Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Deflategate; new executive pods deflating in-flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 20, 2017, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Argonaut1000
Click here to go to a picture of the White Compensation Form and its stub

View Deflated Seat History Here (Database for submitted occurrences)
Enter New Deflated Seat Occurrence Here (Submit one if you have experienced deflated seat and it will show up in the database above)
----
From post #49 in this thread, here's one potential way to (re)inflate an AC seat:
  • Go the home screen "Your Seat". (find this on the seat side panel; not the main video screen)
    • Hold the top left hand corner "Air Canada" (with AC logo) for 3 seconds. Updated (Apr 9 18): may need to hold for as long as 45 seconds for key pad to appear
      • Dial pad shows up - hit 3-2-1.
        • Press "Reset Lumbar Support"
Note that this method has not met 100% success so YMMV.
A better method is for a crew member to use the reset switch under the seat, on the aisle side.

Compensation offers (green/white sheet completed)
40K AE- Apr 18 (50% back of the J class one way redemption)
2018 Jun - $500 coupon
2018 Sep $1,000 eCoupon or 40K AP (P fare TPAC)
2018 Sep $500 eCoupon (P fare TPAC) (no change on protest- update - 6 months later the $150 was increased to $500 - admitted they had made an error)

Compensation offers (no green/white sheet completed)
100K - May 5 (C$150 eCoupon; was moved to a functioning seat after meal service)
2017 Sept - 8,000 AE miles - reported via complaint web page after realizing it was a faulty seat, not standard discomfort; Asked for return of eUps but they declined.
2017 Nov & 2018 Feb - $500 coupons both times (second time on protest that $500 had been offered the previous time)
2018 Sep. $250 coupon (on a paid J TATL).
2018 Nov - $500 eCoupon (J TATL)

Standard eCoupon compensation offers (no haggling; following a recurring pattern)
~10+ hours: $1000
Long TPAC (TPE-YVR)

~6 to ~10 hours: $500
Short TPAC (NRT-YVR)
TATL
South America: YYZ-GRU

less than ~6 hours: 300
TCON

Have a Service Director (SD) That Is Giving You the Case of the Shrugs? Like the real life version of this ASCII emoji -> ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ?

No success with the SD and/or crew rectifying your deflated seat and you can't be/aren't accommodated to another J seat? If you asked for a compensation form and the SD says they have no idea what you are talking about, you can use the below picture of the stub portion to help freshen their memory (better than nothing)...

Please note that for the longest time, the "Green Compensation Form" version was used, and there have been recent reports of the "White Compensation Form" replacing the Green version. Reports here have indicated that the two forms are virtually identical except for the colour.
There is now an even newer White Form which explicitly lists "deflated seat" and "deflated seat and fixed", among many other items.

Here is a snapshot of the NEWEST full form (as of August 2019), courtesy of lallied

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31421855-post2093.html
Originally Posted by lallied
Clearly jinxed myself. New form in case hasnt been posted before.

Oops, see it has been. I just didn’t look far enough down ☹️

This is only the stub portion, courtesy of lallied

Originally Posted by lallied

There’s a main section which the SD fills in and detachable section you get to keep. Each has a reference number. It looks like the green one to me except it’s white.

Example

Mattress pads purchased and listed in this thread

Print Wikipost

Deflategate; new executive pods deflating in-flight

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2019, 11:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by worldclubber
Let me say "thank you" this way, as the "like button" could be misinterpreted as "I like the compensation proposed by AC".

Just did the conversion of 500 Canadian dollars into Euros and cannot say I am too happy about the sum offered, would have much rather had a comfortable seat. Will most likely not book AC again any time soon, which means the 500 dollar voucher is pretty much worthless.
Well if you want to say "thank you" a different way, I can think of a cow who would make good use of it
Old Sep 5, 2019, 11:48 am

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Well if you want to say "thank you" a different way, I can think of a cow who would make good use of it
I hear you and will think of when it becomes clear that I cannot use it. ^

May have some flights from YVR to AUS early next year, but will most likely not book AC TATL again. 500 dollars cash would be the lowest acceptable sum, but 500 dollars travel credit on AC is a joke for a failure to deliver.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 4:32 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Has anyone gone on social media about this? Seems like this should be a public shaming, given how many incidents are reported on FT alone.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 5:00 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
Has anyone gone on social media about this? Seems like this should be a public shaming, given how many incidents are reported on FT alone.
Go for it.

