not the main video screen)
    • Hold the top left hand corner "Air Canada" (with AC logo) for 3 seconds. Updated (Apr 9 18): may need to hold for as long as 45 seconds for key pad to appear
      • Dial pad shows up - hit 3-2-1.
        • Press "Reset Lumbar Support"
Note that this method has not met 100% success so YMMV.
A better method is for a crew member to use the reset switch under the seat, on the aisle side.

Compensation offers (green/white sheet completed)
40K AE- Apr 18 (50% back of the J class one way redemption)
2018 Jun - $500 coupon
2018 Sep $1,000 eCoupon or 40K AP (P fare TPAC)
2018 Sep $500 eCoupon (P fare TPAC) (no change on protest- update - 6 months later the $150 was increased to $500 - admitted they had made an error)

Compensation offers (no green/white sheet completed)
100K - May 5 (C$150 eCoupon; was moved to a functioning seat after meal service)
2017 Sept - 8,000 AE miles - reported via complaint web page after realizing it was a faulty seat, not standard discomfort; Asked for return of eUps but they declined.
2017 Nov & 2018 Feb - $500 coupons both times (second time on protest that $500 had been offered the previous time)
2018 Sep. $250 coupon (on a paid J TATL).
2018 Nov - $500 eCoupon (J TATL)

Standard eCoupon compensation offers (no haggling; following a recurring pattern)
~10+ hours: $1000
Long TPAC (TPE-YVR)

~6 to ~10 hours: $500
Short TPAC (NRT-YVR)
TATL
South America: YYZ-GRU

less than ~6 hours: 300
TCON

Have a Service Director (SD) That Is Giving You the Case of the Shrugs? Like the real life version of this ASCII emoji -> ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ?

No success with the SD and/or crew rectifying your deflated seat and you can't be/aren't accommodated to another J seat? If you asked for a compensation form and the SD says they have no idea what you are talking about, you can use the below picture of the stub portion to help freshen their memory (better than nothing)...

Please note that for the longest time, the "Green Compensation Form" version was used, and there have been recent reports of the "White Compensation Form" replacing the Green version. Reports here have indicated that the two forms are virtually identical except for the colour.
There is now an even newer White Form which explicitly lists "deflated seat" and "deflated seat and fixed", among many other items.

Here is a snapshot of the NEWEST full form (as of August 2019), courtesy of lallied

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31421855-post2093.html
Originally Posted by lallied
Clearly jinxed myself. New form in case hasnt been posted before.

Oops, see it has been. I just didn’t look far enough down ☹️

This is only the stub portion, courtesy of lallied

Originally Posted by lallied

There’s a main section which the SD fills in and detachable section you get to keep. Each has a reference number. It looks like the green one to me except it’s white.

Example

Mattress pads purchased and listed in this thread

Print Wikipost

Deflategate; new executive pods deflating in-flight

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2020, 3:45 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
Seems like now, with all the cancelations, would be a good time to fix the fleet of bum seats.
Would that it were so simple.

For a long time, the fix has been held up by design and certification of the revised bladder that should eliminate the deflation issues. If that's still not done, no amount of time will get this fixed.

What they've been doing is just replacing the bladders that are known to be defective. But that requires knowledge by the pax and the the crew to point out and properly log the problem.

Replacing a bladder only takes ~10 minutes, so if AC had the new-design seats available, a small team could easily do an entire plane while it was on the ground just for a few hours for other maintenance, which happens often. So having the planes on the ground more doesn't necessarily do much of anything to help.

YEG_SE4Life had in the past provided some helpful updates. Not sure whether he might know anything about the current status.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 10:10 am

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
Here's hoping that the new bladder has indeed received all appropriate approvals and certifications, and that AC can use the upcoming downtime of most planes to properly fix this problem once and for all.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 10:32 am

Programs: E35K, FPC Platinum
They absolutely won't. My prediction.
Any funds/relief from feds will flow to other channels, and optics of saying we are fixing "a minor issue" ( because of how low they obviously prioritize this) in the business cabin, vs helping employees, supporting shareholders, something for economy cabin etc.