But AC doesn't care and neither would the media / public about a bunch of metaphorical fat cats not getting their tushies cushioned by air. So to speak.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 8:16 am

Programs: AC75K, Hertz 5*, Bonvoy Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
I've engaged with AC on twitter... they don't care. I've connected with Michael Tremblay on LinkedIn (who is listed as the director of customer relations at AC). He accepted my request, but has not responded to any politely worded direct messages, nor at this point do I expect any response.

I agree, the Canadian media will not care about a bunch of whiny J-class fliers not getting what they paid for. If a similar issue happened in economy, they'd be all over it.

It does feel like it has the makings of a class action suit, but honestly, who has the energy for that?

I'm just taking my business elsewhere to the degree that I can. Which means I will do the bare minimum in AQD, and seek alternative *A carriers where possible until this is resolved. I suggest we all do similar, as AC will not fix it until it starts to hurt their bottom line.

A.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 9:09 am

Originally Posted by aaamr

I'm just taking my business elsewhere to the degree that I can. Which means I will do the bare minimum in AQD, and seek alternative *A carriers where possible until this is resolved. I suggest we all do similar, as AC will not fix it until it starts to hurt their bottom line.
Exactly.

As am I and at least a few others who are able to on this forum.
Old Sep 9, 2019, 6:03 pm

Programs: AC E75K
An update on the deflategate 'permanent fix':

A permanent solution for the deflating seat issue did begin to roll out in late Spring of this year with the manufacturer of the aircraft. However, the manufacturer of most of our pod-style aircrafts is Boeing and with the grounding issues of their 737 Max 8 aircraft, the roll out of this seat correction has been slower then we originally anticipated. But we are optimistic that not only will we have the seating issue corrected, but that we will have our 23 Max 8 aircrafts back in our fleet as soon as possible.
Old Sep 9, 2019, 6:08 pm

Gee, if the manufacturer of pods is indeed Boeing, you think they would be less than busy say, making actual aircraft, and have lots of time to supply new seats.
canadiancow and gcashin like this.
Old Sep 9, 2019, 6:25 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Yeah, the Boeing division that writes software is about as far away as the team that makes seats as is the Apollo division.
Old Sep 9, 2019, 6:33 pm

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by RangerNS
Yeah, the Boeing division that writes software is about as far away as the team that makes seats as is the Apollo division.
But apparently they're both just as good as each other at their jobs.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 2:08 am

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
Originally Posted by RangerNS
Perhaps at first they knew about the hardware design issue all along and thought they could rectify it with software making the seat pumps constantly reactivate until they give out, because that's easier than an expensive re-design process. Where have I heard that before...
canadiancow, 24left and RangerNS like this.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 3:10 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Marriott Titanium
FIN 834 needed a reset in-flight. We shall see how long the reset holds.

Added to the wiki.

Edit: Second reset also failed.

Last edited by YVRtoYYZ; Sep 10, 2019 at 4:25 am
Old Sep 10, 2019, 6:49 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
I think most everyone who has read this thread and/or posted a deflated seat experience and/or has had the pleasure of a park bench for 16 hours to HKG etc., and/or has had chats with the very nice maintenance guys, knows the following: there is a hole (possibly more than one) in the bladder/pump and whether the seat is "reset" with 3-2-1 on the side panel, or whether an AC employee resets it from under the pod itself, it is simply just that, a "reset" of the seat. It re-inflates. For a while. Possibly anywhere from 45 minutes to a few hours.

Regardless of how many times the seat is reset, it still has the hole(s), it is still broken and it is still not functioning as it was promoted and promised in AC's marketing materials.

It doesn't matter who at AC corporate knows and how many reasons they have as to why they have not yet replaced the seats. There are enough people at AC who do know, some of whom fly with us and have compassion for the situation.

Do not mistake a reset for a repair.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 10:51 am

Programs: UA 1K, MR Titanium, IHG Gold, National Exec
Top half of 1D on FIN801 (788) deflated on Sunday night. Rather uncomfortable, and the FAs reset it from the seat twice (each reset lasting about 45 minutes), but at least it wasn't an overnight flight I guess...
Old Sep 10, 2019, 1:37 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Marriott Titanium
Had an interesting chat with the SD on this flight. Apparently there are pictures circulating around AC Corporate of air mattresses being used in J. And the SD indicated that they have not been issued any directive/policy on the use of air mattresses; therefore, it is fine to use.
canadiancow likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.