AC is sitting in their own deflated seat 5K, still long way from landing, looks like more turbulence and no meal service. seat belts on folks.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 10:34 am
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite 2+ Million Miles
delete

Last edited by skybluesea; Dec 21, 2020 at 1:38 pm
Old Apr 7, 2020, 3:19 am

Programs: BA Gold · A3 Gold · DL Gold · VY apologist
Originally Posted by YVRYEGYVR
They absolutely won't. My prediction.
https://www.flyertalk.com/articles/a...ing-seats.html
Old Apr 7, 2020, 3:51 am

Programs: AC E75K, spouse E75K (MM), National Emerald, various hotel programs
I'll let you in on a little secret, check the date of the article.
Old Apr 7, 2020, 6:57 am

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by YYC traveler
I'll let you in on a little secret, check the date of the article.
No April Fools, it's the real deal. Redesign of the cushion (back and bottom) has been completed and currently in production pending installation beginning this month.
Old Apr 7, 2020, 7:24 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
@alanw

Yes, the problem with that article you linked is that the source was this thread (now closed), and no one at FT deleted or changed the article on that main FT page.

(April Fools) Air Canada Announces it will utilize downtime to fix deflating seats

Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD
No April Fools, it's the real deal. Redesign of the cushion (back and bottom) has been completed and currently in production pending installation beginning this month.
Yes, they are supposed to install a newer (I'll use these words) "less problematic seat". I am among many who have said that a seat that doesn't inflate, will not deflate and that is what should be on aircraft, given the heavy use, wear and tear and so on. But AC seems to like inflatables.

But hey, the upside is: few people are flying and so complaints are way down.
fin 645, flyquiet and ecc like this.
Old Apr 7, 2020, 8:47 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Great news, thanks for the update

Any idea how long it will take to produce the new seats and get them installed? Is it something that gets done in a few weeks, or will it be months?
Old Apr 7, 2020, 8:58 am

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Great news, thanks for the update

Any idea how long it will take to produce the new seats and get them installed? Is it something that gets done in a few weeks, or will it be months?
Although my calculation is a little dated, there are about 1,800+ J seats of this configuration that would need to be retrofitted. So, months seems far more likely than weeks, even assuming AC takes advantage of the current downtime for their aircraft.
Old Apr 8, 2020, 10:10 am

Programs: E35K, FPC Platinum
I stand corrected!

Although, they still make the narrative work- that something like this will keep employees working, so everyone is happy.
I may have been wrong about buying AC at 15$ too.

At least my bum will be comfortable a few months from now, hopefully.
Old Apr 8, 2020, 4:42 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Marriott Titanium
Any insight as to the replacement just being new bladders or a whole new cushion like the new A333 J-seat?
Old Apr 9, 2020, 3:17 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 50K/Star Alliance Gold, Accor Gold, base level Marriott/Hyatt/Hilton
Originally Posted by YVRtoYYZ
Any insight as to the replacement just being new bladders or a whole new cushion like the new A333 J-seat?
Hopefully and probably the latter. Given that they'll have to install the new PE product across the fleet, they may as well improve their J product as well. The small tweaks they've made on the new A330 are very welcome.
Old Apr 11, 2020, 7:49 pm

Programs: M-Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Aeroplan 50K, DragonPass, AMEX MR, NEXUS
So will AC be actually updating any of the aircraft while they are in storage? It seems like the perfect opportunity to get rid of the deflategate issue! But given that AC will be short on funds, I have a lot of doubt that they will do anything... unfortunately
Old Aug 1, 2020, 7:44 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Marriott Titanium
Because this thread has been buried and presumably limited people are exposed to the deflating potential, I'll share an experience that reminded me of flying in J.

Camped outside and immediately reminded that my narrow camp mattress was similar width to the J seat, so I ended up sleeping similar to on the plane (back/side). Awoke around 4am with that similar sensation of feeling the mattress being "bubbly" and the hard ground beneath. Unlike the plane, there was no 3-2-1 option.

I specifically did not use my flying air mattress but would have been well-served to do so.
dr_torch and yyztozag like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.